Author Topic: Workout Buddies  (Read 8160 times)

Offline CdnGuy

• Survivor
Workout Buddies
« on: September 15, 2009, 08:18:54 PM »
Okay, I don't care for the title of this thread - it sounds too touchy feely. But I was just thinking that it would be cool if we had workout friends on here to keep each other motivated. Hopefully match up two people with similar goals and starting points. Then they can contract with their buddy that they are going to work out on such and such a plan. Then daily we can check up with each other, give props and advice when needed, etc, etc.

Why? Because nothing works like accountability and some friendly competition.

Also, I don't care how cool your BOB is or how close your BOL is, without being in shape to walk at least 10 miles a day, if the SHTF, you're going to have a super tough time.
How do I know? 4 years ago I was doing 13Km marches with a 70 pound rucksack in full fighting order. Today, I doubt I could carry that up a flight of stairs. Damn!

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
Re: Workout Buddies
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:39:25 PM »
Damn Guy, you've only been here a couple weeks and you've really jumped right in. I get my gentle reminder every other fall when we journey out west for some elk hunting. Lugging a pack and gun up and down mountain really is a wake up call to ones level of fitness. I know fitness is a very important part of prepping none of us really put front and center. I keep trying to train more, but its always too easy to make up an excuse not too. A training partner is a good idea.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 12:40:33 AM »
Also, I don't care how cool your BOB is or how close your BOL is, without being in shape to walk at least 10 miles a day, if the SHTF, you're going to have a super tough time.

That gets a +1 from me. In the famous phrase a dear friend always uses: Confident. Cocky. Lazy. Dead.
So who thinks they can take a female workout buddy?

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 09:54:47 AM »
I can offer my 2 cents to those that need it. I have been lifting weights for 27 years now. I was a competative body builder for awhile and won a few weight classes. I was a personal trainer also and was the manager of a world gym for awhile. Who needs a gym when your a prepper. You can grab those water jugs, or large canned items and use them as weights. So post up and lets get MOTIVATED!

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 11:08:30 AM »
.... So post up and lets get MOTIVATED!

Motivation is where my problem is.  I haven't hike in years, I can walk a few miles without toooo much trouble. Add a pack, and there starts to be a few issues.  About 10 years ago I had to walk home from work, more then 8 miles with some steep hills because someone didn't want to pick me up.  While I grumbled the whole way, I did it,.. carrying my laptop and a few notebooks.  In penny loafers, This was before I really started "hearing" what a good friend was telling me. 

Key thing though is that, it had been years since doing PT in the service, and I did 8 miles in crappy shoes and rain,..I had forgotten that part... with some stress..

Now, 10 years later I don't know,..  I know I can do 2 miles or so at a time,.. but in the course of a day could still maybe get 10 or so miles down..  nothing fast,.. but doable...

I want to dropped about 40# and extend my range of stamina...  it's just troublesome to get started on...

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 01:26:04 PM »
Alright, I'm in.  How do we want to do this thing?  Just post daily exercise, back pats, and advice ... or something more involved?

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 01:56:26 PM »
Alright, I'm in.  How do we want to do this thing?  Just post daily exercise, back pats, and advice ... or something more involved?

Whatever works for each individual. Some may need daily support, some my need nothing more than encouragement every so often.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 02:37:52 PM »
+1 CdnGuy.  Another solid post, my bruthah.

May I kick it off?  Today I did 15 minutes of elliptical on resistance 8 at a normal pace (120 strides per minute) and then did 30 minutes of elliptical at a fast pace (150 strides per minute) at resistance 5.  Wednesday is one of my "light" days.

Is this the kind of post you have in mind?  (I won't post every day I work out, but you get the idea.) 

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 03:41:19 PM »
Did circuits today.  Twenty push-ups, sprint 50 yards, twenty sit-ups, sprint 50 yards, 20 squats.  The sprint 200 meters and repeat the process.  In case you havent guessed that was done on a local football field (no I dont play football) witha  quarter mile track around it.  We did that about 6 sets.

Then we did quarter mile sprints with a 60 second rest between laps for a total of one mile.  After that we ran the stairs of the stadiums spectator stands.

All in all I hurt.  Good PT.

While we are talking about getting in shape this approach can be applied to firearms training like dry fire and reloading drills.

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 04:24:39 PM »
We could even set (and track) challenges with each other on one of the fitness sites like:
www.dailyburn.com
or
www.livestrong.com

Those sites let you track food intake, exercise, weight, size, etc and they are free. At lease the version we would be using is free. Who knows, we could do a TSP challenge and maybe flip a few people from those sites over here.

Offline CdnGuy

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 05:09:42 PM »
I'm always strong out out of the gates but not much of a finisher! At least that's what my sweetie says. Too much information?

I was thinking more along the lines of pairing off with someone with similar goals and starting point. Maybe posting our starting point in terms of bodyfat and resting heart rate and then where we would like to be in what timeframe would help us to find our workout buddies. If your workout buddy lives reasonably close to you, you could make a friend for life here. Phone calls, e-mails, whatever.

I'll start. Please don't let your jaw hit the floor. I'm 5'9" 280 pounds, 35% bodyfat RHR 78. Where I would like to be in one year's time is down to about 15% and have my RHR down to 70. I'd like to grow 4 inches too, but that ain't gonna happen.

Here's the plan I'm willing to follow:
The No-S Diet (search that out, it's awesome.) No seconds, no sweets, no snacks except on S days like Saturday, Sunday, Special Days like birthdays and holidays. It's simple, easy to do, easy to remember and it works. Last time I stuck to it I lost 12 pounds in a few weeks.

10-minute Workouts Video from the guys that made p90x until I feel confident that I can tackle P90X. A buddy of mine who is a workout machine just did it, and it kicked his a$$. Mind you, he's super buff now.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 06:51:36 PM »
I try to start every day with about 10 Sun Salutations ... which is a yoga exercise that does an great job of working the kinks out.

Gym time ... I did about 30 minutes worth of weight lifting.  I'll get into details if anybody is interested, but basically I do a warm up set of 12 reps for a particular muscle group and then a heavy set of 8 for the same muscle group.  I try and vary the angles and the exercises throughout the week so that it keeps things shaken up.

I didn't do any cardio work today because I'm going to be walking all night tonight for work.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 05:59:47 PM »
Yoga for about 20 minutes to balance out the lifting from yesterday.

I'll be walking about 7 hours tonight associated with my work.

Offline nafterize

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Nate's Photo & Video Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 12:58:59 AM »
Workout buddies are awesome. I used to hit the gym on the way home from work with a buddy (was giving him a ride home every evening) and it kept both of us accountable. It's too easy for me to come up with a "really good and important" reason to skip the gym at any given time when by myself.

That said, just did pushups & situps tonight.

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 09:45:53 AM »
Workout buddies are awesome. I used to hit the gym on the way home from work with a buddy (was giving him a ride home every evening) and it kept both of us accountable. It's too easy for me to come up with a "really good and important" reason to skip the gym at any given time when by myself.

That said, just did pushups & situps tonight.
There you go!

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 06:40:14 PM »
http://www.survivalblog.com/2009/09/how_to_be_a_civilian_operatort.html

Good ideas, I am not 100% on all of it but some interesting thoughts none the less.

Offline Jimbo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 07:53:09 PM »
 Jack Spirko ends up being my work out buddy :D  I download the TSP and put it on my MP-3 player before I hit the gym!

Offline nafterize

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Nate's Photo & Video Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 12:53:09 AM »
Jack Spirko ends up being my work out buddy :D  I download the TSP and put it on my MP-3 player before I hit the gym!

Jack is my commute buddy. I usually have George Noory for a workout buddy.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 08:51:12 AM »
Alright, I'm going to try and start posting my workouts here daily ... at least until I find out I'm the only one doing it or get told that I'm annoying.

