Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1957187 times)

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #1200 on: October 22, 2009, 02:59:29 AM »
Welcome PA and DDD!  DDD you made me call up the Green Screen of Death at work with that one!

BP

Offline maxhedroom

• Survivor
  • We all seek direction
    • My Homestead Garden
« Reply #1201 on: October 22, 2009, 06:12:51 PM »
Max in Connecticut. Looks like a great forum, love the podcasts

Offline skanav22

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1202 on: October 22, 2009, 06:39:32 PM »
Hey guys just introing--

My name is Paul, I have been in the military ten years enlisted two as an officer.  I am an aviator and have attended SERE.  I have been deployed multiple times, loved it learned a ton about myself and other cultures.  I was stationed in Biloxi during Katrina and my wife and I lost everything we owned.  Fortunately i was a prepper (because even though i was a military member uncle sam couldn't do it all).  That really kicked our prepping into high gear, wife is completely on board, especially since Katrina.  I found the podcasts via a google search and have downloaded and listened to most of them.  I have to say it has been really eye opening.  I'm here to learn and keep learning. 

Paul

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #1203 on: October 22, 2009, 07:29:50 PM »
welcome Paul. Glad to have you and yours on board.

Offline Make Ready

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1204 on: October 23, 2009, 12:10:14 AM »
Hello All,

My name is Shane and I'm a fellow prepper (not to be confused with preppy) currently living in Austin, TX.  I've been recently introduced to the Survival Podcast through a relative.  I've been a member of the "Hoodlums" forum over at survival.com for a few years and I hope to learn as much here as I do there.  I have to say that this site and the accompanying content are impressive and I also look forward to viewing the new product reviews. 

Thanks for having me,

Shane             

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #1205 on: October 23, 2009, 03:21:51 AM »
Welcome MR hope you have fun here...

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #1206 on: October 23, 2009, 11:56:41 AM »
Welcome Make Ready, there are a lot of Texans on here to keep you company down there in the Lone Star State.

Offline rod

• Prepper
  • He's staring me down 10 ft. away.
« Reply #1207 on: October 23, 2009, 12:14:26 PM »
Hi,
My name is Rod and I have been learning about prepping since before Y2K. I'm 53 and I live in a small noisy town in Southeast Connecticut. My major interest is in primitive survival skills. Learning to make useful tools out of nothing and live where others can not gives me great confidence.
This is a great site. The podcasts will be very useful.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #1208 on: October 23, 2009, 06:55:29 PM »
Well, lets see........
Name is Scott, and I've been into "this stuff" longer than I like to admit.
I live in a small town in the western mountains of Maine. I was born and raised here, and I guess I just kinda grew up this way.
Hunting, fishing, trapping, etc, have always been a way of life for me.
I own my own home, a small ranch on about 4.5 acres of land on the Androscoggin river. Also own about 20 acres accross the street. Got gravity feed water, and wood heat. I cut and split my own wood from my own land. Now I'm looking at getting off the grid all together.
I've been married for almost 20 years (to the same woman) and have two kids (a son 19 and daughter 14).
I just turned 43 last summer.
I guess that's enough for now.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #1209 on: October 23, 2009, 08:19:24 PM »
Hillclimber:

I'm a huge fan of your signature line.  Click on mine and you'll see.

Heavy G

Offline NightCat

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1210 on: October 23, 2009, 08:56:45 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Jill and I'm from Oahu Hawaii though spending a fair amount of time in California these days. I've been listening to Jack's podcast for about 2 months and loving every minute of it. I look forward to learning as much as I can and meeting new folks. Sustainability  and self-sufficiency iin agriculture, economy, resource management etc. is a BIG DEAL for our state and I hope I can help more people see the light (i.e. get a clue!) while improving my own preparedness.

Jill

Offline tanman247

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1211 on: October 23, 2009, 10:51:55 PM »
Hello every one. 
This is my first post and believe this is the best place to start.
I am currently living in the country in Southern Minnesota.  I have always lived on a farm and on the land since I can remember.  We never called it “Survival.”  It was just the way things were.
I currently am 26 years of age last month and currently am employed as an Executive Protections Agent/Armed Response Guard.  Some of my favorite things to do are Skeet, White tail hunting, Trout fishing, hiking, and my current fav right now  is Geoche Locating. (Helps break up just Tromping through the woods)
Any ways, I hope I can contribute to this community and also learn more sustainable ways to live.

homeshow

« Reply #1212 on: October 24, 2009, 07:00:20 AM »
y'all are welcome here.  night cat most people don't realize the fact that if you don't bring it to an island it won't be there unless you can make it.

