Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 2009376 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #7950 on: October 20, 2017, 01:13:30 PM »
WOW!  Quite the resource!   I need to get reading.  I also need to start printing some of this in case....   Thank you for the share!

Anyone with the link can download from my files. Enjoy

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7951 on: October 20, 2017, 04:52:00 PM »
Welcome Coral

Offline HanaHH

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7952 on: October 21, 2017, 02:31:09 AM »
Hi to all, also new here. I live in Croatia and have 29 years. Sorry for bad English. Welcome

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #7953 on: October 21, 2017, 02:58:17 AM »
Welcome from Texas HanaHH

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7954 on: October 21, 2017, 06:29:24 AM »
Hi to all, also new here. I live in Croatia and have 29 years. Sorry for bad English. Welcome

You are welcome here. Your english is good.

Offline KellyAnn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #7955 on: November 01, 2017, 04:50:19 PM »
Not exactly "new" here, I registered in 2011 and was active for a while.
Took an extended hiatus from the forums after the birth of our son in 2013.  (Four years is a heck of an extended hiatus.)
Didn't stop with being prepared, just the forum. 

Looking forward to getting back into the forum.
I remember this place being full of friendly help folks, and judging from my quick look around the boards, that's still true.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #7956 on: November 01, 2017, 05:01:15 PM »
Well Hi KellyAnn. Glad you came back. Four years isn't long considering the kids.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7957 on: November 01, 2017, 05:16:33 PM »
Welcum back.  :clap: Tell us about your storage and such. Food, goodies, ammo, critters.  ;D

we like stories (especially Redman) and pics.

LVWood

« Reply #7958 on: November 01, 2017, 05:47:03 PM »
Welcum back.  :clap: Tell us about your storage and such. Food, goodies, ammo, critters.  ;D

we like stories (especially Redman) and pics.

Well mostly Redman likes pics...

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7959 on: November 01, 2017, 05:50:22 PM »
That he does.  :egyptian:

Offline KellyAnn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #7960 on: November 01, 2017, 05:50:50 PM »
No guns or ammo as we live in the People's State of California (near San Francisco/San Jose).  My spouse works in tech and we moved so he could pursue a job with his dream company.  Pepper spray and a good knife (ok, more than one).

We're prepping in an apartment, so that comes with some fun challenges.  Right now we've got maybe a one month supply of most things.  I'd love to get more, but we live on the 3rd floor and there's no elevator, so whatever I want to store, I've got to carry up two flights of stairs (and I'm a bit lazy).  We also know we're going to move locally within a few months, and will be moving to a ground floor apartment (so sayeth I).  It'll be a lot easier to move things into the apartment then, and we'll be back to buying larger amounts of things like flour, rice, canned goods, etc.

No critters.  Sadly our pet kitty (see avatar) passed away about four years ago.  A pet would add several hundred dollars onto our already extraordinarily high rent.  So although I'd love a cat or a dog, it's not an option right now.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7961 on: November 01, 2017, 05:57:29 PM »
Sounds good. Guess you need to work on your lists. (We all have to-do lists)
List what you want to store and how much, after you move.
Will you plan on having some area to maybe garden after you move?

Offline KellyAnn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #7962 on: November 01, 2017, 07:14:19 PM »
Lots of lists :) Basically just a lot more of what we've already got.

Garden depends entirely on how much light we get (or don't).
At the moment I've got a thai chili plant and a thai basil plant at the request of my Thai food loving spouse.  They're in containers, so they'll move with us.
I'd like to grow some tomatoes again, if we have enough sun.

I tried growing citrus at our last apartment, but it didn't go well (not enough light).

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #7963 on: November 02, 2017, 02:58:55 AM »
That he does.  :egyptian:
Well mostly Redman likes pics...

Hey I like stories too.

Sounds like your are doing pretty much as well is you can do with what you have.  :clap:

Offline LodeRunner

• Prepper
  • Let the sparks fly...
« Reply #7964 on: November 05, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »
Howdy all,

50ish male combat veteran here, married with a teen-age son; electrical engineering degree but professional background is mostly computer systems engineering; ham radio operator (27 years licensed, Extra class since 1999); some medical experience (used to volunteer as an EMT with local rescue unit).  Lots of shooting exp. IPSA, F-Class rifle, reloading & gunsmithing.  I've also done a lot with solar and other emergency power systems - power budget, storage (battery) provisioning, making useful Diversion Loads for wind/water generators, & etc.  I've been prepping on/off (mostly on) since the Y2K thing.

My wife isn't much into prepping, but she (mostly) lets me do my thing with it.  We live in a pretty rural part of NC and have a decent size property, which is great for ham radio antennas, shooting, gardening and such.  But the down-side is that there aren't any clubs/groups nearby for things like homesteading, prepping, etc. so I just keep looking for on-line resources.  That's how I ended up here  :)

I don't do racial or other radical politics; not interested in joining any militia, cult, or secret society; and I'm not going to 'buy in' to any BOL or retreat deal - so please don't invite me to join/do any of these things.  Sorry I have to put that in here, but it's a weird world we live in.

More than happy to share what I know with folks.  Looking to learn about gardening/farming/forestry, livestock, permaculture, food canning, blacksmithing, and leather tanning.

Cheers

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7965 on: November 06, 2017, 01:54:11 PM »
Welcome LR, I think you'll be a good fit in here.

Offline LodeRunner

• Prepper
  • Let the sparks fly...
« Reply #7966 on: November 07, 2017, 12:23:36 PM »
Welcome LR, I think you'll be a good fit in here.

Having a good time, already.
Thanks!

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7967 on: November 12, 2017, 12:04:32 AM »
Having a good time, already.
Thanks!

