Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 2196086 times)

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #4530 on: October 09, 2011, 10:43:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum Jerry  or as you like to be called Jay.  There is a wonderful amount of information on growing and even a nice video clip on the emberlit stove on their website.   I managed to buy one of their fine ultra light stoves to augment when I need to use both fuel pellets and twigs and such. 

Emergency Essentials is one of the companies that supports Jack's business / hobby / calling.  I have ordered a thing or two from them and always been happy.    Honest reviews of companies, products, are always welcome.  I know there are a few video's from Jack that talks about is bag garden which can show you how much can be done in a small space.

If you get a chance drop on to the "local" area of the fourm and say "ya hi ya all" in the http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=115.0 
You might find some useful growing tips for your neck of the woods. 

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
« Reply #4531 on: October 09, 2011, 11:26:54 AM »
Hi, I'm Mat, long time listener, first time poster.  I am 25, and still in college, but that's a long story.  I am a long time prepper and working on my life plan.  Sounds cheesy but it seems to be working.

Offline aaronsgwc

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4532 on: October 09, 2011, 06:15:46 PM »
My name is Aaron, I'm from the Texas Panhandle. I'm pretty new to prepping myself, but it's not a new concept to me. I was raised with the idea that I should be prepared 'just in case', but never had a really great example of how to do that in a general sense. 

I've been listening to the podcast for about three months now and absolutely love it. I look forward to getting into all this a bit deeper.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #4533 on: October 09, 2011, 08:20:34 PM »
My name is Aaron, I'm from the Texas Panhandle...
Welcome aboard Aaron. I was born it that area myself. Lots to learn hear and I figure you have some to contribute. Glad to have you.

Offline JasonTN

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4534 on: October 09, 2011, 09:46:14 PM »
Hi! I'm Jason, from West TN, I'm married with 4 kids (three girls, and one boy).  I have been in law enforcement for over twelve years, recently left that career and returned to Driving a Flatbed Semi-Truck.  I have logged over 2400 plus hours of training, and was a Specialized Law Enforcement Instructor in Firearms, Defensive Driving, Patrol Tactics, Taser, and Defensive Tactics.  I will miss the law enforcement career but because of health and over personal reasons, I had to leave the profession.

Offline Johnnyrocco

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4535 on: October 10, 2011, 03:07:41 AM »
Hello friendly prepper folk with a desire to survive!

My name is John and I'm fairly new to the prepper mentality, [probably within the last year].
I'm 33 and feel I have come to survivalism way late in life but not too late, thankfully. I've loaded ships and operated machinery for 16 years on Vancouver B.C.'s beautiful waterfront. I grew up in the city and am now trying to acquire outdoor skills I should have gotten as a teenager when I was off being a citiot instead.

My hobbies center around wheels and engines. I love driving and fixing my tools, (if I call my toys tools I can justify having different ones for different jobs)! Watercooled VWs, 4x4 Toyotas, and motorcycles are my tools of choice.

I downloaded a couple of Jacks podcasts a while back and never did get a chance to listen to them until this week when I caught up on a couple other podcasts I regularly listen to. Listened to one last week for the first time and have been hooked since then. I've got a daunting task in front of me to go through a bulk of the over 700 podcasts i want to catch up on!

Just wanted to say thanks Jack and all the mods and members who make this forum possible. You guys have created a very positive environment here that I'm very glad to have discovered. Will be joining the brigade soon!

Thanks,
John

Offline Johnnyrocco

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4536 on: October 10, 2011, 03:59:56 AM »
The Members Support Brigade has a new proud member!

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4537 on: October 10, 2011, 05:18:23 AM »
The Members Support Brigade has a new proud member!

Thanks for supporting the show, Johnny! Make sure you check out all the deals, benefits and discounts you get with that membership. There's a lot of good stuff in there.

Welcome to Johnny and JasonTN as well!

Offline Johnnyrocco

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4538 on: October 10, 2011, 02:40:13 PM »
Thanks for supporting the show, Johnny! Make sure you check out all the deals, benefits and discounts you get with that membership. There's a lot of good stuff in there.

