Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 2008375 times)

johnnybgood30

Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 16, 2009, 12:49:35 AM »
well I'm brad i go my johnnybgood30 every were else i have to say this is vary funny to me.i like seeing it and chatting but i live here in Oregon on the coast just me my 9yr girl and our dog.I have allways hunted and fished guns are just a part of are lives like fishing poles and gear.now out here we mostly farm milk cows.but I'm going to start a garden Ive never grown any thing before.but now I'm buying 1.5 acre on the bay so no one can build around me i have a nice pond on it and I'm working to clean it up.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #181 on: January 16, 2009, 04:36:51 AM »
Welcome to the boards jbg30.

Hardtack

« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2009, 02:19:20 AM »
Hey All,

I'm Rich, 36 years old, awesome wife and two beautiful kids. I do consulting work and travel waaaay too much, and have begun to look towards a homestead lifestyle in an effort to wean myself from the trappings of my current job to a more family friendly life. The job's not all bad, as it allows us to stay in the small town I grew up in, which wouldn't be possible if I had to find a job on the local economy. We recently purchased a 1.8 acre lot in town, complete with house, barn and a well that I've got to whip into shape. I've gutted the house to the studs and we intend on going as green as possible in the remodel, with the thought that spending the money up front will pay dividends down the road. I listen to loads of podcasts and was happy to find TSP on itunes. My wife is the real gardener, but Jack's sure making me want to get out there and make that 1.8 acres work for us!

Looking forward to hanging around the board, learning and sharing as much as I  can.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2009, 10:33:58 AM »
Hello and welcome Hardtack!

Offline Jackncoke

• Survivor
  • aka Silverfox
    • Sunset Shores Travel
« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2009, 08:03:24 PM »
Hello all. I go by Jackncoke in all the forums I post. I'm a 27 year old male, married w/ wife's 2 kids. I work for an industrial supplier which gives me access to pretty much anything I need. I've always considered myself a redneck born in the suburbs. Although I live in a sub., I'm at home in the wilderness. I've always had the mentality of a survivalist, but there's so much to learn about it! I'm working on getting my wife on board. It's taking patience on my part, but she's definitely coming around.

My goal has always been being self reliant. I know basic survival skills, worked on cars since I owned one, grew up doing construction with my dad, and my head's on straight. Although I am not content with my "stockpile", I do feel confident in being prepared mentally for anything. My goals for this year are to get in better shape, learn a few new skills, start to stockpile supplies, grow a garden, and work on getting as close to debt free as I can.

I enjoy shooting a lot. I like it because it can teach you a lot about yourself. I own a Mossberg 500 12 gauge, and a .22 lr. I've also shot 9mm, .45, .357, and AR-15. I also play airsoft with my bro in law and a few of his buds. He's former Marine, so I learn a lot from him.

I heard about Jack's podcasts from 4x4wire.com. I'm grateful for this forum, and his podcasts. He does a great job, and I really appreciate his sharing.

Oh yeah, I live in Cincinnati,OH. If you're ever in my neck of the woods, let me know and we can have a few beers or coffee.

52Degrees

« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2009, 08:18:57 PM »
Imagine that...  Another 4x4Wire member 8)

Tedwilto

« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2009, 04:10:54 PM »
Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. Im 17 years old and from ontario, canada and i stumbled across this podcast and needless to say i like what jack's got to say because there is a good chance some sort of shit is going to hit the fan throughout my life. i live out in the country, enjoy hunting fishing all that fun stuff. House i live at has 40 acres of woods around it and a small lake with like 5 other houses on it. quite beatiful really. i most likely wont have a whole lot to contribute but i enjoy reading the stuff on the forums. thats about all ive got to say.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:14:50 PM by Tedwilto »

Offline digger

• Survivor
« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2009, 08:24:08 PM »
I don't remember how I came across TSP, but it was shortly before Christmas. I thought it was a novel idea to podcast prep topics and how-to's. Ya'll notice I said "prep".. but I still get strange looks, too.

I live about 40 miles NE of Houston, on a small homestead. We grow about 4000 SF of garden, have chickens, want to get some more rabbits. We can enough food that we seldom buy veggies. We buy our beef, pork in bulk, process our own cuts, then can & freeze it for storage. We process our own chickens to freeze & can. Tho not Mormons, I figure they have a good idea on food storage. Not to mention, the money it saves by not having to purchase vittles for months at a time. We are prepped in the other areas, also.

