Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1957585 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #270 on: March 02, 2009, 02:40:41 PM »
Welcome MightyRunt! Read on, learn, and help us learn from your experiences!

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #271 on: March 02, 2009, 04:28:02 PM »
Welcome to all the new folks.

Welcome all.

We now have a doctor a dentist and pharmacist.  Sounds like the beginning of a joke.

Don't forget about Lawyerman!  ;D

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
« Reply #272 on: March 02, 2009, 11:22:55 PM »
doctor, dentist, and a pharmacist?  No joke...  creepy rather... Sounds like "Lights Out" is coming alive... Can someone say "twilight zone"?.... :o

AKS

« Reply #273 on: March 03, 2009, 10:38:35 AM »
Hello all,
Name is Dave.  Live in CA with my wife and 2 kids.  Came to "surviavalism" through the Boy Scouts- Eagle Scout- and living on a farm.  For most who grew up in a rural environment, survival is more like everyday life, so that's how I move forward.  Right now we are in the semi-suburbs, but have enough land for some yard birds and a nice garden.  After high school spent a while in the US Army as 11B.  Since then I have been building my stocks and trying to stay ahead of the curve.  Here in CA earthquakes have been the main reason for being prepped, but now with the economy coming down around us, there is a new found excitement in the area of survivalism.  That's probably why buying ammo is so difficult these days.... ;)
Just recently found Jack's podcasts, and have enjoyed his take on things. Glad to be here and looking forward to shariung and learning what I can.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #274 on: March 04, 2009, 12:11:24 AM »
Welcome AKS.

Hadn't heard the term yard birds in a while.  Thought it was a southern thing.

AKS

« Reply #275 on: March 04, 2009, 10:40:16 AM »
Welcome AKS.

Hadn't heard the term yard birds in a while.  Thought it was a southern thing.
Thanks! Glad to be here.  Always looking for more info.
Not sure about that.  We always knew them as yard birds, and I'm 5th generation CA?
And I'll be nice and not make any 19 series jokes ;)

fnord

« Reply #276 on: March 04, 2009, 10:32:46 PM »
Thought I'd drop in and say hello.  I've been listening for the past week or so, but I'm quickly making my way through the first podcasts.  I really like the fact that the advice offered is grounded in reality, and is practical. 

32 year old single male; software developer.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #277 on: March 04, 2009, 10:55:16 PM »
Welcome everybody.

emarellano

« Reply #278 on: March 05, 2009, 09:34:35 AM »
Good Morning, Afternoon and Evening,

My name is Evan and I have been listening to the Survival Podcast for a month or two now. I am just here to introduce myself and start going through the forum. I am not your typical survivalist and would like to learn more. Anyways just stopping by to say "Hi".

Evan

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #279 on: March 05, 2009, 09:57:28 AM »
Welcome Evan. Sit down, read and learn.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #280 on: March 05, 2009, 03:36:06 PM »

I am not your typical survivalist and would like to learn more. Anyways just stopping by to say "Hi".

Typical Survivalist?  Broad brush brother..........

Berserker Prime

emarellano

« Reply #281 on: March 05, 2009, 04:13:05 PM »
I am not sure what I meant by "Typical Survivalist".

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #282 on: March 06, 2009, 06:29:39 AM »
Don't worry,  I don't think there is a "typical" survivalist.

Welcome to the forum.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #283 on: March 06, 2009, 08:56:38 AM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #284 on: March 06, 2009, 07:59:33 PM »
I am not sure what I meant by "Typical Survivalist".

Welcome!  There are all types in this forum with the most common thread of prepping for just about any eventuality.  You will find it all here even if you haven't thought of it yet! :)

Berserker Prime

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #285 on: March 07, 2009, 02:18:25 PM »
Welcome to the forums emarellano. You will meet as varied of people here as anywhere, which really speaks for the nation as a whole, and are anything but typical! :) Hope you enjoy your time here!

Offline LGM30

• Senior Survivalist
  • The cold war didn't just end. It was won.
« Reply #286 on: March 12, 2009, 03:51:50 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm Jonathan from Michigan.  I've been listening since about episode 25.  Checked out the forums in beta, but never bothered with them too much.  I'm impressed with how they've grown.  Lots of content and camaraderie.  I'm an electrical engineer by day, and math tutor, doll fixer, skinned knee medic by night.  I spent 4 years in North Dakota baby sitting Minuteman III silos.  So remember "The cold war didn't just end, it was won."
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 03:55:16 PM by LGM30 »

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #287 on: March 12, 2009, 09:08:17 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm Jonathan from Michigan.  I've been listening since about episode 25.  Checked out the forums in beta, but never bothered with them too much.  I'm impressed with how they've grown.  Lots of content and camaraderie.  I'm an electrical engineer by day, and math tutor, doll fixer, skinned knee medic by night.  I spent 4 years in North Dakota baby sitting Minuteman III silos.  So remember "The cold war didn't just end, it was won."

Me too.  742 MS Lima/Nov/Kilo........

