Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 568107 times)

Offline osubuckeye4

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #5580 on: November 02, 2012, 10:41:21 AM »
First welcome to the forum and all the other new posters.

Congrats on being debt free, working towards that in our house.

I used to think I couldn't have a garden while living in an apartment. An old friend turned me onto container gardening and window boxes. When It was just me and my daughter in an apartment we had spinach, lettuce, green beans, cucumbers and tomatoes in window boxes inside and several containers on our balcony. Could always start small even a salad or two a week is growing your own food. I recently saw where New Yorkers were growing vertical gardens in their apartment high rise windows. They (two adults) were able to have fresh salads three times a week. Or try aquaponics, but I am a little partial to that.

All very good ideas, thanks!

The balcony would be a great idea, but, we unfortunately don't have one. (we're on the first floor in a middle unit, kind of boxed in).

Right now there are really only two windowsills where we could grow anything. We have a third windowsill that is deeper that we could get up a nice little box garden in... but, we also have an adventerous dog that could reach that windowsill and we know he would destroy the garden if we turned away from it for a moment.

I have thought about putting a board up to prevent the dog from getting there, but the wife is not on board with that at all (she thinks it would look tacky when guests come over... she's right, but still  :)) .

If I didn't have gardening experience in the past, I would set up a plant or two on my windowsill. Having the experience I do, it's just not really worth the effort for what I would be able to yield.

I will say this though. If we're still in the same place in 5-6 years or so, I will definitely encourage my daughter to see up a little windowsill garden and will help her tend to it.

Thanks again for the welcome post and the advice!

Offline Transplant

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5581 on: November 02, 2012, 05:55:34 PM »
Hello I am Transplant...well all the other names I wanted to use were already taken and we just moved to Texas so I am a transplant. I am married and we have three sons all grown and on there own. Since the big move I am a stay at home wife and that means I have more time to do what I love...everything from scratch.

Offline Grannywhiskers

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5582 on: November 02, 2012, 08:07:08 PM »
Welcome Transplant!  I live in West Central Texas.  You will find this to be an awesome site to help fill in your time. ;D

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #5583 on: November 02, 2012, 09:44:55 PM »
Transplant, Welcome to Texas and the forum.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Finster

• Prepper
« Reply #5584 on: November 04, 2012, 03:44:47 AM »
Hi to everyone on the Forum and to the members of TSP.

I have been  living in New Zealand for the Last 7 years emigrated from UK with my partner and 2 amazing boys  now 12yrs and 15yrs.( I had the good fortune to see what was going on in the Uk , and decided to bug out to another country before everything went stir crazy.)

I am in the process of selling my house and moving to a 7 acre rural block of land  complete with pasture, woods, stream and house plus barns ect. I am Planning to develop along Permaculture principles and plant more orchards and perennial plants, increase the area of the wood lot, install Solar Hot Water heating.

The first steps will be to plant a large nursery for fruit tree propagation and wood lot trees ( return of surplus to Local community and for building community).

I have been listening to Jack since the early episodes in the Jetta TDi.  I think I started listening at Episode 46, my two sons also listen to Jack, I just need to get my significant other onboard which will make things a lot easier than explaining the Easter Bunny came to visit again.

Looking forward to the 13 in 13 not sure what skills I will want to learn, but I have a huge capacity for Learning.

I would like to thank all the Forum Moderators in advance for all the work they do

Cheers

Finster

Offline gheidorn

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5585 on: November 04, 2012, 06:47:48 AM »
Hello everyone! My name is Garry and I am in the process of moving to Texas. I am currently in Arlington trying to locate a home for the rest of my family. They are still in Oklahoma. I have been trying to prep for several years but it has been difficult until recently. Now the wife is on board with it and is very supportive. I just started listening to Jack about a month ago and I have joined the MSB and will be getting caught up on older podcasts. I just finished downloading them. I am looking forward to eventually meeting some of you who may be near meand learn as much as I can.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5586 on: November 04, 2012, 07:50:16 AM »
Welcome both  Finster and    gheidorn to the forum. 

This is a wonderful place to chat, compare notes and ideas from everything from is the TDI worth the extra money, or how to better make use of your land for growing crops.

No one is truly ever prepared for everything, but we can take steps to make our journey fun, entertaining, enlightening, and a few other words I can't spell.

Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline TheSuperintendent

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5587 on: November 04, 2012, 06:00:33 PM »
Hello Everyone,

My name is David and I live in California, more specifically the San Joaquin Valley.  I found the podcast a few weeks ago and have listened to 100 episodes before posting.  I have been prepping for about a year and have been enjoying the podcast tremendously.  The way Jack explains the concept of living better in good times or bad is perfect.  I have increased my gardening to include winter crops and have been stocking up on other "neccessities".  I don't consider myself a "tin foil hat" prepper, rather an intelligent planner ensuring I can take care of my family if I lose my job, or if there is a localized disaster such as a major earthquake.  Of course all this planning also would be helpful if there was an EMP or other SHTF scenario. 

Thank you Jack for providing valuable information and a place for all of us to communicate.

David

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #5588 on: November 04, 2012, 07:00:13 PM »
Hello,

My name is Matt. I live in Oklahoma City. I am in my thirties. I have been prepping for about a year and listening to the podcast for about 6 months. I have already done a few posts on the forums and so far it seems like a cool board. I also use zello (if you don't know what that is, go find out) and go by blademan2 on the tspn channel on there.

Man's mind is his basic tool of survival.
Fear is the mind killer.

Two rules for a happy life:
1. Never sling shit at an armed man.
2. Never stand next to someone who is slinging shit at an armed man.

Offline Topher

• Fledgling Prepper
    • gmNO - The 21 day GMO free diet experiment
« Reply #5589 on: November 05, 2012, 09:08:52 PM »
Hey guys,

My name is Chris, I live in Indiana, and have been listening to the show almost since the beginning (late 2008). I'm just now getting round to posting on the forum even though I made my self and account a while ago, guess I'm a bit of procrastinator. I live in the suburbs but I've kept rabbits in a colony and free range ducks, love to garden, and grow fruit trees, bushes and vines, I also deer hunt every fall. Hope to get to know some more of you guys on here.
Currently Preparing to go on a 21 day GMO free diet - come see if my head explodes!
gmNO.net

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #5590 on: November 06, 2012, 06:40:16 AM »
Welcome Topher. I am from Indiana too. Come on over to the regional boards and say hi. I help organize a few meetings in the Indianapolis area and have met a few other TSPers and turned some more onto TSP. Glad you could join the forum.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5591 on: November 06, 2012, 01:45:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum Topher. Fellow Hoosier here as well:)
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline bleak

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5592 on: November 07, 2012, 01:15:26 AM »
Hi all, I'm mostly a newbee but lately I have been thinking a lot about this stuff. First of all, let me just say that I didn't vote for Obamney; I voted for Gary Johnson after watching the second 3rd Party Debate. His closing statement was very strong and he sounded angry (as any American should be  >:(). What I didn't want to do was take the bait and vote for the "lesser of two evils." Whoever that is... they are both exceptional liars. IMO, the game has been rigged for quite awhile now.

I wanted to get that out of the way because I'm a bit passionate about the US Constitution. "I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." Don't know who said that but it's a good one. Anyway, I've got my 2nd Amendment stuff mostly in order (need more!) and I'm interested in HAM radio. I've been stockpiling food items; mostly canned. So, I want to branch out there plus getting my truck ready for an emergency. I am the proud owner of an '04 Chevy Astro cargo van, meaning shelter which I've done before. Do you know that that makes me a potential "terrorist?"

So, I'm gonna post some questions in the HAM and Firearms areas. Hope to meet some of you there. ;D

Offline SentinelSheepdog

• Fledgling Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #5593 on: November 07, 2012, 02:33:29 AM »
Hi all,
SentinalSheepdog here, new to the TSP Forums even though I've been listening to the TSP for a little while.

I am a resident of North Carolina, a law enforcement officer here, and a beginner prepper interested in the disaster preparedness, critical incident command side of things for any kind of emergency or SHTF scenario. My wife is more than interested in putting money in our 401K, planning for retirement, and getting debt paid off; however, we are not on the same page with gathering supplies, skill sets, or interpersonal relationships that are necessary to have "when times get tough", and especially "when they don't.

Thank y'all for the excellent resources that I have already been able to glean just from a very elementary look around the forums. I am very excited about being a forum member and am looking forward to learning together with others of a similar preparedness mindset.
"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." - JFK, 1961

Offline goataroo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5594 on: November 07, 2012, 02:25:02 PM »
Hello all.  Greetings from Nebraska. 

