Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 550014 times)

Offline steeljaw

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #5880 on: January 28, 2013, 06:17:49 PM »
Hello all.  I'm a former Navy guy (currently a programmer) who's relatively new to prepping (since the near-meltdown in '08).  I thoroughly enjoy Jack's input (as well as others, particularly SH).  I got here by way of a friend who is also a member.  Felt like I needed to support this work, so here I am.  My preoccupation right now is creating a battery backup system.  Next up is gardening, as soon as I figure out what a "vegetable" is, not to mention a "vegetable seed".

Offline Mama Bear

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5881 on: January 29, 2013, 07:59:48 PM »
Hi I'm Mama Bear,

I am relatively new to formal prepping, but kinda have always been a petite prepper. I originally hail from the great NW. Preps have seen myself and family through tornadoes, blizzards, gales, and prolonged power outages as a child. Now as a mother, I prep like my parents did for me--though I am doing it on much larger scale.

I do need a bit of guidance though, Perhaps the community can help? I prep my home so my husband and babies will be well taken care of in petite-SHTF or grande-SHTF event. I am struggling on how to prep my car for a 30 day period away from home for myself. I already have a 72 hrs BOB in my car. The challenge is that I work as an Emergency Room RN, so in the event of a SHTF event occurs, I cannot nor could I morally do so, abandon my pts or my community when needed.

I am sort of treating my SUV as if it were a desert location. I am near the ocean but not near fresh water. I carry a flat of bottled water plus and extra 3 gallons of water in my car at all times. I imagine that will not last though. I think  I can double boil sea water and capture the steam for fresh water and then run it through a filter? Thoughts?

For food I have MREs, datex bars, and some dehydrated food. I am not really counting on the hospital to have a sufficient supply. I also have some vitamins

Sanitation: Ideas please. Prep for this or hope the hospital has a means to manage waste?

Security: No measures as of yet. Cannot bring firearms to the hosp. I am think maybe some pepperspray?

I welcome any feedback and look forward to reading the posts.

Mahalo,

Mama Bear

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." --Mark Twain 1904

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #5882 on: January 29, 2013, 08:15:03 PM »
Welcome to the TSP forums, Mama Bear.

It would be better to start a thread with your questions in the Emergency Preparations section. We generally only allow quick intro and welcome posts in this section.

Offline Mama Bear

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5883 on: January 29, 2013, 11:06:55 PM »
Thanks! I will. :-)
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." --Mark Twain 1904

Offline FreddieTeague

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5884 on: January 30, 2013, 09:09:53 PM »
Good day all of you wonderful TSP-ers!

First, I would to express my extensive gratitude for all of the information and resources this website has provided for me to able to access goals and mentality and preparedness for my family.
Like all of you, my family is top priority and the utmost provision and protection I am able to provide to them is my duty and my honor.
So thank you!

About me:
I am a husband for the last 5 1/2 years and have 2 boys. (Oldest almost 3 years and youngest 3 months)
Hunting, fishing, camping, and hard work have been a part of my entire life.

I am someone who never gave a second thought to the potential future of our modern day. Upon listening to a few podcasts by Jack had put me in a place of realization that I am not providing the best for my family for whatever could come.
Months later...I have been avid upon educating myself and my family of our ambitions to become self-reliant. With my entire family on board we have been able to seek together among the many ways to improve and better life through this process along with the sense of security that if something happens we will be OK.
But, we can always become better and more prepared.

I am here to learn and to give.

And I am excited to becoming a giving community member!

Offline Spnvc

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5885 on: January 31, 2013, 05:32:23 PM »
Hi

My name is Steve.  Live in rural ND.  I work as a Civil Engineer.   I have listened to the podcast for a couple of years but decide to spend a little time on the form.

Love to garden, store the garden produce and have some animals.  Energy and heating is a big issue in ND.  Especially when the high for the day is 10 below.  Ouch.  Days like this make the chores tough and make you wonder how you would start the tractor if you can not use the head bolt heater.

Interested in learning more from the community.

