Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 2006362 times)

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #240 on: February 21, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
Welcome Armymom!  You and LT are not the first family here.  There are a number of husbands/wives and some mothers/sons/daughters as well.  So, I think you will fit in just fine. 

As far as prepping in a subdivision style back yard, check these out:

Google Jules Dervaes and watch his YouTube videos

Check out this post - http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=2375.0

Check out this episode - http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/revolution-with-a-garden-trowel

Again, welcome to another family and enjoy!

ArmyMom

« Reply #241 on: February 21, 2009, 09:43:49 PM »
Thank you Firetoad!  And thank you for the links.  :)

Offline longrifle

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #242 on: February 22, 2009, 10:19:34 AM »
Hello All,

I'm not sure how I missed that there was an intro thread. I have been trolloing around the forum for several months now dropping my two cents in every now and then. So, an intro... 33 yrs old, 15 yrs in the army(parachute rigger, forward observer, infantryman). I'm on my 3rd deployment in the sunny middle east. I'm not sure how I found Jack's podcast but have been listening since about Aug. last year. didnt get on the forum until I deployed here in oct. Love the podcast, only bad thing is i cant download it here(internet is too slow), so I have to be content with the forum.

I grew up on a farm in Oklahoma, call Wyoming home now, and will be going back there when I get out. My preps aren't where I'd like them to be, but not much I can do about it right now. Though my mother probably wonders what all those heavy boxes are that the mailman brings to her door and she has to drag into my storage shed ;D

I've learned alot already from the forum and I hope to continue. I hope to contribute more than I have previously. Thanks
longrifle

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #243 on: February 22, 2009, 10:41:05 AM »
Welcome.  Glad you are managing to do some prepping, even while deployed.

As for the podcast, drop me a PM, I can send off a CD with some of them if you like.  As long as Jack doesn't mind.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #244 on: February 23, 2009, 10:12:10 AM »
Welcome LtChris and LtChris's Mom! Read on and learn!

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #245 on: February 25, 2009, 04:55:30 AM »
Well here is my intro.  I'm 28 live in Niles MI, (just north of Notre dame) and I work in Elkhart IN.  I have been married for a little over 3 years and have a 14 month old son. 

I work in the IT field and have for over a decade.  In this area I live with the threat of job loss every day and that’s part of why I’m looking at a community like this.  Combine that with some recent events on the national and local level.  We have had a murder and an armed robbery within walking distance of my house in the past few weeks.  This stuff just didn’t happen before here and I am not to proud to admit it’s got me a little scared.

So I’m here to learn about being prepped from you guys.  And hopefully I’ll be able to contribute back

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2009, 05:40:07 AM »
Well here is my intro.  I'm 28 live in Niles MI, (just north of Notre dame) and I work in Elkhart IN.  I have been married for a little over 3 years and have a 14 month old son. 

I work in the IT field and have for over a decade.  In this area I live with the threat of job loss every day and that’s part of why I’m looking at a community like this.  Combine that with some recent events on the national and local level.  We have had a murder and an armed robbery within walking distance of my house in the past few weeks.  This stuff just didn’t happen before here and I am not to proud to admit it’s got me a little scared.

So I’m here to learn about being prepped from you guys.  And hopefully I’ll be able to contribute back

Welcome aboard.

millerized1

« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2009, 06:04:38 AM »
Yeah, Welcome.  I've been neglecting my "Hey, hi, how ya doin', come on in, welcome, take your shoes off and stay awhile" duties.

So, that said: "Hey, hi, how ya doin', come on in, welcome, take your shoes off and stay awhile"

You've made an important step in your life, congrats on that.  Listen, learn, ask, share, learn more, act.
Welcome to the zoo!

jarhead

« Reply #248 on: February 26, 2009, 01:40:03 AM »

Welcome aboard to a great forum and of course the greatest podcast ever.  A lot of information here to get prepped and become a better modern day survivalist.

SwampMonster

« Reply #249 on: February 27, 2009, 10:26:06 PM »
Welcome all that I have not said welcome too
I'm kinda slow and a man of few words.

Chuck

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
« Reply #250 on: February 28, 2009, 03:25:07 AM »
Oh man... I should have posted here first... I'm a husband and a father of 2 girls...  I live in Los Angeles.  I have always had a thing for not following the masses and always looking to be in a preventive/prepared state for me and my family. 