I've been a TSP listener and forum lurker for nearly two years.  Learned a lot in that time, but still have a long way to go. My husband isn't entirely on board my odd behavior, but he humors me.  He appreciates my enthusiasm for guns, but doesn't get the food storage, self-sufficiency thing.  It's a shame because he has a lot of knowledge to offer and I would love his input in a number of areas.  I've been coaxing him to take serious look at our security situation, and consider upgrading our 12+ year old generator, but I'm getting nowhere.  It gets pretty stressful and lonely, so I'm finally going to reach out to some like-minded folks.   :)

Beth

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #5595 on: November 07, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »
Welcome Beth.

You are not alone. Got you e-family here on TSP.

Maybe, just a suggestion, point him to the people dealing with Sandy aftermath and ask "What if something similar happened here? What would we do in that situation?" Better yet, if anyone on here has gone through Sandy maybe a personal account of what worked and what they had. The 1014 and 2015 podcasts might be worth a play.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline goataroo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5596 on: November 07, 2012, 03:00:32 PM »
Welcome Beth.

You are not alone. Got you e-family here on TSP.

Maybe, just a suggestion, point him to the people dealing with Sandy aftermath and ask "What if something similar happened here? What would we do in that situation?" Better yet, if anyone on here has gone through Sandy maybe a personal account of what worked and what they had. The 1014 and 2015 podcasts might be worth a play.

Thanks!  I've sent him podcasts before, but he rarely listens.  Not sure if I sent him either of those you mention, but will check them out.  There have been some good posts by Sandy survivors at Survival Blog.  I might point him that way too.  Again, thanks for the welcome, and the suggestions!

Offline 2Bears

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5597 on: November 07, 2012, 09:21:33 PM »
Hello everyone! My Name is Barney, but I also go by the call sign of 2Bears. (military background) While googling survival radio shows I stumble upon Jack's. I looked no furthur. Not knowing what to expect or what I was really looking for, a wealth of information jumped out at me (without being pushy) and was instantly hooked. My wife and I have been doing a mish-mash of things trying to be a self-sufficient as possible. It started out as fun and a hobby and it has turned into the past year of more of an eye opening adventure. I do have a back ground in military survival survival. It was pretty cool to be paid to camp! lol While I have taught pilots to survive/escape/resist/evade, I have come to know there is a ginormous amount of day to day living and skills sets to learn to be more self reliant. We are hoping to learn and then apply as much as possible. We live in North Western North Dakota.  We are also looking for anyone we can trade ideas with or meet in this part of the state or North Eastern Montana. Look forward to listening to more of Jack's podcasts and being a part of the forum!  :)

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #5598 on: November 08, 2012, 07:38:19 AM »
Welcome Barney, head over to your regional boards to find locals in your area. Glad to have you here.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Offline 1/8th of Ton Man

• Prepper
    • Suburban Steader
« Reply #5599 on: November 09, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »
I just wanted to drop a quick line and introduce myself. You can call me LBSurfer or Dan. I currently live on Long Island. The whole idea of survival when "the system goes down" has been something that's been on my mind a lot lately. The devastation we've seen/experienced first hand from Hurricane Sandy has prompted me into action. I am one of the fortunate ones - no power yet, but that's all - it could be much worse.

My goal here is to participate in the community and, in the process, learn about ways to keep my family safe and healthy should the inevitable happen.  I'm interested in a lot of areas - but food/water, shelter and protection are probably where I'll start.

Looking forward to joining in the discussions and learning from you all!

Offline couponsmakecents

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5600 on: November 09, 2012, 03:20:07 PM »
Hi.  Just found this site today but have been preparing hit and miss for about a year.  In the last six months really been seeing the need to step it up.  Looking forward to learning from everyone.
"Tired of ignoring the signs of the times; ready to prepare."

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."

Offline MentalWarden

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5601 on: November 09, 2012, 06:33:04 PM »
My name is Mark Tipton and I am an American expatriate living in the Philippines. I went Galt in 2004 but now feel compelled to return to the US. This is a rather verbose introduction but I hope you  will read through it as it will let you know something about  me and my experience … and more importantly, why I am registering here now.

