Author Topic: Medical Professionals: Peer Review/introduction Thread  (Read 80033 times)

Sherman A. House

Re: Medical Professionals: Peer Review/introduction Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2010, 07:23:37 PM »
Hello everyone,
Been lurking here for awhile...figured it's time I say, "hello."

I recognized, "Tosser."

I originally started out my journey as a cop, and then got politicked to death, and went into a combined fire/ems department.  Then lateralled through several, and also worked for a dedicated county MEDIC ONE service.  Collected three degrees (criminal justice, philosophy and cell biology) and decided that I wanted to be a dentist.  While in dental school, I became the medical program director for Tactical Response Inc., whose proprietor and my friend, James Yeager, is well-known here.  Graduated dental school and am now a Hospital Dentist in Nashville TN.  I work in a facility that is for all practical purposes a, "dental ER," and I get to work in just about all phases of dentistry and oral medicine, but 95% of my time is spent pulling teeth, removing wisdom teeth surgically, and draining/medicating abcesses.  I love every minute of it.

I'm glad to be here, and hope to be of help.

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2010, 07:30:12 PM »
Welcome! As you can see there are lots of healthcare professionals on these boards, kind of made me feel right at home! ;) I'm just next door in Arkansas and a practicing pill peddler (pharmacist for the younger crowd ;D). hope you enjoy and learn as much as i have. phargolf

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2010, 01:33:01 PM »
Hello House, your knowledge and experience is welcome here!

Berserker Prime

Offline Tosser

• Prepper
  • Punish the deserving...
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2010, 07:06:22 PM »
Hello everyone,

I recognized, "Tosser."

I originally started out my journey as a cop, and then got politicked to death, and went into a combined fire/ems department.  Then lateralled through several, and also worked for a dedicated county MEDIC ONE service.  Collected three degrees (criminal justice, philosophy and cell biology) and decided that I wanted to be a dentist.  While in dental school, I became the medical program director for Tactical Response Inc., whose proprietor and my friend, James Yeager, is well-known here.  Graduated dental school and am now a Hospital Dentist in Nashville TN.  I work in a facility that is for all practical purposes a, "dental ER," and I get to work in just about all phases of dentistry and oral medicine, but 95% of my time is spent pulling teeth, removing wisdom teeth surgically, and draining/medicating abcesses.  I love every minute of it.

Sherman!

How goes it sir?  Good to see you made the trip over.  PM inbound to you.

Sherman A. House

« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2010, 07:14:07 PM »
What's up man?

Working like a dog...as always!

Thanks for the welcome everyone!  Glad to be here!

Offline BrianSTL

• Prepper
  • ACTUAL poster of 'Change' posted in Chinatown, SF
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2010, 01:08:34 PM »
Hello folks,

I am a pharmacist, working on my masters degree and I am SO happy to have such a wonderful and positive group as exists here. I have been listening to Jack since around his 30th podcast and he has helped this preppers attitude. I have prepped for a number of years but from a paranoid perspective.
That's done and over. And cannot thank Jack and all of you for your great input and ideas.

This year I want to move to my BOL, my slice of heaven on earth here in Missouri. I have joined a CSA and will fresh vegetables all summer, which will augment what I grow.

I simply want to thank all of you. This place rocks!

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2010, 06:57:44 PM »
Welcome! As you can tell from my username, i am a pharmacist too (although i'm sure i'm a LOT older ;D). I practice in Arkansas in a small town. I have already learned alot on this forum and I have been prepping for a long time!

Offline Bones

• Survivor
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2010, 06:04:50 PM »
I guess it's time for me to intro myself over here on this thread. Long time casual poster on the forums.

19 years as a PA, mostly in Emergency Medicine, 7 years as a Paramedic prior to PA school. Currently working in N Texas (Plano). Desert Storm vet (Army) with interests in preparedness, gardening, and firearms/reloading. I've taught with Medical Corps (Chuck Fenwick's group) and have few courses I teach myself on field medicine that combind my military and civlilian backgrounds.