I owned a hot-shot trucking company for 12 years, but shut it down last year, the profit generated didn't match the aggravation anymore. So now, I sell and sometimes deliver parts for oil/gas drilling rigs. I was snowed in on the west slope near Fruita, Co for Christmas, (after delivering some parts to a downed rig) listened to several podcasts then. Liked them, and noticed the forum.

I spent 5 years in the Army, 2 US, 3 RA. Two tours in south & southeast Asia. With the pay back then, you learned to be frugal. :)  I'm sure it's the same way now.

Glad to be here, will contribute as I can.

Offline ozzy88m

• Survivor
  • I am what I am
« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2009, 08:55:26 PM »
I am 30 years old and a single parent of an eight year old girl. I have served four years in the Oklahoma National Guard, with time in Iraq. I am new to the survival thing and the first site i looked at was www.survivaltopics.com. After listening to Jacks podcast on itunes I decided to visit the web site and I have not been able to put my ipod down. I started listening around the first week of January and i am on episode 103. I am starting to climb out a financial disaster that I put myself into, so I am not sure where to start at, any advise would be appreciated.   

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »
Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. Im 17 years old and from ontario, canada and i stumbled across this podcast and needless to say i like what jack's got to say because there is a good chance some sort of shit is going to hit the fan throughout my life. i live out in the country, enjoy hunting fishing all that fun stuff. House i live at has 40 acres of woods around it and a small lake with like 5 other houses on it. quite beatiful really. i most likely wont have a whole lot to contribute but i enjoy reading the stuff on the forums. thats about all ive got to say.

I am pretty sure you need to be 18 dude.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #190 on: January 21, 2009, 04:28:42 AM »

I am pretty sure you need to be 18 dude.
You'd be correct.  I believe firetoad has taken the appropriate measures.

Nice to have all you new folks aboard.  Welcome & make yourselves at home.  We look forward to hearing from you.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2009, 06:04:48 AM »
Hello folks.  I'm new here and am trying to get caught up on the episodes.  I've only gone back to about 100 and started listening to the ones that are topics I'm really interested in, at least until I get caught up to current episode.  Unfortunately I can't listen at work since I can't bring an mp3 player into the building.

I'm in the mid-Atlantic.  I'm married with 2 kids, 5 and 10.  I'm fairly new to prepping, only started last year.  I finally took a look at society and the world in general.  That woke me up and made we discover that I was one of the sheep.  My wife is half heartedly on board with prepping.  I am not one that believes there will be a TEOTWAIKI event, but I do think that there will be increased natural disasters.  I also think that we are ripe for a pandemic or for civil unrest.

We are working to move our of our townhouse to a little more land, about 2 acres.  But the economy makes that tough.

Good show topics.  And I'll be nosing around the forums to see what's around. 

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2009, 06:09:59 AM »
fritz monroe: 

Welcome aboard.  Nice to have you.  You are exactly the kind of person this forum is aimed at: a modern survivalist who's looking around and seeing you need to be more prepared for actual things that you are seeing around you.  You don't live in a bunker with crates of hand grenades. 

This forum is amazing.  I've learned a ton just poking around.  Very nice people on here.

Offline recurve1

• Prepper
« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »
Hello all,  I'm Shawn from Michigan.  46 years old, Electronics Engineer.  Started looking at prepping for Y2K. Looking back, I should be further along than I am.  I have tried to channel my hobbies and "leisure" time activities towards survial type projects and learning.  I have a good sized garden 90 x 130 ft.  When I "woke up" I realized that I am already living at my retreat of 5 acres of rural land, self contained well and septic system.  I'm been a ham for about 10 years and hold an Extra class licence.  I have a teenage son and I'm currently single.  I found this forum by typing "survival podcast" into google.  I really have enjoyed Jack's perspective on survivalism.  I find that for the most part his attitude about these topics mirrors mine, although,  I think he is much more motivated and type A than I am.  I've taken the Dave Ramsey course.  I'm mostly out of debt and starting to get back on my financial feet.  I don't shoot often enough and It's been a while since I broke out the archery equipment.  The pet situation finds me left with only one cat "knarl-neck".

KC8LGD

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #194 on: January 24, 2009, 09:09:21 PM »
Welcome recurve1,
 Looks like you are very prepped w/o realizing it. Good job!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2009, 07:19:11 AM »
Welcome, Shawn.  I wish I was as far along on my preps as you are.  We are in a townhouse and need to sell before we can get to a more suitable location.  Unfortunately, in my area, I can't afford 5 acres, but I'm working on getting 2.

