Author Topic: Calculating how many servings of food I have stored  (Read 5427 times)

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
Calculating how many servings of food I have stored
« on: October 23, 2008, 05:52:16 PM »
Does anyone have a link to a simple list that I can use to calculate just how many days worth of food I have stored?

For example...How many servings are there in a pound of dry pasta?

Thanks.

Offline Braden

• Prepper
  • Moved out to the country for the lifestyle we want
    • CopperSkink - Your Personalized Preparedness Manual
Re: Calculating how many servings of food I have stored
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 05:59:32 PM »
Actually - I would love this info aswell, so far I'm using 1 big tin as 1 meal for 2 people and a small as 1 for 1 person. It gets really difficult when you have pasta/rice etc and then the stuff to mix with it - haw do you calculate that ??
Good question Tactical Badger

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 06:07:35 PM »
The serving information is usually on the package.  When I die I hope to come back as the person who gets to put serving sizes on packages and name the colors on nail polish.  On my 16 oz package of pasta, it says that a single serving is 2 ounces, therefore, there are 8 servings in a pound.  Looking at the package though, if I divided it up into 8 equal parts---my husband would starve to death on 2 ounces of pasta. So would my 13 year old son.  I think you have to look at that and determine how many servings are in it for you.

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 07:31:44 PM »
In my opinion, to obtain the best accuracy, one needs to count calories in each food package.  We all need X amount of calories per day that varies based on one's activity level.  X typically varies depending on one's size as well.  So, as Darkeyes noted, single serving sizes may not be enough for a particular individual.  I know my serving sizes tend to be larger than the recommended being as I am 6'5" and 225 lbs.

Having said this, enough daily calories don't always round out your dietary needs as far as minerals and vitamins are concerned.  So, that is something that you need to keep in mind.  But, you can easily and cheaply supplement some of these vitamins and minerals with a daily vitamin.  You should be able to pick up 6 months worth of daily vitamins for under $10 if you pick up the Equate brand from a Wally World.

Offline lonestar

• Survivor

Ewok

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 05:52:44 AM »
   I don't bother to figure out exactly how many servings I have, I am just trying to acquire more than enough food for the next 6-12 months. I figure about a can of beans and some rice will feed two people for a meal.

millerized1

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 06:01:20 AM »
Spreadsheet below to help you inventory.  Once you know how much you have, you can figure serving size pretty easily. Posted this in another thread, but just as relevant here.

Shamlessly taken from RangerMan over at the SHTFBlog : http://www.shtfblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/blankinv.xls Not sure if it'll open in anything other than Excel, but you can try it.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »
Thanks for all of the input.  But...what I am looking for is very basic information like "there are 9.3 servings in a pound of dry rice".  Canned stuff I can eyeball and come up with an estimate.  The bulk stuff though, I'm not really sure how to figure that out.  God knows I've Googled the crap out of this, without much success.

I did find this...http://pages.prodigy.net/jmiller.cb/s810.html  I was really hoping someone would have a list of staples that listed servings per pound.

So far, I've managed to figure out..

Rice = 9.3 servings per pound (dry)
Beans = 6.3 servings per pound (dry)
Spaghetti = 5.8 servings per pound (dry)

awayfrmitall

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 06:22:48 AM »
I use the free spreadsheet I found online... You put in the number of your family and your inventory and then it calculates the number of servings you have on hand of many items. You can also manipulate the excel sheet. For example if one can of soup only feeds two in your family you can change the calculation value to 2 or whatever fits your family.

I found it here http://simplylivingsmart.com/images/Resources/Food-Storage-Master-Plan.xls

It's pretty simple to use and it's free, not stored online but on your own computer, and I print out then as we use an item we make a checkmark to the side then I update the sheet on the computer when I do my next shopping trip.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 01:45:23 PM »
It says I have to download another program.  Puter can't hanlde that.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 02:21:32 PM »
Do you have Excel on your machine?  Because, it's an Excel Spreadsheet that opens up in IE.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 03:54:23 PM »
If you do not have Excel, you can download OpenOffice which is an open source set of tools like Microsoft Office.
Some info on it:
OpenOffice.org 3 is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.

You can download it at:
http://www.openoffice.org/

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 10:23:06 PM »
That's the thing. my puter is old and I need to get a new one.  I will be getting a laptop for Christmas/one year quitting Copenhagen prize.  Any suggestions for one with a 800-1000$ budget?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 12:04:13 AM »
what size laptop are you looking for? what are you going to be using it for? lenovo and dell are good. PM me some requirements and I'll suggest something.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 01:08:05 AM »
PM sent.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 08:21:11 AM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )