Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 607046 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #5760 on: December 26, 2012, 11:53:07 AM »
Greetings and welcome, all new members. :)

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • One day my forge will be finished.
« Reply #5761 on: December 26, 2012, 04:02:09 PM »
Hi colan and dean welcome to the community! Make y'all selves at home and let us know of ya need anything
Contributing to TSP Forum since October 19, 2008.

Offline Luvmy45

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5762 on: December 26, 2012, 11:19:03 PM »
Greetings to all,

Just started listening to the podcasts...wondered in on the battery, generator episodes and have been hitting the various podcasts.

I'm a family man here in Idaho. And you can tell from my handle I like guns especially of the John Moses browning linage.

I am an avid, some would say a little more than avid, but avid none the less gun guy, I love competitive shooting sports like, IDPA, USPSA, 3 gun, precision long range, and steel challenge. Right now I like pushing the limits of my precision rifle rig....1 mile is the limit for me so far, but going for more!

I enjoy ham radio, I have my general.

Anyway, glad to find this place, see you all around!

Brian
Brian K.

W1CDP

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #5763 on: December 27, 2012, 07:28:53 AM »
I enjoy ham radio, I have my general.

Make sure you check out the ham group here. Quite a few of us around.

Offline EngChi

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5764 on: December 27, 2012, 11:14:22 AM »
Greeting,

I am Simeon, an engineer living in Chicago , IL, husband, father, and 1st generation immigration from former Soviet Union who is interested in self reliance and libertarian in political views. Have been listening to survival podcast for a little over a year 

Offline poroto

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5765 on: December 27, 2012, 11:13:55 PM »
Hi folks,

My name is Benny and I am software engineer by trade, but I spend most of my time now days now as a software architect or designing and analyzing the results of experiments (DoE).   I've been interested in prepping for a long time, not so much because I expect some cataclysmic event, more so from a self-sufficiency perspective.   The wife and I are avid outdoors people, we love to camp, fish and hunt and we've been doing so as often as we can for about 17 years, before that my two younger brothers were my camping partners.   We have a homestead going in Florida were we are raising animals and growing vegetables.  I plan to add Tilapia to the mix in the next 6 months or so.  Even though I've never raise Tilapia before, I had a fish breeding business and raised thousands of freshwater angel fish so I expect the process is be very similar.   We listen to the podcast every day and participate on the Zello channel once in a while (most of the time I just listen :)). 

Ok, the I in front of every sentence is bugging me so I'll just give a list of relevant hobbies:

HAM
Automation (Arduino platform)
Electronics
Aquaculture
Hand Loading
Bullet Casting
Leather working
Archery
Shooting (rifle/handgun/archery)
Programming (Web, Applications, mobile)
Numerical analysis/Computer simulations
Experimentation/Statistical analysis

Anyway, I look forward to participating on this exciting community.

Cheers

Offline KB9

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Citizen's Radio Guide
« Reply #5766 on: December 28, 2012, 08:59:03 AM »
Hello All,
Just joined the forum today after noticing a link from here pointing to one of our blogs.

Hopefully I can spend some more time looking around at the outstanding collection of information here.
Self-reliance and disaster preparedness is a creed in our family and has been since the 70s!

Great site, I appreciate the chance to register!

Offline Gator 3-7

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5767 on: December 29, 2012, 07:56:21 AM »
Hi, signed up today.  My wife and I are both retired Army, she was transporation and I was Infantry.  We have been prepping for a while now.  We have 4 sons, and two are into prepping as well.  We hope to expand our knowledge and share what we know with everyone.  We are in Texas.

Offline flip1ky

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5768 on: December 29, 2012, 04:55:35 PM »
Hello all,
     I have been prepping for 20 years +, I started in the FL after some hurricanes. At the peak of my preps (around the time of hurricane Opal)  I had enough food for a bit over a year for my family of 5 + my parents that lived close by. Fortunately it was able to save my rear over a few dozen times in the past. Unfortunately I became complacent and didn’t continue adding supplies to our prepping.