Until 2005 my dad and I owned roughly 170 acres of high desert in Northern Nevada … north of Reno. The property was fully off the grid and set up to use local water sources, wind and solar power. There was no outside utility coming in with the exception of cell phone signals. I worked full time and my dad was on retirement … something which will not likely be around for many of us here today I imagine. We invested heavily in precious metals. Primarily we bought and traded steel (barrels) (shotting) iron(s) lead (bullets) and copper (jackets). We bought numerous 98 Mausers from the local Big 5 and rebuilt them changing the caliber and the actions. In 2005 my Dad had a heart attack while I was out of town for work. I promptly quit my job and went home to help … as my boss said I would not be able to leave, and it was my dad, I parked the company vehicle at the bus station and went home.

I went to get him in the hospital and we were told he would need long term care. I took all the classes, all the courses, learned how to do things that nobody other than a mother should ever have to deal with and was within a few weeks of taking him home. Part of the process involved completely renovating his home to accommodate his disabilities. Upon completion, the home had to be inspected … and that was when they found out we lived off the grid. The entire legal situation quickly changed from me being such a “good man” for taking care of my dad to the point where I was facing federal charges. Taking him home would have constituted an act of “elder abuse” and not taking him home would have been “elder abandonment” both of which carry federal penalties. My only legal option was not to be the nearest living next of kin and the last time I was on my property, there were about fifty cops there sorting through my stuff as they took literally everything we owned.

As you can imagine, this was a bit unsettling and is ultimately how I ended up back in the Philippines where I had been doing volunteer work since 1998. I had very little to start with here and lost all that to two of the three worst storms in local history and now my wife has finally consented to moving back to the US and I feel compelled to return given the state of the nation … but I need to rebuild when I do. Don't worry, I am not asking anyone for money but I am looking for people who are interested in surviving and potentially surviving very well in a fully self-sustaining and potentially profitable environment. I will need partners and/or investors to make this happen but it is actually something that I have set up for others before.

Here I make my living primarily as a writer and web designer though I also do a lot of work as a business consultant. This is work that I have done on a number of different levels on and off since the early nineties when my dad and I began building our own home … it allowed me the freedom I needed to work on my own property and while it was good money, it was not consistent, thus, the reason I worked other jobs as well. As most people here likely know, escaping from the rat race can be done inexpensively but it is better to do it well … and two jobs is sometimes necessary.

In 1996 I developed business plans and business and marketing strategies for a guest ranch in the western United States. The actual business was a Guest Ranch providing country living for high end tourists. We also provided hunting and fishing tours as well as other offerings for the middle class and the rich. On the outside, this was all that the business appeared to be. On the inside, the setup was ideal for people who are concerned about current affairs and the goings-on in the world today. The entire plot was fully defensible and moreover, the setup was nearly fully self-sustainable. Obviously there is some need for a limited amount of outside influence though in that particular instance, the setup was sufficient to keep the property, at full capacity, fully isolated, defensible and alive for at least a three year period. At present there are two similar properties that I know about and I am hoping to do some networking and find some like-minded people who would be interested in setting up a similar venture. The business venture end could be set up for middle class or upper class visitors depending on the level of commitment involved. In return, I would retain management rights and a percentage of the ownership.

Personally, I am quite skilled at setting up minimalistic facilities as well. My dad and I built an entire project on a very limited budget. From acquiring land to setting up solar and wind to home made windmills for generating power and pumping water, I have personal experience and a strong desire to meet like minded individuals. I am more than happy to freely share my knowledge regarding smaller settings and hope to meet others who can give me new ideas and information in return. I am happy to be here and hope that we can meet some day … under the best of circumstances.

Mark Tipton

[edited to fix double-posting of content]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 11:39:13 AM by Mr. Bill »

Offline OCHomestead

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5602 on: November 10, 2012, 11:08:04 PM »
Hello all, my name is Steven and with my wife Jennifer and our 4 kids (Madison 12, Cooper 10, Jack 6, & Lily May 4) we are trying to live a different life in Orange County, California.  We live in a suburban neighborhood, like most of Southern California, we have been home schooling from the beginning, got chickens 5 years ago, removed a 3rd of our back yard sod and made raised beds for vegetables and last winter we sheet mulched half of our front yard and 5 months later planted 12 fruit trees.  Jennifer, who is extremely interested in permaculture found Jack's podcast about a year ago by googling permaculture podcasts, and found someone talking about the types of things she was interested in.  She would share with me the things that she was learning, but I was too swamped and stressed with work to listen myself.  Well after 18 years at the same company, I finally took the leap toward independence and started my own Residential Audio Video and Construction business last week and started listening to 3-4 of Jack's podcasts per day.  Today I went to a gun store to sign up for a firearm safety class as I was taught to fear guns and then I went to the local Smart & Final to see what bulk items they have so we can start to prepare for what ever may happen in the future. 

