Author Topic: What books, etc. would you want to keep for your children/grandchildren?  (Read 11401 times)

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
In addition to thinking about food prep, etc., I've been thinking about what I would want to have on hand for the kids/grandkids in the future.

What children's books would you want your future kids, grandkids to have if large-scale publishing went bust?
I would love to have Goodnight Moon  Guess How Much I Love You and Where is Home, Little Pip? to read to them at night.

I'd want to have a couple of high-quality dolls, a gigantic store of crayons and scratch paper.

I'm sure there's more, but this is what I was thinking about this morning.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: What books, etc. would you want to keep for your children/grandchildren?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 07:33:58 AM »
oh, what a good question!
Well, I would start with the "classics" - my classics.  (as a side note - try finding age appropriate books to give to your children when they start to read!  agh!  my son is 7, but reads on a 13-yo level..... do I get him books too easy, and thus not challenging, or do I allow him to read things above his emotional and mental maturity level?)
I think most books printed before 1950 and marketed for children are great.  They have involved story lines, moral characters, and large vocabularies (oh, and proper English!)
     these would include stuff by Henty, Alcott, Algiers, Conan-Doyle, etc.
I would get any of the books by Zylphia Keatley Snyder, Elizabeth George Speare, and CS Lewis.  I also like a lot of Eric Carle's stuff for the pre-readers.

I would make sure that any books I wanted to last for a long time were in hardback with a good binding.  Kids can be a terror on books!
I am going to have to think more on this.

Offline oregoncactus

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 09:32:51 AM »
I love this idea!  My daughter really enjoyed the Nancy Drew books I kept from childhood.  The Little House series was enjoyed as well.

christi

sarahluker

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 01:17:58 PM »
If you get paperback books you can get clear contact paper and apply it to the cover and it will make it hold up.  Used to volunteer in the local library and they had a brand made especially for this application.  For elementary age kids the Bill Wallace books are classics.  Boys love Hank the Cowdog, and boys and girls like the Box car kids.  Another GREAT author is Richard Peck.  His a year down yonder, A Long Way From Chicago and Teachers Funeral are hilarious and so well written that adults and children love them.  I could go on and on.  Books are my passion.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 06:09:58 PM »
Well, this is my list of books every child should read or have read to them in no particular order:

Johnny Texas by Carol Hoff
The King's Stilts by Dr. Seuss
The Ox Cart Man by Donald Hall
The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge by Hildegarde Swift
Old Yeller by Fred Gipson
The Little Red Hen
and, of course, The Grasshopper and the Ant

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 10:10:19 AM »
You mean I have to choose? I can't just keep my entire library? Oh, the horror!  :o

amanadoo

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 09:43:27 AM »
Oh I love this thread! I'm not sure about books for little ones, but I know that if we ever had to skee-daddle quickly, after the kids and survival supplies, the first thing I'm grabbing is my copy of Gone With The Wind. I cannot overstate how important that book has been to me over the years, and very much hope to pass it down to my children! I think that for young kids, tons of paper//pen//crayons etc is key, because you can make up your own songs and stories together, in addition to the hundred other things you can do with them (draw and learn about maps, for example).

amanadoo

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 10:17:59 AM »
I just thought of another one! The Little House on The Prairie set! I read them over and over and over, and their value in a situation where the modern systems failed is self-evident!

lebla158

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 12:39:54 PM »
Where the Wild Things Are, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and The Hungry Caterpillar are the best kids books ever!!!

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 04:40:23 PM »
I just thought of another one! The Little House on The Prairie set! I read them over and over and over, and their value in a situation where the modern systems failed is self-evident!

Ah you beat me to it!  Daughter grew up on Little House - learned a ton of survival skills from it!  She still remembers some of them.  Also Anne of Green Gables and for the younger ones Winnie the Pooh (the original one) as who could not love Pooh bear.  Blessings, TBM

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 10:13:07 PM »
One of my fav books growing up was Hatchet and a couple others by same author with same survival theme, The river and Brian's Winter.

sarahluker

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 06:35:50 AM »
Jean Craighead George, yes, she is a wonderful author.  I loved reading these books to the kids.

Offline War_Eagle

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 03:35:28 PM »
My kids really love Ted Bell's "Nick of Time". They also like Katharine DeBrecht and Jim Hummel's "Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed!" We also have the sequeals, "Help! Mom! The Ninth Circuit Nabbed the Nativity!" and "Help Mom! Hollywood's in My Hamper" by the same authors. Although the titles sound funny, these are real books and are really good.

Because we don't have TV in out house, we've assembled quite a library.

We try to stick to the classics as much as we can, or at least books that share similar values, so there are a lot of Robert Louis Stevenson, HG Wells, Rudyard Kipling, Walter Brooks (creator of the "Freddie" series), Mark Twain, James Fennimore Cooper, Jules Verne, etc.

We also have what we call the "Library of Freedom", which contains books about American heroes and values, in which the virtues of the heroes and American virtues are celebrated, not mocked or explained away.

Finally, we have what we jokingly call the "Library of Destruction", which includes books such as "The Dangerous Book for Boys" and similar books that encourage boys and girls to play, to explore, to get dirty, and to use their imaginations.

And, yes, in case you were wondering, we ARE indoctrinating our children.

Offline War_Eagle

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 03:56:53 PM »
By the way, some of you said the "Little House" series. That's a favorite in our house.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 02:57:02 AM »
I am another voice for the Little House series. I loved them all. I also loved Whose Mouse Are You? and read it more times than I care to mention. Also, keep elementary books in more than one language, for example I read the Robert Kraus book as De quien eres, ratoncito? growing up I didn't even realize it was originally in English until I was an adult. Harold and the Purple Crayon also springs to mind although I was never so fond of it. I also read the Greek Myths growing up from an encyclopedia and if I could find that again I would. This children's encyclopedia had this fantastic 'Page Adventure' maze with many different trees in their natural habitats, only way I can tell what a sassafras tree looks like to this day.

Offline CGFxColoneill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 04:22:29 PM »
I second Morning Sunshine's Henty comment... those were some of my favorites
I also loved the Narnia series as well as LOTR
the Hardy boys originals also come to mind, have not read to many of the new ones though so I cant say much about them

it really depends on what you want though, are we talking entertainment, educational, etc

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 08:46:14 AM »
Also the box car children series. It isn't exactly like hatchet but it is learning to fend for yourself and putting family first so I liked it as a kid.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 06:00:45 PM »
Also the box car children series. It isn't exactly like hatchet but it is learning to fend for yourself and putting family first so I liked it as a kid.
I was deeply impressed by this series as a child. I was so impressed that they could make it on there own. It made me feel fortunate and it made me believe that you can overcome terrible circumstances if you know what you want the most and work at it.

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 10:33:03 PM »
Books, I'd keep any books I enjoy reading, like many of the Dr. Suess ones.   With little ones they want the same ones read over and over.   Best to have a collection of books so they can choose.   My 3 year old grandson was visiting and each time he visits he has to pull out some very old books, older than me possibly, part of Dr. Suess series, one about going to the moon and one about living under the sea.   I have no idea why he likes those so much, the pictures I think, but that is one of the first things he does when he visits is to find those same 2 books and someone to read to him.   Books I almost gave away as they weren't my favorites.   Another favorite of his is a little snap together train set that fits in a small carrying case.   

Christmas 2000 we had an enormous ice storm.  Cooked the ham on the grill/smoker outside.   We were lucky and had our power back on within 3 days, close to interstate and underground power lines, many were without power and phone for weeks.  My husband was called into work right after we opened presents.   He called me soon after and said to fill the tub and everything up with water, as the power company informed the city that those with power soon would have none either and they had no idea when they could get power back on.   

My kids were 4, 7, 10, 13, 16,  and 2 college kids home for the holidays.   No power of any kind.   My husband spent that whole week at work, keeping the cities generators running.  No  video games, no tv's, stereo.

Yet when they talk about it, it was one of their favorite Christmas's.  We played board games huddled under blankets, ate sandwiches, heated soup on the camp stove.   Peaceful in fact, adventure for the kids.   No interruptions once the branches quit snapping off the trees.    It was also amazing how much more time we had in a day, without our modern time saving conveniences.

Along with books I would add board games, card games, and construction sets.   Things they can enjoy together.   Games I'd find these in metal or wooden boxes, last longer.   When we go camping we take some card games with us and they take up less room.  A lifesaver when storms crop up while tent camping with kids.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
Christmas 2000 we had an enormous ice storm...
.....Yet when they talk about it, it was one of their favorite Christmas's.  We played board games huddled under blankets, ate sandwiches, heated soup on the camp stove.   Peaceful in fact, adventure for the kids.   No interruptions once the branches quit snapping off the trees.    It was also amazing how much more time we had in a day, without our modern time saving conveniences.