Several years ago my wife became very ill and was forced to quit working. A few years later I became under-employed and over the past few years we used almost all our preps to ‘get by’. Late summer my heart decided to take a break and I landed out of work for over a month, I made the mistake of going in for a couple meetings so come time to take advantage of my short term disability I learned I had really messed up going in because by going in. I made it impossible to file the claim. Several months ago the company I work for merged again and come payday there was no check(it was delayed over a week). I was forced to open the last food pack (a pelican type case about 15”x2’x3’) I then realized my ‘preps’ had saved our butts again but by not restocking every payday I had let my family fall to the danger zone. 3 times over the last few months this was the story payday comes and no check and we dip again into preps. Christmas time I had planned to use my bonus to restock my preps. Again a shocker when the payday prior to Christmas the manager came passing out checks and the word that even though for the last 7 years every Christmas we got a bonus ranging from over a month of pay down to 2 weeks at the lowest point this year even though we had one of our better years upper management had decided to cut out our bonuses ( I assume to give their bonuses a strong bump). 

A long time listener during the “comedy of errors” I started hearing about 13 skills when it opened I signed up for 13 skills and set my goals, after the above I am really considering changing up my choices. While I am back on track to add to the preps, I warn all you here do not allow yourself to get to the point of feeling secure, then stop the learning or allow it to drift down to becoming a low priority! Keep prepping even when you reach your goals! Move the bar a bit higher, you never know when life will toss you something you have no control of and once it does life has a way of repeating the challenge again. Another example of that: my daily driver had a transmission go out a bit over $900.00  to replace it. With much regret I decided to let some guns go as a temporary solution. No sooner than the car went to the shop for 2 weeks my jeep dropped its transfer case. Always plan for the worse thing you can think of the multiply it by 2 or 3.

Enough negatives – Getting back on track: I reduced my 401k contributions to the lowest amount possible and am working on a plan to effectively use the additional funds to get the food storage back on track.  I have taken a 2nd part time job to replace the missing firearms. I have been able to increase my “need” at my main job to allow for a crazy amount of overtime. We dropped all non-essential services Cable TV, Internet (for almost a year- Now Its restored as I can get more than enough OT working from home to cover it), Home phone, eating out, fast food and so on. While everyone dropped some comforts it seems it has made us a stronger family, closer together more aware of our usages. I plan on bugging everyone in the family to sign up and pick 13 skills then as I have learned the best way to learn it to teach, so each person can teach their 13 to the rest of the family. While we don’t need to master each other’s 13 it will let us know what the others are doing and in a pinch hopefully we will retain enough to use the skill as a basic skill.  That should add 65 skills to each person over the next 12 months. I plan to post our choices and progress but initially we plan to add chickens, rabbits, winter garden, increase our spring – fall existing garden output by 100%, Archery, expand our hunting base, foraging, just to name a few.

Happy prepping and I hope at least one person will remember this if / when they think they are secure enough to stop adding to their own preps!

Flip

Offline dan12000

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5769 on: December 29, 2012, 07:19:40 PM »
 Hi my name is Danny and i'm originally from missouri but now live in wyoming for the mean time. I have a wife and 3 kids  14,11 and 9. we are moving back to arkansas or missouri cause everything is soooooooooooo expensive here in casper wy. and i just love the south. I guess i have been a prepper all my life i was raised on a farm in southeast missouri we raised chickens, rabbits, hogs, and ducks. we cut firewood for the stove and we had about 1/2 and acre garden and we farmed 120 acers to feed our animals. always fixing fence, trapping, chores and my mother and father use to can all the garden food. I just wanted to say thanks to jack spirko for bringing me back to my roots of living, i really enjoyed that part of my life im now 43years old but i see how bad this world is getting and i think that i have alot of work ahead of me but, we can do it i am a certified welder by trade and am wanting to find a decent job in the hot springs or springdale area. I lived in harrison for a couple of years in the 90s and really loved it down there. we are wanting to move around may 2013 so if anyone no's of any decent land for sale down around there and a job for me and my wife, she works as an accounting assistant. I have listen to probably 1000 episodes of thesurvivalpodcast and love it. I am an msb member and i just want to say hi and like to get to know some people for arkansas area and missouri. We are a christian family looking for a better life if times get tough or even if they dont. Have a wonderful and blessed day. God bless  Danny and family

Offline uncfblog

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5770 on: December 29, 2012, 10:47:36 PM »
Hello All,

Been listening to the podcast for about a year and finally made it to the forums.  Currently obsessed with Permaculture and trying to keep my head above water in all other areas.  I know I am not the only one that feels overwhelmed at times trying to prep and live at the same time.

