Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 2033827 times)

Withorwithout

Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #870 on: September 07, 2009, 09:08:07 PM »
If you want somethin' different, you definitely got it.  :)

Hey Lou - lookit!  Another new lou member!

Thanks for the welcome!

Just a cursory viewing and I think I'm gonna like this place.  Lots of good info and seems to be a good crowd.

A little more about me:

38 year old male, married, father of 2 young girls

Started prepping about 2 years ago.  Having my first child had a real effect on me.......the idea of not being able to feed her, having my family left vulnerable and dependent on government assistance during times of disaster, etc.  Even though I have a long way to go, it simply amazes me how so many people refuse prep. 

Top of the ole threat matrix is hurricanes as I live south of I-10.  I'm more of a prepper at this point than working toward self-sufficiency, but am slowly moving in that direction. 

My plan is to mine information from the forum but, truth be told, I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut and will likely waste bandwidth by replying and perhaps even starting a thread or two.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #871 on: September 07, 2009, 09:57:25 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!

Most welcome, sir.

Just a cursory viewing and I think I'm gonna like this place.  Lots of good info and seems to be a good crowd.

Very, very, very good crowd.  A few nutjobs, but they made us all "moderators" and "admin" so that you could tell us apart from the normal folk.

My plan is to mine information from the forum but, truth be told, I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut and will likely waste bandwidth by replying and perhaps even starting a thread or two.

Yup, you're gonna fit riiiiiight in.  ;D

Offline savageknives

• Prepper
« Reply #872 on: September 07, 2009, 11:10:48 PM »
evilphish, if i ever produce something worth taking a picture of yall will be the first to see. i did finish a few flint strikers today and they throw some sparks. i was happy with those for sure.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #873 on: September 07, 2009, 11:43:41 PM »
savageknives,

I would really like to get into blacksmithing. It has always fascinated me. My grandfather was a blacksmith. I have his apprentice book, printed in 1908. The color plates showing what color the iron is at different temperatures is hand painted. Even book publishers couldn't print color then.

Offline Pitaprez

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #874 on: September 08, 2009, 02:04:47 AM »
Hello to all  I found the TSP by listening to Eric Shelton at the Handgun Podcast.  I downloaded about 25 or so episodes and started to listen.  I have been poking around the forums a little and decided it was time to join.  From my poking around it looks like y'all are a bunch of good folks who have a lot of knowledge so I hope you don't mind if I pick a few brains before I start giving my two cents on stuff. 
I live in Southern AZ but am not a original native.  I grew up on a farm in Michigan but the winters got to be too much for me.  I am looking forward to getting to know people here and maybe even meet up with some folks from SoAZ. 
Have a great week to everyone and catch you later.
HJP

Offline savageknives

• Prepper
« Reply #875 on: September 08, 2009, 10:18:52 AM »
hey tex, if your anywhere close to abilene or end up close to here for some reason email me. im very much an amateur but id love to show you anything i know.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #876 on: September 08, 2009, 11:27:56 AM »
Hello to all  I found the TSP by listening to Eric Shelton at the Handgun Podcast.  I downloaded about 25 or so episodes and started to listen.  I have been poking around the forums a little and decided it was time to join.  From my poking around it looks like y'all are a bunch of good folks who have a lot of knowledge so I hope you don't mind if I pick a few brains before I start giving my two cents on stuff. 
I live in Southern AZ but am not a original native.  I grew up on a farm in Michigan but the winters got to be too much for me.  I am looking forward to getting to know people here and maybe even meet up with some folks from SoAZ. 
Have a great week to everyone and catch you later.
HJP

Awesome!  Welcome to the forum!  :)

Ayla

« Reply #877 on: September 08, 2009, 01:06:30 PM »
Hi I'm Ayla.  I've been studying permaculture design and hopefully will be finishing my certification this year.  I'm not an experienced gardener, or gun handler or survivalist but I'm learning a lot of Jack's shows.  I just started listening a few weeks ago during long drives.  I've also be studying and working with several groups to educate people about, and who are getting involved with complementary currency, permaculture, gift economies, yard sharing, neighborhood cooperatives, CSA's, really free markets, clothing swaps, food not lawns, eco-villages, holistic health and other related topics.  We believe that if people work together cooperatively, we'll be safer and live better lives than if try to survive individually and fight one another for resources.   I'm not sure if I have my family on board yet.

I look forward to learning and sharing and making some new friends here.

Cheers,
Ayla

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #878 on: September 08, 2009, 04:23:49 PM »
Welcome Ayla!  It sounds like you're already working toward a better tomorrow!  :)

Parabarbarian

« Reply #879 on: September 08, 2009, 09:41:04 PM »
This seems to be the place for introductions so here goes.