Offline Lora

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5886 on: January 31, 2013, 10:31:54 PM »
Hello all, we're in a small town in north central Texas.  Been listening to TSP for a couple of years, but never had much time to explore the forums, until now.  I'm a teacher, but only part-time now, so that I can be at home with our new baby.  My husband and I have three children, and we're both 100% on board with getting as prepared as possible.  There is SO MUCH we want to do, sometimes it's hard to prioritize...plus, there's so little time/money to do it with.  It'll be good to talk with like-minded people.   :)

Offline Mma800

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5887 on: February 01, 2013, 03:40:42 AM »
Hi everyone! Just found this forum and I am happy to see it so active and applicable.
I am  43 yo housewife/nurse in a Massachusetts suburb. Married for 13 years to an MD who loves his guns. We have 3 kids 12,11 and 9. My DH tolerates my preps, but rolls his eyes when I get my tin foil hat on! My dad has been a prepper his entire life and never even knew it! Guess its in my genes. Thanks for having me here

Offline Azaziah

• Prepper
  • Once Fueled
    • Hardened Power Systems
« Reply #5888 on: February 01, 2013, 10:37:07 AM »
Greetings!

Love the forum and the knowledge represented here!

I live in Middle Tennessee.  Wife, kids, dogs, chickens, and a few acres out in the boonies.

I have been doing industrial, machine, and tooling design for almost 25 years.  Lifelong tinkerer.

Big fan of alternate power.

I have a small company that designs and builds portable power devices.

I hope to contribute at least as much as I get back on the forum.   ;-)

In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has.
Proverbs 21:20

http://www.portableuniversalpower.com

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're still waiting but we're READY!
« Reply #5889 on: February 01, 2013, 07:44:55 PM »
Well first I'll welcome all the new ladies - lakestral, Mama Bear, Lora and Mma800.  Yay!  Always room for more of us here and also a big welcome to all the other new members!  We're glad you've joined us.  Be sure to check out the regional threads and say hello there too!
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my GOAT already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown

America will never be destroyed from outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed GOATS." Abraham  Lincoln

DEV being nice... sorta goes along with GOATS howling, babies bursting into tears, birds suddenly becoming silent, and an ominous greenish lighting spreading across the landscape...

Offline nanrpudn

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5890 on: February 02, 2013, 09:40:34 AM »
Hey, yall!  Nanrpudn from south Mississippi here.  Started doing a little prepping a year or so ago.  Really ramping up now as I get the feeling that the need is becoming more urgent.  Not feeling optimistic about our chances of avoiding a major financial crisis at the very least.  Sis-in-law and I have gotten very adept at canning over the past year.  Unfortunately, I live right in the middle of town, so my growing space is limited, but I do try to grow at least some of our own food.  I also raise rabbits for meat.  What I can't grow myself, I try to buy from local farmers as much as possible.  Hoping to eventually buy a place in the country where I think my independent living options would increase.  Trying to learn about herbs I can grow for medicine now.  Looking forward to sharing ideas and learning new things with this group.

Offline CopperKnight

• Survivor
  • A protective shell is sometimes open space.
    • Survival WWYD
« Reply #5891 on: February 02, 2013, 11:17:07 AM »
Welcome, nanrpudn.  If you haven't been listening to the podcasts long, there are some from a couple years ago (maybe not that long, but close) about medicinal herbs and what they are good for.  Just search from the podcast page.
eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns.

A friend and my blog: http://survivalwwyd.blogspot.com/

Offline fourdogs65

• Fledgling Prepper
  • I am a Patriot bred from the 2nd World War!
« Reply #5892 on: February 02, 2013, 11:06:41 PM »
Hi everyone, My name is Todd, and I am totally new to prepping in a formal manor. I was a boy scout and have always had a "be prepared" motto, or at least i thought I did. Until I started listening to Jack I did not realize how woefully unprepared I was. I have been working every week to improve my position! I was a prison guard for 20 years and was forced to leave due to an injury that has greatly reduced my health. I am currently trying to rehab my knee and gain my health back, but it is a tough road! I am married to a strong, down to earth woman that is completely behind getting prepared for whatever comes our way. I am fairly proficient with both long and short guns, however i a extremely proficient with a pump action shotgun! For over 5 years I was a member of a tactical shotgun team in the Illinois Department of corrections. In order to be a member you are required to take several weeks of training ad then continuing training twice a month! With my knee in the shape it is in, I cannot do allot of physical actions I did, but i am still a very good shot! My wife has taken to shooting like a duck to water, and is wanting her own commander size 1911. So i feel like we have our security in order, and now we are working on food stores and a battery backup system! Well i guess that's all for now!
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first! Thomas Jefferson