See you on the forum and looking forward to meet more like minded people!

Steven

Offline scaatylobo

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5603 on: November 11, 2012, 09:35:16 AM »
I go by scaatylobo [ from many other forums ] aka Steven S.

Hunter,camper,study survival since early 1970's.

First started after seeing Charleston Hestons "Omega Man" movie and that got me thinking 'what if'.

First book I read [ and still have ] is Mel Tappan's "Survival Guns".

I reside in Western NYS,and no that is nothing like NYC.

Hunting season [ deer/bear ] opens next saturday and its a hoot up here.

Guns,knives,gear,tools,bourbon,Harley [ 2002 Roadking ],camping,reading,hunting,travel [ with & without wife,she wont pack on bike ].

Retired LEO .

RABID 2 nd Amendment supporter.

Jewish and member of JPFO [ Jews for the preservation of firearms ownership ].

Offline greggcole

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5604 on: November 11, 2012, 01:15:46 PM »
Hello everyone. I am Gregg. I have been listening to the podcast about 3 months. Looking forward to learning from all of you.

Offline hunprep

• Fledgling Prepper
    • The Hungarian Prepper
« Reply #5605 on: November 12, 2012, 08:35:43 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm Robert from Hungary. I've been listening to Jack for a few months now and I decided to register on the forum, too.

I am 20, currently moving closer and closer to dropping out from college (from my current one, at least). I am the local leader of a youth-driven NGO leading 50 ppl, teaching them about management, life skills, dealing with people and similar stuffs.

I am also kinda-prepper which means I am aware of the things going on, I am interested in prepping and bushcraft skills but I haven't put lots of effort in prepping so far. (I plan to, though)

My "partner in prepping" is my dad, who is 50 and is a lot more devoted than me.

As I am working in an NGO that aims at creating better people and help them be successful in their lives without hurting others I am highly interested in the ideological connections between my NGO and survivalist/prepper ideas.

I hope I will find this forum to be entertaining and informative for me.

Robert out.
Prepare for the small and the big and they won't look like a chatastrophy.

http://hunprep.tumblr.com

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

Offline Wildthang

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5606 on: November 12, 2012, 02:49:22 PM »
Hello fellow survivors, my name is Wildthang and as you have guessed, I am new here. I am a homesteader as well as a wilderness camper and hiker, and it is good to be here!

Offline BoxingGandhi

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5607 on: November 12, 2012, 03:28:03 PM »
Hello,
I am really happy to be here.  I am a lifetime member of Zombie Squad and have listened to the podcast for a while and then decided to join the forum and member support brigade.  Can't turn down a bargain like that.  So although I am new to the forum I am not new to the podcast.  I have lurked for a while now and have such a great appreciation for what a really great community that has been created here.  I am really grateful for the opportunity to be a part of it. 

Since joining nothing but good things have happened, high points being getting to meet Dr. Bones and nurse Amy, Jeff Gleason (the Berkey Guy), The Survival Mom, and others at the Mesa AZ preparedness expo.  The really best thing was being one of the winners of the  299 days books autographed by Jack and "Glen".  As a signed book collector that was an extremely amazing happenstance.

Anyway I am certainly hoping I can give back to the community at least as much as I get out of it and hopefully more.  Thanks for the opportunity.

Offline TCPrepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Newbie prepper and TSP listener
« Reply #5608 on: November 12, 2012, 08:42:10 PM »
Greetings everyone! I am a newbie prepper and just found TSP about a month ago. I live south of Minneapolis/St. Paul, and am working hard at getting out of debt and prepping as much as an apartment dweller can!

Offline rbyrd

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5609 on: November 12, 2012, 09:14:46 PM »
Hey Prepers Im Reggie.

Im new to preping. Im intersted in growing edibles, EDC, and my first weapon. I know that being prepared is more than just that, but that is where I kinda started. I live in OC CA are they any prepers close? I look forward to being part of this community.