Author Topic: Pregnancy Question - Ideas for fighting nausea  (Read 9833 times)

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
Pregnancy Question - Ideas for fighting nausea
« on: October 31, 2009, 10:07:41 AM »
Okay dear Lady Survivors - I AM GOING TO BE A GRANDMA!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  First time and we've waited a long time.   My daughter is experiencing SEVERE nausea (we will find out on the 12th of November if there is more than one baby!!!)  Any ideas to help her with the overwhelming nausea she's experiencing?  It's been a long time since I was pregnant and I don't have any answers.  I did find an anti-nausea essential oil idea of using both peppermint and spearmint oils mixed and cut 50/50 with vegetable oil that you rub behind each ear (nastoids).  I will making this today and mailing to her but I need your ideas of what worked for you. Thanks - TBM

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Pregnancy Question - Ideas for fighting nausea
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 10:37:58 AM »
not much help, I am afraid.  nothing worked for me.
not the ginger candies, not the Sea-bracelets, not the morning sickness teas.  not the, well, anything.  My MIL used to take Apple cider vinegar with honey, but just the thought of that brought on my morning (ALL-DAY!) sickness, so I never tried it.

oh, and congrats on the grandma thing - that is very exciting (or so my mother says :) - I am still years away from that!  :D

sarahluker

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 11:07:46 AM »
Congratulations!!   So what will you be called?  Hate to tell you that not much really works if the nausea is severe.  Had a friend who was really, really bad and threw up constantly for three months.  She couldn't get into a car or even talk very long without throwing up.  Didn't hurt the baby though.  My mom always ate crackers and hot tea when she was nauseated. 

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 01:20:02 PM »
I have to concur. I had severe "morning" (it was really 24 hour) sickness. Nothing helped. Make sure to tell her to try to keep hydrated and to request the doctor give her IV fluids if she gets dehydrated. My cousin and I both did this. It did not get rid of the nausea, but at least helped keep me hydrated which can also have it's own set of icky feelings. I hope she's feeling better soon, and congrats for all of you!

Offline bubtech

• Senior Survivalist
    • BUBWeb.com Websites starting at $10 per YEAR... WHAT!... YEAH!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 06:21:40 PM »
Wife said Ginger worked for her... but hers wasn't terribly severe.
B

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 11:41:28 AM »
Thanks everyone for the helpful and kind words.  I did make up the peppermint/spearmint oil concoction and am mailing it today.  She will let me know how it works and I will pass it on in case anyone ever needs it.  November 12th will be the day she finds out a few more answers (such as - is there more than one baby).  I'll let you know as I'm telling the whole world in my excitement.  I was told I could never have children as I would never be able to conceive.  Then when I did get pregnant (what a shock!) I was told I would not be able to carry her.  Okay boy were those doctors wrong.  So I am really grateful at the chance to also be a grandmom! TBM

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 12:30:19 PM »
Congratulations!!!!!!! I love being a Grammy. I have no experience with morning sickness; however, I have done chemo and I found that the syrup from cans of peaches worked great for my nausea. Of course, that is a different kind of cause, but it might be worth trying. I sipped spoons of the syrup and ate saltines when I was feeling crappy. Could be the mixture of sweet and salt was like an IV solution.

Hope she gets past this real quick and can enjoy being pregnant.

swoods

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 03:06:53 PM »
Congratulations!!!!!!! I love being a Grammy. I have no experience with morning sickness; however, I have done chemo and I found that the syrup from cans of peaches worked great for my nausea. Of course, that is a different kind of cause, but it might be worth trying. I sipped spoons of the syrup and ate saltines when I was feeling crappy. Could be the mixture of sweet and salt was like an IV solution.

Hope she gets past this real quick and can enjoy being pregnant.

swoods

When my Dad had lymphoma and underwent chemo the only thing he would or could eat was my frozen peaches.  He loved them.  Interesting!  I will pass the info along to her and thanks for the congrats.TBM

amanadoo

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 08:48:05 AM »
Congrats on becoming a grandma! I was sick all the time with both my pregnancies too, and the only advice I have is not to sweat doing WHATEVER WORKS. The only thing I could keep down with my first pregnancy was Ramen noodles and carrots. I mean, literally that's it. I felt so crappy about not eating nutritiously. But that was just the way it was. Also, I would tell her to eat half as much as she thinks she wants...She can rest on it for a while, then go back and eat more if she wants to and feels up to it. And, as always, drink tons of water! I wish her luck! It'll be totally worth it, and she'll forget all about feeling sick.....until she gets pregnant again  :D

Offline homesteader

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 11:32:59 PM »
Congrats!  My SIL has found extra vitamin B helpful. 