Along with books I would add board games, card games, and construction sets.   Things they can enjoy together.   Games I'd find these in metal or wooden boxes, last longer.   When we go camping we take some card games with us and they take up less room.  A lifesaver when storms crop up while tent camping with kids.

I loved your post - that's what families need more of - connecting with each other when there are no distractions. Blessings, TBM

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 05:21:19 PM »
The anarchist cookbook.
Improvised munitions black book Vol 1, 2, and 3
Total Resistance
Special Forces Guerrilla Warfare
FM 3-24 Counter insurgency
An infantry mans guide to combat in built up areas
Foxfire Vol 1 - 12

oh and Dr. Seuss

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 11:19:10 PM »
I was deeply impressed by this series as a child. I was so impressed that they could make it on there own. It made me feel fortunate and it made me believe that you can overcome terrible circumstances if you know what you want the most and work at it.

The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, Papa's Wife, the whole set of Raddegy Ann and Andy books written in the thirties.

Daphne4Mitchell

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 06:57:34 PM »
C.S. Lewis books, the Narnia series especially.

Lord of the Rings by Tolkien.

Any of the classic fairy tales, Bros. Grimm, the Perrault stories, Hans Christian Anderson; etc.

Goodnight Moon, of course. Couldn't have gotten my daughter to sleep (back in the day) without it. Now she's a young adult with insomnia, but, oh, well. I tried.

:-)
daphne

Offline CGFxColoneill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 09:32:46 PM »
Any of the classic fairy tales, Bros. Grimm,
such uplifting stories, be warned they are nothing like the Disney versions :P

hillbilly

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 06:59:37 PM »
Little House on the Prarie, survival and homesteading books, food preserving books, and most important of all..... a Bible.  Without learning the Christian values and morals where would we be?

skiffgirl

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 12:46:50 PM »
The Little House Books: I am trying to find a set of hard back because i read mine so many times that they fell apart.

Hatchet By Gary Paulson: very good survival book for kids

Nancy Drew, Boxcar Children and I am sure I will think of more.

Offline dseelman

• Prepper
    • New York State Preparedness Network
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 11:13:54 AM »
I have an entire library of pdf's.  However, I don't have the space to keep printed copies of them all.  Also, books are heavy and hard to transport.  One option is to get a laptop and solar charger.  It doesn't even have to be a good laptop, as long as it can run a pdf viewer.  You can store literally tons worth of books and media on a 5 pound machine.  Here are a few good sources for pdf's: http://books.google.com http://scribd.com  Both are good for public domain literature.  I have found that scribd is great for survival books and military manuals as well.

skiffgirl

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 08:48:45 PM »
I have an entire library of pdf's.  However, I don't have the space to keep printed copies of them all.  Also, books are heavy and hard to transport.  One option is to get a laptop and solar charger.  It doesn't even have to be a good laptop, as long as it can run a pdf viewer.  You can store literally tons worth of books and media on a 5 pound machine.  Here are a few good sources for pdf's: http://books.google.com http://scribd.com  Both are good for public domain literature.  I have found that scribd is great for survival books and military manuals as well.

While I can see the sense in this, the thought of snuggling up with my kids and a lap top does not have the same comforting feeling. If we had to bug out and they get left behind then so be it. But if we bug in and the shit has hit the fan then the comfort of that little bit of normal would be worth it's weight in gold.

Offline dseelman

• Prepper
    • New York State Preparedness Network
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 11:40:31 PM »
I forgot about archive.org

Offline sarakg

• Prepper
As kids we had this great set of books-they were actually kids' readers from the early 1900s-that my grandfather gave us.  Grammar, vocab, etc. all in one!  Moving on through ages, I think A Patriot's History of the United States by Schwiekart (or something akin to that) and Allen is great.  I would also keep any Ayn Rand I had lying around-an excellent story writer with a strong philosophical background.  I also think that many other philosophical texts would be worth having around, whether you agree with them or not.  The key isn't telling your kids what to think, but teaching them how to think.

As far as really young kids go, I love everything Dr. Seuss!

Oh, and also I'd have to have Madeline L'Engle's books.  Those were the best!