Author Topic: Medical Professionals: Peer Review/introduction Thread  (Read 77849 times)

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Re: Medical Professionals: Peer Review/introduction Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 31, 2012, 02:33:03 PM »
I guess I'll update. I graduated and now I am a Registered Nurse. About to start work in med-surge.

Congrats!

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2012, 07:30:37 AM »
I guess I'll update. I graduated and now I am a Registered Nurse. About to start work in med-surge.

Awesome!

And I totally LOVE that avatar! The "RN" is in the "Superman" logo, so you are a "super nurse," (And your name "Robinelli" kinda fits with the RN also.)

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The purpose of life is a life of purpose
« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2012, 12:25:34 PM »

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »
Awesome!

And I totally LOVE that avatar! The "RN" is in the "Superman" logo, so you are a "super nurse," (And your name "Robinelli" kinda fits with the RN also.)
LOL Yes, I guess it does fit haha :) Thanks for comments.

Offline CulturedFool

• Prepper
  • To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
« Reply #184 on: September 13, 2012, 12:01:24 AM »
Started off as an EMT in '06.  Graduated from Neumann College in '08 with a BSN and currently work in home health.

Offline Kayakmom

• Prepper
  • Happy to be here.
« Reply #185 on: October 28, 2012, 09:01:45 AM »
Hi all!
I'm new to the podcast and the forums. I pretty much never give anything other than very basic medical advice on forums.
Education: MD
School: university of North Dakota
I started OBGYN residency and then decided on Family Practice. Wish I had done more wilderness medicine in training.
I've been in private practice since 2005.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #186 on: October 28, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »
Welcome Kayakmom and CulturedFool! 

Kayakemom, it's not too late to do some wilderness medicine training.  There are several good programs in the lower 48 but you may need to drive a bit of a distance.  Below are just a couple of events. 

http://www.nols.edu/portal/wmi/courses/wme/nd/

http://www.wildmed.com/wilderness-medical-courses/medical-professionals/wilderness-advanced-life-support.php

BP

Offline Memento_Mori

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2013, 04:48:15 AM »
Well, I have been an RN for about 2 years now in the ICU setting. Originally medical ICU (hypertension, diabetics, strokes, liver failure, kidney failure, etc), and now I'm surgical/trauma.

Right now I am wanting to further my education. Since I started nursing school I want to go for CRNA, but before I even started I concidered Naturopathic medicine. When I went to a seminar for those interested in that field though they made it sound more like I would be dealing with people who had something like terminal cancer and had no hope left, looking for some miracle cure. Well thats just not what I wanted to do. Now I've gotten more and more into natural real foods and learning more about the toxins we eat every day. I feel pulled toward a desire to educate people about these things. I see my pts come in everyday getting heart surgeries, arterial diseases, and of course all of the "chronic" conditions that started it all. But guess what, they are over weight, smoke, eat bad things, and take a pill for the pills that they take for their chronic problem.
So I guess I'm a little torn. I just don't see any professional field for this. At least not in my area. Anybody who tries to say, "Hey maybe if you just change your diet and exercise and get the toxins out of your life and replace them with benefical things, we could just get you off this medicine", well that person is just crazy, a quack.
On the other hand, for the most part I could feel ok being a CRNA. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe we can convert completly to natural medicine. Thats not going to cure a ruptured appendex, or save the the car crash victim with a hemo/pneumo. So, as a CRNA I'm helping these people, and helping with peoples pain which I'm all for. I'm just not sure if this will keep me satisfied, and the burden of not being able to work through school and massive loans I would have to take don't help either.

Offline Koldsteel

• Prepper
  • Bee Wrangler and Band-Aid passer
« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2013, 09:48:45 PM »
Welcome Memento_Mori.

I know exactly where you are coming from. I understand the frustrations the polypharmacy and poor diets cause. And the further frustration that discussing these things with a patient could kill your legitimacy with the patient. Do the best you can with those who seem receptive to maybe a discussion on diet to reduce their meds. If they bite, give them a little more education and let their responses lead you. Good luck.

PS- those gas passing nurses are real LOONS !!!!  :o

Offline Chappy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #189 on: September 30, 2013, 06:34:16 PM »
Well, my two cents worth...

