Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1962098 times)

sarahluker

Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #1140 on: October 12, 2009, 06:36:57 AM »
Welcome everyone.  Doug, from what area of Texas are you?  We are Houston suburbanites and there are quite a few from our state on the forum.  Alot of people from many states on the forum have great experience and are willing to share.  So I hope you all enjoy the forum.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #1141 on: October 12, 2009, 06:56:20 AM »

We have a BOL but we would rather weather the storm in place and keep our mouths shut so the neighbors don't know what we have. 

Fat_Man: 

Welcome (and welcome to all the other new people).

There's a good thread on this topic called Who Knows About Your Preps http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1257.0

I, too, am on the secretive end of the spectrum on prepping.  But I live in Sheepleville, in Commie County, in the State of Government Worship.

homeshow

« Reply #1142 on: October 12, 2009, 11:37:36 AM »
i moved from trenton, ga. to Sale Creek, tn after my home purchase fell thru due to a failed plumbing inspection that was 3 months after HUD's inspection (word of warning don't trust government home inspection contractors do it yourself or hire someone else)  the wedding is still on  ;D  and i will be gearing up for more soap production soon.  presently staying with my future in-laws.  when we told her parents we were going to have to rent.  paying first, last, security, and pet fees will keep us from having a down payment for the home for at least a year they said "he can stay here until you get your house"  my in-laws are a gift from God!  hope everyone here is well and i'll try to get onto the forum at least once a week.  if you want please pray for our new contract on a different house in Graysville, tn.

thanks and God bless,
homeshow

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #1143 on: October 12, 2009, 11:46:41 AM »
Welcome back!!!

While I have high hopes for your new new home, a failure to close on the other due to inspectors warning you of future problems is a great problem to have! Good for you on getting your own inspection done! Good for your inlaws being fantastic new family. Good for us that you have rejoined our little community.

You have my prayers, and for whatever purpose you would like them - but heck, one house vs another, not such an important thing when you have great family, health, friends, etc!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #1144 on: October 12, 2009, 11:55:14 AM »
Hope your new contract goes through without a hitch.  I know how stressful buying a house can be.  We settled in June, but not before 4 other scheduled settlements.  The last fall though of the settlement, all our stuff was on a moving truck and we had nothing left in the house we were in.  We even had to buy new toothbrushes since EVERYTHING was packed.  Talk about stress.

But things work out for the best in the end.  I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason.  You and I may never discover the reason for things like this, but there is a divine plan.

sarahluker

« Reply #1145 on: October 12, 2009, 12:24:27 PM »
Good luck with the house!  A word of wisdom if you don't mind.  While you live with your future in-laws, go out of your way to help with basic and big chores around the house.  Don't argue around them because she's their little girl for life, buy groceries and treat her mom like a queen and dad like the king of the house.  Do these things with lots of respect and they'll love you for life. 

Goatdog62

« Reply #1146 on: October 12, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »
Homeshow! Welcome back buddy. I was missing you like the dog misses his...well, never mind. But I was missing you!

Welcome to TN. No state income tax! You can go without shoes! We have fainting goats!

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #1147 on: October 12, 2009, 12:49:50 PM »
Welcome back homeshow! You are not alone with the home stress. In a situation similar to Fritz' we closed at the end of April from an accepted offer that was accepted back in December. After waiting for the government to get off their keester FOUR times (January, twice in February then once in March) and dumping about 3K into repairs on the property before it was ours we packed everything and called in all our moving karma and got ready for the move... which they postponed again. Facing the possibility of living in a van (we had already given notice at the old rented place) or having a 2hr commute every morning we moved in anyway and squatted for almost six weeks before the house was finally ours. I would never advise anyone do that, just saying that you are blessed to have such supportive family!

Offline daemonpi

• Prepper
« Reply #1148 on: October 12, 2009, 01:16:09 PM »
Howdy, I'm Durham

I'm new to most everything involved in "Survivalism".  I spent most of my life either overseas or stupid, so not much real accumulated knowledge, though I that is changing.  I heard about the podcast through The Handgun Podcast, gave it a try and got hooked.  I am a college student (Civil Engineering) in the Fargo, ND area.  I am currently trying to convince the wife to become debt free, and how to become debt free.  I have one 3 yr old girl and one on the way.  So it will be an uphill battle the whole way.  Hope to learn a lot, and will probably not say much fro a long time.

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #1149 on: October 12, 2009, 01:28:11 PM »
squatted for almost six weeks

WOW - they sell stuff for that, or you could just increase your fiber intake...

Ok Ok that was horrid, but I couldn't help myself. Someone get me more coffee, I am going both cross eyed and insane staring at account TPS reports all day today!

