Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 2021602 times)

Offline Bogota

• Prepper
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2008, 03:13:29 PM »
Hi guys,
I've been preparing to prepare since the 1980's, but for some reason I've always found a way to be unprepared. I've been listening to Jack's show for several months now.  I've found it to be the most informative show on the web, or the airwaves for that matter. I served in the 101st Airborne during the first Persian Gulf war.  I'm originally from the Texas Panhandle, but now I teach school in Bogota Colombia.  I have a wife and a daughter who's just entering the terrible two's.
I hope that I can bring a little different perspective to your discussions as I have been living in a third world country for the last eight years.  I expect that a lot of what could come to pass in the near future in the USA has already happened here and I have some experience on how to survive these types of situations.  As far as politics go the last time I voted it was for Ross Perot.  I wasn't a big supporter of Perot, but I hate political parties.  I guess you could say I'm an independent. 

Rakkasan

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2008, 03:32:16 PM »
Welcome Bogota,

It will be interesting to know how you prepare in a country like Columbia.  Gun laws etc.

Don't worry about the terrible two's.....  Wait till their three. :o

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
Hi guys,
I've been preparing to prepare since the 1980's, but for some reason I've always found a way to be unprepared. I've been listening to Jack's show for several months now.  I've found it to be the most informative show on the web, or the airwaves for that matter. I served in the 101st Airborne during the first Persian Gulf war.  I'm originally from the Texas Panhandle, but now I teach school in Bogota Colombia.  I have a wife and a daughter who's just entering the terrible two's.
I hope that I can bring a little different perspective to your discussions as I have been living in a third world country for the last eight years.  I expect that a lot of what could come to pass in the near future in the USA has already happened here and I have some experience on how to survive these types of situations.  As far as politics go the last time I voted it was for Ross Perot.  I wasn't a big supporter of Perot, but I hate political parties.  I guess you could say I'm an independent. 

Rakkasan

Welcome Bogota!  I spent 5 years down in Panama and traveled extensively in C/S America and loved everybit of it.  Also Spent some time in Colombia at a Ground Base Radar Site in the middle of now where. 

Welcome!  BP

Offline TeamPrecisionIT

• Prepper
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2008, 05:57:40 PM »
My name is Damian and I am an... wait wrong place. Anyway, I hail out of Virginia Beach and work for the Department of the Navy as a special warfare communications developer.

I am here for information as well as what you would call revolutionary purposes. Funny enough, Jack and myself share many common ideas and he gives insights to things that open the door to research. So in a sense the show is as informative as it is motivational and I think it's great that he does it as a one man operation and on his own time. In the event that he isn't and it's all a terrorist front, I will hunt him down 8) 

Anyway, thank you for the great show and I hope you keep it up for a long time!

Offline Derek

• Prepper
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2008, 08:50:05 PM »
My name is Derek And I have been listening for almost the whole time. I found the site by Stumble and I listened to a few shows and was hooked. Since then I have started getting my life in order and planning for the long term but I am not going all crazy I am looking at my place and how to make it work for me. Next year I will be planting a few raised beds for gardening I have a bow that I had just to tinker around with now I try to shoot every week. I am an ex-Marine but I don't have a gun. Living in Illinois you have to get a FOID card. I am getting one for myself and my wife so we can both have a gun or 2. My wife is a survivalist but doesn't call herself that. So there is my introduction.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2008, 09:19:25 PM »
Hello and welcome TeamPrecisionIT and Derek! Sit down, kick back, and learn and help us learn

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2008, 07:05:17 AM »
Welcome Derek.

An ex-Marine without a gun in Illinois?  Whoa.  That state's gun control laws must be pretty horrible for that to happen.

Offline bigken

• Prepper
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2008, 07:30:06 AM »
New guy here - Been listening for a couple months now, and like what I hear.  I've been gardening for a few years, and organic for many many years.  I'm a 50 year old Harley rider, hot-rodder, gardener, and work in engineering for a trade.
Pisses as hell for years over the confiscatory raping of the working man, whether exec. or blue-collar.  I loathe slum kings and welfare pimps.  DAMN YOU - slugs and leaches.  Don't be liieve the gov. is efficient at ANYTHING.  They do not have one ounce of business sense.
Anyway, glad to be here, and am usually too damn busy to post.......
Thanks - BigKen

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2008, 09:06:04 AM »
I like the way your think BigKen!  Welcome!

Offline Derek

• Prepper
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2008, 01:09:16 PM »
Welcome Derek.

An ex-Marine without a gun in Illinois?  Whoa.  That state's gun control laws must be pretty horrible for that to happen.

Just a big hassle more then anything. First you have to get a firearms ID card which could take months to get. Then you can go out and start buying. Plus I didn't live anywhere that made owning a gun possible. Till just a few years ago I lived in apts. Also I choose to not have one because I can defend myself just fine without one. Lots of Practice at that. And I have other weapons in my house that I can use.

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2008, 07:19:42 PM »
OH, here is the intro thread :o

Howdy folks from Western NC. I live at my homestead and love the farming type environment. I work in the telecom industry. It pays well and helps me to get my stuff in order. I am in my late 30's and have been prepping since the 80's. My wife homeschools and she is on the S&P train as well :)

I really enjoy gardening, beekeeping (really helps the garden produce prolifically), ham radio (extra class),fishing/hunting/camping/hiking/mountain biking, German Shepherds, electrical/electronics,firearms, DIY type stuff, blogging (when I get time) and a million other things I can not remember right now  ;D

I have really enjoyed Jack riding with me to/from/at work and dude... you got the gift of gab  :) I am currently listening to about 80+ episodes on my mp3 player and will hopefully be caught up this weekend. BTW the Systema show was VERY interesting!!!

Well enough rambling for now. Look forward to sharing what little I know and look forward to learning new things on this forum (and show).  73

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #161 on: December 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM »
Howdy all!
New here from Wyoming! The great desert in the Rocky Mountains!
Old ranch boy from South Dakota and starting to look for some homestead land back there. Cant grow to much here in Wyoming with the weather and lack of water. Land with water here is so expensive that the price is outrageous. So looking to go back home. Found this site looking for ideas on food storage and such. Some great freaking pod casts I have found here and already pointed many of my friends here that have the same mindset as us. Love hunting and animals but need to learn more about growing stuff. That is how I found this and why I am sticking around. Also love to know how they did it back when. Like to see how they preserved food before the fridge and freezer. Hope to see ya all around!

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2008, 03:40:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Good luck on finding a homestead in south Dak.  Beautiful state BTW.

Offline haloblue

• Survivor
  • IAM: not amused
« Reply #163 on: December 18, 2008, 12:25:35 PM »
Greetings! New as well. Found the show via a thread on another board. Enjoy it immensely.

Name is Jeremy, currently residing in the northern suburbs of Atlanta.

Been of this mindset for a long, long time.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #164 on: December 18, 2008, 12:31:35 PM »
Welcome haloblue! Sit back and relax and learn and share.

tash

« Reply #165 on: December 18, 2008, 04:48:27 PM »
Hello everyone who's new to our little, and growing, family. We're glad to have you here. Can't wait to learn from you. Welcome! :)

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #166 on: December 19, 2008, 01:02:28 AM »
Howdy y'all, welcome to the boards.

Lots of new folks joining, good to see. ;)

jarhead

« Reply #167 on: December 20, 2008, 01:46:56 AM »
My name is Derek And I have been listening for almost the whole time. I found the site by Stumble and I listened to a few shows and was hooked. Since then I have started getting my life in order and planning for the long term but I am not going all crazy I am looking at my place and how to make it work for me. Next year I will be planting a few raised beds for gardening I have a bow that I had just to tinker around with now I try to shoot every week. I am an ex-Marine but I don't have a gun. Living in Illinois you have to get a FOID card. I am getting one for myself and my wife so we can both have a gun or 2. My wife is a survivalist but doesn't call herself that. So there is my introduction.
Welcome Derek, good to see another jarhead on here.  Remember their are only former Marines, not ex-Marines.  ;)  Great site here and get busy on that permit to own a firearm. 

Joel

« Reply #168 on: December 23, 2008, 07:00:16 PM »
Figured there had to be an intro thread around here somewhere...

Hi, I'm Joel.  I live alone in the desert.  Deeply into prepping.  Actually I live with three spoiled dogs and a couple of cats, and have forged good relations with the few neighbors out here.  Heard a couple of the podcasts, and thought I'd check out the forum.  Looks like you folks have a pretty good little group forming here.  Congratulations!

