Author Topic: Medical Professionals: Peer Review/introduction Thread  (Read 78459 times)

crnadoc

Re: Medical Professionals: Peer Review/introduction Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2009, 09:05:16 AM »
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA)
Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) - Finishing this as part of my doctorate program.

Private practice for the last 18 years.
Tactical Medicine holds great interest to me.

My wife is a pharmacist. (PharmD)

It is a pleasure to meet all of you.

Ron

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2009, 09:11:15 AM »
Welcome CRNAdoc and SaltyHobbit!

Offline ubergeek

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Numquam non paratus
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2009, 09:29:35 AM »
Totally out of practice now....but....

worked volunteer fire/rescue late 80's/early 90, mainly vehicle extractions, rescue dive missions, or complex entrapment rescues (think industrial accidents)
army medic for 4 years, actually saw some combat in the early 90's
army lpn worked first in a coronary care unit then a surgical ICU/open heart recovery, bcls instructor, acls, pals..etc, etc
come from a long line of medical folks, mom is a CRNP, sister is RN, aunt is CRNA, uncle is Emergency Med Dr.

Been out of the medical field almost 11 years now, since I got out of the army. I'm thankful for all the skills I have learned over the years, but pretty glad I've made the move into the IT field. If I had stayed in the military I would have gone for PA school...but I hated working in the hospital so that would have been my only option to get back to a line unit.

Offline bladesmith

• Survivor
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2009, 03:18:01 PM »
EMT-I with 15 years and have alos been through the Contoms (counter narcotics terrorism medical support) program and the NTOA tems(tactical emergency medical support) program.  Work for a volunteer service here in eastern Montana we don't practice rural medicine we are into frontier medicine out here.

Offline DrBob

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2009, 07:51:33 PM »
Welcome aboard bladesmith!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2009, 10:26:30 PM »
Guess I'll wade in as the first one admitting to the dental profession. Baylor College of Dentistry ... 26 years experience. These days I focus a lot on the high tech stuff.

However, I have spent more total years as a professional musician, than as a dental surgeon. It's good therapy!

Hmmmmm, that looks like it might be... a mandolin?  Whatever it is, it's gorgeous (your avatar).  Welcome aboard, and glad that we have a dental surgeon on the forum!  ;D  <--- clean teef

Offline Tennessee Mountaineer

• Prepper
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 04:29:40 AM »
Lots of Army medics here. Me-91B, 91C, back in the day, worked on the Nuclear Accident Control team. Now EMT-I and WEMT. Like Doc B spent years as a musician, It is good therapy.  Howdy from TN!

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2009, 03:04:49 PM »
Greetings all,

I am a RN that started as a Medic in the Army about 30 years ago.  Currently I specialize in cardiac electrophysiology and work for industry.  Been a long time listener and one of the original Member Support Brigade members.  Wasn't sure I had anything to contribute, so this is my first post.
Everyone has something to contribute. ;)

Ex-EMT here.  Worked the back of an ambulance & in ED's.  I've been out of it for a few years so you won't find me giving medical advice, probably not even if I was still was doing it.   I'm headed back to school in January to re-cert & re-license 'cause I just can't get it out of my blood.  I always loved the trauma calls the best.

Offline DrBob

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2009, 08:11:28 PM »
Hmmmmm, that looks like it might be... a mandolin?  Whatever it is, it's gorgeous (your avatar).  Welcome aboard, and glad that we have a dental surgeon on the forum!  ;D  <--- clean teef

Hats off to ya Sister Wolf! That's actually a very good guess. Its actually a banjo, A Stelling Staghorn to be exact.

Just like DeltaEchoVictor said abut never getting the EMT out of his blood, Tennessee Mountaineer will attest that we will also never get the music out our blood ... not till they nail the box shut.

If the balloon went up and we were all sitting around a campfire sharing a pot of homemade chili, the Mountaineer and I could strike up a tune to entertain you while Jack is pouring us a glass of homebrew. One thing I can promise you ... you won't hear any crying music. You will hear plenty of grinnin' and pattin' your foot kind of music!
DrBob

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 08:24:42 PM »
Hats off to ya Sister Wolf! That's actually a very good guess. Its actually a banjo, A Stelling Staghorn to be exact.

