Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 566316 times)

Offline rmoeggy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Learning Self Reliance
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #5850 on: January 19, 2013, 09:44:13 AM »
Ryan from central Oregon here. Would like to hear from others in my area. I am trying to meet people I can learn from and maybe do some bartering. Email is in my profile.
Like hearing from people in central Oregon.

Offline underhill

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #5851 on: January 20, 2013, 12:16:02 AM »
Hi everyone.

I'm located in So Cal at the moment, learning as I go.  I'm a power supply engineer and a ham radio operator, so I suppose I'm a bit of a techie.  I do enjoy getting outdoors and practicing some of the more primitive skills our ancestors lived by - the high tech of it's time.

Underhill

Offline The Business End

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #5852 on: January 20, 2013, 02:28:10 PM »
Hello fellow listeners - my name is Ben.  I'm 31 and live in Mesa, AZ with my wife, our two-year-old son, three cats and six chickens.  I drive local delivery for a nationwide battery company.
My wife and I have both been interested in preparedness, as she grew up in the LDS church and I've always been drawn to a more solitary, basic sort of life(which necessitates preparedness, food storage, general self-reliance etc.).  I found TSP in late 2009 after growing bored with talk radio - at the time I had many driving hours each day to fill - I enjoyed Dennis Prager and Glenn Beck(back when he talked about politics and economics, before he turned into a comedy-variety show) but there found only problems with the world, not solutions for individuals.  I thought it would be fun to indulge in some escapism, so I searched the web for "survival podcast", hoping for some discussion off-grid living, hunting and the like, and maybe some fun tin-foil-hattery here and there.  Well, TSP is what I found, and listening to Jack(and the many call-in participants and emailers) has shown me that it's NORMAL to want the things I want, that I'm not alone, and that the kind of life we want is attainable.  I have been listening since then, often share shows with my wife, and joined MSB some months ago.  My son knows "Uncle Jack"'s voice when he hears a podcast :)

My wife and I had both decided a few years after we married, probably 2006, that we wanted to work toward a slower-paced sort of life.  We wanted to have animals, land, our own water and ability to produce some of what we use.  We began to research different parts of the country, as Arizona has eight months of lovely weather but brutal summers, and it's hard to find anywhere to live that isn't either expensive or urban/suburban.  She'd fallen in love with the beauty of New England when we went East for her to meet some family of mine, but she's an Arizona girl and would never be able to handle the winters, and I... well, I don't want to live anywhere with entrenched big government as is in most of the Northeast.  We have narrowed our search to rural Missouri, Utah, or possibly New Hampshire if I could talk the other half into it(the FSP attracts me as well).

Anyway, we are doing all we can to be ants in the here and now.  We are cutting expenditures, paying down debts(we have a very small house payment because we bought a very small house, but have some credit card debt because of necessary repairs, as it was a foreclosure and had been abandoned for at least a year), learning to do more for ourselves, and finding creative ways to build up food storage and use more whole foods in our cooking.

That's quite a bit to put into an introduction, but it's a good start to why I'm here.  I expect to contribute much in the firearms board, as well as documenting small DIY projects in other areas and participating in general self-reliance discussions.  I also plan to get into CB and amateur radio in the near future.

I look forward to good times here!

- Ben

Offline CopperKnight

• Survivor
  • A protective shell is sometimes open space.
    • Survival WWYD
« Reply #5853 on: January 20, 2013, 02:57:58 PM »
Excellent intro, Ben.  Welcome to the forum. 
eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns.

A friend and my blog: http://survivalwwyd.blogspot.com/

Offline Sunnylandcamper

• Prepper
  • Ready to Bugout
« Reply #5854 on: January 21, 2013, 03:02:01 AM »
Sunnylandcamper here from Illinois...42 male widow been into this type of thing for many years. I have started to look for land out of this poopy state....I am also a Mettup Organizer for American Prepper Network here in Peoria. Times are changing and its time to get your sh&t together...I have checked Jacks show out several times and like the way he thinks......
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."- DR Seuss
http://www.meetup.com/PeoriaPreppers/

Offline poppy926

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5855 on: January 21, 2013, 07:50:18 AM »
Hi my name is James and I am, whoops sorry that another forum. Anyway I have been listening to the podcast for about a month and just getting started "prepping" because it was just overwhelming. Thanks jack for the podcast, I have started with the double can method and am on my way to being better prepared.

James

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5856 on: January 21, 2013, 08:20:39 AM »
Sunnylandcamper here from Illinois...42 male widow been into this type of thing for many years. I have started to look for land out of this poopy state....I am also a Mettup Organizer for American Prepper Network here in Peoria. Times are changing and its time to get your sh&t together...I have checked Jacks show out several times and like the way he thinks......