Aiedz

« Reply #1213 on: October 24, 2009, 01:04:47 PM »
afternoon, im Josh, most people call me Aiedz. I am pretty green when it comes to this lifestyle, but it has intrigued me, the first podcast i listened to was going from a grasshopper to an ant. Hopefully, i can soak up a lot of useful information from here and share what i learn with other people.

weresqu

« Reply #1214 on: October 24, 2009, 01:08:34 PM »
My name is Les I'm 45 from Puyallup Washington I have a wife, 3 kids and a dog. And I like the way you think. Thanks for an awakening podcast. I look forward to learning and contributing on this forum.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #1215 on: October 24, 2009, 02:46:49 PM »
Hillclimber:

I'm a huge fan of your signature line.  Click on mine and you'll see.

Heavy G
I've used it as a sig line for years.. I changed it on one board after one of my neighbors was murdered.

I just used another line from the same song.. "I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dude's eyes an shoot him with my ol' 45, 'cause a country boy can survive".

Offline Hiltonizer

• Prepper
« Reply #1216 on: October 25, 2009, 12:29:59 AM »
Hi All,

I was recently directed to Jack's podcast from a regional gun forum, and took a special interest in it because it advocates a common sense approach to preparedness that seems to be rare. Many of the principles advocated by this community have resonated with me far greater than the "stock up on MRE's" crowd.

I am 25 years old, and got married within the last year. I have been casually 'prepping' for the last 2, especially financially as I was a Dave Ramsey listener before I ditched XM.

The recent Ant to Grasshopper episode resonated with me specifically, as most of it contains a lot of principles I was raised with, and inspired me to contribute to the comminity than I otherwise would. That's why I am here.

Thanks Jack, this forum looks like it will be a great place to call home.

-Justin

Atlantic

« Reply #1217 on: October 25, 2009, 06:37:29 AM »
Hi all,
One of your foreign posters, living in England. Ex-military, a bit prepared, and with a healthy distrust of the way things are over here. I have the usual prepper problems, but a few more caused by the location: not much wild space, difficulty holding guns, high prices for everything. Generaly just living with a population that has a less self-sufficient outlook that you guys in the US.

Learning some good stuff here anyway.

A

seabisquit

« Reply #1218 on: October 25, 2009, 10:18:19 AM »
Hi guys- I have been listening to the podcast for a couple months now and am hooked. It fits in with everything I believe in and more. I live in New Braunfels,Tx and am looking for fellow preppers to meet and exchange ideas with. Keep the faith.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #1219 on: October 25, 2009, 08:43:15 PM »
Welcome aboard folks.

Nice to see lots of new faces. ;)

sarahluker

« Reply #1220 on: October 25, 2009, 09:57:23 PM »
Seabisquit,
Welcome to the forum.  Umm...is that Mr. Ed?

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #1221 on: October 25, 2009, 11:24:51 PM »
Seabisquit,
Welcome to the forum.  Umm...is that Mr. Ed?
I don't think Seabisquit played ping pong. :D

Welcome Seabisquit, always good to see more folks from Texas.

And welcome Atlantic. Many of your brothers from across the pond here.

I think y'all will like it here.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #1222 on: October 26, 2009, 01:20:01 AM »
Welcome one and all.  Hope you find what your looking for here!

BP

Offline Brett

• Fledgling Prepper
    • NOMNOMNOM Search For Things Tasty And Delicious
« Reply #1223 on: October 27, 2009, 03:47:47 AM »
Hey all,

My name's Brett. 33y/o male, married, no kids, one dog.  Born and raised in Texas, served 9 years in the Army as both a Field Artillery and Military Intelligence officer, did 2+ tours in Iraq and was medically retired after my last one. 
Upon getting out we decided to move up north to be closer to wife's family and cause it rains there as opposed to Central Texas.  We chose the Pittsburgh area.  My mother who lived in Houston, realized that if she ever wanted to see any future/potential grandbabies that she would have to position herself between Pitt. and Buffalo NY where my wife is from.  Soooo  she decides to buy a 68 acre farm (former hobby horse farm actually) about an hour north of Pitts.  So we packed up our stuff in Texas and used the time period between Texas and PA to take spend 2 months in Europe travelling before we started trying for kids (am writting this from Tuscany).  When we go back to the US next month we'll start looking for a house in the Pitt. Area.  and I'll be heavy into getting the farm set up as a homestead.  I had mom order and take delivery of some baby chicks this month and they should be ready to move into a coop by the time I get back. 

