Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 2019808 times)

drthtater

Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #1080 on: October 07, 2009, 07:57:42 PM »
Hey people.

New member from NC

Found the site via a podcast, and I like what I see so far :)

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #1081 on: October 07, 2009, 11:10:12 PM »
Welcome to all the new folks, pull up a stump and enjoy.

The Wilderness

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #1082 on: October 07, 2009, 11:56:09 PM »
LOL, no its Bela Lagosi he's wearing a cape its just a bad pic with the Igor looking guy in the suit ;D
thanks for the welcome

You're welcome for my welcome (or something)!  :D

I swear bela lagosi looks like he is wearing a tutu.  It makes me want to make a vampire tutu costume.  ;D

In all seriousness, now that you've pointed out that it's a cape, it's totally obvious.  I'm such a dork.  :D

Offline Carl2

• Prepper
« Reply #1083 on: October 08, 2009, 05:58:16 AM »
Hello.  I've lurked but not taken the time to check in.  I've believed in preparedness since Boy Scouts, a long time ago.  There are some areas of expertise I can share.  Best wishes to all.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #1084 on: October 08, 2009, 07:33:20 AM »
Awesome!  Thanks for taking the leap and deciding to start posting!  :)

Offline dementeddigital

• Prepper
« Reply #1085 on: October 08, 2009, 07:40:32 AM »
I've been lurking here for a while, and I figured that I'd at least introduce myself.

I'm interested in learning more about gardening and permaculture (when my work schedule permits).  I'm not a stranger to preparedness, but I'm still learning.  I'd consider myself early in the process, though.

My background is in electronic design.  I'm somewhat active in ham radio, though not as much as I'd like.

I also want to say thanks for a great forum and podcast!

Offline dementeddigital

• Prepper
« Reply #1086 on: October 08, 2009, 07:41:57 AM »
Oops!

I should have posted this in the intro thread.

Sorry about that...

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #1087 on: October 08, 2009, 07:48:16 AM »
I merged it for you dementeddigital. 

Welcome to the forum!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1088 on: October 08, 2009, 10:39:25 AM »
Oh yes we do. Electronics are OK when everything is running smoothly, but when things start to fall apart, books will be the best way to pass on knowledge.

Exactly! How's your inventory on preparedness books?  lol.

Offline SigMan34

• Survivor
« Reply #1089 on: October 08, 2009, 10:40:28 AM »
Hello Everyone,

A real greenhorn here, but at the ripe ol' age of 62, I'm ready to learn and act on it. Better late than never?  :D

I'm an avid believer in and defender of our Second Amendment rights; been a CPL-holder going on 3 years now. An avid listener to Jack's podcasts, I'm now planning my new Square Foot Garden and placed my first order for silver rounds just this week. Small beginnings, but step-by-step we'll get there.

Fantastic forum with tons of info here. Thanks for letting me join in.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #1090 on: October 08, 2009, 11:08:04 AM »
Welcome Sigman!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #1091 on: October 08, 2009, 02:27:37 PM »
Exactly! How's your inventory on preparedness books?  lol.
Just 6-8 books right now.... Should start a poll on that...

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #1092 on: October 08, 2009, 06:29:17 PM »
Hi all.

Welcome aboard.

Offline LEO

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1093 on: October 08, 2009, 07:50:39 PM »
Hello to all members. Leo is my name and prepping is my game.  I'm retired from the US Army and get up each morning with nothing to do and don't get it all done by night time. My wife and I are living in Yuba City, Northern California. Have been prepping for about a year or so. Planted our first raised beds 3x3 with 4ft legs for elevation and tried SFG with limited success. My Zucchini and Summer Squash dominated most of the beds. I like to shoot straight and often. Like to fish as often as possible. We have food stored enough for 60 days and working on more at every time we shop. I listen to Jack's podcast every day and I'm looking forward to looking into all the threads. Nice to meet you guys and gals.

Offline alw357

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1094 on: October 08, 2009, 07:56:43 PM »
Hello All,
I am knew to the Survival Podcast. I like what I see so far. I am here to learn what I can about being prepared. I am a former Infantry Officer, LEO, and I like being outdoors.

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #1095 on: October 08, 2009, 09:01:42 PM »
Hello,
 My name is Calvin and I am from NE Ga. new to the website but I have been semi-prepping for about a year. Figured it was about time to get serious about prepping are to stick my head back in the sand one are the other.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #1096 on: October 08, 2009, 09:05:29 PM »
Welcome to all of the new folks. So many new people everyday! Thanks for joining in. Everyone knows something we all need too.

ssolo_99

« Reply #1097 on: October 08, 2009, 09:36:26 PM »
hi all.

SparkyT

« Reply #1098 on: October 09, 2009, 06:31:46 AM »
Howdy all!  I'm a Mainer that has been infected by the prepping bug!  Discovered the podcast back in July, and started at episode 1.  As of yesterday, I'm completely caught up (minus a handful of shows that were pertinent to 'current' events last year).  I don't have broadband at home, so I listen at work, but now that I'll only have one show a day :(, I can spare a few moments during my day to swing in a say hi!  Glad to be amongst a group of like-minded folks, and looking forward to learning together. :)

Travis

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #1099 on: October 09, 2009, 07:47:58 AM »
Welcome Sparky and ssolo! There is a lot here to learn, so put on your thinking caps!

Offline Kagetsu

• Prepper
« Reply #1100 on: October 09, 2009, 09:08:02 AM »
I'm a gun freedom fan in Maryland,,,  :P yea, my bad luck to be in a gun control world as bad as DC or New York.

