Author Topic: THE PRETEXT: A GREY MAN CONCEPT  (Read 2476 times)

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
THE PRETEXT: A GREY MAN CONCEPT
« on: November 09, 2008, 08:59:32 AM »
THE PRETEXT: A GREY MAN CONCEPT

Pretexts are used by good guys and bad guys all the time. This is nothing earth-shatteringly new to examine and I am sure we have all had experiences with this in some form or another in our own lives.

But pretexting is useful to review.

The question is, how can you adapt the pretext to be a useful part of your survival repertoire?

For starters…

From the Washington Post, “A pretext is a false motive put forth to hide a real one. "Pretexting," pretending you are someone else...”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/08/AR2006090801856.html

Pretexting is an important piece of tradecraft and a useful tool at times.

For the survivalist, it’s a tool to be used to keep yourself ambiguous and mislead others when necessary.

As a practicing “Grey Man”, it’s important to have a plan in place when you make contact with strangers and “single-serving” friends. Let’s face it, no one really cares about your story unless they can profit from it personally. So why give them something useful? Give them a cover story instead. Do you really want to share personal information with folks you don’t trust?

When you travel somewhere, have a reason to be there, and a pretext to go along with it too. Conceal your identity as well as your motives to keep safe from harm.
Develop a character persona that’s believable enough, but doesn’t make you a target for exploit. Know and develop sufficient background info about your character persona to maintain your charade for as long as you may have to. Examine possible encounters and plan accordingly.

An important note is to NEVER get caught in the lie. That kind of exposure will immediately discredit you with your audience or worse. If you can’t put out a sound pretext, don’t offer one.

So what’s your thought on pretexting and the Grey man? Is it a useful concept for you?

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
Re: THE PRETEXT: A GREY MAN CONCEPT
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 09:21:57 AM »
Good points swanson.  I know that I tend to talk a little too much sometimes.  But, I do like to hear other people's stories and that can be very important at times.

So, my addition to these points would be to talk less and listen more.  To me, this is an important part of situational awareness in the/my civi world (as well as others) and can be accomplished easily with very little footprint.  It just takes practice to be a good listener.   :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 09:46:41 AM by firetoad »