I stumbles on this site when looking for a blog/podcast on frugal living/surviving Los Angeles.   There is none and that will be a project of mine in the future.  But in looking I found what has become a life changing and very addictive website. ;D ;D ;D

First real big epiphany was when I quickly sold my first property in December of 2005 when DataQuick reported that the notices of default in California rose for the first time in years...   And that's when I made the call to my agent.  I was not going to buy but rent...  But since a has a good job, I purchased again.  And I did the whole fixed for 30 years I can pay my mortgage with my income type bit until....   The black hole in the job market started to get bigger and bigger.  And you can guess where that went...

The next one was when LA mayor Villarigosa was running for office and some of his people out in the streets automatically thought that I was going to vote for him because I/he was Hispanic...   Hell No!  Same thing happened were I used to live...  And that's when it hit me,  we are thought of as stupid idiots!  Human Cattle and the like....  That, according to politicians, I belonged to the "Hispanic Vote" because of the color of my skin!  They forgot one flaw in there public education system...  (Now, not every 3rd grader pics up on this.)  During "Black History Month"  I learned what Martin Luther King meant when he said "NOT BY THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN, BUT THE CONTENT OF THEIR CHARACTER".  And that went hand in hand with the way I was raised. 
And it has been an ongoing war for the minds of America ever since.....

My church/pastor only fuels the way I feel as a survivalist.  Our church has an annual 4 day camping trip.  And one of the reasons it is held, aside from the spiritual benefit, is so that everyone gets a feel for camping and the outdoors.  Because of that some members not only have tents, and the like.  But are also taking up hunting and fishing as well.

So that is a little about what causes a guy that grew up in Watts California to think the way he does.
I love my country and I know of no place else.

Cheers. ;)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #251 on: February 28, 2009, 09:23:23 AM »
...So that is a little about what causes a guy that grew up in Watts California to think the way he does.
I love my country and I know of no place else.

Cheers. ;)

You grew up in Watts?  That's a far more terrifying jungle to live in than any other I can imagine.  Congratulations on surviving it, and overcoming it! :)

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #252 on: February 28, 2009, 10:22:19 AM »
Yes ma'am. 
From the early 80's all the way till 1996...  Had to move (Thank God Almighty!).  At least I was able to experience a diffrent/better high school during my Senior year (Class of 1997  BGHS)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #253 on: February 28, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
Welcome Gas-Mask!
A Katrina sized earthquake? That would hit both of us in Calif. I'm in the Bay Area.

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #254 on: March 01, 2009, 12:43:37 AM »
Bay area huh?  Wait... which bay area?  Near Palos Verdes or Near San Francisco?  I get the mixed up always...   Oh well, you know,  California is "earthquake country".... ;D

Some buddies from SE Texas says they will take on Hurricanes and tornadoes any day over a shaker...

Oh well...  Shake, Rattle n' Roll!

Jackalope

« Reply #255 on: March 01, 2009, 01:07:01 AM »
New guy in Seattle. Moderately prepped, securely employed, 50 years old, I belong to many forums. This one is pretty well developed. I'm sure I can learn a thing or two here. I know a thing or two about guns and bicycles, having worked in retail for both industries. Glad to help if you have a question.

Jack

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #256 on: March 01, 2009, 07:09:38 AM »

New guy in Seattle.

Jack:

Great to have you.  We need some backup here in this state run by total goofballs.

Be sure and check out the Washington state thread:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=658.0

and the general Region 8 topics with lots of good threads:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=46.0

We're a friendly bunch.  We are the modern survivalists from all walks of life and all colors, religions, political backgrounds, genders, etc.  We are the "survivalist next door"--the totally normal person on your street who you had no idea was prepped. 