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2009, 08:07:11 AM »
Hi y'all,
I'm Shadowalker. I'm an engineer by trade and have been into survival since 1976. I found the site by accident and really enjoyed listening to the podcasts. I'm ex-military and live in South Texas and am patiently awaiting the invasions of the Golden Hoard (I really like their womens and actually married one). I usually piss everybody off sooner or later so I apologize now. I think this forum is going to be a great place to hang out as from the posts I've read I'm already at home. look forward to sharing with you all.
Regards,
Shadowalker

Offline PaCoTx

• Survivor
  • Halt! WHOO goes there?
« Reply #197 on: January 26, 2009, 09:20:29 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I started listening to the Survival Podcast in late December.  I am mixing in trying to catch up on old episode's that interest me, along with current podcasts.  I currently live in Austin TX, grew up in Pennsylvania, and lived for quite a few years in CO.  I've got a wive and two kids, 4 and almost 2.  I am slowly starting to work my way into a more sustainable lifestyle.

I am enjoying the heck out of listening.  I like the focus on real issues and the fact that the topics in the podcast help make life better, regardless of what happens.  I've always had a survival mentality.  Make due with what you have.  Work hard to get the best, but don't waste excesses.  Know the land and how to live off of it.  Learn as much as you can about as many things as you can that you feel are important... Jack, thanks for addressing so many great topics and making them entertaining.  I loved hearing about Systema, and I've messed with vegetable gardening before in Austin, but gave up when a squirrel ate the lone pepper I was able to grow.  I"m back with a vengeance.

I am slowly working my family into a survivalist mentality by stressing sustainability. I grew up in rural PA, so hunting was a way of life, and gardens grew whatever you planted.   I'm trying to expose my kids to more of the outdoors, and struggling to find the right place here in TX.  In PA, I had farms out my back door, and in CO, there's a cabin that is a few miles from millions of public acres. 

I've been lurking here for a while, and starting to contribute, but just found the intro thread, so here I am.  I hope to be a good contributor.  Thanks to all who have posted.  I've learned a ton by reading already.  Thanks again to Jack for the podcast and getting this thing going.  I'll pass on this place to all the like minded folks I know.

Gregg

PS>  Thanks for the spell check button.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #198 on: January 27, 2009, 10:57:49 AM »
Welcome Shadowalker and GMad!! Spread the word, bring folks in, learn and teach..

Offline T Kehl

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #199 on: January 28, 2009, 08:41:21 PM »
Hi,

I'm 26 and married with one on the way in a couple weeks!   :D  I have my BS in Physics and working on a MS in Materials.  Currently working as an applications engineer and a manufacturer of rotary lobe blowers and superchargers.

I was raised on a farm and plan to eventually be the fourth generation on the same land if I can figure out a way to make a living at it.  I like to garden (expanding again this year), cut firewood for my parents, camp, and enjoy nature.  I'm still learning hunting and fishing as my parent had the philosophy that it was better to let hunters use the land for a portion of the meat and not have to do all the work.   :(

I started listening to the podcast about 3 months ago from a reference on Backwoodshome.  The things that I like most is that it the podcast focuses on real prepping rather than the nuclear holocaust level and the focus on frugal living.  The pyramid of possiblities concept is one that is easily overlooked.  I think it's been about a month since I joined the forum. 

I can thank Jack and the board for two important things in my life.

1.  Getting off my butt and insulating the attic.  (Based on earlier show but reinforced by 128? about life energy is traded for money making it precious.)
2.  Looking up debt snowball software.  I was beginning to think that my debt would be like an eternal flame of ****.  However, after running the numbers and a P/T job added in, CC debt will be dead in a little over two years.  All debt payed down in six!!!!  I can now see light at the end of the tunnel.   :D

Offline sschoolc

• Prepper
« Reply #200 on: January 29, 2009, 07:53:52 AM »
Hello everyone.  I am a 36 year old family man.  I live in West Virginia on 40 acres of West Virginia hills.   I love hunting, fishing, gardening and farming.   My wife home-schools our 3 children.  We are pretty unhappy with the direction the Country is headed in on almost all levels.    I am a network admin by trade but I want to be a farmer when I grow up. 8)

I heard about the podcast on another podcast called Geek Farm Life.    I absolutely love the Survival Podcast and hope that Jack doesn't burn himself out and let it die like so many other good podcasts have done over the years.