Refugees are always welcome in Indiana! Welcome to the forum!
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline trespassingproductions

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5857 on: January 21, 2013, 01:13:10 PM »
Hi guys,

My name is Reece, I live in Los Angeles, work in the entertainment industry, I am 23, have a serious girlfriend, and I have been prepping for 4 years.  I started listening to TSP in 2011 and then stopped, but I have picked it up again and have been ctaching up for the last 4 months.

Offline frjoeb

• Survivor
  • Learning the common sense of Grandma and Grandpa
    • St. Augustine Outdoorsman
« Reply #5858 on: January 22, 2013, 01:55:06 PM »
Welcome to all our new folks. 

Offline glauser

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5859 on: January 22, 2013, 04:41:34 PM »
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and would love to connect with any preppers out there. Please drop me a line if this is you. cheers, H

heidiglauser09@gmail.com

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #5860 on: January 22, 2013, 04:52:34 PM »
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and would love to connect with any preppers out there. Please drop me a line if this is you. cheers, H

Hi glauser and welcome. Pretty much all preppers here. All 11,000 ish if us.  ;)

Just an FYI I wouldn't use your full email on posts as it can be grabbed by he spambot a easier. Might try for example me-at-mail.com we will get what you mean.

None here would do it but there are automated searches that can grab it.

Great bunch of folks in here so poke around the threads and check out what region you are in.

www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline Elkhorn

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5861 on: January 22, 2013, 07:49:03 PM »
Hi all,
Great to be here!
My name is Sean, I’m 37, live in the greater Seattle area with my wife and dog.
I’ve lived on the West coast my entire life i.e. earthquake country, and since 2003 Ive lived in the greater Seattle area- earthquake AND volcano country.
I lived through the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake in Northern California and several strong storms up here in the Pacific Northwest, and have seen firsthand how it pays to be prepared since depending on the government is pointless, sorry, but it is.

I am a IT Engineer and being prepared for the worst and responding to these emergencies runs in my line of work (drives failing, networks crashing, CEO emails missing at 4am. etc...) .
When I’m not saving my users at work from themselves , I enjoy being outside…..from golf to boating to hunting.

I thought I knew something about preparedness, but then I found Jack's podcast, and that has opened me up to so many different ways of thinking as it pertains to preparedness. I really appreciate all he does and offers to the preparedness community.

Again, its good to be here and I look forward to talking to folks in the community,
Sean

Offline Prodigy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5862 on: January 23, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »
Hello fellow TSPers,

Joe from SE Wisconsin here.  My situation is pretty similar to Sean who posted right before me.  I'm in IT, have a wife, one 3 year old, and another on the way.  I have a long way to go in my preps, but then again it is (or at least should be) a way of life, rather than a specific goal.

I look forward to learning from and talking to such a knowledgeable community!

Offline SVFBrett

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Follow Our Farm on FaceBook :-)
« Reply #5863 on: January 23, 2013, 08:01:04 PM »
Hey All,
I'm Brett and I just realized I have yet to post an intro post here.  I've been listening to the podcast since the roadrage + Mic days and been lurking the forums on and off for a few years.  I grew up in TX, went to UT, was in the Army for 9 years, did 2 tours in Iraq and was medically retired after my second.  I moved from Ft. Hood Texas to Pittsburgh, PA in 2009 and started Serenity Valley Farm, a Certified Naturally Grown Market Garden (mixed veg and pastured poultry) in 2010.  In 2012 I was picked as one of the 2012 Farmer Veteran Coalition Fellows and am very excited to be associated with that organization.  After the 2012 growing season we decided to move north to the Buffalo, NY area to be closer to my wife's family and we are in the process of buying a new farm to begin growing clean healthy local food for the people of WNY.  Look for us on FB at Serenity Valley Farm and on the ag section of this forum.  If you have any questions feel free to ask :-)  "Resistance is Fertile"
Certified Naturally Grown Mixed Vegetable Farmer

Offline Turnandshoot4

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5864 on: January 23, 2013, 09:01:23 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've been listening to Jack for a year now and I really like what direction it has my family going.  Currently we do quite a bit of gardening and we are looking into expanding our food production.  Here in northwest Indiana it can play hell on the plants. 

I'm a competitive shooter, outdoors man, and medical guy at heart.

Thanks for a great forum.  I'll be poking around here for a while.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #5865 on: January 23, 2013, 09:18:59 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've been listening to Jack for a year now and I really like what direction it has my family going.  Currently we do quite a bit of gardening and we are looking into expanding our food production.  Here in northwest Indiana it can play hell on the plants. 

I'm a competitive shooter, outdoors man, and medical guy at heart.

