Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 549295 times)

Offline damaged110

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #5670 on: December 01, 2012, 10:47:27 PM »
Hello my name is Brett.
I have been prepping for a while now. started when i was a kid in Oklahoma. lots of storms there that last for days at a time. I believe in sharing my skills with anyone who is willing to learn. and learning as much as i can. I am a ham radio operator and a master mechanic.
I have been roaming around this forum for a while and i like what i see so i decided to join.
hope i can make a contribution to this community.

Thank you for all of this great information

Offline TeufelSchwein4

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5671 on: December 02, 2012, 01:44:02 AM »
Hey guys...thanks for having me.

I am relatively new to the TSP website, but I hope I can add to the information sharing that I have found.

Thanks.
That's gonna itch when it dries...

Offline Janet the Planet

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5672 on: December 02, 2012, 09:27:04 PM »
Hi-Ive been listening to the podcast for a while; new to the forum.  I'm a CRNA- nurse anesthetist-working in an urban hospital and living on the east coast of Delaware.  I am married, four kids- two grown, one in college, one in high school.  I'm recent to prepping, doing my best to (hopefully) set up to bug in.  Sandy gave my prep a good try out- power was off and on, but we were very, very lucky.  I look forward to hearing from others in similar sits.  Janet 

Offline TorontoGrl

• Prepper
  • Russian immigrant :)
« Reply #5673 on: December 03, 2012, 07:26:50 PM »
HI, I've stumbled onto this forum a month ago and have been quietly reading through a few threads, a lot of great info here and very interesting people.  I'm a Russian immigrant (Russian/Ukrainian/Mongolian actually), living in Toronto, Canada.  I'll be 37 next month, married, have 2 little kids. 
Due to my background, I have always stored enough for a rainy day but have been getting a bit more serious since Sandy hit New York and realized that my usual efforts weren't enough... I have always been a Winter camper (alone) and my camping trips never really included any of the interesting modern gadgets (like water filters), I almost never brought food with me except for potatoes and cayenne, so I decided to modernize my supplies and learn as much as I can.

My husband wants nothing to do with camping or prepping :(

I also visit http://inchsurvival.com website and http://internationalpreppersnetwork.net under the same username.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #5674 on: December 03, 2012, 07:53:34 PM »
Welcome to the fourm Jake, damaged, Teufel, Janet and Toronto!

It sounds like everyone has things to share.

TorontoGrl, you may find this thread interesting: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3239.0
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline TorontoGrl

• Prepper
  • Russian immigrant :)
« Reply #5675 on: December 03, 2012, 08:11:45 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and link! :)

Offline TravisWis

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5676 on: December 04, 2012, 06:06:50 PM »
Hello everyone,

Im turning 30 in a few days, recently single (on a break), and have a 5 year old son. I live in Iowa just outside of Omaha, Nebraska. Spent half my life here and the other half in Boulder, Colorado.

Have recently started prepping I guess you could say but I grew up with a huge interest in survival topics. Got in to Boy Scouts at age 5 and made it to Eagle. Scout instructor was an ex military survival instructor so I learned a lot. Moved back to my home town of Boulder when I was 19 and took on backpacking. Being an early 20 something with a love for adventure and danger I spent a lot of time in the mountains with limited supplies. Spent a number of months living in a tent outside of Lyons before moving back to the Omaha area. Have been a Libertarian borderline anarchist for a long while, more so anarchist punk in my earlier years.

I've grown up so to speak in the last 6 years working at my families 90 acres of greenhouses. I own a small suburban house and have lots of hobbies. From aquariums, hydroponics, homesteading, being a geek, fishing, camping, hah I've been told I have to many hobbies. I love to learn and have always been a sponge and love teaching what I know.

In an effort to keep from writing a novel autobiography (I blabber online sometimes) Ill keep this short. I started listening to TSP a few months ago. I have had what some call an obsession with the zombie genera and I've always had a love for homesteading. Listening to podcasts dealing with those subjects I started to think about prepping. After a search on the subject and some tin foil hat stuff I didn't care for I found TSP. After listening for a day at work I breathed a sigh of relief! I'm glad to have found this community.