I'm currently trying to catch up on the podcast and also the forums.   This is a great source of information and its wonderfull to find out that there are  so many other like-minded people in the country.   If you watch mainstream media it seems that our kind are extinct!

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #201 on: January 29, 2009, 08:00:54 AM »
I absolutely love the Survival Podcast and hope that Jack doesn't burn himself out and let it die like so many other good podcasts have done over the years.

I concur.

Welcome sschoolc!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #202 on: January 29, 2009, 08:37:20 AM »
Welcome folks.  I'm  impressed with the number of people signing up this week.

sschoolc, thanks for mentioning that podcast, I'm going to take a look at that one also since it's on something that I've recently become interested in.  I'm hoping that when we sell, the place we want is still available and I'll be able to put some of this info to work.

Offline mbarnatl

• Prepper
« Reply #203 on: January 31, 2009, 02:03:09 PM »
Hello everyone,

I live in the NE Georgia Mountains. I am a 45 year old single father raising two daughters full time. Served in the Army four years active and two years reserve.

I was taught when I was young on prepping for disasters from my parents. I mainly prep for local and regional natural disasters. I have lived in several states and countries that has allowed me to experience alot of different types of disaster prepping. I have been in several tornadoes, ice storms, blackouts, blizzards, unemployment, hurricanes and the last couple of years in a drought situation. I also am into wilderness survival because we do alot of geocaching, camping and hiking.

I found Jack's podcast last week by accident when I was playing with my new Google G1 cell phone. I am really glad to have found this forum and his podcast. I also have a 40 mile commute to and from work, so this gives me something to listen to. I am half way through his podcasts so far. I also hope that he keeps the podcast going for a long time.

I hope to learn from other members here and as well to help others. Knowledge to me is the most important part of preparing.

Thanks for letting me into your community,
                                                               mbarnatl

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #204 on: January 31, 2009, 05:57:09 PM »
Welcome mbarnatl.  We're a friendly bunch and teach each other tons of stuff.

Offline vicious

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Building a better future
    • Payne Country
« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2009, 08:43:39 AM »
Hi All, I'm Jimmy. I'm a transplant to Oklahoma from Northern VA. We had enough of the city life, and my wife is from the next town over, so it was a no brainer to move here and get back to living a more family oriented lifestyle.

I'm 32, married to a spectacular woman, and have two kids who I think are spoiled but are good none the less. I'm an IT guy, and was raised in the city, but we're really making a go of our new "homestead".

Living in NOVA during the 9-11-2001 tragedies caused me to begin thinking about preps, and really led me to become the main organizer for our extended family. It was, what I would consider, a futile effort to protect my immediate family. It was a great exercise, but I am glad we never had to put it into place. Our move from NOVA caused a huge change in our preps and thoughts about preps. I never realized how different prepping to stay home was from prepping to "bug out". We're working on rebuilding our stocks around staying home, and more so preparing sustainable food sources for the family.

One major thing I have found with my desire to prepare is that it gets me spending much more time with my wife and kids in a more intimate setting, and it allows me to really get to know them outside of what they watch on TV and listen to on the radio. When you're hiking for a day, you have to either converse or be silent, and I like to talk.

I caught Jack's podcast around episode 85 and have been listening to them ever since. I'm a tried and true lurker, but I plan on joining in more often.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2009, 11:07:50 AM »
Welcome Jim(vicious)!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #207 on: February 02, 2009, 07:50:04 PM »
To all the n00bs, WELCOME!  :)  Glad you're here, and hope you join in as often as you desire to!   ;D

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2009, 09:11:26 AM »
Hi,
I live in England although I'm from OK.  Have been here about 19 years this time around (had one year of uni here).  I'm a homeschooling mom to 5 ages nearly-18 down to 6.  My husband is a scientist (physicist).  We have 4 backyard chickens (down from nine, lost some recently  :( ) and one feisty chameleon  ::).  We go to a Grace Baptist church.

I am here because I'm interested in preparing for possible problems of any sort, although my preps will be very small potatoes to some here.  I have a bunch of TSP podcasts on my mp3 player, and in fact am about to fix myself some tea and go listen to some while I grade some schoolwork. 

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2009, 02:01:55 PM »
Welcome to the forums rosesandtea.