I was torn between banjo and mandolin.  I knew it was one of the two.  I think actually mandolins have 8 strings, right?

Anyhow, it's BEAUTIFUL.  I'd love to hear you play sometime!

Offline DrBob

• Prepper
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »
SW,

You're right. Most mandolins are acoustic and have eight strings, four sets of doubles. The lowest two  have an octave double. I once saw Ricky Skaggs playing one of the rare exceptions: an electric four string mandolin. But most have eight strings. Thanks for the compliment on my instrument. I waited and saved for a lot years to get one like this. I love it!!

Interesting side note: you can look back hundreds of years at either war times or economic hard times and see a common thread. Music was one of the most readily and easily applied boosters of morale for the masses of "regular Joes". Civil War ... they always had some one playing banjo or harmonica at the campfire. Great Depression ... some of the businesses that continued to thrive were the ones that had live music and booze. The Irish and the Brits in Ireland ... the small local brew pubs that did well against the many competitors had local talent playing music (which usually included a banjo player). WWII, Viet Nam, and Middle East were/are no different. Even back 200 years plus, Native Indians here, Mexico, and Central Mexico ... they always had music before a battle.

Music for marriages, births, deaths, anything religious or spiritual. Music speaks to the soul. Ever wondered why a certain song will zap you back in time many years to a moment of significance??? Your soul writes it on the hard drive of your brain's memory.

When the warriors have spent the day protecting the gates, the doctors have spent the day mending the wounded, the engineers have spent the day designing the next best defense weapon, the generals have spent the day deciding where to employ it, the farmers and the chefs have spent the day getting the evening meal ready ..... THEN the homebrewers and the musicians will spend the evening getting everybody else in a mood to do it all again the next day!! As a doc and a musician, I have a day job and a night job! Now that's job security!!!

I don't know if we have a thread on maintaining morale of the group, but if we don't we should. I have listened to over 250 of Jack's podcasts, and I don't remember hearing this addressed.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, but music talks to all of us. In a SHTF scenario, we really should plan to use the music to make us all stronger. DANG! I just realized that this is probably not where I should have been putting this stuff. If I just got myself in trouble, I apologize, put me in the time out corner. My bad. (But sincere)
DrBob

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2009, 10:08:32 PM »
Nothing out of place there, DrBob; it's all true.

I've been behind a prescription counter since I was 16; so, that will be 44 years in a couple months. I've done almost everything in Pharmacy; except radioisotopes (which I really was very interested in, too). For the last 17+ years, I've been helping take care of our nations veterans; it has been most rewarding. The first 5 years of that on the surgical floor, and the last 12 in an outpatient clinic setting. I pretty much spend each day talking with about 80-90 veterans, and sometimes helping some new Docs learn how to do things right.

I've been very much into natural and herbal meds for about 15 years, and the last few years into cellular nutrition. [I think the knowledge of nutrition, especially on the cellular level, is sorely lacking throughout most health professionals]

Paycheck---pretty low for the profession
Benefits----the private sector caught us
To serve those who served---priceless.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2009, 10:11:01 PM »
Yup, you're totally fine, Dr. Bob.  :)

Thanks for talking to us about music.  If you really want to see a "morale" thread, PLEASE start one!  Look for a place that looks somewhat appropriate on the forum, and then fwoosh, start a new topic.  Might be a good way to get Jack to see it and think about it.

Offline NightCat

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2009, 10:13:10 PM »
Hi everyone,

I was pleased to see this intro thread so thought i would jump in. I got my EMT1A cert awhile back but did not pursue it as a career due to the fact that pay was really bad. Now I'm getting my doctorate  in physical therapy (DPT). So when you throw your back out pulling weeds or your bug out bag is too heavy with the plasma tv in there, well...you will know who to call... ;)

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2009, 10:25:48 PM »
Yup, you're totally fine, Dr. Bob.  :)

Thanks for talking to us about music.  If you really want to see a "morale" thread, PLEASE start one!  Look for a place that looks somewhat appropriate on the forum, and then fwoosh, start a new topic.  Might be a good way to get Jack to see it and think about it.

