Author Topic: Medical Professionals: Peer Review/introduction Thread  (Read 78681 times)

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
Medical Professionals: Peer Review/introduction Thread
« on: September 13, 2009, 11:38:43 PM »
First off, let me just say I'm not a doctor.

I've had some first aid courses in Jr College, and kept my First aid and Cpr certifications up to date up until about a year ago.
That's about the extent of my medical expertise.

That, and flipping through a copy of "Grey's anatomy" when I was 13. The reproduction section If I remember correctly ;D

But we have several doctors on the forum, also some combat and flight medics, nurses, nursing assistants, midwives, housewives, and a few folks like me who think they know how to stop a nose bleed.

So I'm starting this thread for all the medical professionals to introduce themselves, chitchat, argue, and generally convince each other they are what they say they are.

My hope is that if some unqualified person does attempt to pass themselves off as someone they are not, their ignorance will quickly become apparent when conversing with the real thing.

Dispensing medical advise is a dangerous thing, even for professionals.

So All you Doctors and nurses, let's come to the front of the class and introduce ourselves here so we can get to know you.
Where'd ya go to school?
What kind of experience do yall have?
Do you specialize in anything?

Offline ryerle23

• Prepper
Re: Medical Professionals: Peer Review/introduction Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 04:17:11 AM »
Hey man what about pharmacists ;)
Seriously though pharmacist can be a very useful resource in drug information/interactions.

I went to Washington State pharmacy school
Work nights as a hospital night pharmacist (FYI I don't count pills)
Also work some retail places i.e. Walgreens etc
Specialize in preventing you from dying due to med errors ;D

Offline cougar

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 06:05:00 AM »
Cave Dweller,
I like the thread idea, but i don't know how many of us will speak up.  I rarely admit to being a physician online because of the concerns of liability in our society.  However, i'll jump in and see how many others will as well (Doc K and Walker obviously have already admitted their careers).
School: University of Illinois
Experience: Rural practice for several years.
Specialty: Family Practice.

And i agree, pharmacists would be worthwhile as well...they have saved my bacon on more than one occasion.  ;)

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 06:13:49 PM »
Pharmacists, dentists, vegetarians, sorry, veterinarians, (public school victim can't spell) There's plenty of folks I probably missed.

Ryler23, pharmacists really gotta know a lot about drug interactions and such. I can see how you folks could save a doctor's bacon.

Couger, you are totally grey man. I had no idea you were a doc.
Glad to have ya.
The real benefit of this thread will be to have a central thread on which to alert folks about possible quacks.
And a place for the alleged quacks to defend themselves. (preferably the issue could be resolved via pm before holding a public duel)

At least that's the idea.

Offline cougar

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 06:51:40 PM »
Actually, cavedweller, i am a redneck farmboy who snuck into med school under the radar.  Most of the folks i went with were suburnites who thought i was the biggest hick they ever met.  I think i was the only med student i know of with the nickname 'bubba'.   :D

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 07:17:11 PM »
Not a bad idea, Cave Dweller.  Although, I doubt I would be able to spot a fake from a post like this.  I've never pimped in a forum setting!
I agree completely with Cougar about not usually advertising being a physician.  That is why I will post a disclaimer with any post where I give medical advice that is more than just common sense or clarification. 

School: Mayo Clinic
Experience: Active Duty Air Force
Location: classified (okay not really, but I'll be moving soon to who knows where); no deployments yet (my wife is thankful!);
I'm also a Fellow Candidate in the Academy of Wilderness Medicine
Specialty: Family Medicine

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 10:03:57 PM »
Is that a real air force emblem? The one combining the serpent n pole with the air force symbol?
Or something somebody just put together.

Either way it's pretty cool.

Every now and then I'll see somebody (claiming to be an expert) post something that I actually have some experience in, and it makes me lean forward and go "what the heck are they thinking? They should know better!"
Of course I've regurgitated wrong info too, and somebody in the know has corrected me. Usually it's no big deal. But medical stuff? Our bodies ain't quite replaceable yet.

Glad to have yall here, the beauty of the online community is anybody can say anything, but there are always experts ready to slap them aside.
I think it's how wikipedia stays mostly accurate. There's always somebody ready to say "what the @#%$ is this?"
 8)

Offline Doc K

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 04:41:50 AM »
Is that a real air force emblem? The one combining the serpent n pole with the air force symbol?
Or something somebody just put together.

Either way it's pretty cool.

Before medicine, I was a graphic designer.  It is something I made.  Glad you like it!

walker

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 10:09:11 PM »
Nice idea Cave Dweller.

