Author Topic: What books, etc. would you want to keep for your children/grandchildren?  (Read 11411 times)

Offline Dontforgetyourlipgloss

• Prepper
The Magic Far Away Tree

7 Little Australian

Time for Bed - Me, fox

Offline Awtha

• Prepper
  • MSB since Mar 2010
You mean I have to choose? I can't just keep my entire library? Oh, the horror!  :o

What a fun post to read. . . . . but like the above from Summer . . . . I have tried to weed thru my books many times & altho I was able to get rid of|trade some, many more still find their way to my insides!!!
Books for kids? I still enjoy reading "Winnie the Pooh" - a true survivalist!  :D
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

As to reading *.pdf books - it's very hard. . . . something about a dusty ol book in your lap, no?

MightyRunt

When I was little, Daddy read to me Kipling's Just So Stories and Aesop's Fables.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
I have all sorts of books tucked away for the grandkids. The Raggedy Ann and Andy stories, Paddington Bear stories, Winnie the Pooh of course, I think all of Kiplings works, all of those for the younger kids of course. Some Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys and Trixie Belden and gobs more. I have a library room for myself and all the shelves are full and books are beginning to stack up in piles and I have stored an entire set of encyclopedias and lots of books I haven't read so that should I not be able to get more at some point there will still be new books to be read. Thank goodness this is our BOL cause there is no way my library could go with us.

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
One book on my mental must-have list is The Velvet Room by Zilpha Keatley Snyder. It's perfect for making a child's imagination soar.

Another one that I don't think has been mentioned yet is My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George. Great story about a young boy learning to live off the land. Also Julie of the Wolves by the same author. I haven't read the sequels so I cannot comment on them.

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell is another one I would want to have on hand. Excellent story of survival, a woman living alone on an island several years before being rescued, and based on a true story, too.

There are others that aren't coming to mind right now, and of course many of the ones already mentioned, such as the Bible, Box Car Children, Chronicles of Narnia, Little House series, etc.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
Also, worth consideration, Mary Pope Osborne's The Magic Treehouse series. My youngest son loves them. Every Saturday, when he gets his allowance, we have to rush to the book store so he can add one more to his collection.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
We have the whole magic tree house series and it was the boys favorite.   That is a GREAT series for kids of many ages.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
We have the whole magic tree house series and it was the boys favorite.   That is a GREAT series for kids of many ages.

I was looking at those the last time we went to town and wondering if I should add them to the collection. With 2 recommendations I think I will.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
You wont be disappointed.  They have such a great pace and kids who love different genre's seem to like them because they cover so many situations.  And the younger kids love to be read them as well.  They really are just great books.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
Am visiting our daughter who is expecting our first granddaughter in June and was thinking about books for her library and remember how well we all enjoyed Charlotte's Web.  Great book and good moral about friendship - so this is another one I'll be buying and saving for her.  Blessings TBM

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
My first great grandson was born Tuesday so I've been thinking more about books for boys lately. Being a grandmother is fun, being a great grandmother ought to be a blast.