Offline Cacinok

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 10:56:28 AM »
twobluesmama, any update on how the concoction worked?  my wife gets horrendously nauseated during the first 4-6 months of her pregnancies (3 so far), so much so that i doubt we'll have another b/c of it, even though we both want more kids (we'll most likely adopt).  

my wife tried everything and i mean everything and nothing worked.  the only thing that helped a little was a $70/pill anti-nausea drug they give to chemo patients (i forget the name now).  it only gave her a little relief.  she usually loses 10-15 lbs, which she doesn't have to lose, during the non-eating first few months and then gains it all back and then some once she can eat.  all our kids have been healthy as can be.

congrats on becoming a grandma.

good looking heelers in your avatar.  we have a blue and a red, they're great dogs.

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 11:04:31 AM »
My sister (currently expecting #3) is having luck for mild nausea with ginger ale, sort of an old standby.

Her 2nd child actually provided her some pretty bad nausea, and she upped her self treatment (consulting both homeopathic and allopathic doctors first) with St Johns Wort and Valerian Root which are used for calming oneself, not necessarily anti-nausea, but for her it seemed a good portion mental as well, so the stress as opposed to the physical symptoms was what required treatment. Sis also dabbled a bit with aromatherapy (of course, when it goes badly, it goes REALLY badly for someone already nauseous) finding good luck with Lilac and Lily scents, but really bad luck with Roses and Sandalwood - go figure...

To echo others posting in this thread, the other thing is to NOT concern oneself with anyones ideas of "normal" just what works for you, hey, you like pickles and chocolate - knock yourself out!

One more echo - congratulations!!!

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 03:10:37 PM »
twobluesmama, any update on how the concoction worked?  my wife gets horrendously nauseated during the first 4-6 months of her pregnancies (3 so far), so much so that i doubt we'll have another b/c of it, even though we both want more kids (we'll most likely adopt). 
my wife tried everything and i mean everything and nothing worked.  the only thing that helped a little was a $70/pill anti-nausea drug they give to chemo patients (i forget the name now).  it only gave her a little relief.  she usually loses 10-15 lbs, which she doesn't have to lose, during the non-eating first few months and then gains it all back and then some once she can eat.  all our kids have been healthy as can be.congrats on becoming a grandma.
good looking heelers in your avatar.  we have a blue and a red, they're great dogs.

Cacinok-Thanks for the grandma congrats - I didn't think I'd be this excited.  But like I told her today - having been ill a long time (got sick with Lupus when I was pregnant with her) I didn't think I would live to become a grandma - never really thought I'd make it through the pregnancy with her.  So GOD is good and I am blessed.  As far as the essential oil peppermint/spearmint concoction - she opened the package and threw up.  Her husband has always disliked the smell of mint and now she figures he passed it to the baby as she has no tolerance to mint flavors.  Oh well.  She goes to the doctor's tomorrow and we will learn more (ie - if there is just one baby or more! we have twins on my side) Hopefully the doctor will have some anti-nausea advice tomorrow.  There is one thing to worry about as she just called me and is coming down with the flu (she's an elementary school teacher) so I told her to be sure they tested her for swine since she's pregnant. 
Oh and the dogs in the avatar - the older one is the dad to the pup - he's blue.  The little guy's mom was a red so we figure he's purple (1/2red 1/2 blue). Not too many people realize what awesome dogs they are - nice that you have some too!   

My sister (currently expecting #3) is having luck for mild nausea with ginger ale, sort of an old standby.
Her 2nd child actually provided her some pretty bad nausea, and she upped her self treatment (consulting both homeopathic and allopathic doctors first) with St Johns Wort and Valerian Root which are used for calming oneself, not necessarily anti-nausea, but for her it seemed a good portion mental as well, so the stress as opposed to the physical symptoms was what required treatment. Sis also dabbled a bit with aromatherapy (of course, when it goes badly, it goes REALLY badly for someone already nauseous) finding good luck with Lilac and Lily scents, but really bad luck with Roses and Sandalwood - go figure...
To echo others posting in this thread, the other thing is to NOT concern oneself with anyones ideas of "normal" just what works for you, hey, you like pickles and chocolate - knock yourself out!
One more echo - congratulations!!!