Thanks for a great forum.  I'll be poking around here for a while.

Welcome! Fellow Hoosier here too. Click on the link in my signature for some prepper meeting here in Indiana. Also head over to the regional boards for local info.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline Turnandshoot4

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5866 on: January 23, 2013, 09:27:32 PM »
Thanks!  I'll check it out.

Actually I just joined up on facebook.  Thank you for the link!

Offline dixieprepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5867 on: January 23, 2013, 10:11:20 PM »
hey y'all I'm dixie. I live in Indiana and have a full time job.  Having grown up in the country, was always taught to be self sufficient, prepared for whatever, and how to survive and work to make my way.  always been outdoorsy, I remember being surprised when I went to town as a  youngster found out most people bought their groceries at the store, and what they cost. Guess it never occurred to me that some people don't know where their food comes from. 

I guess 9-11-01 was when I finally faced up to what I already knew;  the world as I knew itchanged drastically that day in the near future. Either a natural disaster or a man made one will occur within my lifetime.  I didn't really start ernestly prepping then though, just took a few precautions like stocking extra groceries as a hedge against inflation, and tried to have a little cash on hand, basic first aid supplies, basic home defense, flashlight, tools, etc.  Basically, being prepared like any country person would do, but not really giving it any thought. 

So January 2009 when a giant ice storm pretty much knocked out power to the entire state of KY, where I was living at the time, we weren't as bad off as most people.  for the first two days, we had no cell coverage, we didn't have a land line, and there were power lines down between our house and the 5 miles to the state highway.  We heard on the battery powered radio that the local authorities wanted everyone to stay home so they could assess the damage.  We didn't mind, we just split wood and stacked it, living like we were camping in the cold. The power was out for 18 days, and our house was all electric.  I found myself stocked well with food, had a propane camp stove and fuel and a wood stove with plenty of wood so I could cook,  but I had too little oil for my oil lamps, not enough candles,  and no heat source in the house.  We couldn't buy a generator, kerosene heater, or any other supplies within 2 days of the ice storm because the stores were sold out due to all the people that had prepared nothing for an emergency needing stuff.  Didn't matter for most folks, there was no way to use debit cards to buy them if they were available. 

After a few days, we finally got a call out to some friends who lived 4 hours away to let them know we were ok, and they suggested if we could get out and drive up there, they would loan us a generator and kerosene heater to help us get through.  My husband dropped me off at work in town 25 miles from home and drove up there and back in time to pick me up when I got off work that evening.  For the next 15 days, we used the generator to keep the freezer and fridge running about 8 hours a day, heated water on top of the kerosene heaters to bathe, and kept the house warm enough at night with kerosene to keep the pipes from freezing and allow us to sleep comfortably. We were on city water even that far out, so we had water the whole time, fortunately.

That ice storem taught me alot. We learned some things then, and I guess that's what got me really starting to think about what we could have done better. I guess you could say I started taking note of what my hindsight could see.  The things we wished we had during that 18 days I have since found a way to make sure we would have if it happened again.  The things we really didn't use that I thought would be important I have eliminated.

For me, being prepared is about what MY family needs to survive, not what anyone else thinks they need or what they might think I need.  I know my abilities, and those of my family members, and I know our likes, dislikes, and the things that make us comfortable.  My goal for prepping is to provide water, food, shelter, and security for my family, and nothing else.  I don't care if the rest of the world goes to hell in a handbasket, but foe me and mine, we will be as ok as we can make each other based on the sustainable lifestyle we try to lead. 

Good luck to everyone else, and thank you kind and generous souls willing to share some of your knowledge with those of us less informed folks.  I've learned much here and hope to enjoy your company more in the coming days. 

dixieprepper 

Offline Halfbreed Mike

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5868 on: January 24, 2013, 01:18:00 AM »
Halfbreed Mike. I've been listening to Jack since he was in the car. Sent in a story once. Decided its time for me to get more involved with like minded people. Still haven't quoted grasped everything but I'm trying.
If you're not ready to die for it, put the word 'Freedom' out of your vocabulary. - Malcolm X

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #5869 on: January 24, 2013, 07:39:39 AM »
Welcome to the TSPF everyone! We're glad you made it!

Offline phil3562

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5870 on: January 24, 2013, 12:43:49 PM »
Hello
Phil from Elyria Ohio I am 40 years old married with four children new to the movement and so thankfull for finding this site and pod cast
look forward to learning and pas some of my knowledge on I am currently out of work but working towards getting my CDL Class A license and begin driving for a living

Offline pi_cube

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5871 on: January 24, 2013, 02:14:57 PM »
Hello everyone.  I am Pauly.  Great site!