Ahhh! Sis, I feel a SHOW IDEA coming on!  ;D

Holmes

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2009, 07:21:26 PM »
I'm an Occuapational Therapist.  No I will not get you a new job.....well maybe.  Anyway I work at a hospital and interact will a wide assortment of medical disciplines.  It is beneficial, and I love it.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2009, 12:56:33 AM »
Patient advocate, mostly doing social security and medicaid claims, as well as medicare early discharge hearings. I'll be going to medical school in 2011, God willing and the creek don't rise.

I also have some experience on an FDA advisory panel, and get regular updates and invites to meetings, particularly regarding new drugs/devices and recalls. I may start a thread on that topic if you all would like - I can just re-post the emails I get into the thread and you can keep tabs on things that have been recalled or relabeled. The most recent one I recall was a while back about some tainted heparin from china, where they make/extract it from pig intestines. Underpaid rural chinese workers making drugs from improperly prepared pig poop chutes. Yick.

I also worked in a biomedical research lab where I developed two devices which showed promise, but may never see the light of day. A third is in the works related to electrical stimulation and repair of spinal cord injuries, and luckily I was able to preserve my intellectual property rights to that one.

I have lots of little here-and-there hands on experience, and access to medical students and good working relationships with local physicians and individuals in the pharmaceutical industry, so I'm more than happy to find answers for folks, since if I don't have the information, I have access to the confluence of many disparate sources.

Cheers and all that to the rest of the medical professional/preppers.

*waves*

Orion

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2009, 05:38:53 PM »
Kudos, Orion, on med school. With what you've told us of your background, you'd make a great MD. Marcus Welby, look out! [sorry if i dated myself and he predates you ;)]

cptcaver

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2009, 06:32:05 PM »
Hey.  I am a physician.  I went to Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine.  I did an internal medicine residency in rural VA.  And I am now in a pulmonary fellowship at the University of South Carolina in Columbia.  My interests are in critical care and doing procedures and would like to take a tactical medicine course as soon as time allows.  My wife and I enjoy prepping, although I think I enjoy it a little more, and we will be moving to rural KY soon and starting a homestead up on about 5-6 acres. 

This forum is awesome and has a ton of great information and I appreciate all the answers that everyone has given me.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2009, 09:11:04 PM »
Kudos, Orion, on med school. With what you've told us of your background, you'd make a great MD. Marcus Welby, look out! [sorry if i dated myself and he predates you ;)]

No problem - I tend to get along better with old farts anyhow.

*tee hee*

And thanks - I had a couple of months recently when I decided I didn't want to be a doctor, then I had my grandmother transferred up to MCV in Richmond when a local hospital wanted me to pull the plug. Four hours later she was conscious, on a ventilator, and was writing notes telling the nurses (very attractive I might add) that I was single, and giving them knowing glances. We pick her up thursday-ish from the skilled nursing facility.

Not sure if it was the difference in atmosphere/level of care, or the attractive scenery (how you doin'?) that changed my mind, but I'm back on track. I scored a 29 on my MCAT without a prep course, set to take it again this spring.

In all seriousness, however, thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and encouragement/input/etc.

Orion

BetzCell

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
Heya folks,

Just tossing my hat  into the ring.  I'm a fourth year med student (yea, reeaaaaly professional  ;D ) heading into neurology.  That and $3.50 more of academic loans and I can buy a cup of coffee.  Great seeing all the real pros around here.  I hope to learn a lot from y'all!

Offline boredparamedic

• Prepper
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2009, 07:08:09 AM »
Been in EMS 24+yrs ,10 of that with FD until I got hurt so now still on the streets as a paramedic. Have done just about everything except helicopter (the only way you are getting me in one is unconscious)Work in a busy city and just when you think you have seen everthing, some dipwad comes up with something new !

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2009, 08:36:40 AM »
Hey.  I am a physician.  I went to Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine.  I did an internal medicine residency in rural VA.  And I am now in a pulmonary fellowship at the University of South Carolina in Columbia.  My interests are in critical care and doing procedures and would like to take a tactical medicine course as soon as time allows.  My wife and I enjoy prepping, although I think I enjoy it a little more, and we will be moving to rural KY soon and starting a homestead up on about 5-6 acres. 