Offline LizardGurl

• Survivor
  • Low Carb Paleo Permaculturist Locavore
« Reply #5893 on: February 03, 2013, 10:29:43 AM »
Hi!

My name is Julie and I live north of San Francisco, CA. 

I am a constantly evolving person who needs to be learning something new all the time.  Over the past few years I have evolved into a low carb, Paleo, Locavore Permaculturalist.  As I learn something new, I either incorporate it into my life or move on.

The past year or so I have become very interested in Homesteading and self-sufficiency.  I've been working on my gardening and food preservation skills.  I learned about Jack Spirko and The Survival Podcast when Jack was interviewed on Paul Wheaton's podcast.

My husband humors me.  He's willing to do the homestead thing.  He actually has a lot of useful survival skills.  He taught me to can and use the food dehydrator.

My goal in joining this forum is to expand my skill set, so that when we move to our homestead, I'll be ready.  The first step is for me to pay off all my debts so that my income is not required.

Julie
I have a blog that covers Paleo recipes, gardening, food preservation and whatever catches my fancy.  http://www.paleopassage.com

Offline JReed

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5894 on: February 03, 2013, 06:10:05 PM »
I'm a long-time gardener and lover of all things Permaculture.  I live in Los Angeles, in a townhouse, and expect to retire in the next year or two to some place far away.  I was born and raised in California but it has become a horrid place to live in, except for the climate, which I absolutely love.  In the far past I've lived in the country, had a milk cow, pigs, and chickens.  Jack's podcasts have pursuaded me that, since I live alone, I will be best served by not trying to live very far away from other people or off the grid.  I simply don't have the skills or inclination to be that much of a pioneer. I want to buy an acre or two outside of some pleasant town where I can have a real garden and some hens.
Jane

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Such a sweety. - TheBinkieHunter!
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • A fledgling ant watching out for antlions
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #5895 on: February 04, 2013, 10:58:55 AM »
welcome to all of the new people! glad to have you on board!

Mai Thai Coffee - Coffee With a Mission - MSB members get 10% off everything! www.maithaicoffee.com

Want to win free coffee? New contest in The Swap Meet board every month. Check out the current one here.

We work directly with the Thai farmers who grow our coffee. We have a great video that shows the process of getting our coffee From Seed to Cup

Offline Dynamik1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5896 on: February 04, 2013, 12:13:43 PM »
Hello Team,

Quick introduction, I'm a Christ-follower, Husband to Rachel and Daddy to a 26-year old daughter serving in Naval Intelligence as well as a 6-year old (Jack) and 3-year old (Ellie). By vocation I am a software project manager, by avocation I'm an NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer and Recruiter. I'm also the Editor of http://www.EDCKnifeReviews.com where I provide consumer reviews of knives I think are perfect for every day carry. I shoot IDPA as often as possible as also like to tinker around as an amateur gunsmith.

I'm a Glock and Beretta fan for sidearms and an AK afficianado for my MBR.

We're new to prepping but have 72-hour kits as well as car kits that makes us a bit more prepared than before. We're working to get prepared for longer disruptions in the national supply chain.

Best to all.

Offline frjoeb

• Survivor
  • Learning the common sense of Grandma and Grandpa
    • St. Augustine Outdoorsman
« Reply #5897 on: February 04, 2013, 12:40:46 PM »
Dynamik1

Welcome.  I too am a Christ-follower and there are some really good people here that love to help each other.

JoeB

Offline mlorne

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5898 on: February 04, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
Good day all,

Glad to have found you all.  I am writing from the frozen north of southern Ontario.  I can hardly describe myself as a prepper, but more of a self-sufficiency student.  My motivations for creating a more self-sufficient lifestyle for the family are based around concerns with the impact we are all having on our environment.  The great spin-off benefit of this approach is that it makes me more prepared for emergencies and such.  So, to that end, I call myself an ancillary-prepper.