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #5677 on: December 04, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »
Hello... I'm Bob....
Pardon the delayed intro... I started posting before saying "Hi"...  used to moderate/admin a scuba forum, so pretty comfortable in forum environs...

Been listening to the podcast about a month now after monitoring various other podcasts/blogs for the past several months.  Several at the Appleseed event mentioned TSP as their home forum/podcast, so I visited here.

I live in the Cincinnati region, perhaps just out of the path of the Golden Horde.  My wife works in Securities/Funds and I train industrial automation/electrical.  We've been mindful of world events for a while now, but have taken our eye off the ball a time or two over the past five years, however been refocusing this year.  My wife has a similar mindset to me and is generating her "13in13" list even though she doesn't read the forum or listen to the podcast (except when riding in the car with me) .

Much to learn here from the many adherents and we like the even keel approach that seems more prevalent here than other places on the interweb.... we can especially relate to Jack's political, financial, and 2nd Amendment views.

Look forward to integrating into the community...

Offline radtech

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5678 on: December 05, 2012, 12:09:12 PM »
I have only been 'prepping' for about 6 months, and have a lot to learn.  Looking foward to learning from seasoned preppers!  I am married, have three  kids, 17 year old boys, 20 year old daughter.  My kids and husband are not really on board for prepping, they think I am a little paranoid.  My husband does see the wisdom in being prepared, but he is still not fully supportive.  Although, my husband did listen to the podcast on fuel storage, I was really suprised!   Looking foward to getting to know you all here, and learning as much as I can!  I signed up on the forum a while back, when I first listened to the podcast, lurked around once or twice, felt it was time to really be a member.

Offline Mo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5679 on: December 05, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »
Howdy from the PNW. 

I'm in my fifties, worked most of my career in residential construction as a carpenter, project manager and designer (Blueprints).   The economy hasn't been kind to my line of work but I've managed to keep the bills paid by putting the tools back on (building cabinets, hardwood flooring, trim, framing, tile, roofing, siding...).  Seems to be getting tougher each year so I'm putting together my resume and practicing my "Do you want fries with that?"

Managed to convince a wonderful woman to stay married to me for over 30 years, mainly due to my ability to fix the remote and get spiders out of the shower, I suppose.  We've been sweethearts since we were in High School.   She's a hard worker and successful in her own careers.  She was in banking (underwriting) before the financial crisis and saw the shenanigans from the inside, decided to bail in 2005 as it sickened her morally and physically.  Took an entry level position in another field for 20% of the pay and has quickly risen to mid management which is as high as she wants to go, though the offer is regularly made for more lucrative positions.

We're avid outdoor enthusiasts, hiking/backpacking, fishing, mountain biking, hunting, recreational and competitive shooting, canoeing, camping etc. 

We've usually lived in rural/semi rural locations - 30+ miles to the nearest stoplight when we first moved here - but suburbia has overtaken us which is less than ideal for what we expect is headed our way.   Our goal is to find another place that is a bit more conducive to self-reliant living.

Offline Skully Dog

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Gung-Ho Bigfoot Adventures
« Reply #5680 on: December 05, 2012, 03:17:08 PM »
Hail and well met from the Pacific Northwest. - The name is Skully Dog, and I live in Bigfoot and D.B. Cooper territory...about 80 miles south of Oregon. I've been into survival (smile when you say that,) most of my life. I was raised on a farm in the north east, then spent over 20 years in Florida, and now I'm out here on the left coast. - I work as an Armed Guard four twelve hour days a week. This gives me three day weekends, and I spend a lot of them in the mountains with my dog Ripley. - I also volunteer with SAR as a Wilderness First Responder. 
Buy Guns and Buy Mags. Before Bye Guns and Bye Mags.