Physician Assistant
Experience: 12 years, worked in remote and urban settings, from family practice, emergency medicine, spine rehab/brain injury, military medicine, occupational medicine, urgent care, and ENT.  I can't seem to settle into a single focus, and my path seems to stay on something for 2-3 years and move onto another.  What a wonderful thing it is to be a PA and enjoy the mobility.
School: Midwestern University
Specialty: whatever floats my interest, but I would say Wilderness/Remote Care Medicine is my passion

Couger, you and I are cut from the same cloth.  My nickname was "hillbilly" in school, and I made it into school merely by talking to the right person at the right time. (very long story)  I have done rather well for a high school failure hillbilly infantryman paying my own way, but it was pure desire and discipline that pulled me through.

Regards 

Offline cougar

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 10:21:34 PM »
"Pure desire and discipline"...definitely more valuable than pure intellect in the medical field.  I was far from the smartest in med school but as i tell the local rural kids, hard work pays off.
Not to highjack the thread, but what do you folks who are in the field think of 'healthcare reform'?  And on Jack's topic for the day, are you seeing any flu yet?  In Illinois they discourage us from subtyping flu for H1N1 but the number of flulike illnesses the past week has shot way up.

walker

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 11:36:47 PM »
I am not against "healthcare reform" in a general sense, but I am against anything that further expands govt involvement in our lives.  The price of Liberty is not only borne upon battlefields, but also in allowing individual accountability for life choices.  I will write nothing further about it in this forum to avoid hijack mayhem.       

I have seen sporadic H1N1 and seasonal flu cases here in the southwest, but no cases requiring hospitalization yet.  Now that school has been in session, I expect to see the cases jump.

Offline Doc K

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 05:53:12 AM »
I think America has the best medicine in the world.  I think our healthcare system needs some help.  I don't think the gov't is the one to do it though.

I am in the SE US, and we are seeing a lot of ILI (influenza-like illness).  Our infectious disease dept told us to stop swabbing for it, because greater than 95% of the people with ILI symptoms were coming back H1N1 positive.  ILI equates to chills OR fever (documented at 100F or above) PLUS cough OR sore throat.  That is capturing a large group of people.  Obviously some without H1N1.  Our protocol is that if a person calls and meets those criteria, they are routed to a nurse phone clinic.  If the person's symptoms are suspicious for strep throat or ILI with complications (and therefore needing treatment) they will get an in office visit.  If the person has a potentially at-risk person in the home (very young/old, chronic disease) then they will get prophylaxis.  We are trying to have some modicum of mild home quarantine for now.  It is really a practice run for when flu-season really kicks off.  We are still working out the kinks in the system now, as some people are still slipping through and sitting in our waiting room with 102F temps and cough and body aches, etc. 

I'm sure this will kick-off some conversation.  Maybe we'll need to move it to another thread.

Doc K.

Offline 91B30V

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 11:41:21 AM »
I am physician assistant with 15 years in Emergency medicine. 9 of those years in a inner city level one trauma center and the last 6 in a different 50 bed inner city/community ED.  I have also have moonlighted in a friends OB/GYN practice, walk in centers, and for 2 years I did international travel medicine clinic.

Prior experience to PA school as a 91B30V in the US Army.  Started based as a 91A10 on a floor in a Hospital. Then a Spc 4 in a troop medical clinic.  Wanted that "ARMY EXPERIENCE" and went to airborne and ranger school and ended up in an LRSD unit.

Schooling- Attended the Bowman Gray School of Medicine PA program, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem N.C.

I am pretty lucky as a PA that I get to work very autonomously in my ED. Its more like practicing as a Senior resident. There are no limits placed on me as to what I can or can not see or do.  The only request is if I feel like I need help just ask. I am no "Lone Cowboy".

As far a flu goes in the spring we were testing via swabs like crazy and getting a lot of positive for influenza A/B.  Wether it was swine flu or not, I never got feedback from the state on the swabs we sent out.  I would say a good 95% of those I saw just had typical flu symptoms and got better with support therapy. I did not give out that much tamiflu since most people showed up 48hours of greater after onset of symptoms.  Those that were very sick from the flu has some type of co-morbidity such as COPD, asthma, CHD, CAD and ETC.  Now that school is back in session there is a rise again, but nothing earth shaking.  I will approach this currently as I did before. Flu is flu and treat each patient on an individual basis and not on fear of hype. And by the way I really want to change the name of "Swine Flu" to "Dragon Flu" it make it sound so much cooler......... ::) ;D

Offline cougar

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 12:27:50 PM »
And by the way I really want to change the name of "Swine Flu" to "Dragon Flu" it make it sound so much cooler......... ::) ;D

Lol! Hadnt thought of that.  I hate H1N1 because it is not specific for this outbreak, just a strain.  I liked swine flu but due to it being anti-semitic and anti-pork there was the backlash.  Dragon flu...i like it, but i need to check with some of my chinese friends to make sure it is politically OK.
I must say, there are days i almost wish i had gone to PA school.  The flexibility to change specialties would be nice. 