I started planning living in the woods eating roots and ground hogs with my M-16. I don't like being wet cold or skinning my own food. Meh. I still like the idea of wild food, but would miss sushi and BBQ too much long term.

I read up on self sufficient homesteading. I'm just not a farmer, though I like smoked ham and tractors.  :-*

Now that I'm "older", I'm looking to be like "Californian's". Ready with work gloves and training to help dig others out of the rubble, rather than "New Orleanians"  fighting as gangs while "authorities" strip citizens of guns then are unable to help the victims they create, and waiting for the Democrats to feed me till the forms are processed to build me a new subsidized house.

The closest I came to a refugee camp was the tent city at the Oshkosh EAA airshow.  

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 09:15:43 AM by Kagetsu »

AkronHef

« Reply #1101 on: October 09, 2009, 11:01:39 AM »
Hello fellow TSP fans

I'm Hef, I have been listening to Jack for about 6 months, I absolutely love the show. I listen to it every night at work on my ipod.

Here in Northeastern Ohio my wife and I have a 2yr old little boy and a little girl due December 10th or so.  I have been a preparedness minded person most of my life. I grew up camping, backpacking, fishing, shooting, all of the great activities one can enjoy near trees or water. My wife is not really on board but I am working slowly on her. Wether she is really aware of it or not I have built our pantry up past the 30 day mark, keep extra fuel, other heat sources, and documentation/BOBs.

I am very glad that this show is out there and bringing wonderful info to all of us. Thank you to Jack, the Mods, the advertisers, and all involved.
Hef

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #1102 on: October 09, 2009, 11:34:07 AM »
Big welcomes to Kagetsu (your post made me giggle :D ) and to Hef (nice name, there, darlin' ;D ).  Welcome to our little pod!  Okay... not so little, is it?  Kinda huge.  Welcome anyhow.  Take a look around, and jump right in anywhere you want!  :)

Arioch_Montaskew

« Reply #1103 on: October 09, 2009, 12:56:40 PM »
Hi everyone.  I'm from Central Texas, North Austin really, and have lived here most of my life.  I've been an avid fan of survival studies since my boy scout years.

I'm interested in homesteading, rammed earth and strawbale construction, solar power, and rainwater collection.  I've been working in both the high tech sector and solar/rainwater systems for the last few years.

I'm currently looking for some recreational "get away" land out in the country a bit, as well as stocking up on long term food storage.

I'm working on a project right now that is a stand alone product that will collect and filter water, generate both ac and dc power, and both water and grow a ton of plants.

Offline MToons

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1104 on: October 09, 2009, 02:56:40 PM »
Hey everyone..new listener from Ohio.  Hope to get to know some of you guys in time!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #1105 on: October 09, 2009, 04:35:05 PM »
Welcome to all the new people! Sit back, relax, read, learn and help teach!

Offline KatieH

• Prepper
« Reply #1106 on: October 09, 2009, 06:52:23 PM »
Hey ya'll. I'm Katie, I'm 19 years old and I'm from New Zealand. I starting learning about preparedness a few years ago but have just started to get really into it. I'm not sure how I started since it's not a normal thing that a teenage girl gets into but I LOVE it! I'm planning on volunteering for Civil Defence next year and also to join the Reserve Army over here to get practical experience.  Anyway! I just started listening to the podcast and I love it. Also love reading all the forum posts. Nice to meet everyone :)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #1107 on: October 09, 2009, 07:32:32 PM »
Hey ya'll. I'm Katie, I'm 19 years old and I'm from New Zealand. I starting learning about preparedness a few years ago but have just started to get really into it. I'm not sure how I started since it's not a normal thing that a teenage girl gets into but I LOVE it! I'm planning on volunteering for Civil Defence next year and also to join the Reserve Army over here to get practical experience.  Anyway! I just started listening to the podcast and I love it. Also love reading all the forum posts. Nice to meet everyone :)

Hey Katie!  My best friend is over there in kiwi land, studying genetics at Massey!  So I have a biiiiiig soft spot for New Zealand.  Welcome to the forum, darlin'!

Offline bsmith_shoot

• Survivor
  • My boys!
« Reply #1108 on: October 09, 2009, 08:03:41 PM »
Hey folks, I love the podcast, and am glad I finally made the jump to the forum. I'm 29 years old with a wife(thats expecting a little boy) and a three year old little boy that makes life worth preparing for. I am a carpenter by trade, and I love my job. My father, and myself, raise about an acre of garden every year. My mother, father,and myself, preserve and can enough food every year to feed a small army. It's always been this way for us, it just came natural for me. I have spent a few years in law enforcement and corrections, and am running for sheriff in the next election. I spent some time in volunteer fire and rescue. I love to hunt and fish, and am one of those guys that believe if you need food, no matter if it's season or not, then take the animal and feed your family. I am here to learn, and if I can be of any help, then I will do anything I can. Please contact me with any questions or comments you might have. Thanks for having me.
B.

Offline wolfracer

• Prepper
« Reply #1109 on: October 09, 2009, 08:33:08 PM »
Hello everyone!

I just found this forum thru a link to the podcats, this place looks like it has a lot of info. I am 50 years old , and married. My wife and I have  been preppers since our home was destroyed by tornado in 1991. We live in the flinthills of Kansas, and enjoy hunting ,fishing and camping. My latest hobby might be of interests to some on here, Aquaponics. I have a system that has been in operation for over 6 months and is doing quite well.