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #169 on: December 23, 2008, 09:57:56 PM »
Welcome Joel!
I've been reading some of your blog this evening, and I have thoroughly enjoyed.
It's inciteful and very funny in parts.
You've got a gift with words, man.  ;D

Offline Derek

• Prepper
« Reply #170 on: December 26, 2008, 10:42:27 AM »
Welcome Derek, good to see another jarhead on here.  Remember their are only former Marines, not ex-Marines.  ;)  Great site here and get busy on that permit to own a firearm. 

I am I will be sending it out on Monday. I have no real experience hunting so I asked the only person I know has done it and that is my Father-in-law. He said that we would do it once I got the weapons to go out. I also am tracking my progress on a blog it is a great tool to keep motivated and track what I have done and what I have learned.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1704.0

Debo

« Reply #171 on: December 26, 2008, 01:00:10 PM »
Hey guys.  Sorry for the delay, I just noticed the introduction thread.

I am 34, Firefighter/Paramedic in Austin Fire Department.  Right now I am doing some stuff for the military which has me stuck in NC.  My preps have been interrupted by the war on terror but I am trying to get back to it ASAP.  Hopefully I can add something to the discussion.  I sure have learned alot already.

Cheers,
Debo

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #172 on: December 27, 2008, 08:36:58 AM »
Welcome Debo. 

You're lucky to live in Austin, TX.  It has three of the best things on earth: great music, great food, and outrageously beautiful women.

homegrown

« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2008, 12:35:50 PM »
Hi all, I missed this section too! (I was looking for it...) I've been listening to Jack for a few months now, I am particularly interested in what he has to say about self-sufficiency gardening. Lucky me, I live with my husband and son/co-gardener in the Eastern Caribbean which has it's own challenges for certain!

I really look forward to meeting all of you-- and when it comes to gardening I am happy to lend assistance and even happier to learn. Right now I am awaiting the delivery of my Christmas Gift: a tumbling composter, built locally. I cannot wait to get it into my garden...the barrel will be green and the base brown. (You know times have changed-- when you are thinking about what color to paint you composter!)

Cheers!

Homegrown

Greenjeans

« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2009, 06:28:17 PM »
Howdy, I'm Gill, from the Northwest.  Enjoy the varied topics on the podcast.  Been interested in preping since I was a kid, "Bay of Pigs" caught my attention.  Approaching 37 years as a sheep dog, but you can teach an old dog new tricks.  Look forward to chewing the fat with 'uall.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #175 on: January 09, 2009, 06:34:13 PM »
Welcome Greenjeans! Great picture!

Bradley

« Reply #176 on: January 09, 2009, 09:19:46 PM »
Hello everyone;

I'm Brad from Wisconsin i just bought my first home on .53 of an acre and I'm trying to learn about how to be prepared when something does happen. I'm starting to do my own planing for the coming planting season. I'm 27 and a 7 year Army Reservist and a Sergeant in the Wisconsin's department of Corrections. I'm into hunting, fishing, and also really getting into the political side of things(sad as it is). I'm here to learn and help anyone out i can. thanks for having me.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2009, 12:05:10 AM »
Hello Bradley, Welcome!

big dummy

« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2009, 05:51:16 PM »
Hello,

My name's Andrew, and I've been listening a few weeks, thought I'd drop on in the forum and say hi. 

My wife and I live in Columbia, MO where we've just bought a home with plenty of southern exposure and lots of room for raised beds and chickens. 
I grew up on a farm, so gardening and looking after livestock is pretty familiar to me.

My to-do list so far includes:
Preps, water and food.  - I'm starting from zero again, I got rid of my preps after my last cross-country move in 2007. 
Garden -  New house, new garden.
Firearms - I think I finally ought to quit borrowing my dad's deer rifle every year.  A Marlin 1894 would look awful nice next to my model 60. 
Bug out bag refinements - I have one rudimentary BOB, but I think I need three.  An everyday-carry version for myself and the wife, and the "Big Bug Out Bag"  that stays at the house until needed.

-Andrew

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #179 on: January 15, 2009, 02:03:09 PM »
Welcome aboard to all the new people, glad to have you here.