Author Topic: Cheaper Than Dirt  (Read 24470 times)

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
Cheaper Than Dirt
« on: September 14, 2009, 12:16:49 PM »
www.cheaperthandirt.com

Two years ago, I would have given CTD an A.  Now I give them a C.  Reasons below:

CTD has a large selection of gear, and ships promptly.  They have a solid return policy.  Sometimes they have great prices on various items, especially on closeout.  I recently got 20 G3 Aluminum mags for $.99 ea!

However, CTD has a few strikes against it.  First off, during the ammo shortage, they JACKED up thier ammo prices, much higher than was realistic.  In fact, while they have come down some, they are still increadibly high on ammo prices.  I no longer even bother to check them for ammo, because whenever they have it listed, I can find it cheaper from places like AIM, Ammoman, Dansammo, J&G, etc. 

Next strike is that they don't vet the quality of what they sell.  I have gotten junk SKS mags from them, a junk decatorive seaman whistle (returned for full refund), and a few other items that weren't up to par.  Definetly check user reviews and do some searches on items you aren't familiar with.

Last strike is that their shipping prices seemed to have gone up sharply recently.  I know overall shipping prices are high across the country, but CTD shipping seems MUCH higher than other sites I order from.

So overall, they are a reliable seller, have never had a bad experience with them, but their prices, ethics, and such make me check other sites and only go to CTD when I really need to take advantage of their wide selection, and always double check against other sites.

Offline Sharpe

• Survivor
Re: Cheaper Than Dirt
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 12:24:39 PM »
Those are some good points.  My buddies and I joke that we haven't found anything "cheaper than dirt" there in quite some time!

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 12:33:50 PM »
CTD is a pretty cool store. Never ordered online from them, but the storefront operation is fun. It is like any other surplus store, gotta watch out for the cheap imitation stuff. Haven't looked at ammo prices recently, I know it is very high so to keep my blood pressure low, I rarely look. We generally make a special trip to them twice a year to look around or when in the area, stop by and see what is new. You are so right about their clearance stuff, it can be really inexpensive.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 01:58:54 PM »
I recently bought from CTD and can attest to Serellan's plight. They have really raised their shipping.  :o However, I wanted to buy Joy one of the rough use knives like I have because they are extraordinarily durable. I have enjoyed mine immensely since I have bought it, and so I wanted to get one for Joy. I also bought some shemaghs from them, but this will probably be the last time I buy from them until they lower their shipping. I can also attest to the Ruger P series 30 round clip. I love that thing. Everyone rolls their eyes when I attach it to my Ruger.  ::) See?

;D

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 08:56:23 PM »
I have never ordered on line from CTD. We have a store close by in Ft. Worth. Ammo there is hit and miss. I have found good deals, mostly on Federal ammo and have seen very high prices. Mostly, I have purchased firearms there. In this area, the prices are hard to beat on handguns. In general, I prefer shopping in person, rather than on line. I like to hold it before I buy it. YMMV.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 10:19:58 PM »
I like to hold it before I buy it. YMMV.

Thats a good philosophy to have. I try to do research on any product before I actually commit to buying it, and a lot of that is heavily influenced on what others have said about the product.

Offline JokersWild

• TSP Mule
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • You can't save all the starfish.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 12:33:54 AM »
I've bought locally from them at the last few gun shows. A friend of mine has vowed to never buy from them again after they got insane on their prices during the initial phases of Obamascare. There's a lot of bad blood out there due to their price jacking with ammo and magazines and it's understandable.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 09:05:28 AM »
No CTD store nearby here, have to use mail order. I am one of those who will not order from them for a number of reasons:
1. They had a buyers club (for a fee) which they summarily ended with no notice or explanation. When I received the first catalog without club pricing, I called and was finally told they had ended the program, but that my discounts would be applied "automatically" when I ordered. I asked how long my membership was good for, and he would not tell me. No refund on the club fee either, even prorated.

2. My last order with them was for multiple bags of 6.8 brass. I received confirmation of the order. A few days later I received an email telling me the items had shipped. A day later I was told that - contrary to the order shipping, they had run out and they would only be shipping 40% of my order. +1 on the notification, -1000 on the complete and utter lack of integration between sales and inventory. I have stopped buying from any online store that does that to me. Companies need to take a page from MidwayUSA and conduct their business like they do.

3. The price run-up - on ammo and on magazines - was the last straw. It did not mirror other price increases, it was excessive. But that's OK - you can be a jerk in business all you want, I will vote with my checkbook and deal with more reputable companies.