I've been a Systems and Network Engineer since 1997.  I'm currently working for a small local company.  Before that I worked Aerospace for about 13 years. Most of that time was in Quality Engineering because of my background in ultrasonic and fluorescent dye penetrant.  Before that I was a dishwasher and auto mechanic.  I've also done some real time programming

I started "prepping" back when it was variously called "civil defense", "civil preparedness" or sometimes just "common sense".  I grew up raising chickens, growing a fairly large garden every year and tending a small orchard of various fruit trees.  My family only did organic gardening so I know what it means to load, haul in, and spread several pickup truckload of cow s**t.  I didn't do much of the canning but I did learn how to make a fair apricot wine.

The lean years of getting through college the first time around reinforced a vague desire to be ready for anything from a four hour power outage to Betelgeuse finishing its collapse to a supernova.  The preparation and the attitudes it promoted helped a lot when Aerospace went to crap in California and I went back to school for a second degree.

I have some experience with firearms but I'd be considered a "gun nut" only by the ignorant.  I hunted for several years -- mostly deer and wild pig -- but not much lately.  I still have the rifles and I practice regularly.  I did buy a couple of 223 carbines for the womenfolk but they lost interest so I'll probably sell them.

Other than that, lets see... I've helped dig a couple of wells and I have a passing familiarity with steam power plants.  I can do simple stuff on a lathe or milling machine but I'm sure as sin no machinist.

Offline Hawaii Guy

• Prepper
« Reply #880 on: September 09, 2009, 03:13:23 AM »
I love your avatar!
What a Good Dog!
(because there is no Bad Dog) ;D

Awwright locomoco from Kalihi... Good to hear from you braddah hows seattle???

Soapy

« Reply #881 on: September 09, 2009, 08:23:31 AM »
Hello from Atlantic Canada,
I've been listening to Jack since Jan. '09. The survival podcast was one of the hits while googling preparedness. I posted in the ladies forum yesterday, and Sister Wolf suggested I introduce myself here too.

My husband (Reno-man) and I have been putting lots of energy and $$ into renovating an old farmhouse for the last 3 years, but we haven't taken the time to put in much of a garden (just onions and squash this year) or livestock yet. 

On our first homestead I learned the basics of soap making, milking goats, raising chickens and meat rabbits, squarefoot gardening and living without running water or indoor plumbing which is my least fond memory. Well...now that I think about it, killing the rabbits by hand with a hammer and sharp knife isn't such a great memory either. I really need to take the firearm safety course so we can own a firearm!

Aside from our day jobs as fabric store employee and Stationary Engineer, I teach hand and machine sewing to children in my home studio, and Reno-man takes on electronic fix-it jobs. I mean, he will resume doing so as soon as his new workroom is complete.

Anyway, it's been a few years since we homesteaded. I'm rusty, and may not have much to offer for a while, but am really looking forward to being part of this great community.

Soapy

PS. Are there any other Bluenosers on the forum?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #882 on: September 09, 2009, 11:34:49 AM »
Welcome to our new folks!!!!!!! :)

papaswamp

« Reply #883 on: September 09, 2009, 11:39:35 AM »
Hey all from NE Florida! Hope all is well, look forward to learning much and hopefully contributing something.

-T

Offline slippy

• Prepper
« Reply #884 on: September 09, 2009, 12:49:55 PM »
Noob from the People's Republic of Maryland checking here.
I am 36 with 2 children.  For work I am education administrator and owner of a child care business.

I have always been interested in prepping but was feeling a bit like a nut case.  Friends and family call me paranoid and insist there is a pill out there with my name on it.

However, I made the decision to come out in the open after Katrina.  I watched in awe as people made no effort to improve their situation knowing full well the impending doom that was heading their way.  As we all saw neither God nor government came to the rescue.  We are on our own & self-reliance will be the savior at the end of the day.

I must admit I am feeling a bit overwhelmed because there is so much to know.  I found this podcast in my search for knowledge.  Needless to say, I find it comforting that there are like-minded people out there.  I will most likely have many questions please be patient ( I will be sure to search the threads before asking  ;) )

My wife says that my problem is I do not trust anyone....I tell her her problem is she trusts anyone.
We recently purchased property in WVa and will be building in the coming months.  The Mrs. and kids call it a vacation home but to me it is our BOL.  Looking forward to spending lots of time learning and eventually contributing.