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #1150 on: October 12, 2009, 01:41:24 PM »
homeshow! Great to have you back! I have missed you too, but of course, not as much as Goatdog has.

Pay attention to what sarahl said. It will pay off big time.

Hope all goes well for you. Set backs can propel us forward, like drawing back on a bow.

When is the big day, by the way?

Offline Lanakia

• Prepper
« Reply #1151 on: October 12, 2009, 03:27:41 PM »
Aloha, Just started with this forum, looking forward to learning and helping. Hope I can find some people in my area. Most of the guys I've seen on forums don't live in the same eco zone and have different backgrounds. Should be fun.

Cwlftmfw

« Reply #1152 on: October 12, 2009, 05:59:57 PM »
Alcon,

New guy from the great panhandle state right above my second favorite state (that's Oklahoma and Texas, in case I lost anyone). Just woke up to the idea that being upset with how our modern world uses and abuses our resources wasn't enough - i need to prepare and learn to sustain for me and my loved ones should some idiot get any big ideas, or should mother earth decide she's had enough. Happy to be here and would love to meet up with some fellow resourceful-bound folks should i get the chance. That's all, carry on.

Ps, to the mod's, creator(s), contributors, and local subject matter experts - i'm extremely thankful to have found this site and want to state upfront that i am thoroughly grateful for all that you provide to us newbies. I'm going to take a look around and hope to be so in love that i join the Member Support Brigade soon. Thanks in advance!

homeshow

« Reply #1153 on: October 12, 2009, 10:03:37 PM »
sarahl has good advice.  but i'm allready doing all that including turning their seperate small manufactured building into a "bungalo' as susan calls it.  i supply the labor and knowledge, brother in law helps and susan and i get a bungalo until the house is ready.  in laws get a small rental to rent out for outages and a great guest cabin.  i have been buying groceries and helping with the chores a little (which is a super lot compared to father in law and brother in law.)  God is awesome!  he gave me this great set of inlaws and a woman who would "live in a tent in someone's back yard. as long as they are not shooting at us."  that is what susan said when the first house fell thru.  the new house is a manufactured 3B 2 bath with sitting and living roooms.  fireplace walk in master closet, garden tub n seperate master shower.  and 7 acres about an hour from down town chattanooga, tn.  it's a great place to make into a self sufficient BOL.  an acre wide and 7 acres long between a cemetary and a full 1/4 goat ranch and hay field.  so many ideas.  so much stress.  and a woman who wants to do all of it with me.  God is awesome! even if this one fails too.

thanks all for the support.  Goat doggie is not scarry he's just creepy.  but in a good way.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #1154 on: October 13, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »
Orion here, 27, blacksmith by night, legal practice by day, and design and process consultant whenever the work gets around to me.

And no, it's not just a moniker, I was named after the constellation.  8)

Long story short, I got into prepping somewhere between beekeeping and blacksmithing when I realized that "all I really need is a 3 axis mill and a welder, and I can build...anything!"

I grew up working on a model T ford with my grandfather, and wound up with a 1939 buick around senior year of high school. I live on the same property I was raised, and my folks are still next door, about 5.5 acres in the middle of suburban Virginia, close enough to the bay to hear the waves from one of three beaches.

I'm not a tinfoil hatter, but I do listen to them since they tend to crystallize around the small things, it makes them a bit easier to notice, which leads me to my biggest prep issue currently: A real pandemic.

Based on my background in biotech, it seems reasonable that the current swine flu, with high incidence and low mortality, provides a priming of the population with genetic material which can later recombine in a myriad of ways with other influenza subtypes, with predictably chaotic results. Further, a high incidence, high morbidity, low mortality infection can provide a significant drag on the workforce, compounding an employment crunch, and causing fluctuations in availability of food and utilities. So, I'm focusing on a fall/winter garden, and planning now for a tilapia based aquaponics system, with the possible inclusion of channel catfish in a separate loop, to be added much later, if at all. This, combined with a non-heat-pump based hydrothermal A/C system and a waste oil system on the home, should provide me with all the food and comfort I need, at minimal cost, and at the same time provide me with entertainment (Catch your own dinner parties anyone?) and increased quality of life, whether the feces hits the ventilateur or not.

Hopefully that schpeil gives you a bit of a look at how my particular chunk of gray matter processes things without getting too detailed for an intro ;-)

Take care, and keep up the good work, thanks to everyone for being part of what seems to be an amazing community!

mich@el

« Reply #1155 on: October 13, 2009, 02:48:53 AM »
Hi,

I posted my hello in the international thread as I live in OZ, check it out here... http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=735.msg109113#msg109113

Offline thechadders

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1156 on: October 13, 2009, 10:15:47 AM »
Just a friendly hello from a new member! 