Maitreya

« Reply #257 on: March 01, 2009, 10:21:06 AM »
Hi, new guy in Honolulu, 39, I work for a small art restoration firm cleverly concealed in the vertical residential ghetto of St. Louis Heights.  I have a background in theoretical artificial intelligence, corporate software, cabinetmaking and sales of Chinese,  Japanese, and Southeast Asian art.   I killed my knees with 20 years of Ashihara, TKD and GJJ, so my bugout bag is now a limparoundathome bag.  Someone on lifeaftertheoilcrash spoke of this forum highly, and you had me at the bugout bag contents photos.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #258 on: March 01, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
Welcome to the forum Maitreya. I am glad you have found an interest here.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #259 on: March 01, 2009, 08:54:51 PM »
Bay area huh?  Wait... which bay area?  Near Palos Verdes or Near San Francisco?  I get the mixed up always...   Oh well, you know,  California is "earthquake country".... ;D

Some buddies from SE Texas says they will take on Hurricanes and tornadoes any day over a shaker...

Oh well...  Shake, Rattle n' Roll!
San Jose, so SF Bay Area.

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #260 on: March 01, 2009, 10:03:08 PM »
My name is Bill Dudek, upstate NY, [not, I repeat, NOT from New York City]. Plenty of mountains and lakes up here, wish I was on one, but I'm stuck in suburbania. 59 years old, married 20 years (this time); 3 teenage girls. Pharmacist by trade, been behind a prescription counter since I was 16. Currently at the VA, delivering healthcare to Amreica's finest. I do, however, have no problem with taking down Big Pharma, seeing as how prescription drugs and the ignorant people who prescribe them were contributory, and to a large extent, causatory in the deaths of my mother and my first wife. The last 15 years or so have been devoted to the study of the natural stuff and nutrition.

Got involved in prepping via the financial aspect of it; started socking away silver and gold a year and a half ago. I came across the podcast while searching itunes, and have previously subscribed to Big John Lipscomb - www.donttreadonme.tv  I really like his stuff, but, he is kind of out there fullbore with the homesteading thing, which represents a bit too big of a jump, even for the average survivalist (whoever that might be!) So, I think I'm kind of in the same groove as HeavyG in many respects, from what I've read of his intro.

Focus right now:
1. weapons (recently grabbed a 10/22, with a Saiga-12, AK, and probably a 308 bolt action soon to follow, unless the freaks in the District of Criminals, or in Albany have their way!!!) I'll worry about handguns later, but probably will go with a nice little 38, and then a bigger cannon 45 or a 9
2. starting some seed; haven't gardened much in years, but it's in my blood [my grandfather came over from Poland and started a dairy farm in 1929, depression or no!]
3. food storage
4. sharing this message with other folks--there are actually a number of guys ready to do "something" in my church [yup, I'm one of those Christians; and I won't be apologizing for it, either].

This podcast, I believe, is THE one that can help most people in most ways, since it is so practical and covers so many things. I can very easily direct someone to the ABC thread, or the XYZ show.

suggested topics- [I know there is a better place to post them, but will leave that to those who are in the know on this posting stuff]

Hey-I'd love to learn more about aquaculture; getting the fish and plants to help feed each other-sounds brilliant. But, how do I do it up here in the cold?

Also, one I'd like to see is "What will you do on the other side?" In other words, the collapse, small, large or catastrophic, has come. Many if not most jobs may not even exist. How will you begin again, with some sort of business? For example, in my area, I may end up developing some sort of business in the natural healthcare field; herbals, medicinal plants, vitamins, alternative therapies. What can YOU do that people will need? Welding? carpentry?

OK, that's enough already. Glad to be part of all this and hooked up with all you. And, Jack-keep talking!!

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #261 on: March 01, 2009, 11:29:28 PM »
Welcome dudekrtr seems like you will fit right in.

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #262 on: March 02, 2009, 12:22:48 AM »
Welcome dudekrtr...  I think that your knowledge will come in handy...  Especially for people that buy their medicine south/north of the border. ;)   Or not....

Now at least for stuff that out there that not even you might take? ???
Welcome.

Michael Masse

« Reply #263 on: March 02, 2009, 10:34:02 AM »
dudekrtr

welcome on board from over here in the Puget Sound area.  Great to have another brother.

Offline canyonvr

• Prepper
« Reply #264 on: March 02, 2009, 11:20:02 AM »
Hi all! 

I'm Chas and I'm a dentist living in Forty Fort, PA.  40, Married, 1 boy (2yrs).