I have served in the Canadian military (Croatia and Bosnia, 92-94) and I do own a shotgun, but I don't consider myself a weapons aficionado.  My wife and I are avid gardeners, committed environmentalists, and busy working parents.  We are in the process of moving to our new rural property, a 15 acre farm outside of Toronto.  There we will continue raising chickens, and perhaps adding a pig or two, and some turkeys.

I look forward to being a part of my new "physical" community and my new "digital" community.

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #5899 on: February 04, 2013, 01:48:09 PM »
Good day all,

Glad to have found you all.  I am writing from the frozen north of southern Ontario.  I can hardly describe myself as a prepper, but more of a self-sufficiency student.  My motivations for creating a more self-sufficient lifestyle for the family are based around concerns with the impact we are all having on our environment.  The great spin-off benefit of this approach is that it makes me more prepared for emergencies and such.  So, to that end, I call myself an ancillary-prepper.

I have served in the Canadian military (Croatia and Bosnia, 92-94) and I do own a shotgun, but I don't consider myself a weapons aficionado.  My wife and I are avid gardeners, committed environmentalists, and busy working parents.  We are in the process of moving to our new rural property, a 15 acre farm outside of Toronto.  There we will continue raising chickens, and perhaps adding a pig or two, and some turkeys.

I look forward to being a part of my new "physical" community and my new "digital" community.
Prepper is just a label man... you're one whether you call yourself that or not. If you're gardening, raising livestock, and exercising your freedoms, you're there brother.
"Bureaucracy doesn’t rhyme with idiocy and lunacy for no reason, my friend." - AngusBangus 2014

The 4Bs of Anthood:
Bullets - Check
Beans
   Short Term - Check
   Long Term - Whole lotta work to do, but growing every day.
Bandages - Almost to "comfortable minimum"
Brotherhood - Creating community one conversation at a time

Offline BamaPrepper

• Prepper
  • I tried to be reasonable...I didn't like it....
« Reply #5900 on: February 04, 2013, 01:49:38 PM »
Hello to everyone,
I am relatively new to The Survival Podcast and consciously practicing a prepared lifestyle, but I have had this mindset for many years.  I am new to Georgia (specifically North Atlanta) via South Charlotte, NC. 

I am 32 years old with a beautiful fiance that is not really behind the preparedness movement, and a soon to be step father to a 10 year girl (which honestly scares me to the bone  :D).

I am very comfortable with almost all outdoors activities including, hunting, camping, hiking, backpacking, and mediocre bushcraft, but I am always looking to improve on my skills.  I am really interested in honing my general fitness, working on becoming more self sufficient in regards to food, and improving my firearms skills.  I am a pistol man at heart, but I have devoted a fair share of time to long guns over the past 2 years and always looking to spend time on the range.  And if anyone is interested in someone to share on a good hunt with them, just send me a message.  All of my honey holes were in NC, so I am a little out of my element down here.

I hope to hear from some of you. 

Bamaprepper
"It's not the will to win, it's the will to prepare to win that matters." Paul "Bear" Bryant

Don't draw fire...it irritates the people around you.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #5901 on: February 04, 2013, 01:49:58 PM »
Prepper is not a bad word. I wear my label with pride.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #5902 on: February 04, 2013, 02:13:53 PM »
Hello to everyone,
I am relatively new to The Survival Podcast and consciously practicing a prepared lifestyle, but I have had this mindset for many years.  I am new to Georgia (specifically North Atlanta) via South Charlotte, NC. 

I am 32 years old with a beautiful fiance that is not really behind the preparedness movement, and a soon to be step father to a 10 year girl (which honestly scares me to the bone  :D).