I've been a TSP listener since episode 40 and really enjoy Jack's philosophy on self-sufficiency. Glad to see there's a cadre of med pros here helping monitor the advice being put out there.

Offline DrBob

• Prepper
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2010, 12:34:34 PM »
Bones,

Great to hear we have a field medicine teacher just across the city limits line. I'm in the N.Dal area also. Might be interested in taking one of your classes. Way I see it, you can never be too prepared. Heck of a lot better to be ready for an emergency that you hope never happens.
DrBob

Offline BrianTN

• Prepper
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2010, 02:12:53 PM »
I'm a soon to be third year medical student (about to take the first part of the boards) and look forward to reading as much as I can regarding medicine in this area.

Offline DrBob

• Prepper
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2010, 04:52:40 PM »
Hello everyone,

I recognized, "Tosser."

Hey Sherman!

Welcome aboard! You ought to trot on over to the Field medicine category. There are a couple of other "tooth  fairies" like you and me over there. If you do a lot of dental emergency as a focus, there are a lot of folks on that thread/category asking questions right up your alley. Bro, you are going to like this forum!!
DrBob

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2010, 05:25:10 AM »
I'm a soon to be third year medical student (about to take the first part of the boards) and look forward to reading as much as I can regarding medicine in this area.

Welcome Brian! 
Getting Step I over with is a great feeling!  Good luck.

Doc K

Offline Hobbes_STi

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2010, 10:14:36 AM »
Well I think I should introduce myself here. I am a former national registered paramedic, went to the paramedic program at Creighton University in Omaha, NE. I quit doing this after 3 ish years to go back to school to finish my undergrad and try to get into med schools (Creighton is high on my list, my father and Aunt went there to get their M.D.'s)

Offline Koldsteel

• Prepper
  • Bee Wrangler and Band-Aid passer
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2010, 06:07:05 PM »
Hello all.

I'm a CRNA for the last 7 years.
Prior to that I spent 6 years as a Charge RN in a Level One ICU and ER.
Before Nursing I was a Paramedic for 6 years.

Interesting reading so far in this forum.

Kold

Offline Bones

• Survivor
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2010, 11:38:23 AM »
Hobbes / Koldsteel - welcome. We can always use a pre-med student and a gas-passer 'round these parts.  ;)

Offline pedsPA

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Freedom is 2 letters from Serfdom
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2010, 09:22:10 PM »
Well I'm definitely late to this parade.. Joined the Navy out of HS, was a Hospital Corpsman. Spent time at Neonatal ICU in San Diego, then with Marines. Used GI bill to go to college then PA school. Worked in Ophthalmic Eye surgery doing opening and closings, then took a commission and joined the Air Force as a PA.  Was a Triage officer for an Air Transportable Hospital unit, and worked in ER and Family Practice. Was then in the Air National Guard after got out of AF then worked in Occupational Med. for 3 years and moon-lighted in Pediatric practice. Then another Pediatric group asked me to work for them. Was there for 16 years until last Sept when one of the Docs and I became partners in a new Pediatric Practice. I know it was crazy to open a practice in the middle of the economic down-turn but we're doing ok. We live in an area with a need for Pediatrics.  Have also done 7 mission trips thru the years.  Great experience if you all get a chance. I highly recommend.  I'm fairly new to the prepper community so thank you for all the advice here. I know. I know..Navy, Air Force and Air National Guard..Crazy   :)