Name is Chad and I was introduced to this site and the TSP by one of my coworkers and member on this site.

I am 19 and am currently going to school and working part time so i have my hands full right now.

TSP is great and has given me a new perspective on life!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1157 on: October 13, 2009, 12:15:58 PM »
Welcome to all you new folks! We are glad to have you.

allbad

« Reply #1158 on: October 13, 2009, 06:18:23 PM »
Hello from Austin,  Just heard Jack on freedom watch and that brought me to the podcasts.  After listening to 10+ podcasts, this is my new home.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #1159 on: October 13, 2009, 10:06:42 PM »
Welcome to the boards folks.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #1160 on: October 14, 2009, 12:02:59 AM »
Welcome to all the new folks. This is a great place, you will like it here.

The Wilderness

Seppuku

« Reply #1161 on: October 14, 2009, 09:59:24 AM »
Hello Everyone from Atlanta.
I've been listening to Jack since the beginning of the year, but this is my first post.  Trying to get more involved in the community.

Offline conan

• Prepper
« Reply #1162 on: October 14, 2009, 10:31:52 AM »
Hello from Dallas. I started listening a few weeks ago and have been reading the board for a while, but I had a few questions and thought I would get involved.

I am married in my late 20's with 2 kids and am trying to get preped for life while trying to keep my wife from freaking out about stuff. (her dad likes to panic)

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #1163 on: October 14, 2009, 10:35:50 AM »
Awesome to see you back, Man!
We're all still here and still crazy and creepy.  ;D

Offline NoLastStops

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1164 on: October 14, 2009, 12:15:15 PM »
Hello Everyone

I've thought about this kind of thing for a long time, but I am finally starting to do something about it. It's going to be a long process, but I am going to be getting my preperations in order be ready should the worst happen.

I'm a very handy person, good with a lot of tools, a hard worker and intelligent. What I recently realized is, that most of my skills are "Jack of All Trades, Master of One" The one being industrial automation, which may not be all that usefull if TSHTF, at least not in the immeadiate aftermath anyway. Aside from that, I am looking to increase my skills with the everyday skills that may be needed. Welding is near the top of the list.

My wife and I are like minded, so I have a great person to share with and help each other get prepared. I've been a tool junkie for a long time, so I have quite an assortment. I also have some good self/home defence weapons and a decent supply of ammunition.

I'm looking forward to this (not that I am looking forward to or wanting TEOTWAWKI) and hope to meet and make friends with others in my area.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #1165 on: October 15, 2009, 08:09:19 PM »
Hey, don't sweat the industrial automation thing - there's a bazillion things you can do with an arduino or a PIC microcontroller to make life easier. If you can program a chip and you know how to use tools, then you can probbably figure out many real world problems that would leave quite a few people thoroughly stumped.

If you get a chance to check out The Colony, Mike C was an engineer @ IBM iirc, and he came up with just about all the key technology advances that kept the whole group drinking, bathing, and electrified, and eventually driving!

As you move along in your preps you'll find out how many things you already know that can help, and how many things you REALLY need to learn.

Keep the faith,
Orion

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #1166 on: October 15, 2009, 08:32:49 PM »
Welcome all you crazy new folks!  Hope you find what your looking for here!

BP

Offline grog

• Prepper
    • The grog blog on wordpress
« Reply #1167 on: October 16, 2009, 12:32:10 PM »
Hi there, my handle is The Grog from the comic strip BC, short, not too brilliant at times, but gets through things well enough.

I am new here and look forward to learning and sharing what I may know to help others as every one helps every one.

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #1168 on: October 16, 2009, 04:46:12 PM »
Welcome to all of you new folks.  ;D

Offline spatin

• Prepper
  • likes FALs
« Reply #1169 on: October 16, 2009, 11:01:56 PM »
I guess this is where I chime in.  Sidney here.  Let's see, what can I say about myself?  I have always had the mindset of a prepper, but just never did it.  Now at 60 yrs I am thinking about retiring and finding my retreat to be self-sufficient and to have that place I always wanted to have but never did.  I am an attorney (lawyer to some folks) in Colorado Springs, originally from south Louisiana.  I'm as Cajun as they come, but living in the swamp with the bugs and snakes never appealed to me.  Here in the Springs I have learned a lot about prep things, but just haven't made the jump.  I hope to do that in the next year.  We like the idea of being close within an hour or so of the ocean to the east, not interested in the west side at all.  Looking at some stuff in the Carolinas but no decision yet.  I would like to settle in amongst a community of survivalists, if such a thing exists.  Does anyone have any idea of where would be a good place to look for a retreat location with the requisite land for livestock and farming, and among good folk who like the survivalist ideas?
Sidney