I am fortunate in that locally I do have 3 large chain sporting goods stores (with guns and ammo), a Mom and Pop gun store, plus a Mills with an adequate gun shop and surplus aisles all within three miles of each other. Not to mention mail order. So I do not need CTD and will not buy from them.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 09:18:36 AM »
They seem to be hit or miss lately.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 05:00:38 AM »
I got burned on their club membership as well, I had it for about 3 years, the last time I renewed they canceled the program about 2 months later, and yes with no notice or anything. I was also pissed off by their outrageous price increases leading up to last November, I'm sure they lost allot of business because of that. I still get their catalogs and I look through them and then search online for a better deal. It's one thing to increase prices to reflect what your paying for the new product but it's another thing to just tack on $10 to every gun magazine that holds 10 rounds or more, or double the price of ammo.

Offline Chairo San

• Fledgling Prepper
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Vaguen0ti0n
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 03:18:02 AM »
I have been ordering from them off and on for about 10 years and have been a satisfied on a constant basis. however, last order i was about to place (about 6 months ago) for the mil-spec shotgun scabbard (od green) i found a better deal at HQ for about $10.00 cheaper. That pretty much made me take a second look at their prices. For a long time they were very inexpensive, but no-a-days with all the competition they seem to be going the other way. Oh well, if Brigade wants my business and is willing to give me a better deal then my business they shall have. Lastly,  anyone ever order any of their molle backpacks? last one I ordered fell apart at the seams...strike 2.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 09:59:23 AM »
I ordered one of their molle backpacks. I made it my BOB. I havent put it thru the paces as I havent had to bug out, but so far so good with it.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 08:19:59 AM »
After what they did with their ammo prices I figured that Cheaper than Dirt is now Expensive as S#!+

and I will never do business with them again.

AC

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 01:12:26 AM »
Cheaper than Dirt is now Expensive as S#!+

Made me LOL  :D

+1

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 09:32:03 AM »
They also refuse to sell just about anything remotely scary to california.  I refuse to do business with CTD.

Offline Remman

• Survivor
  • Forty Deuce
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 01:18:16 PM »
I will never again buy from them after the stunt they pulled during the Obama scare.

Offline TMUSCLE

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 01:52:37 PM »
The only online store I buy from is MidwayUSA...put me on the list of people that will never shop at CTD again!  That was truly price gouging.

Offline SteveInTx

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 03:29:16 PM »
Their retail store used to be a lot better back before y2k.  Now it is just another gun shop with quite frankly some really high prices. 

rochwitt

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 04:07:12 PM »
Never had a problem ordering from them.  Always fast shipping and decent prices.  Bets the heck out of BPS any day.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 04:22:57 PM »
Welcome aboard rochwitt, when you get a chance head on over to The intro section located in The Front Porch and introduce yourself.

Offline JeepGeek

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 08:50:26 AM »
Just to chime in here...
Around the time of the 2008 election I had an AR-15 stripped lower and was looking for a "completion kit" of parts.  CTD had one for $650, and then seemingly overnight the price jumped to $999.  I won't do business with a company with such ethics.

Offline Ripperjack

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 01:19:34 AM »
Ive bought, twice now, 5.56 ammo bulk from CTD, along with other assorted gear - thus far the prices have been competetive to my local area or better - and the shipping couldnt be beat.

I'd say, from what Im seeing here, that they're definately hit or miss depending on the item(s) and time ordered I guess.

I suppose they're like any surplus joint - got alot of stuff and trying to make money off it...

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 09:56:39 PM »
Most of the stuff I bought from CTD was CHEAP for sure.  Not the price, but the quality.  Now it is one of the last places I'd source from.

Offline Mortie

• Prepper
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 10:04:23 PM »
I never buy from Cheaper Than Gold Dust for all the reasons mentioned above.

Offline bigjimcalhoun

• Prepper
  • fat older balding guy
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 08:29:09 AM »
Like many of the posts above, I will never buy from the.  I remember the day after the election when a box of 7.62x39 jumped to $10/box and they were too foolish to ever fix their website, as it showed a negative 40% savings.

Aim Surplus did not jack up their prices.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
I use to love CTD, but I have not been impressed for about 10 years.  And it seems to be getting worse

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 02:52:53 PM »
I bought a set of brass punches from them and they were so soft it was ridiculous. They all bent up real bad after just a few strikes. That was about ten years ago and I have never bought anything from them since.

Offline templar223

• Survivor
    • GSL Defense Training
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 10:20:47 AM »

I'm all for free enterprise.

Just as they have a right to ask what they wish for their products, I'm free to shop elsewhere.

And that's exactly what I'm going to do.

John

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 11:47:44 AM »

I'm all for free enterprise.

Just as they have a right to ask what they wish for their products, I'm free to shop elsewhere.

And that's exactly what I'm going to do.

John

Almost as good as this one:

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 12:06:49 PM »
that is about right ???