Offline halh

• Prepper
  • cranky old barstard...
« Reply #5681 on: December 05, 2012, 11:42:22 PM »
Hello all, halh here from the high desert area of Southern California... interesting stuff on this forum, thank you all for your contributions.
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

Offline Kilted Brewer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5682 on: December 06, 2012, 04:12:49 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Name is John, and I'm up in Maine.  Married with twin sons who are now 3 1/2.  I used to manage a bog box retail book store, but left to be a stay at home dad, knowing the company would be going under in a year or two.  My awesome wife is an RN who works in the emergency room.  We knew we wanted one of us home with the kids for at least the first few years, and given the shaky future of my job, I got to be the lucky one.

I'm sure all the parents here know this already, but being a Dad is awesome

Before moving to Maine, we were both volunteers in our local ambulance squad (over 7000 calls a year) and our volunteer fire department (much smaller call volume!).  She was a Paramedic and I was an EMT-B.  We were also certified (American Heart Association) CPR and First Aid instructors, but all of our certifications have lapsed... amazing how a moving to a new state and having twins can suck up your free time.

I've got more interests than you can shake a stick at.  I love fishing and I build my own fly rods and tie my own flies.  Last summer I took a class and built my own bamboo fly rod, which is just awesome to me.  I also hunt (though not very well I guess) and have become the keeper of all the skins and feathers my friends can give me, which keep costs down.  I've gotten pretty good at skinning small game and treating the hides/skins.  My very tolerant wife hardly batted an eye at the tub of squirrel skins soaking in denatured alcohol on the kitchen counter...  And she things the grouse skins are have lots of pretty feathers.

We also do a lot of kayaking and camping- mostly car camping these days, but once the boys get a bit older, we'll start backpacking again.  X-Country skiing and snowshoeing, ice fishing, winter camping- we are up for almost anything outside, love all 4 seasons.  I was in the Army Reserve, I enjoy wood working, especially with hand tools, gardening, canning, cooking,baking, the list goes on and on.

We are slowly turning our cabin into more of a homestead.  We live on a pretty big pond, at the end of a private road, with one set of great, year round neighbors.  I'm slowly clearing trees to make way for a garden, and then come chickens and rabbits.  As a kid in 4h I raised goats, chickens, sheep, rabbits and pigs.  Our goal is to be as self sufficient as we can, able to barter for what we can't provide ourselves.  I'm also home brew beer and hard cider, and hoping to do some fruit wines next summer.

We are sort of natural DIYers I guess, if there is such a thing.  We both love to know how stuff works, how to do it, and take great satisfaction looking at what we've done afterwards.  Even if it's not perfect, we know we did as good a job as we could, and it cost us nothing but our sweat and materials.  And in return, we gained knowledge and new hardwood floors, or a wood shed, or whatever the project was.  And if we wanted a professional job, we would have hired a professional right?

Anyway, I guess we've always been sort of preppers... I think you have to be if you want to live in the rural northeast- you have to be ready to deal with blizzards and ice storms and the like.  We both just figured we should try and be more prepared- more than a week or twos worth of supplies.  And as I started looking for info, I stumbled onto this site and the podcast.  I've been listening at nights after I put the boys to bed, and find it very interesting.  Not only for the survival and prepping information, but also some of the political views.  I'm finding my own beliefs challenged a bit and I like that.    I like to think of the brain as a muscle, and if you don't exercise it, it atrophies.  I'm also finding it amazing how many of my other lifestyle wishes (simplicity, natural, back to land, etc) dovetail so neatly into prepping/survival.

Well, this turned into quite the novel.  I'm looking forward to learning more, and hopefully I'll be able to add some useful knowledge as well.

Thanks in advance everyone, I'm sure I'll find all sorts of good stuff here.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
    • Blog - That Writer Broad
« Reply #5683 on: December 06, 2012, 05:29:55 PM »
Before moving to Maine, we were both volunteers in our local ambulance squad (over 7000 calls a year) and our volunteer fire department (much smaller call volume!).  She was a Paramedic and I was an EMT-B.

Is that how you two met?  It sounds very romantic if it is.