This forum is awesome and has a ton of great information and I appreciate all the answers that everyone has given me.

Congrats on your soon to be homestead!  That's huge!  Please keep us posted with progress and pictures. 

BP

ALPHIE OMEGA

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2009, 12:30:43 PM »
Rn, now work in ER and ICU. Many years in surgery, Navy corpsman and Ex Army 91B
Live in the sticks on a ranch raise our own beef,pork and eggs. No milk cow right now but working on that again. Did make our own butter when had the Jersey for milk. Been prepping for 20 years. Have solar up,well ponds,spring stocked ponds more livestock
Teach classes on the side now Survival/tactical medicine communications,alternative power and more at the ranch
Next class in January of 2010 3rd weekend
check the website www.alphieomegatraining.com
Recent writeup in SWAT mag about our training July I think 2009
in Oklahoma outside Durant south central

Offline docred

• Prepper
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2009, 12:34:13 PM »
Im late to the party....

ER doc, finished 4 years residency for same in June, since then working at a busy ER in gorgeous new mexico.

Actually went to med school with cptcaver and his wife; they are great folks and they inspire and motivate my prepping. cptcaver has the best and most tolerant wife ever. I cant decide who is sexier; cptcaver or his wife.

Before medical school was a paramedic, EMT, did some volunteer sar around the mid-atlantic area. Am currently reading for written boards and also going through the candidate member program with the volunteer Mountain Rescue team here.

A lot of people have been commenting on their H1N1 experiences - we are still seeing sporadic cases; a few weeks ago we were just getting killed with flu cases - the overwhelming majority being motrin fluids work note home players, but I did send one to ICU for ARDS, a few diabetics with bad DKA, and a dozen or so cases of post flu pneumonia.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
Welcome Docred and AO!  Docred, is your experience with H1N1 living up with the media hype?  For that matter, let me post that question to all of you medical experts.....has the H1N1 been as bad as the Fed/Media been reporting?   

Docred, I did my time at Kirtland AFB NM and loved it.  Didn't care for city life, but enjoyed my time there.  Really miss the food!

Berserker Prime

Offline docred

• Prepper
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2009, 01:48:05 PM »
I think the media has really done a disservice to the community with the fear and hysteria they have whipped up.

In my experience, the overwealming variety of people with the flu have had what I would characterize as mild illness (although some of the patients might disagree) - but really if all you need is 5-7 days rest, some motrin and tylenol and lots of fluids, from my view you arent that sick. That said, a very few people get REALLY sick from this thing - we dont really have a handle on why or who until it happens.

That said, we have had tamiflu shortages and a lot of people with ILI. As nuts as thing was a few weeks ago, I cannot even imagine what things would have been like if we were seeing a consistent even 1-2% mortality.

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2009, 07:14:50 PM »
I dispensed a bunch of Tamiflu capsules yesterday. Not one order for liquid. Today, especially late this afternoon, I got whacked with a lot of orders for the liquid, which isn't available, so, we have to make it from the capsule contents.

Isn't it just amazing how kids get sicker the closer to they get to Sunday night and school on Monday? Things that make you go "hmmmm..."

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2009, 12:04:30 AM »
I just got over H1N!.  Yesterday was my first day back at work.  It was rough on me...knocked me in the dirt for a few days. six people in my family have come down with it in the last two weeks.  I was the last and was the hardest hit.  It was by no means fun, but it was the flu when is the flu fun.  Way over hyped in the beginning and even now.

Opted to skip the MD and treat myself, with a lot of help from my wife.  I'm thinking I made the right choice there.

Funny thing is that I was much more worried about bringing it home to my kids, but I ended up getting it from them. :)

Offline Altered Mental Status

• Prepper
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2009, 08:35:12 PM »
I'm a Paramedic working for a air medical company, Wilderness First Aid Instructor,BLS Instructor, and currently serving on a Disaster Medical Response Team and a bush crafter....

I'm new to the site so this is the first post!!!!!!! ;D