;D

This morning I hit the gym and lifted:

chins-ups x10
pulldowns 211x10
bench press 245x10
chest fly 180x10
lunges 135x10
squat 210x10
shoulder fly 80x10
shoulder press 140x10
preacher curls 80x10
hammer  curls 90x10
tricep ext 110x10
diamond pushups x20
grip ex x20
finger chins x20
situps x20
crunches x80

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 08:17:26 AM »
cold and rainy today ... I'm skipping the walk in favor of 30 minutes of stretching

Offline PositiveForce

• Prepper
  • Never ponder on negative thoughts
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 11:29:39 PM »
I work out five days a week and I do it on my own, Cdnguy I completely understand what your saying about training with someone and motivating eachother and holding the other accountable to show up.
I started out lifting weights with my brother-in-law and this other guy back in 1989 and in the begining it was extremely helpful having them around for the push.
I've since had training partners come and go, I've gotten married and had three kids also, but I've stayed committed to my training, worked out three times a week in a boxing gym and lifted Monday thru Friday and run 3 to 8 miles daily, I've fought in a toughman contest, ran 5k's and trained exclusively for everything I've done at 5:00am before my family is even awake. I guess my point is, having a training partner in the begining was perfect, you learn a lot, you nudge eachother to not slack and you develop the committment which is HUGE! It really is a great way to start making exrecise part of your life and stay fit, once you get the mindset that this is going to something you are going to do no matter what, you can branch off on your own and do fine.

Newb Survivalist

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 01:45:08 PM »
I finally made use of the gym membership that i have been paying for, for about 2 years now. Spent about an hour lifting at the gym last night, felt like i was going to puke.

i got that p90x thing for christmas and i will be starting that around feb 1st with my brother and friend.
http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do?code=P90XDOTCOM

I am trying to gain muscle and lose no weight as i am a skinny mother (shut yo mouth)

the p90x comes with a diet plan, which will help me out a bunch as i don't think i have prepared a square meal in a year.

I am also "working out" at work, when i have the free time. Nothing big, mostly small ab exercises.

a little bit everyday and you can build a mountain in no time.

-robin
    ^ newb

Offline Nexquietus

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 10:59:51 PM »
I am hoping to get my wife into the workout thing with me.  She's 2 months out from having a C-section and is recovering perfectly, in fact she's cleared for exercise.  So she started doing P90x last Sunday.  She's modifying it as needed, but she likes it so far.  I gave her a week to decide if she likes it and will join her at the start of her second week.  I hurt my hamstring and recovered just in time for baby, so I haven't been at it for a while.  The 5 weeks I did do were great.  I guess I'll keep posting my progress here to keep myself honest since everyone else is doing it (damn peer pressure).

jim

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 09:04:37 AM »

I am hoping to get my wife into the workout thing with me. 

Right on.

Offline Nexquietus

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 08:22:14 PM »
Well, to report back in, my wife's in with both feet.  She's finishing up her second week of P90x and I am finishing up my first week.  I had her do a week by herself so I could help her figure out how to modify some of the exercises to fit her fitness level as well as let her work out alone without feeling too self conscious.  I'd like to keep doing our workouts at the same time, but as I write this, I hear a crying 2 month old and am reminded why we can't.  Well, atleast she's on board.  We'll keep in touch.

jim

Offline TMUSCLE

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 03:20:12 PM »
I'm glad I have found this because I work out everyday.  Even if I'm just hiking or doing something outdoors.  I also used to be a competitive bodybuilder so I enjoy lifting weights even though my goals are much different now.

This morning 5am...30min on the treadmill.  15.0 incline at 4.0mph.  Walking up hill will get the heart pumping and the metabolism moving.  ;D

Tonight is legs so my workout will go something like this:
Squats: 4 sets of 12-15reps
Lunges: 3 sets of 12-15 reps a leg, while holding dumbbells
Leg press: 3 sets of 15-20 reps.
Stiff legged deadlifts: 3 sets 12-15 reps...these are really to just stretch out. 

About 15min treadmill afterwards.

I don't know if any of you have heard of it but I'm concentrating pretty hard on my cardio because I'm doing the Cooper River Bridge Run here in SC.  I'm just doing the walking/jogging thing and then I will train to run it next year. 

Good thread idea...