Offline beakerello

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5872 on: January 24, 2013, 08:03:30 PM »
I'm a newbie here. I just started listening to the podcast last week or maybe the week before. I've listen to all of the ones on Itunes, and am working on downloading the earlier episodes 1-300 or something like that. I listen to my Ipod at work, it's allowed. I live in Sand Springs, OK. I have kids and a wife. I prepare for what is most likely.

Offline Heisenberg

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5873 on: January 25, 2013, 06:12:33 AM »
Hi all, posted for the first time yesterday and forgot to drop by this thread.  I started (seriously) prepping about a year ago and podcasts were one of my main sources of guidance.  I listened to handful of them in the beginning but pretty much decided on TSP as being the best and most comprehensive.  I was already a comparison shopper, coupon user, and firm believer in the economics of buying in bulk, so I was off to a good start - prepping just helped me further by teaching me about storage and rotation strategy.

I admittedly live in one of the worst places in the country for disaster potential - we are 25 miles outside of D.C.  The pandemonium caused by inclement weather would be incomprehensible to most folks here.  My family lives here at the present time for economic reasons - my wife and I both have degrees in subjects that spell DOOM for the majority of college grads nowadays, but we both have been able to secure stable careers with good salaries and an uncommon level of flexibility, presumably due to the fact that we entered the job market 12 years ago.  Right now we are in the process of paying off our vehicles and renovating our home one room at a time.

I enjoy less-than-mainstream sports (indoor lacrosse, weightlifting, shooting clays) and am also an amateur reptile breeder.  I've been keeping reptiles 10 years and decided to turn it into a hobby business.  Nice to meet everyone!

Offline anteau

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #5874 on: January 25, 2013, 11:59:53 AM »
Senior Telecom guy living in Amsterdam at the moment but soon to come home to the US after 15 years abroad, Have a wife and two great Girls. Looking to move to a nice 20 acre piece not more than 2 hours from Seattle. Jack has greatly inspired me these 2.5 years and I am now very much a prepper

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5875 on: January 25, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »
Welcome to all the new people!!   

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline lakestral

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5876 on: January 26, 2013, 09:57:24 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Melissa. I am just starting with prepping, so am a newbee at it. I do have a Mormon background so I know a little bit about it, but I drifted away from them. My parents did always have buckets full of food in our basement of dried good and my mom made me help with canning preparation (hated it, so blocked out that knowledge).
I am currently contracting overseas, so can't do much from here except order items and send them home, but my husband isn't too interested. Hopefully when I finish this contract, I can get him onboard. Currently we are only storing rice, dried beans and canned goods. When I get back I will start dehydrating again, these foods never last tho as everyone treats them like candy.
I really need to revamp my garage and attic as it is a nightmare of organization. I just wish it was climate controlled, but its not. I do have some camping, fishing, etc items, but need to organize them into a bug out/in and car kit.

Offline canadon

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5877 on: January 27, 2013, 12:37:35 AM »
canadon here, decided about six months ago that I wanted to become much more self reliant (although I wasn't thinking in those terms, it's certainly expresses what I feel I'm lacking).
  As this is my year of accomplishment on that front this seemed like a great way to get started. So, hello everyone!

Offline tableburner

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5878 on: January 28, 2013, 07:16:31 AM »
Good morning all, from the Great White North. 
I'm a new "formal" prepper but I have been prepping on a personal level since I put on my first uniform as a kid (Scouting movement) I'm an ex navy shipwright and now earn my living as a marine mechanic. Linked onto the podcast from another board and have really enjoyed the wealth of knowledge that Jack offers up every day.

--Seamus--
"today's mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"
--Seamus--
"Today's mighty, oak is just yesterdays nut that hels it's ground"

Offline sampson

• Prepper
  • Lucky husband, proud father.
« Reply #5879 on: January 28, 2013, 05:24:19 PM »
Hey all.
I go by Sampson here. First time on the forum.
I live in San Francisco with my wife and two sons who just turned 4 and 5. I'm a credentialed teacher looking for work and currently working as a substitute teacher and part time landscaper (my previous trade). I've been listening to TSP since the interview with a guy named Gregory ( I think), about the imminent economic collapse. That podcast completely freaked me out and hooked me to the podcast at the same time. I have calmed down since then, and begun to take baby steps in prepping  and preparedness. However, we don't have much money to throw into anything major, like the 10/22 or Mossberg that I want, but we grab a few extra cans of food when we shop, I found a bag I can use for my BOB and I'm putting together a few first aid kits. I'm glad to be here and hope to become part of the community and perhaps find some other members here in The City.
Thanks,
Sampson
All the best,

Sampson

Love your country. Suspect your government. Prepare. Resist.
Live to learn. Learn to live.