Welcome to Johnny and JasonTN as well!

Thanks for the welcome, Truik!
I have had a good look over all the benefits we get as MSB members and am very impressed! Well worth the $0.20 an episode!
I'll mostly be taking advantage of the podcast archive for now and will eventually listen to every episode.

Offline jaericks

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4539 on: October 10, 2011, 08:02:24 PM »
Hi,

My name is Jason. My wife and I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  I love the show and I have been listening since November but have been really focused  on what I need to do to keep my family safe and prepared in these uncertain times in the last few months.  I am new to prepping and have along ways to go. The wealth of information from Jacks podcasts and the forum is unbelievable. I work on the networking side of technology and my wife is a nurse. I am waiting for my CPL and looking into building a green house and root cellar next summer. Planning for the summer time makes the UP winters manageable. I am starting to see how my mindset has changed over the time I have been listening to  The Survival Podcast. I have along way to go but it is a good feeling to see how far we have come in a short while. I am excited to be part of the community.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4540 on: October 11, 2011, 06:05:41 PM »
Hi,

My name is Jason. My wife and I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  I love the show and I have been listening since November but have been really focused  on what I need to do to keep my family safe and prepared in these uncertain times in the last few months.  I am new to prepping and have along ways to go. The wealth of information from Jacks podcasts and the forum is unbelievable. I work on the networking side of technology and my wife is a nurse. I am waiting for my CPL and looking into building a green house and root cellar next summer. Planning for the summer time makes the UP winters manageable. I am starting to see how my mindset has changed over the time I have been listening to  The Survival Podcast. I have along way to go but it is a good feeling to see how far we have come in a short while. I am excited to be part of the community.

Welcome to the group Jason - that is some wonderful area you are from.  It can be a bit cold during the winter - but with the right setup not too bad. 

Your right both the pod casts and forum do contain some wonder info.  Like all things - a few steps here, a few steps there and next thing you know you will be miles down the road.

Offline CurrentWave

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4541 on: October 11, 2011, 09:51:20 PM »
Hello,

I'm in Oregon and new to prepping (for prepping sake).  Single Mom ? with special needs son.

I am Admin at permies.com, work from home running a media server and doing other assorted web work.  I've been into permaculture and sustainability since 1995, before green was hip.  So in that regard I've been prepping for awhile.

I'm debit free :-) and looking for land.  With what is going on in the US I started looking for financial survival info to go along with my permaculture knowledge base and ran across the podcast.  Great stuff.

I'd like to find information on people getting together to form small IC's, go in on land together, or just to choose their neighbors.

Looking forward to learning new tricks.

Offline SaneSurvival

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4542 on: October 12, 2011, 09:41:53 AM »
Hey everyone! My husband and I live in Kentucky. We've been full blown preppers for about a year and a half now. I just started listening to your Podcast and I love it. There is just so much great information there (and here on the forum). Thanks for having me here!

Offline Johnnyrocco

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4543 on: October 12, 2011, 03:06:49 PM »
As I've been welcomed, shall I welcome.
Welcome to TSP Jaericks, CurrentWave, and SaneSurvival!  8)

Offline SaneSurvival

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4544 on: October 12, 2011, 06:58:02 PM »
Thanks, Johnnyrocco. Welcome to you too  ;)

Offline LEFTYMOM65

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4545 on: October 12, 2011, 11:58:02 PM »
Okay, hi everyone.

Handle: LEFTYMOM65 aka:"Teara"

I'm a stay-at-home mom with 3 kids aged 14, 4, 2.5.   They are the main reason I have started going in the prepping direction.  Actively agnostic and generally vote Democrat, unless the other candidate makes more sense.   I began this "awakening" about 2 years ago starting with gardening, learning to sew and exploring alternative energy sources.  My husband thinks I'm crazy.  Especially when I came home with 50 lbs of hard red wheat.   8)

I've recently quit watching mainstream news all together.  They are completely useless sell-outs.  Discovered podcast news and blogs.  There is so much the general population has no clue is going on in the world!  It really pisses me off.  >:(

Am I the first card carrying liberal participating in this site?  I hope you won't hold it against me.  You might be surprised.  We aren't as dumb as advertised.  ;D  I believe in The Constitution and the Bill Of Rights, as written.  I'd join the Oath Keepers, if I was a veteran.  It is frankly horrifying what has happened to our civil liberties in the past decade or so.  It's been under our noses and nobody has been paying attention.  No one wants to believe it's as bad as it really is.  I see it now.  It gives me panic attacks.  I don't know if there is time enough for us to prepare.