Wow. Didn't fit. I saw the flameout, I expect a crash tomorrow.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7968 on: November 12, 2017, 07:16:05 AM »
  The secret militia cult underground bunker is by invitation only :D

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7969 on: November 12, 2017, 08:45:06 AM »

:facepalm:  ;D ;D

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7970 on: November 12, 2017, 02:19:41 PM »

After the thread where Greekman,Mountainmoma,and our Moderator were attacked....
 :wtf:I withdraw any invitation to the secret militia underground clubhouse . :stop:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7971 on: November 12, 2017, 04:33:16 PM »
I would to.

Offline kingranch03

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Developing a 30 acre homestead from bare land.
    • High Sierra Permaculture
« Reply #7972 on: November 28, 2017, 08:13:41 PM »
Howdy everyone!

A year and a half ago, my partner and I bought 30 acres of raw land in the mountains of Northern CA, with the dream of a developing a regenerative homestead.

We had a little trailer to put on the land and that was going to be our home.

Two weeks later we found out we were going to have a baby! We knew we wanted him to be born on the land, it seemed fitting since the land was bought with the intention of being a subsistence life for us. We also knoew it wasn't going to work having us and a newborn in a small trailer in the winter in the mountains.

So, we dove in, with a 9-month 'deadline'... by ourselves to build our home.

This past year has been crazy - building an alternative small home, grading, water harvesting roads, power systems, gravity-fed water systems, woodshed, shop and more. While always in a rush to get our home built for the arrival of our little boy, we have applied permie principles as much as possible.

Somehow we also started an orchard, started a flock of free-range chickens, and developed a 1/4 acre veggie garden. All while figuring out how in the heck to be new parents.

Today I sit inside, our first winter storm of the season and work on getting caught up on rest, grateful for this life off the land.

Looking forward to sharing and learning from others here on the forum.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #7973 on: November 28, 2017, 08:19:21 PM »
You are both brave.  Welcome aboard!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7974 on: November 28, 2017, 09:45:38 PM »
Wow, Kingranch... you've accomplished a lot in very short time! Would love to hear more about your success... glad you are here.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #7975 on: November 29, 2017, 03:31:05 AM »
Wow, Kingranch... you've accomplished a lot in very short time! Would love to hear more about your success... glad you are here.
You are both brave.  Welcome aboard!

Absolutely and looking forward to hearing more from you. Welcome.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7976 on: November 29, 2017, 10:16:23 AM »
Howdy everyone!

A year and a half ago, my partner and I bought 30 acres of raw land in the mountains of Northern CA, with the dream of a developing a regenerative homestead.

We had a little trailer to put on the land and that was going to be our home.

Two weeks later we found out we were going to have a baby! We knew we wanted him to be born on the land, it seemed fitting since the land was bought with the intention of being a subsistence life for us. We also knoew it wasn't going to work having us and a newborn in a small trailer in the winter in the mountains.

This past year has been crazy - building an alternative small home, grading, water harvesting roads, power systems, gravity-fed water systems, woodshed, shop and more. While always in a rush to get our home built for the arrival of our little boy, we have applied permie principles as much as possible.

Somehow we also started an orchard, started a flock of free-range chickens, and developed a 1/4 acre veggie garden. All while figuring out how in the heck to be new parents.

Today I sit inside, our first winter storm of the season and work on getting caught up on rest, grateful for this life off the land.

Looking forward to sharing and learning from others here on the forum.

Welcome aboard!

My wife and I just completed a similar journey. In June of '16, she quit her well paying job to be a stay at home mom. In July, we broke ground on our new home on 68 acres. In August, the wife, myself, and 2 young kids moved into a trailer on the property so my daughter could start school in the new district. In November, we found out we were expecting our third child! In February of this year, we finally moved into our new home. Since then, we've been working on finishing the inside all while raising a new baby. Lucky, we knew how to be parents. But it seems somedays the older kids forgot how to be helpful!

Offline Packerfan78

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7977 on: November 29, 2017, 03:06:01 PM »
Greetings,
I am new to homesteading and survivalism. We live on a 10 acre plot I share with my dad and my uncle. I own 5 acres but we collectively fenced in the whole 10 acres to keep feral dogs and riff raff out. My wife isn't really into homesteading but its kind of become a necessary hobby because the land is undeveloped and we have alot of empty land. My kids love animals so we have a horse, chickens, dogs and other small animals. I really want to learn to make the most out of my land since right now its empty. Currently I am planting trees that will be useful for food production and will also make the place look cool. We have a small garden but we didnt get much production out of it. This spring I plan on making a bigger one on an area with better soil.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7978 on: November 29, 2017, 03:19:25 PM »
Greetings,
I am new to homesteading and survivalism. We live on a 10 acre plot I share with my dad and my uncle. I own 5 acres but we collectively fenced in the whole 10 acres to keep feral dogs and riff raff out. My wife isn't really into homesteading but its kind of become a necessary hobby because the land is undeveloped and we have alot of empty land. My kids love animals so we have a horse, chickens, dogs and other small animals. I really want to learn to make the most out of my land since right now its empty. Currently I am planting trees that will be useful for food production and will also make the place look cool. We have a small garden but we didnt get much production out of it. This spring I plan on making a bigger one on an area with better soil.
Welcome to the forum!

Gardening seems to be a process of persistence more than brilliance.  It will get better.

Offline kingranch03

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Developing a 30 acre homestead from bare land.
    • High Sierra Permaculture
« Reply #7979 on: November 29, 2017, 04:33:19 PM »
...Lucky, we knew how to be parents. But it seems somedays the older kids forgot how to be helpful!

Well shoot - I was kinda counting on him being my little helper ;)