I've got a fair amount of weapons training and more time logged on the "two-way shooting range" then I care to remember.  I'm good in fieldcraft and primitive survival skills with a focus on edible and medicinal herbs.  Lemme caveat that with "in Texas".  I've got a TON of work ahead of me learing the flora and fauna of the northeast.  I've been a into blacksmithing and metal work since I was a kid (dad owned a machine shop)  I'm good in gardening, again in Texas, not in PA but will be taking the master gardener course in Pitt. this winter to get caught up to speed on the region.  I'm mostly focused on homesteading skills and DIY projects.  I've already seen some amazing ones here and look forward to contributing my own as I stumble my way through setting up the 'farm'.  I'll be chronicling those misadventures in our blog that right now is still focused on the Europe trip(that part written mainly by mah wife) but once we return will cover more of the homesteading stuff.  Link is in my profile if you're interested.  Look forward to building and sharing in the knowledge base as position ourselves for the coming storm.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #1224 on: October 27, 2009, 09:05:13 AM »
Welcome Brett!  You've come to the right place.  Thank you for your service and we're glad you made it back.

Sounds like your mother is one hell of a lady to do what she did!  You've definately got your work cut out for you and the wife.  IF your so inclined, we'd like to see picts of your progress.

v/r  Berserker Prime

Offline Ian N

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1225 on: October 27, 2009, 11:34:03 AM »
Hi all,

My Names Ian 33, from across the pond in England. Have been listening to the podcasts for 2 months now but have been think about this stuff for years now and many of the things Jack talk about are things that I have been aware of in my own life. But have the disavantage of limited gun laws and the lack of space over here, which means we have to think a bit more about how to survive. Look forward to talking to you all and learn from all.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #1226 on: October 27, 2009, 12:48:05 PM »
Hi all,

My Names Ian 33, from across the pond in England. Have been listening to the podcasts for 2 months now but have been think about this stuff for years now and many of the things Jack talk about are things that I have been aware of in my own life. But have the disavantage of limited gun laws and the lack of space over here, which means we have to think a bit more about how to survive. Look forward to talking to you all and learn from all.

Welcome Ian.  There are quite a few of you folks from across the pond here.

Check out the The International Connection & meet up with some of them.  Maybe you can make some contacts.

Offline Oni

• Prepper
« Reply #1227 on: October 27, 2009, 01:35:54 PM »
Hello

I am Mark from So Cal.  Have been listening to the podcast for about 6 months.

I have prepped for a long time on a small scale basis, but in the last year have been getting much more serious about it.

I am fairly prepared, but am normally in sponge mode trying to learn as much as I can.  Enjoy learning about do it yourself projects, have started a container garden and building up my supplies, knowledge, tools and techniques.  Nice community here...looking forward to learning more great info!

Offline Mr. Vex

• Prepper
« Reply #1228 on: October 27, 2009, 06:11:29 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm Adam a 32 year old single guy living in San Diego. I became interested (aware) of the preparedness mentality after two events. The first reason was after I had to evacuate my home during the wildfires of 2007. Fortunately my home was spared, but it did make me realize that I need to have a system or SOP of what to do if I were faced with an emergency.

The second reason was after reading Neil Strauss' book, Emergency: This Book Will Save Your Life. Reading this book opened up an entire world of resources for preparedness/survival/self-sufficiency/etc.

Over the better part of this year I've been working on acquiring and learning a number of skills from square-foot-gardening, first-aid, firearm use, water/food storage, etc. I found Jack's podcast last month and have been listening to it non-stop. While I don't always agree with the politics, I really enjoy hearing an intelligent perspective on current events that isn't my own.

Offline Rookinde

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #1229 on: October 27, 2009, 07:25:59 PM »
I have posted on the TSP forums couple of times, but never really introduced myself. I refer to myself as Rook living in the Nana state of Delaware. I am new to the modern survival. I have a DW,DS,DD... to keep me on top of my toes. I have a pup, name Duke... he is a "English Sprainger Spainel". I hae a modest 1/4 acre. To use to the best of my ablility that God gave me.

I have always been gardening since I was a kid w/ my neighbor. I am studying now to do the sq. ft garden in the coming year. I used to hunt has a child, and would love to get back to that, but in this state it is very hard to find any place to hunt at all. I keep looking for rod/gun club, but I haven't had any success at it. I am still learning the art of canning food. I have the DW starting to ask questions and looking to me for answers. I know that I have found the right place to come to get the answers when I need them. I also a supporting member.

I am now starting to take notice of food and what to stock up on in a limited budget. So now you know about the rook and his castle.

Rook