Anyway, I am so glad to have found Jack's podcast.  I've learned so much.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:05:16 AM by LEFTYMOM65 »

Offline ladygaura

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4546 on: October 13, 2011, 08:36:53 AM »
Welcome, Leftymom!

I don't know if you're the first Dem to join this list but you are decidedly in a minority. However, since you're not actively in the Democratic Party or running candidates against my Libertarians, I won't hold it against you :-) (And, as a Libertarian, we absolutely agree on some issues, like the horrific erosion of civil liberties! I just probably have a fairly different worldview of taxes, spending, and economics than you)

And, politics aside, it's great that you're prepping. I'm a mom too, so I know how that feels. Besides, even Michelle Obama would probably agree with us that a good organic garden is a pretty darned good teaching tool for those kiddos of yours. I always smile to myself that Jamie Oliver would have a lot of fun with my son, who has been helping me in the garden since he could toddle in there (he's 8 now). He knows exactly where a tomato comes from (Hey, I'm developing my own variety, so we get super-excited about their progress!) and he's even been to a working veggie farm (a CSA) and helped their son pick cucumbers. I hope your kids become equally adept at the Art of the Soil!

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4547 on: October 13, 2011, 09:53:44 AM »
Okay, hi everyone.

Handle: LEFTYMOM65 aka:"Teara"

I'm a stay-at-home mom with 3 kids aged 14, 4, 2.5.   They are the main reason I have started going in the prepping direction.  Actively agnostic and generally vote Democrat, unless the other candidate makes more sense.   I began this "awakening" about 2 years ago starting with gardening, learning to sew and exploring alternative energy sources.  My husband thinks I'm crazy.  Especially when I came home with 50 lbs of hard red wheat.   8)

I've recently quit watching mainstream news all together.  They are completely useless sell-outs.  Discovered podcast news and blogs.  There is so much the general population has no clue is going on in the world!  It really pisses me off.  >:(

Am I the first card carrying liberal participating in this site?  I hope you won't hold it against me.  You might be surprised.  We aren't as dumb as advertised.  ;D  I believe in The Constitution and the Bill Of Rights, as written.  I'd join the Oath Keepers, if I was a veteran.  It is frankly horrifying what has happened to our civil liberties in the past decade or so.  It's been under our noses and nobody has been paying attention.  No one wants to believe it's as bad as it really is.  I see it now.  It gives me panic attacks.  I don't know if there is time enough for us to prepare.

Anyway, I am so glad to have found Jack's podcast.  I've learned so much.

Welcome aboard! :)
I think you will find that as long as you come with an open mind (occasionally people have a hard time doing it... me included) we all bleed the same color and we are better off working together then against each other.  For the most part the mods try to keep politics in the political threads... Prepping is not only for the gun totting rednecks (I R one)  it is also not only for those who believe that we should get rid of all technology and live barefooted in the forest.  It is for everyone who cares to be ready for whatever will come tomorrow.

Offline IowaPrepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4548 on: October 13, 2011, 02:23:09 PM »
Hey All. Iowa Prepper here, Craig is my first name. Live in SE Iowa. Met Jack at the Denver Expo (Sept-2011). The wife and I are serious preppers/survivalists. I am self employed as a legal consultant (research and writing) and also do some custom crafting on the side. Looking to network with others in the tri-sate area of Iowa-Illinois-Missouri.

IP-

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #4549 on: October 13, 2011, 02:59:34 PM »
Welcome fellow Iowan Prepper (And all the others).   Glad to have you aboard.  Check out the Region 6  Not a lot of activity, but the more the better.