Madcapone1 - Thank you also for the congrats.  My friend suggested today for her to try ginger - which she said she was doing (it helps but the smell makes her gag). I pass your advice along.  Blessings, TBM

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 09:43:03 PM »
With my first son, I was nauseous the whole pregnancy.  The only thing that helped me eat was to dip whatever in mustard.  Something about the acidity of the mustard caused food to stay down. Really weird, huh? Also lemons with salt settled my stomach. Of course, salt is a no no now, but it helped.  No nausea with my other two sons at all.  Hope she has a good doctor visit tomorrow.

Offline Cacinok

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 05:09:32 AM »
too bad your mixture didn't work.  we tried everything, even odd ball, off the wall stuff, but in the end time was all that worked.

let us know if she finds something that works.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 02:34:04 AM »
By the way, while I have nothing to offer save for acupuncture as advice, there is that new study that links morning sickness to smarter babies. Maybe that is cold comfort when one is in the middle of it but it struck me as good news to share.

Offline Cacinok

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 09:13:31 AM »
By the way, while I have nothing to offer save for acupuncture as advice, there is that new study that links morning sickness to smarter babies. Maybe that is cold comfort when one is in the middle of it but it struck me as good news to share.

my wife tried acupuncture, which amazed me b/c she hates needles w/ a passion, but it only worked for a half day.

interesting study.  i'm obviously biased, but i will say all three of my kids are extremely smart. ;D

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 11:49:54 AM »
my wife tried acupuncture, which amazed me b/c she hates needles w/ a passion, but it only worked for a half day.
Unfortunately, acupuncture is one of those things that has to be repeated often for results I have found. Perhaps acupressure, I know that is what those little motion sickness stickers are supposed to do but I have never tried them.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 08:07:07 AM »

interesting study.  i'm obviously biased, but i will say all three of my kids are extremely smart. ;D

Thanks ebonearth for the information. And thanks Cacinok I DON'T KNOW WHY I DIDN'T THINK OF ACUPUNCTURE! I am a big fan of all it can do - I had West Nile (oh not so fun) and it was the ONLY thing that helped.  I'll pass this along.  Thanks TSP friends for all the suggestions. TBM

Offline TekkieFae

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 12:18:49 PM »
I have three comments for you:

Doctor prescribed synthetically made vitamins have been the cause of much morning sickness for many of my friends and myself. I would suggest getting a naturally or herbal pre-natal supplement and see if that helps.

Saltines Saltines Saltines. Never go anywhere without them! Nausea in pregnant women is often from low blood sugar.

Now if it’s a TEOTWAWKI situation, there is a certain illegal herb that shall remain nameless that has cured morning sickness for a millennia. This nameless herb was considered sacred and used to be burned in Christian Cathedrals. It was also called ‘The Pregnancy Herb’ for very good reason. It removes the nausea almost instantly, and gives you an appetite to eat which is hard when you are nauseated. I have spoken with doctors and midwives about this as well. Opinions will vary, but you would have to smoke over your body weight to OD or cause any harm.

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 02:18:04 PM »
(self removed)

Offline Rorschach

• Survivor
  • ...sombody knows why. Somebody knows!
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »
Vitamin B6 25 mg every 8 hours (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2047064).  Also try taking the Prenatal at night if it is causing problems, rather than in the morning.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 08:49:39 PM »

Doctor prescribed synthetically made vitamins have been the cause of much morning sickness for many of my friends and myself. I would suggest getting a naturally or herbal pre-natal supplement and see if that helps.

My daughter was actually on herbal pre-natal vitamins at the time and those made her sick too but now it's pretty much a moot point as she is due June 15th - although I don't think she'll make it that far.  I'm predicting the third week of May but that's just a mom's intuition. Thanks for everyone sharing their ideas.  I'll keep all this in mind if there's a second time around (hopefully there will be!) Blessings, TBM

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 08:59:28 PM »
Congrates TBM!!! My wife was very ill for the first trimester.  They prescribed her something but I don't remember what it was and she doesn't either.  But she said that the pills helped.  She said it also help to have me rub her feet and back and to take extra good care of her.  (Personally I don't think this helped with the sickness, but I didn't mind!!!)

The good news is that most of the time it goes away after the first trimester and she really enjoyed being pregnant after that.

Great news again!