Offline 91B30V

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 01:09:48 PM »
Cougar,

It is never to late to go to PA school.  In fact in my PA class I had a retired "full bird" colonel from the air force, who was a jet pilot.  Decided after he retired that he wanted to be a PA.  Food for thought.

Offline cougar

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 01:54:29 PM »
Not sure how they would view an MD who wanted to go to PA school.  At this point in my career i am considering something unrelated to medicine.  Perhaps building bunkers in the woods and making tinfoil hats.  ;)

Offline 91B30V

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 02:48:02 PM »
Cougar,

My apologies I should have paid attention to your previous post.  Tinfoil is always in when it fits the times.

Offline outdoorman63

• Survivor
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 03:16:21 PM »
Currently working with a Hospital based Ambulance service as a Paramedic, we cover 400 plus square miles of Urban,inner city and rural area's.
27 years experience in Fire/Ems and search and rescue with the last 20 as a medic.

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 03:31:28 PM »

We need a doc like Marshal Dillion and Fetus had, here! ;D I try to stay away from doctors and manage my ailments with herbs and over the counter drugs,I cheat a little with Canadian Pharmacies for Cialas.But I  have not found any way to get around a damn good surgeon yet! Hernia,last year made me go see the doc but I did my own diagnosis ;D. Welcome Doc!Hope you can give us some good prevention advice,just don't tell me to give up my cigars and we will be fine.  ;)

kiteflyer

quote author=Doc K link=topic=8803.msg97642#msg97642 date=1253011310]
Before medicine, I was a graphic designer.  It is something I made.  Glad you like it!
[/quote]

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 06:48:39 PM »
     We need a doc like Marshal Dillion and Fetus had, here! ;D I try to stay away from doctors and manage my ailments with herbs and over the counter drugs,I cheat a little with Canadian Pharmacies for Cialas.But I  have not found any way to get around a damn good surgeon yet! Hernia,last year made me go see the doc but I did my own diagnosis ;D. Welcome Doc!Hope you can give us some good prevention advice,just don't tell me to give up my cigars and we will be fine.  ;)

kiteflyer

quote author=Doc K link=topic=8803.msg97642#msg97642 date=1253011310]

Hernia surgery, huh?
That's a nice do it yourself project.
Lesee... you'll need a big mirror, a pair of scissors, sharp spoon... what else?

*walks away mumbling*

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »
CD, huge +1 for the thread!  

I'm an EMT I (working on II) here in Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay AK.  Certified EMT in the 80's and completed combat medic course in Panama early 90's.  

GOAL:  EMT III in the next year and a wilderness EMT cert soon.  Our newest PA Is a certified instructor, so getting a class will be easier.

Glad you guys stepped out of the shadows and identified your creds!  

V/r
Berserker Prime

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 01:41:58 PM »
Looks like there are quite a few medical personal that are far beyond my own level of education and experience.  That is nice to know.

As for me, I am a paramedic with three years under my belt.

Offline dangermouse568

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 03:17:02 PM »

I guess I'm not the only Pharmacist here. 19 years in a hospital.
Masters in Biology/Botany. Tend toward herbal medicine.

Glad to see other medical professionals are interested in prepping.

Offline tman61

• Prepper
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2009, 08:47:12 AM »
Greetings all,

I am a RN that started as a Medic in the Army about 30 years ago.  Currently I specialize in cardiac electrophysiology and work for industry.  Been a long time listener and one of the original Member Support Brigade members.  Wasn't sure I had anything to contribute, so this is my first post.

Offline cougar

• Survivor
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2009, 02:34:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum, tim!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 08:49:08 PM »
Nice avitar tman

Offline tman61

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 03:53:32 PM »
Thanks!  Called the four fluid stages of life.

Offline DrBob

• Prepper
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 09:00:49 PM »
Guess I'll wade in as the first one admitting to the dental profession. Baylor College of Dentistry ... 26 years experience. These days I focus a lot on the high tech stuff.

However, I have spent more total years as a professional musician, than as a dental surgeon. It's good therapy!

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 09:05:05 PM »
Welcome aboard DrBob!  Dentists are welcome to ;D!

Berserker Prime

Offline SaltyHobbit

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 08:23:54 PM »
Been a line medic since 04 before screwing up and starting to work in a military ER as the equivalent of a CNA that can suture, and IND. Trying to decide if I continue a path with medicine or start something else. Will go SF in the guard shooting for 18D.