Respectfully,
Slippy

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #885 on: September 09, 2009, 12:55:34 PM »
Welcome, Slippy! :)

Offline Leucaena

• Prepper
« Reply #886 on: September 09, 2009, 02:04:02 PM »
Market Gardener, free-market anarchist, and permaculture enthusiast from deep south Texas, checking in. Howdy.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #887 on: September 09, 2009, 02:33:27 PM »
Hello and Howdy to all the newcomers! Sit back, learn and help us all learn.

Offline Augerus

• Prepper
« Reply #888 on: September 09, 2009, 09:25:55 PM »
I served in both the US Air Force and US Army as an EOD technician. Among much other training, I did jungle survival training in the Philippines and was an early user/tester of the Barrett .50 cal M82. I also had the opportunity to qualify with Bundeswher weapons in Germany (the MG3 really rips-out the rounds in a hurry). My favorite will always be the M2 .50 cal machine gun. I got out of the military after playing in the sandbox and cleaning up some of the mess we made in Desert Storm. Between military stints I worked corporate security for a bit in Arkansas.

I then went to school (on my own nickel) and earned a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering degree while remodeling a broken-down house I was living in (profits from which paid-off most of my college debt), and working full-time in a pawn shop. 

As an engineer, I've worked mostly in aviation doing system integration design for military aircraft and also worked for a bit designing and supporting the installation of security systems for the US Customs and US military bases. I've done remote solar/wind power design and performance testing of remote-operated security cameras and related systems. I'm the kind of person who would rather learn how to do something myself than pay someone else to do it.

I've been a 'prepper' of some capacity since I was a kid of about 9 years. Knowing how fragile the technology we depend on is; it amazes me how well we can keep it going in the USA.

Right now I live in northern Alabama and I'm searching for a nice bit of land in Tennessee to start a homestead and chuck the corporate life. (For me, Dilbert is not a comic strip; it's a documentary.)

Let the ladies know that I'm middle-aged (46) from the mid-west and available!

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #889 on: September 09, 2009, 10:45:37 PM »
Welcome to all the new members. Good to see you here.

The Wilderness

EatLedBich

« Reply #890 on: September 10, 2009, 09:52:55 AM »
Another newby to the forum. I hope you don't find my user id inappropiate. It's sort of a premonition (and a joke-i think). I'm a Software Engineerd in the Corvallis, Oregon or "Or-E-Gun" to you East Coast folks. 3 kids, wife, dog and like many of you, have felt the average American lifestyle doesn't feel right or sustainable. I'm 100% on board with the philosophies of this survivalism movement and have made a lot of personal progress in my own little slice of suburbia. I've ramped up my efforts since I found you folks which was in April or May of this year. This podcast/site/forum has really helped me with prioritizing.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #891 on: September 10, 2009, 10:55:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum, ELB!  ;)

Offline EagleNewB1984

• Prepper
« Reply #892 on: September 10, 2009, 02:00:35 PM »
Hello all, I am a professional geek and currently reside in one of the larger cities in Kentucky.  I guess you could say that I have had prepper tendencies throughout most of my life.  I found this show a couple of weeks ago and have been steadily going through all the podcasts.  I've never really thought about survival as a way of life.  It was always that the excrement was about to spray so I need to prepare for it.  So far I've always been wrong.  It makes a hell of a lot more sense to me to look at it as wrestling back my independence.  As of right now I am about 1% down the road to where I'd like to be.  I grow herbs and peppers in the few square feet of sunlight I have. I always have a small bug out kit (food, shelter, water) in the car and a pack at the house. This is also my backpacking gear so It's always rotated and ready to go.  I'm looking forward to educating myself and hopefully having something to contribute. 

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #893 on: September 10, 2009, 02:10:27 PM »
Yay!  New geeks!  What is the answer to life, the universe and everything?

Welcome, Eagle!

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #894 on: September 10, 2009, 03:00:28 PM »
What is the answer to life, the universe and everything?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #895 on: September 10, 2009, 03:01:43 PM »

I was asking the EAGLE!  NOT the fish!  :D  ;)

Damn babblefish always giving the answer to everything.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #896 on: September 10, 2009, 04:16:58 PM »

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #897 on: September 10, 2009, 04:53:40 PM »
But what's the question?

Not even the universe's largest super computer can figure that one out.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #898 on: September 10, 2009, 05:23:09 PM »
I was asking the EAGLE!  NOT the fish!  :D  ;)
Damn babblefish always giving the answer to everything.

That's it's job... Make things known..

But what's the question?
The Ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything.

Not even the universe's largest super computer can figure that one out.
That's the answer, not the question.

Geek score +1...

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #899 on: September 10, 2009, 05:40:11 PM »
I defer the answer to the question to the learned Professor Irwin Corey:

Professor Irwin Corey at the Cutting Room NYC