I was originally certified as an EMT in 1988. 
I am currently a Paramedic, BLS Instructor, with all the relevant merit badges (ACLS, PALS, AMLS, ITLS, blah, blah).

I work in an urban system and volunteer in a suburban / rural system.

Offline MahoganyEclipse

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #190 on: October 06, 2013, 04:41:36 PM »
      Wow theres a world of talent in this thread alone! I'm new to the forums and have actually started school for Medical Specialties and am four months into it, this includes medical assisting, CNA, phlebotomy, basic pharmacology and basic radiology. I really want to be an EMT one of these days too but I'll just have to see how that goes.  :)

Offline Cylon

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bashing the bush all over WA.
« Reply #191 on: October 06, 2013, 04:56:39 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a contract paramedic (also firefighter and rescue technician) working on remote mine-sites (surface, underground, offshore, onshore, operational, construction and exploration) (mainly iron ore with some gold and also oil and gas) in the bush in Western Australia, I do this weird ass Frankenstein chop job that incorporates trauma but also extended care and consultations in a quasi doctors surgery treating coughs colds and sore holes.

Thankfully I do have a doctor that I can call when I get a "what the hell?" Moment. 

Offline dswaim

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #192 on: October 23, 2013, 07:13:34 AM »
Howdy,

I work in Sports Medicine.

I am a State of TX Licensed Athletic Trainer and have been working professionally since 2006.  We are trained to recognize, manage, treat & rehab acute & chronic athletic injuries.

Offline Bones

• Survivor
« Reply #193 on: October 24, 2013, 01:35:49 AM »
Howdy,

I work in Sports Medicine.

I am a State of TX Licensed Athletic Trainer and have been working professionally since 2006.  We are trained to recognize, manage, treat & rehab acute & chronic athletic injuries.

Welcome dswaim - look around, peek in the cabinets and open the drawers. Lots of friendly folks here willing to help.

Offline CombatPeds

• Prepper
    • My Page
« Reply #194 on: November 11, 2013, 11:06:51 AM »
Hello everyone!

My name is Ben.  I have worn a lot of hats in the medical scene.  I was a basic EMT for a couple years.  I then did some drug research for Eli Lilly for 2 years.  That was awful and terribly boring.  I got my degree in paramedic science and started working on my RN.  I worked as a RN/EMT-P at a Level One trauma center for several years before going to medical school.  Now I am a physician in the US Army.  I include emergency preparedness in all of my anticipatory guidance. 

Offline BigMat

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #195 on: November 13, 2013, 09:27:16 AM »
Very impressive resumes!

a couple years of volunteer Search and Rescue in college (I was the Search part of the team, but this lit the fire for me)
A few more years on an Ambulance
Now I am a RN in an ED.  I have only worked in ERs and a nurse though, I have no idea what goes on upstairs.

Always scheming on the next step but I'm very happy with where I'm at.

Offline Dan_The_RN_Man

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Dan The Paracord Man
« Reply #196 on: January 04, 2014, 08:17:35 PM »
Newly minted RN here. Prior to that I was a CNA on and off for ten years.  I have a previous bachelors degrees in geriatrics and gerontology.  I was on a search and rescue team for five years and was certified as a wilderness EMT. I work for the US Department of Veterans Affairs.  I don't know where I will be placed yet, but I'm hoping for Med/Surg. Eventually I would like to specialize in cardiac nursing in either a telemetry or ICU setting.  Time shall tell.  Since the VA paid for my nursing school, they kind of get to tell me where I'm going to be.

Offline ArtWinn

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2014, 07:49:59 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I became an RN pretty late in life (49).  Before that I was an EMT and worked a couple of years on the street. Then I moved inside and worked the ER at Albert Einstein Medical Center in North Philadelphia. Currently I work as a Neuroscience RN at HUP in West Philadelphia specializing in epilepsy. With all the great resumes in this thread I feel I'm in good company.  :)

Offline JonA

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #198 on: March 03, 2014, 06:00:56 PM »
Hello all,

New to preparedness and my field.  Graduating from PT school with my DPT in August.  Glad to see so many medical professionals are also involved here. 

Offline Bones

• Survivor
« Reply #199 on: March 03, 2014, 07:45:20 PM »
Welcome: JonA; ArtWin; and Dan the Rn Man!