James

Offline welder1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5771 on: December 30, 2012, 08:40:54 PM »
Greetings all,

I found this place from a posting on a local forum and am interested in setting up ham radio.
Lived in Idaho all 55 years except 3 years in the army and a few short term jobs in Texas and Florada.
Born and raised on a dairy farm and now own a fishing lure company.
Hope to be more informed as to ham radios.

Happy New Year

Offline NCFreedom

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5772 on: January 01, 2013, 04:50:43 AM »
Happy New Year!
We live in Dallas, NC and are just starting our prepping journey.  I am married and have a 2 year old little girl.   My retired mother lives with us also.  We have basically just gotten our toes wet and it is intimidating when you are this unprepared and living on little to nothing as it is.  But,  we have started and we just need to make our basic outline and keep cycling through.  It is great to find a community like this that is so full of knowledge and encouragement.  Thanks to Jack and the whole TSP community for the inspiration to stick with it.
God Bless,
NCFreedom
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
Colossians 3:23-24

Offline ScottyK

• Prepper
  • "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore..."
« Reply #5773 on: January 01, 2013, 04:21:21 PM »
Greetings from Oklahoma!

This has certainly been a busy 2012 for me. Last year at this time I was fat, dumb and happy - thinking all was well in the world, and our gov leaders surely had our best interests in heart.

Then the book, "One Second After" caught my eye at the bookstore, and decided to give it a read. I spent many a sleepless nights after reading that book.

I started to read other books, and soon realized just how fragile the entire system is,

Most of last year I was confident that this country wouldn't reelect Obama, and after the elections we could get this country back on course.

Once Nov 6 came and went, I realized for the first time that I'm now in the minority of this country. My values and beliefs are no longer shared with the "mainstream".

At church Sunday I got the idea to plot out what I wanted to do and grow in 2013. Last night I discover the "13 in 13" website, and thought it was perfect.

Today I discover this forum via the 13 in 13 website. Just now I made the connection that the book I'm currently reading, "299 Days, The Preparation" mentions the very same podcast here.

So in a nutshell that's how I ended up here.

About me - I'm originally from Denver, Colorado, but Oklahoma has been my home since 2001. I've got 19 years in the USAF/ANG working in the munitions career field, and even though I'm eligible for retirement next year, I'm going to stick with it for a while longer. It's a steady job, and I get to blow stuff up! :)

I'm married with four kids, and my oldest just had her first baby, so I've been a new grandfather for about a month now. My other three children are elementary age, and we've homeschooled them ever since they were in pre-K. Oklahoma has THE best laws for homeschooling of the 50 states, so we're going to definitely stick with this.

I'm a big computer geek, and I LOVE messing around with hardware. Linux is my preferred operating system, and I'm STILL trying to get the wife to switch from Windows!

When I first started to get interested in the prepping movement, I was pretty depressed that I couldn't afford everything like 4x4 trucks, completely stocked bug out cabins, or 400 years of food. Only recently have I realized that it's more important to focus on what I can do now, even if it's just a little each week.

One of my short term goals is to purchase my very first handgun. As big of a computer geek as I am, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to weapons. But I do want to get a concealed weapons permit soon also.

If you're in the Oklahoma City area, give me a shout! It would be great to meet others with the same values.

Offline Prep pal

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5774 on: January 01, 2013, 05:46:40 PM »
Hello all, my name is Steve and I live in CT. I have only recently been into prepping and in fact ( I almost feel stupid for saying it) I got into it from watching the show.

I joined the forum to learn about food storage, emergency medical treatment, survival skills etc...
But really, I would hope to meet other like minded people in my area so as to maybe become part of a network. When I try to get friends and family involved, they all look at me like I'm clinically insane, to which I respond " failing to plan is planning to fail ".
 I don't have a BOB because I plan to bug in, however after reading a few threads i figure I will end up putting one together.

I plan on learning a lot here and hope to meet others close to me, I am all ears on anything you think I should know or where to start so thanks in advance!!!

Offline WildChild

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5775 on: January 02, 2013, 01:03:51 AM »
Hello,

My name is Mark and I live in the Pacific Northwest, married, father of two, 24 years military service, now working in emergency management.

Grew up in the country and have had a preparedness mindset all my life - just a lot more focused nowadays.

Ended up here on a link to the 299 Days series (on the third book now).