I have always been interested in survivalism for as long as I can remember.  But I REALLY started preparing and looking seriously about 2 years ago when my wife got pregnant and realized I was going to be a parent.

I don't have any hand guns (and haven't shot a rifle since boy scouts!) but am ready to jump in if/when the new president starts any new hand gun restrictions.  I really want an AR15 and am currently learning more about them.  My wife and I do have C2 Tasers w/ laser sights (her's is pink).

I found this site looking for podcasts for a road trip I took a while back.  Google is my friend!

My wife (and a lot of my friends) think I'm nuts but they tolerate me and my ideas.

I am not fond of the outdoors.  Can't stand camping.  Would rather stay in a decent hotel on vacation than in a tent.  Love the internet and my computer. 

But I do understand the need for the knowledge in case the time comes.

Just looking to learn and converse with like minded individuals!!!

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
  • Click the website icon to view my survial summary
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #265 on: March 02, 2009, 11:26:27 AM »
Welcome Chas,

I have a question about dentists. Do patients need to lookout for dentists like we lookout for car mechanics? Until recently, I have felt my mechanics have loaded up the bill with items that really don't need to be fixed. Have you noticed in your fields that dentist say "that needs a filling or it will become a problem" and not been altogether truthful?

gigaJack

MightyRunt

« Reply #266 on: March 02, 2009, 11:41:34 AM »
Good looking site here! I'm a 58 year old woman and long time prepper. My husband and I built our retreat in the central Colorado mountains and have been living off grid  and off road for 12 years now. We had livestock for 7 years(until the fun ran out) and learned a ton about self-sufficiency. This year's learning adventure is figuring out how to garden in decomposed granite. Don't think the 8x15 greenhouse will suffice.  I belong to several survival/freedom/preparedness forums and just can't seem to get enough. Lots of reading to do here. Thanks.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #267 on: March 02, 2009, 11:42:41 AM »
Welcome all.

We now have a doctor a dentist and pharmacist.  Sounds like the beginning of a joke.

Offline canyonvr

• Prepper
« Reply #268 on: March 02, 2009, 01:42:56 PM »
Welcome Chas,

I have a question about dentists. Do patients need to lookout for dentists like we lookout for car mechanics? Until recently, I have felt my mechanics have loaded up the bill with items that really don't need to be fixed. Have you noticed in your fields that dentist say "that needs a filling or it will become a problem" and not been altogether truthful?

gigaJack

I'd love to tell you that you don't have to worry about any dentist...I'd like to think that everyone in my profession is above board.  But just like with your mechanic you have to trust who you are going to.

Dentistry is not an exact science and even if you went to two different truthful and ethical dentists you may get very different treatment plans based on their own professional philosophy.  For example, some dentists will want to aggressively treat all decay.  Some will see small decay and just recommend to watch it (and wait to do anything until it gets bigger).  As an example, I had a patient that was just out of college and starting s new career.  Like most people that age she hadn't been to a dentist in a while.  If you looked at her teeth visually you would think there were no problems.  But on the radiographs (xrays) there were a lot of cavities.  I told her about ALL the cavities but prioritized what should be done asap and what we could hold off on for the moment.  There was still going to be a hefty bill.  Her father got all pissed at me and made her go to another dentist.  He told her about the same cavities but insisted they all be done asap...pushing the bill way above mine.  She came back to me.  We did the bigger cavities.  The next year she got insurance and we took care of the rest.

I use some of the more modern diagnostic tools to detect dental disease including digital radiographs, inter-oral camera and lasers.  I like to explain where any work needs to be done and show as much "evidence" as I can. 

Trust is the key though.  It is VERY easy for me to tell a patient what he needs done when he is in pain.  They KNOW something needs to be done.  It is much more difficult for me to tell a patient that thinks he is healthy that he has a crapload of work that needs to be done and it's going to cost a ton of money.  Most dental disease is painless.

Again it all comes down to trust.  Go to someone that has a good reputation.  Ask someone from your community that you already trust who to go to.  Word of mouth is the best way to find a quality dentist.  (and yet I still advertise in the radio, TV, phonebook and newspapers!!!!)

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
  • Click the website icon to view my survial summary
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #269 on: March 02, 2009, 02:12:53 PM »
Thanks Chas...

gigaJack