Doc

Offline BillyS

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
    • Scarydad
« Reply #4550 on: October 14, 2011, 10:30:35 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm Billy, 36, from Houston. I'm married and have a baby daughter.  A friend referred me to TSP and I've been hooked.  I've always been something of a prepper, though a lot of that came from Boy Scouts and a love of the outdoors.  Also, in the last 10 years my city has flooded several times and I am no stranger to shortages, outages, and government failure even in the short-term. I love the common-sense approach, as I'm just a suburban dad who wants to find the best and most effective ways for weathering the storm with my girls...

I look forward to some lively discussions!

Offline arrowbreaker

• Survivor
  • MSB & TSP Forum member
« Reply #4551 on: October 15, 2011, 05:35:26 AM »
Hi everyone,  I'm Ryan - been listening (and hooked!) for about 3 months know to Jack's podcast - married with a daughter in Western Australia, looking forward to learning and sharing with you all! :D

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #4552 on: October 15, 2011, 08:43:57 AM »
Welcome aboard new forum members!

Offline Spencer

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Preppin' in Tomball, TX!
« Reply #4553 on: October 16, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »
Hey there!

Name is Joe Spencer, and I live in Tomball, TX.  US Navy veteran (submariner), and my wife Elizabeth and I are both getting into prepping a bit more than we used to....lets just say we 'dabbled' before ;)

Avid shooter, duck hunter, tactical Airsoft player, and now amateur hugelkultur gardener, canner, and prepper!

Anyone in the NW Harris County region interested in getting together and doing some co-op gardening, or perhaps pooling people together to try and get a group discount on getting our Concealed Carry Licenses or having Frank Sharpe's guys at Fortress Defense set up a class in the future, let me know :)  ((or, if there's already a group out here working together, let me know! hehe))

Anyway, excited to be a part of the community.  Signed up for the MSB last week, and glad I did!

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #4554 on: October 16, 2011, 02:26:17 PM »
Welcome all of you new members.

Dig in and enjoy the forum, it is OK to be a lurker, but you will get a lot more from active participation. Dig in and ask questions or give us the benefit of your knowledge. We all benefit that way.

If you have a problem or question feel free to PM any Mod/Admin.

TW

Offline Trig1213

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4555 on: October 16, 2011, 09:55:43 PM »
My wife told me I should post in here, I have been lurking for a while. If anyone needs to give me orders message shannonb, she's in charge....

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
« Reply #4556 on: October 16, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
My wife told me I should post in here, I have been lurking for a while. If anyone needs to give me orders message shannonb, she's in charge....
NERD!

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4557 on: October 17, 2011, 04:02:16 AM »
NERD!

(ShannonB, please relay to Trig1213 that we said "Welcome to the TSP forums!")

:rofl:

Offline WVMan73

• Senior Survivalist
  • Montani Semper Liberi
« Reply #4558 on: October 17, 2011, 09:15:22 AM »

Offline BillyG60

• Prepper
    • Central Florida Video Surf Report
« Reply #4559 on: October 17, 2011, 12:51:48 PM »
Been lurking for a while on the forum,and thought I would finally say “hello”. A little background about me.

42,unmarried,no kids,no debt. I am a professional chef (ACF  certified as Sous Chef) by trade with 25 years in various Restaurants,clubs and catering. Hobbies are just about anything outdoors and especially involving water.Surf,fish ,Kayak, camping, Mountain Bikes (Although FLA is Flat!!)

Chef site is at https://sites.google.com/site/chefbillyinc/

Was a boyscout,so that is where the preparedness comes from. Can’t remember when I started listening,but found this site from The MarketTicker site (which I found in Jan of 2008 after looking for info on the market crash just after Christmas of 2007)

Have lived in the SE all my life. Born and raised in St Simons Island Georgia,did a stint in Atlanta for 4 years,and now reside in East Central Florida.Having surfed from the age of 13(yes Ga does get some surf--but Florida is Better!!) hurricanes became a fascination for me(because of the ability to produce waves) Knowing the destructive power of these storms, being prepared for them was just something that came naturally.Some of the more memorable storms I have been through.

David in 79(was 10 and the storm passed about 125 miles east  the day we were going to bury my grandmother)

Hugo in 89.was living on the beach at the time.watched the plate glass windows flex and bow because of the wind and pressure--but they never broke.winds about 125 mph in gust I think.Ga has extreme tides anyway,but that day I woke and the high tide was about 5 ft higher than normal---after the center passed and wind switched-the water receded and it was about a -10 ft low tide. All of this in about a 10-12 hour period.

Floyd in 99 (anyone else see the 10 year repetition??) This one I actually evaced for. Myself and surf buddies went from St Simons to Tampa,then Cocoa Beach(to surf the south side of the passing storm.Winds switch and clean up the surf after in passes north of the area on the east coast) My Family went from St Simons to Macon Ga. They were lucky as we had friends they could stay with. I know others who got stuck camping in the median of I-16 when it was gridlocked in both directions.(only time I think I can remember west bound traffic being closed,and used for eastbound evac). Cell service was almost non existence for 3 days.
It was a mandatory evac for all of the SE Ga coast for this one,thus the gridlock on I-16.
From this one storm ,it became very clear to me to have alternate routs out of dodge!!!---and to make the decision early if you are going to leave.

Andrew in 2002. even 400 miles away, the surf from that storm in North Fla was pretty big, and the wind was about 40+ mph for 3 days.

The Central Florida Hurricanes of 2004 --Charley,Frances, Ivan,and Jeanne.
I was living in Atlanta at this time, but had already decided to move to Indialantic at the Beginning of 2005.
I watched in horror as the place i was about to move(after visiting for several years to surf) was being ripped apart. Some of my current coworkers tell me stories of 3 weeks without power. Florida is pretty hot in Mid September and muggy as all get out to boot. Many slept outdoors in tents and hammocks because it was just too hot indoors. I came down in Jan of 2005, and some of the roofs still had blue tarps on them at this time.Get on google earth and use the timeline feature and look at the area in Feb of 2005.
Tropical storm Fay 2008. This damn storm stayed Idle over Melbourne for 72 hours, dumping 20+ inches of rain.My Condo parking lot was knee deep, as the storm drains were blocked up,along with higher than normal tides.Sewer systems shut down and boil water notices for 3 days. Water was literally about 2 inches from coming into my first floor condo.

Any way, we just went through 72 hours+ of 40+ mph winds from a “non-tropical) system 2 weekends ago.Power was out Sunday night at work for the entire evening(not so good in a restaurant!!) but stayed on here at home.

Looks like another system is winding up as I type this,but hey--I’m prepped!!

Now surfing has taken me to a lot of out of the way places. Been to Costa Rica 7 times now(first time was in July of 1999) Barbados,Puerto Rico and Hawaii all twice. One thing I have learned in my surf travels is that nothing is going to go as planed, so you have to be able to adapt. Other than Barbados,blending in and being the”grey man” was not an option for a white male.Your awareness level has to be elevated at all times.(well Hawaii was pretty safe) Those first few years in Costa Rica theft was rampant,so much so that the rental car companies advised surfers (who would visit secluded,out of the way beaches with almost no civilization around in the early 90’s---it is pretty much Americanized now) not to roll  up windows or lock doors.This was because thieves would break the windows or locks looking for valuables.You took nothing to the beach but board shorts and your board, because even the towels would get stolen!!

So that is about it form my longish intro. Plans for the future include possibly moving to Hawaii (Honolulu-- as I would be working in Waikiki for obvious opportunity in food service industry---unless I can win lotto some how!!)
Also Just started a Video Surf report/blog linked to Google adsense to make some spare coin on the side. I check the surf everyday by bike(2 blocks from the beach) so why not try to make some money?
Watching my trading account closely and I do mean closely. Roth Ira is pretty much safe and beating the market return YTD.

Would be renting if the move was made,Hawaii is expensive to buy(compared to my area now) but i like being flexible and able to move on short notice.if I needed to or had an opportunity arise--(current situation)

Thanks for reading!! Check out my sites, especially if you like food!!