Always looking to learn about and share experiences in preparedness.

God Bless All and Happy New Year!

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #5776 on: January 02, 2013, 07:37:19 AM »
Welcome all new members. Glad you all can join us here.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5777 on: January 02, 2013, 10:56:03 AM »
Welcome aboard to all the new friends.
"Never give in! Never give in! Never, never, never, never -- in nothing great or small, large or petty. Never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense."   
- Winston Churchill

Ya Better Hold Fast!

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Not a tactical baddass
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #5778 on: January 03, 2013, 08:49:13 AM »
Hello everyone!I'm Aron.I'm new to this website and not sure how to use everything yet.I'm just crazy anything talk about thesurvivalpodcast!

the site is pretty straightforward (at least i think so) so you'll probably get the hang of it pretty quick.

welcome to all the new people!

Mai Thai Coffee - Coffee With a Mission - MSB members get 10% off everything! www.maithaicoffee.com

Want to win free coffee? New contest in The Swap Meet board every month. Check out the current one here.

We work directly with the Thai farmers who grow our coffee. We have a great video that shows the process of getting our coffee From Seed to Cup

Offline The Resident Misanthrope

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5779 on: January 03, 2013, 10:29:22 AM »
New guy here. Just wanna say that you're all doing the right thing. This whole ensemble is just, and I'm glad that it's here. I was reading the thread about some secret identifier and I'm in-favour of one. But that's a different topic.

You don't need to hear this from me, but you're not crazy! Keep doing what you're doing, and keep doin' it well. Hope to see some of you around the forums!
Am I supposed to put a quote here like everybody else?

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #5780 on: January 04, 2013, 12:35:41 PM »
Hi all
New here but interested in everything.  I have been listening for a while :)
I am a single mom who works too much and is also running a small farm.

Hello,

Where in Alaska do you live? I live in Fairbanks. There are not very many Alaska posters here, and it is nice to see one pop up every now and then.

Offline MaryKPeep

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Flew the coop to morthern Idaho
    • KahnVurj
« Reply #5781 on: January 04, 2013, 05:50:02 PM »
HOWDY! This is my first forum, ever!  Looks like I picked a good one to lose my virginity to ????.  Jack took my question in today's show ( where online to list our Prepper Property For Sale).  Thought I'd join the forum to later promote our place in northern Idaho FSBO and also read what other like minded peeps are up to.
~mary
Kahnvurj.me
Mary K. Peep ????

Offline Shrekfingers

• Survivor
  • Been there, done that, have the T-shirt
« Reply #5782 on: January 05, 2013, 12:54:49 PM »
Greetings,

Newby to site as well as the preparedness " life style", I hate to be called a "prepper" but I guess that's the term they use these days.
I'm Michael, a retired cop in Dayton Ohio area, got out in 2006 and happy I did. Not liking the direction LE is taking theses days both in the new hires attitudes and the coming very likely confrontations with LE. I am and always was a great supporter of all legal citizens right to be armed both concealed and open.

About my screen name, it comes up in every forum, how it came to be.. well My wife kept asking me to fasten these small neckless and bracelet clasps and finally I said" I can't do it with these shrekfingers" and it stuck. I also have a passion for the guitar and thought .....hey what a cool blues name ...:)

Well that's me , look forward to gleaning much info in the survival and preparedness area.

Offline dswaim

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5783 on: January 05, 2013, 01:11:27 PM »
Howdy! My name is Dustin, and live on 50 acres in NE TX. I am married w/ 2 kiddos & another one on the way! I work in sports medicine & the wife works part time at the local MDO.  I too am new to the forum & "prepper" lifestyle. So far the forum has been great! I am really learning a lot from the podcasts & conversations here! Thanks!

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #5784 on: January 05, 2013, 01:20:50 PM »
Greetings,

Newby to site as well as the preparedness " life style", I hate to be called a "prepper" but I guess that's the term they use these days.
I'm Michael, a retired cop in Dayton Ohio area, got out in 2006 and happy I did. Not liking the direction LE is taking theses days both in the new hires attitudes and the coming very likely confrontations with LE. I am and always was a great supporter of all legal citizens right to be armed both concealed and open.