My very tolerant wife hardly batted an eye at the tub of squirrel skins soaking in denatured alcohol on the kitchen counter...

Maybe not quite as romantic as the first part...  ;D
Blog - That Writer Broad - http://ThatWriterBroad.com/

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Starting to get the hang of this.
« Reply #5684 on: December 06, 2012, 09:11:18 PM »
Hello I'm Jess.  My husband became interested in all this "crazy stuff" and just kept talking to me until I realized it wasn't that crazy after all :).  Now I am trying to play catch up.  I read 299days and it talked about this forum and these podcasts.  My husband has been listening for awhile but I just never paid attention.  So now I am.  I hope to learn lots here and help too. 
We are currently in the Pacific Northwest.  I'm active duty Coast Guard.  We have kids and an overly attached Great Dane.
Busymomx3

Offline Kilted Brewer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5685 on: December 07, 2012, 05:00:07 AM »
RitaRose1945-

LOL, no we didn't meet at the ambulance corps, although she is the one who got me interested and encouraged me to volunteer.  Lots of late night, bleary eyed rendezvous at the station when the pagers went off though.  That's not all that romantic either!

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #5686 on: December 07, 2012, 06:33:16 AM »
Welcome to the forums, new arrivals!

Offline Kayakmom

• Prepper
  • Happy to be here.
« Reply #5687 on: December 08, 2012, 05:01:25 PM »
Hi halh! There aren't too many Californians on here, far as I can tell. So welcome to the forum! Nice to see more sensible people in this part of the country!

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Such a sweety. - TheBinkieHunter!
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • A fledgling ant watching out for antlions
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #5688 on: December 09, 2012, 09:35:34 AM »
welcome to all the new folks! start learning!

Mai Thai Coffee - Coffee With a Mission - MSB members get 10% off everything! www.maithaicoffee.com

Want to win free coffee? New contest in The Swap Meet board every month. Check out the current one here.

We work directly with the Thai farmers who grow our coffee. We have a great video that shows the process of getting our coffee From Seed to Cup

Offline smellincoffee

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Tenderfoot
« Reply #5689 on: December 09, 2012, 04:34:46 PM »
'Lo, all.... A couple of months ago I found the Survival podcast while looking for podcasts devoted to camping, hiking, the outdoors, and so on. I hit paydirt when Google returned the entry wherein Jack interviews the host of the Outdoors podcast, so I found two podcasts with one search.  Although I used to think of survivalism as the domain of the slightly paranoid, circumstances in recent years have moved me in the direction of prepperhood. I graduated college in the middle of the "Great Recession", with a fine liberal arts degree that did wonders for my mind but precious little for my fiscal future.  That, and my introduction to the concept of peak oil by Jim Kunstler, made me increasingly motivated with self-reliance.  I tend toward left-libertarianism, so the podcast has been an engaging and thought-provoking find.

Offline catladyprepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5690 on: December 09, 2012, 04:35:24 PM »
Hey folks. I'm 51, married, love cats but love my family more (Hey we only have 3 cats that's not why they all think I'm nuts!) New to firearms and their importance in a free society and long time reader/listener after my husband reminds me to do so! Working on my 13 for 13 so I'm ready to roll.

Offline NextGenPrepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5691 on: December 09, 2012, 06:48:36 PM »
Hello TSP Community,

I have been listening to Jack since March 2011. After lurking in the forums and finally posting my first question, I was heartened to see how welcoming and helpful this community is. So sorry for the late intro.

I am married, in my early 30's, I work in higher ed in a mid-western rust belt city. I am a former Army National Guard Infantry Officer (Baghdad, OIF II) Vet and experienced what happens in a collapsed country with an insurgency. I had trouble readjusting when I returned to civilian life, but thanks to Jack he has given me a new positive and healthy paradigm with his modern survivalism prepping philosophy. This new lifestyle redesign came just in time for my first child (second one on the way now), which was critical in helping me fulfill my primal need to take care of my family and help redefine my role as a father in the post-feminism 21st Century society.