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2010, 05:45:34 AM »
Well I'm definitely late to this parade.. Joined the Navy out of HS, was a Hospital Corpsman. Spent time at Neonatal ICU in San Diego, then with Marines. Used GI bill to go to college then PA school. Worked in Ophthalmic Eye surgery doing opening and closings, then took a commission and joined the Air Force as a PA.  Was a Triage officer for an Air Transportable Hospital unit, and worked in ER and Family Practice. Was then in the Air National Guard after got out of AF then worked in Occupational Med. for 3 years and moon-lighted in Pediatric practice. Then another Pediatric group asked me to work for them. Was there for 16 years until last Sept when one of the Docs and I became partners in a new Pediatric Practice. I know it was crazy to open a practice in the middle of the economic down-turn but we're doing ok. We live in an area with a need for Pediatrics.  Have also done 7 mission trips thru the years.  Great experience if you all get a chance. I highly recommend.  I'm fairly new to the prepper community so thank you for all the advice here. I know. I know..Navy, Air Force and Air National Guard..Crazy   :)

Welcome PedsPA!
Great to have you aboard.

Doc K

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2010, 10:33:32 PM »
Welcome PedsPA!  You definately have some specialized knowledge that's very needed.  I look forward to hearing your ideas and inputs. 

V/r BP

Offline kimdvm

• Prepper
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2010, 05:32:42 AM »
Veterinarian from Indiana here.  I just work on dogs and cats these days.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2010, 01:29:46 PM »
Welcome Kimdvm!  It's nice to have your knowledge and expertise on board!

BP

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2010, 08:10:33 PM »
Welcome Kimdvm! Lots of specialties here, i always thought vets had the toughest job of all because their patients can't tell them any symptoms. Hop around, there are a lot of interesting topics in this forum and very knowledgable folks! ;)

Offline davestarbuck

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2010, 06:28:33 PM »
Another pharmacist here!!!

I graduated from The University of Connecticut in 1998 and have spent my entire career in retail pharmacy.

My family also includes 2 occupational therapists (sisters), and an ER doc (father).

Thanks for having me!!!

-Dave

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »
Welcome DSB! Seems there are a lot of pharmacists here. I too have been in retail but just a tad longer (34 years :D).This is a great site, especially for someone just starting to prep. Hope everything goes o.k. with your prepping. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you need help because noone is an expert at everything. Just an old geezers .02 ;D

Offline SurvivalMedicine

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2010, 07:57:26 PM »
Howdy. I am an Emergency Medicine physician.

Residency: Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix, AZ
15 years experience.
Spent time (brief) in third world providing mission care.

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2010, 06:53:42 PM »
Welcome SM! Lots of great people and info here. 8)

Offline rmcculloch

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2011, 10:23:58 PM »
Firefighter/Paramedic in S. California with around 8 years full-time experience, 5 additional years part-time.
We are a fairly large metropolitan agency with 63 station and 900 full time sworn personnel.

I am also on a medical team that does international medical missions following natural disasters/civil disturbances/etc.
Last major experience was following the Indonesian Tsunami in the Banda Aceh province.  Like nothing I have ever seen or ever will see again!

It's great to see soo many experienced and educated medical professionals on this board.

Offline SaltyHobbit

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2011, 02:25:55 PM »
Working on knocking out my pre-reqs for PA school now. Not sure if I'm going to try to have the Nasty Guard send me (cool opportunities) or go to civilian school. Any PA's in here who were military that went through military school? Also advice would be sweet if anyone has some.

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2011, 10:49:26 AM »
Started off as an Army Medic (18D) then worked 8 years as a civilian paramedic (2 years busy system, 6 years steady rural system) before I chose to get out of the medical/EMS world & take life in a different direction (about 2 years ago.) I loved instructing, from the classroom & field teaching Combat Lifesaver, to ACLS/PALS & inservices, to working as a field instructor.  Now I just teach my kids  :)

Offline Danbulance

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2011, 07:50:36 PM »
Hey there,
New to the forum but I figure by the name you can guess the job.  Paramedic in Missouri and have been for around 12 years now.  Nice to meet y'all.

Dan

Offline surfrescue

• Prepper
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2011, 08:39:28 PM »
I supose my username is a bit of a hint, but besides search and rescue work, I have been an EMT for 14 years.  My experience is almost entirely urban, and leans toward trauma more than medical.