About my screen name, it comes up in every forum, how it came to be.. well My wife kept asking me to fasten these small neckless and bracelet clasps and finally I said" I can't do it with these shrekfingers" and it stuck. I also have a passion for the guitar and thought .....hey what a cool blues name ...:)

Well that's me , look forward to gleaning much info in the survival and preparedness area.

Welcome.... just a wee bit south of you.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #5785 on: January 05, 2013, 02:19:46 PM »
Greetings to all the new members!

...Jack took my question in today's show ( where online to list our Prepper Property For Sale).  Thought I'd join the forum to later promote our place in northern Idaho FSBO and also read what other like minded peeps are up to. ...

Welcome, Mary!  Jack gave some incomplete information about our Swap Meet board on the show.  As he said, you have to make at least 10 posts before you will see the Swap Meet.  At this point you can read Swap Meet posts and reply to them.  But we have a much larger minimum number of posts before you can actually put something up for sale there.  (It's our practice to keep this number secret, but regular participants on the forum will reach the magic number pretty rapidly.)

Hope that clarifies things!

Offline DeltaSambo

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5786 on: January 05, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »
Hello all!  This is the first blog I've ever been a part of and I look forward to learning many valuable things from you veterans.  I'm more of a "prepper" than your average Joe, but really feel the need to put together a comprehensive plan for my family (no kids yet but nieces and nephews nearby).  I'm near Nashville TN and would like to know if there are any other like-minded people around here who get together to discuss strategy, tactics, etc.

Thanks for the hospitality and I look forward to talking with you all.

Offline Theswerd

• Repeat after me...
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5787 on: January 05, 2013, 05:50:30 PM »
Howdy, folks.

I have been listening to the podcast for about a week now, and I figured if I have questions this would be a good place to ask.
I am in central Texas, snug between San Antonio and Austin. I am what I think of as an "experienced user" with computers, and I work on a technical help desk at a corporate office. The company sells lumber, which is nice since even in economic down turns someone will always need a board, so I will likely hold a job longer than others in a bad economy. That said... Boss and I kinda got into yesterday over economics ("I think it's gonna be a good year this year." "Well, I hope you're right, boss." "What makes you think it won't be?" Sigh.) and politics ("I don't see why people need a big magazine to go hunting." "It's not FOR hunting, boss." "Than you don't need it. Why would you?" "... To protect against a tyrannical government. Like in the revolutionary war." "That'll never happen again. I say ban 'em." Sigh.). I can see the signs that thinks can't just keep on keepin' on. I don't see how he can miss it. Oh well.

Mom actually got me into the prepping mode. I had kinda been thinking on it, but never made any motion. Mom somehow got the bug in her (probably read a book or something, I forget) and it spread. She just got a canner today, and is gleefully canning meat. Dad and my sister will be starting a garden come spring, and they have planted some fruit trees and bushes. We are stocking up food, finding tools to keep it rotated, etc...

A year ago I would not have called this change in our lives. Now... Man, I hope I have time to get a good start on my preps.

Anyway. My big challenge is that I live in an apt, and my vehicle is down. Dad should be up next pay check to help try and work on it... but... I am not even sure what is wrong with it, and I can't afford to put it in the shop. And as far as I live from the rest of my family, Walking home would take weeks, maybe a month. Or longer. (Did I mention I am looking for a good B.O.B.? And tent? And a water filter... and... and...) I really do not want to be in this town when things go to pot. :/

Anyway. I will likely be around, posting newb questions or just nosing around. Thought I would say "Hi," first.

Theswerd.
My life, my fortune, My Sacred Honor.

Offline ScottyK

• Prepper
  • "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore..."
« Reply #5788 on: January 05, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »
I really do not want to be in this town when things go to pot. :/

Theswerd.

Greetings from Oklahoma! I hear you about not wanting to be around the Austin area. We have plenty of land up here, if you can get past that whole OU/TX Football thing!

Offline Gene.243

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5789 on: January 05, 2013, 06:14:40 PM »
Hi,
My name is Gene and I'm a natural prepper.  Just didn't know what to call it.  Live in SW Oklahoma.  Retired after 20 years as a jet engine mechanic for the USAF.  Married with two sons one married and the other in his last year of college our 30 year anniversary is coming up.  My wife is on board with whatever I want to do. When the ice storm of 2010 hit here we already had a generator to power the house.  Our town was out of power for a week, it was no big deal here.  I'm looking foreward to conversations with like minded people.
Gene