Offline LGM30

• Senior Survivalist
  • The cold war didn't just end. It was won.
« Reply #288 on: March 13, 2009, 08:47:52 AM »
742 was out of Minot right?  I was in FMT/TTB in the 321 FMMS at Grand Forks.  Good to hear from another Missileer!

Dirttime Dude

« Reply #289 on: March 15, 2009, 07:54:23 PM »
 Hello to all... I am Dirttime Dude... Dude McLean , I live in SoCa... I am a former U.S Marine, All my kids are grown up and gone. I have grand kids.
 I am a writer for Wilderness Way magazine where Im a field editor and photog as well.
 I have studied , participated in and lived survival for over 50 years. My kids were raised to be self reliant. And they are.
 I learned many skills from my Dad and his goofy friends, read, loners in the woods.
  Since the late 70s. I have consulted with familys, groups, churches, and others on and about survival.

I had a great career in the music biz as well. I was a record producer and a music publisher for a really long time.
 I have worked with many of the top acts from the 60s until right now.

Being in the music biz gave lots of free time to be in the bush. Im a hunter, fisherman, trapper, solo camping nut. I have been solo for over 90 days at a time.
 Lots of solo treks for a 4 days, 2 weeks, 30 days, etc...
 I have had gardens for 35 years. I like square foot and raised beds.
 I  may know some of you from other forums.

I am a partner in "Dirttime" with Alan Halcon and Christopher Nyerges.

Great to be here. Hope to learn from you and perhaps I can add to the mix as well.
 Oh, and Im too immature to be this old.

Dude...check yer6
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 07:56:33 PM by Dirttime Dude »

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #290 on: March 15, 2009, 07:59:44 PM »
Hello, like many of you I am a little newer to the whole survivalism thing. I have really enjoyed listening to Jack's podcasts and reading through the forum. You are all a great group of people and I really like knowing that me and my husband aren't the only people that feel this way!

resist

« Reply #291 on: March 15, 2009, 09:31:32 PM »
Hey everybody, new here and to the podcast. I just want to thank Jack for his very sound and reasonable views on prepping. The podcast seems so professionally put together, it's hard to believe he is driving to work. I also want to add how much I appreciate the information found on this forum. I am 36, a heavy truck mechanic, and trying to catch up on my preps. I have a long ways to go, but I'll get there. Well anyway, I hope I can provide at least a little help here and there to those of you that have helped me to slow down and look at the big picture. 

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #292 on: March 15, 2009, 10:05:33 PM »
Hy everyone I'm Rustyknife. I have 12 years in Lawenforcement, 9 as a Firefighter. Did some time in Deep Recon and have been interested in survival all my life. My wife and I live in eastern Oregon where we are getting ready for whatever. I grew up on the Crow Indian Reservation in SE Montana and my wife was raised on ranches in southern Idaho. I currently work as a Owner/Operator truck driver running 6 or 7 NW states. For those new members  the Survival Podcast is by far the best group of people and the best source of good information that you will find. Alot to learn here but with the help of this group you will do fine.

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
« Reply #293 on: March 16, 2009, 05:05:14 AM »
wELCOMe ;D

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #294 on: March 17, 2009, 04:32:44 AM »
Welcome everybody.

Can't wait to learn from, & hear about everyone's varied experiences.

Offline oregoncactus

• Prepper
« Reply #295 on: March 19, 2009, 11:22:45 AM »
Hello all,

I am a stay-at-home mom in my 40s to two great kids, 14 and 9.  Before I "retired" to raise my family, I worked as a Manufacturing Engineer for a defense contractor that made avionics systems. 

Found this great podcast through a google search after deciding I couldn't ignore the warning bells my gut has been sending me.  I am working my way through the podcasts and working every day to prepare.  I have always been a bargain shopper, but now I am turning my attention to how I can build preps for the lowest cost using the grocery store w/ coupons, CVS with the ECB program and coupons, Walgreens and its rebate program w/ coupons, and any other store that will give me the items I need for the cheapest cost.

I also am taking some protection courses and am studying for the Technician ticket so I can become a HAM.  I feel a sense of urgency to prepare, but know I can only get there one step at a time. 

Thanks for all the great advice on this forum!

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #296 on: March 19, 2009, 02:18:39 PM »
Welcome oregoncactus, glad to have you. :)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #297 on: March 19, 2009, 05:35:47 PM »

Found this great podcast through a google search after deciding I couldn't ignore the warning bells my gut has been sending me. 

oregoncactus:

Welcome.  You mention warning bells in your gut.  You might find this thread interesting: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3325.0.  It's on the Ladies Survivor page.

Offline oregoncactus

• Prepper
« Reply #298 on: March 19, 2009, 09:02:27 PM »
Thanks for the link, Heavy G.  It is nice to know I am not alone.

Offline Lordfud13

• Prepper
« Reply #299 on: March 21, 2009, 09:45:10 PM »
Hello all.  My name is Tom and I have been trying to get back into the gardening and some of the self-sufficiency items.  My father taught me that the only one you can ever truly count on to take care of you is you.  I'm over 50 and work as an electronics tech.  I am going to school for paralegal, talk about a change.  I started to listen to the podcast about a week ago in sequence.