May you find like spirits here to share with and learn from.

Offline RootStrike

• Prepper
« Reply #200 on: March 30, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »
I've been listening to TSP since around 2009 or so. I am a pharmacist as well, as was Leung Jan, the father of Wing Chun.
There is so much info here in the forums, I'll keep reading and type a bit when I can. Glad to meet you all.

Offline JohnnyUtah

• Prepper
« Reply #201 on: March 31, 2014, 09:53:26 AM »
RN, CEN. Emergency medicine since day 1.  I'd rather dig ditches than work in another area. 

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2014, 07:01:54 PM »
I'm digging up my old threads for updates tonight :) The last time I posted on this thread I had just accepted my first nursing job after having completed my BSN degree.  I've moved on since that first nursing job and I'm now working in a pediatric ER.  I've been there for the past 8 months.  I am also working on my masters in nursing, family nurse practitioner.  I have completed 1 full year.  I cut back to part time starting this fall, so I'll finish my MSN December of 2016.  :D

Offline Bones

• Survivor
« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2014, 02:24:48 PM »
Strong work Robinelli - as a PA myself I can tell you there are plenty of good paying jobs for MLPs with peds ER experience. Good luck in school.

Offline heliotropicmoth

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Nothing is troublesome that we do willingly" -TJ
« Reply #204 on: July 24, 2014, 03:51:37 PM »
EMT Basic in SW Ohio. My fiance and I both went through school at the same time. Our local volunteer fire department paid for our training. We are on call for the station one day a week, and go on runs, if we are available / not drinking  ;), the rest of the week. We are also both volunteer fire fighters, but my fiance won't step foot in a burning house, I love it.

Patrick

Offline RangerRick

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #205 on: July 24, 2014, 06:34:44 PM »
My friends call me RangerRick,
I have about 40 years working where there is no sanitation, bright lights, a warm safe place or doctors that can help me out.
Most of my life is military, disasters and backwoods farmers fixing. I use lots of herbs, tinctures, potions of sorts and some things from the kitchen.
My nightmare is delivering babies, did 7 during the Blizzard of 78, much rather do a gun shot wound.
I teach classes on the use of fish antibiotics, colloidal silver,sugar / honey and golden seal for wounds, using super glue and pine pitch for closing up a wound although I really like the stapler and other such relevant things.
Although some of my treatments  aren't what you will find in a medical facility , We, the patient and I are still alive.
I trust I shall learn from you all, if you find I may be of help to you, feel free to contact me.
I live in North Idaho and teach my skills thru out the American ReDoubt for free.

Offline JeffRN

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #206 on: September 22, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »
I am an RN with 2 years of ICU experience. I also just started school for advanced practice as a Nurse Practitioner.  Prior to nursing I was a civil engineer specializing in water resources and power plants.  I am also a registered attorney (hard to believe, i know).  All schools attended were in ne ohio.

Offline mnotlyon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #207 on: September 22, 2014, 01:29:28 PM »
I am a certified Emergency Medical Responder in the state of Missouri.

I'm not sure that qualifies as a medical professional though. They taught us how to put on gloves, and hold the patients hand until somebody smarter than us shows up.  ;)

Offline jborho

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #208 on: September 23, 2014, 11:12:29 AM »
Paramedic in the suburbs of St. Louis Mo, 20 something years.  Last ten years have been in the ER, working side by side with the nurses and not responding calls anymore.  I start a ton of IV's and medications, and 12 leads.  Critical care is my love.  Spending most of my days off in the garden or building up the family storage of supplies.

Offline herewego

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #209 on: October 22, 2014, 11:25:38 AM »
Hey everyone, I can't remember if I posted to this before but I think not. Anyway, I'm an RN. I got my license at the end of April of this year and started working in June. I am an admission nurse for a small, rural hospice company in North Texas. Basically, I drive around a lot, hang out with people, and create a plan of care aimed at helping them feel good. I get a lot of autonomy with my position: ordering drugs, scheduling my time, working without direct supervision a lot of the time. I'm far more interested in wilderness medicine and emergency medical skill prep than anything. It's just hard to fork up the money to take courses when you know that money has to go to pay the student loan....