I am very comfortable with almost all outdoors activities including, hunting, camping, hiking, backpacking, and mediocre bushcraft, but I am always looking to improve on my skills.  I am really interested in honing my general fitness, working on becoming more self sufficient in regards to food, and improving my firearms skills.  I am a pistol man at heart, but I have devoted a fair share of time to long guns over the past 2 years and always looking to spend time on the range.  And if anyone is interested in someone to share on a good hunt with them, just send me a message.  All of my honey holes were in NC, so I am a little out of my element down here.

I hope to hear from some of you. 

Bamaprepper

I wish that you would start preparing to see your Tide lose a few games here an there... preferably to Mississippi State. Does that hope make me a tin-hatter? :)
"Bureaucracy doesn’t rhyme with idiocy and lunacy for no reason, my friend." - AngusBangus 2014

The 4Bs of Anthood:
Bullets - Check
Beans
   Short Term - Check
   Long Term - Whole lotta work to do, but growing every day.
Bandages - Almost to "comfortable minimum"
Brotherhood - Creating community one conversation at a time

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #5903 on: February 04, 2013, 03:02:36 PM »
Welcome aboard new members! Great to see so many new names. If any of you need anything just PM me or another moderator.

Roswell
"Be Prepared" - The Boy Scout motto
Please Come By My Website - MakingAHomestead.com

Offline Allen

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5904 on: February 04, 2013, 03:25:16 PM »
Hi everybody figured i would join this forum because ive been listening totsp for a month and realy like what jack talks about.I was a member of another forum until they pulled my post telling everyone to listen to jack.I live in northwest fl and prepping for hurricane/economic collapse.

Offline BamaPrepper

• Prepper
  • I tried to be reasonable...I didn't like it....
« Reply #5905 on: February 04, 2013, 06:39:04 PM »
I hate to say it....but I doubt that Bama is going to fall any time soon!!   ;D
"It's not the will to win, it's the will to prepare to win that matters." Paul "Bear" Bryant

Don't draw fire...it irritates the people around you.

Offline laxb0rder

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5906 on: February 05, 2013, 08:35:10 AM »
Hey guys im a senior in college now in NY and cannot wait until i graduate to get away from here. Im from Connecticut and while its not a whole lot better its much better for me then long island.
I started getting into "prepping" after hurricane irene last year and had only done a little bit before Sandy hit this year and with the little i had done i felt as if i was so far ahead of everyone around me and decided to step up the pace. And i enjoy listening to Jack and the people he brings onto the show.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #5907 on: February 05, 2013, 11:30:15 AM »
Hello to all the new people...Don't be afraid to stick around for a while and see what the board has to offer you.

Lizard, your intro included a detail I would be interested to hear from other new members.

You said that you found the forum through Jack's podcasts which you found through Wheaton's podcasts.
I am interested to hear how other new members found this forum.

Offline mrmnjewel

• Mr Cool under Pressure
  • Prepper
  • Prepper in Progress
« Reply #5908 on: February 05, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »
Hey all. I’m Matt. I live in metro Atlanta, GA and am new to prepping, but not to preparedness, if that makes any sense at all. I am a former firefighter/paramedic who now works in a related field. I have a masters degree in emergency management with possible plans to advance to doctoral level study in the future. All told, I have over 20 years of experience in the field. The direction the world seems to be going in has led me to turn my efforts inward and begin instituting household preparedness measures to do what I can to be certain that my family and I can weather the storms that seem to be gathering.

As far as additional prepping-related skills go, I am also a general class Ham Radio operator and hold a blue belt in Gracie Jiu Jitsu. I am a big fan of Jack’s podcasts and am excited to have found this forum as a means to interact with all of you, learn what I can, and pass along any little nuggets that I have picked up along the way.
"Retired" EMT-P
General Class Ham Radio Operator
Blue Belt in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

Offline Sprunch

• Prepper
  • Has the gear, learning the skills
« Reply #5909 on: February 05, 2013, 02:15:30 PM »
Hey All,
John here from 4 miles north of the Detroit city line, with a Wife and two young girls l'm sure there's no question as to why l'm here.
Been listening to Jack for over year and decided to join the Forum.
Been into prepardedness since BoyScouts in the 70's and resently got back into it after watching Michael Ruppert's 'Collaspe' documentry.
Looking forward to expanding my knowledge on raised bed gardening, firearms, ect.