Hobbies: guns, fitness, outdoors, bird hunting, bass fishing, motorcycling, blogging

NextGenPrepper
Midwest Rust Belt College City
http://13skills.com/member/2195/nextgenprepper

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #5692 on: December 10, 2012, 07:26:20 AM »
WOW, I need to check this thread more often.  AMAZING to see all the new people, the site is just constantly growing, which bodes well for us as a group.  The more people who are prepared, the better off we all are.

Welcome all!!!

Doc
Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #5693 on: December 10, 2012, 08:12:44 AM »
WOW, I need to check this thread more often.  AMAZING to see all the new people, the site is just constantly growing, which bodes well for us as a group.  The more people who are prepared, the better off we all are.

Welcome all!!!

Doc

I looked real quick and found these numbers. Over 17 million page views on the forum and not done with 2012 yet. What I find interesting is new topics/posts are going down and in my opinion just goes to show how much information is already on here that people can search and usually find the info the are lookign for. At least it is the case for me.   

Yearly Summary   New Topics   New Posts   New Members   Most Online   Page views
2012                 6,772                  83,566                   4,079                  194                 17,150,887
2011                 8,579                  101,172                   3,665                  245                 14,033,178
2010                 10,912                  125,185                   4,062                  238                 11,638,867
2009                 10,097                  115,084                   6,533                  150                 7,327,356
2008                 1,946                  18,850                   1,257                  57                 682,389
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline navydavep

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #5694 on: December 10, 2012, 11:37:09 AM »
Hello all.  I was introduced to this site by a prepper friend and I've enjoyed reading the interesting posts.  I'm a Preparedness Planner in the Southeast and take personal and public Emergency Preparedness seriously.  Hope to learn more and contribute to this strong community.
Risk = Threat x Vulnerability x Consequence

Offline frjoeb

• Survivor
  • Learning the common sense of Grandma and Grandpa
    • St. Augustine Outdoorsman
« Reply #5695 on: December 10, 2012, 12:49:19 PM »
navydavep,

Welcome to the forum.

Offline mrfusion70

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5696 on: December 10, 2012, 12:52:37 PM »
Hello from Indiana, been listening to the show for a couple of years now and have always been self-sufficient in most things I do. Looking forward to learning more!

8)

Offline frjoeb

• Survivor
  • Learning the common sense of Grandma and Grandpa
    • St. Augustine Outdoorsman
« Reply #5697 on: December 10, 2012, 12:55:34 PM »
mrfusion70

Welcome!

Offline BlindAsylum78

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5698 on: December 10, 2012, 04:58:50 PM »
I'm 34 and live in Chicago.  Would love to move out of state to Michigan, Missouri, Kentucky, or even back to Tennessee - where I lived briefly as a kid.

I'm pretty new to the whole preparedness movement.  A friend started warning me about the state of our beloved country a year ago, but I ignored it all for the most part.  Never liked talking about politics, economics, or anything of the sort.  But the warnings kept coming, and not just from that friend.  Then a couple months ago, my eyes were finally opened and I dove in with both feet.

I'll admit that I was raised as a city boy.  My survival skill set is basically nil.  Or at least it was when I started on this course.  But I have a little story to tell, that I think you'll all appreciate.  I joined the Boy Scouts while living down in Tennessee from '89 to '90.  On one particular hike through the mountains, I was conversing with an older scout.  I remember asking him what he did for fun.  He said he liked being outdoors, camping, hiking, and the like.  When I asked if he played Atari video games, he said no.  I was amazed by that response, and it has stuck with me ever since.  Sadly though, despite thinking about what he said numerous times over the years, I never really took his words to heart; nor strived to follow his example.  Until now, in a state with barely a hill or decent sized forest within two hours' drive - if not three.

Anyway, to give you all an idea how my family feels about preparedness, my mom once said that as long as the government keeps printing money, we'll be fine.  Go figure.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #5699 on: December 10, 2012, 05:23:48 PM »
Mrfusion come on over to the regional boards and say hi. I am also from Indiana.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf