Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1961315 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #330 on: April 22, 2009, 07:43:03 AM »

Watching the way things are going we have kind of ended up with a survivalist mentality, not on purpose or maybe it was, different areas of our lives all went a certain direction: getting out of debt, gardening & hunting to supply as much food as we can, putting back some food and ammo, etc. Then just stumbled across the podcast and it all seemed to make sense.

So here we are.....

Pete: 

You are exactly the typical person here.  Normal, not living in a bunker.  Reducing debt, gardening, hunting, and getting some defensive tools together.  All these things will make your life better even if nothing bad happens, which is why Jack says "if times get tough, or even if they don't." 

Welcome.

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #331 on: April 22, 2009, 08:01:16 PM »
Thanks to the guidance of Heavy G. I'm putting this in the right place...this time!

Hello everyone!

I'm Muddyboots. Some of you know me from another board. I recently spent sixteen hours driving around in region 2, listening to The Survival Podcast. That was 20-some episodes. I'm hooked. I agree with a lot Jack is saying and understand the reasons behind most of what I don't agree with. The thing I like Most is the style. Works for me.

I'm one of the Instructors who will be at Dirttime 09 this august. I'll be doing a work shop and discussion on "The Tarp" which is going to cover a lot more than the name suggests. I come from the world of Mountaineering, Guiding and Rescue, I've worn a few other hats over the years as well.

I'm new so I'm going to hang back and get to know the board and it's people.

Cheers!

Muddyboots

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #332 on: April 22, 2009, 10:00:30 PM »
Welcome Muddyboots, your experience is going to be very welcome here.

I look forward to meeting you at Dirt Time 09

The Wilderness

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #333 on: April 22, 2009, 10:59:23 PM »
I'm one of the Instructors who will be at Dirttime 09 this august. I'll be doing a work shop and discussion on "The Tarp" which is going to cover a lot more than the name suggests. I come from the world of Mountaineering, Guiding and Rescue, I've worn a few other hats over the years as well.

How neat!  Lookin' forward to meeting you! :)

Michael Masse

« Reply #334 on: April 23, 2009, 11:14:31 AM »
Welcome Muddyboots,

Your avatar suggests you don't mind getting dirty.  That is pretty good in my book. 

Looking forward to your input.

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #335 on: April 25, 2009, 06:39:34 PM »
Thanks all! Looking forward to meeting everyone either here or at DT09!

Muddyboots

dhallftworth

« Reply #336 on: April 25, 2009, 06:50:37 PM »
I just realized I never added to this....

Hi! I'm Derek from Kennedale, TX. I am a computer service technician, not one of those damn geek squad guys I know what I'm doing, I never though about stocking up on anything like this. I was one of those guys and still partly am that thinks as long as I have my guns, and I have many, I will be fine. I am now planning on starting a garden in roughly 2 days... I travel everywhere and have seen much of this great country. Texas is of course the best place to be but the other places aint too bad, except for Boston which are the rudest damn people I have ever met. I'm always here for whoever needs me, all you gotta do is ask!!

8)There now yall know what I want yall to know about me.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #337 on: April 26, 2009, 11:59:35 AM »
dhallftworth:

Welcome.  Your avatar picture is the embodiment of "Don't Mess With Texas."

Einherjar

« Reply #338 on: April 27, 2009, 08:50:47 PM »
Hello all,

Been listening to TSP for about 3 weeks now. LOVE IT! It rocks.  Just wanted to say hello to all of you.
About me:
I am a crimefighter at heart and by trade.  I have been into survivalism since I was 10 years old.  I love turning people on to new things and offering information on the topics that I am knowledgeable about. My fields of knowledge are as follows:
-Cutlery (knives, swords, axes etc etc.) I used to own a cutlery business and have been a custom/production knife collector for over 20 years.
-Martial arts and real no nonsense physical combat and tactics (There is a huge difference). Been training in hand to hand combat since the age of 7.
-Fishing-Largemouth Bass(strictly catch and release). Been fishing since the age of 4. All I fish for is Largemouth Bass.
-Throwing weapons- Knives, Tomahawks, Shuriken, you name it.
-Yo-Yo's. Could talk for hours. I have a collection of over 40 yo yo's all modern and made from some high-tech stuff, Aircraft aluminum, Titanium, some painted,some anodized, laser etched etc etc. An amazing hobby that most people don't know too much about.
-Cigars. The good stuff.
-Popeye The Sailor Man. Created in 1929 by Elzie Crisler Segar.  We owe a lot to this icon, including the creation of 2 words in the English language.  The character was revolutionary and so was the man who created him.
-Classic and modern cartoons.
-The Occult.
-Norse Mythology.

I am looking forward to spending some time on these forums, when im not busy with my other hobbies...lol
Please feel free to message me on anything that you would like to discuss.  I would love to engage in some good conversation.

jarhead

« Reply #339 on: April 27, 2009, 10:06:20 PM »
Welcome Einherjar.   ;D

dhallftworth

« Reply #340 on: April 27, 2009, 10:19:52 PM »
welcome young ant...

Michael Masse

« Reply #341 on: April 28, 2009, 02:28:19 PM »
Einherjar, welcome aboard.  This is a wonderful forum sounds like you will be a great asset. 

Einherjar

« Reply #342 on: April 29, 2009, 09:51:25 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome and the kind words.

Offline pchambers

• Prepper
« Reply #343 on: April 29, 2009, 11:25:10 PM »
I found the podcast last year, lost it through a change in laptops and have refound it! Boy! Don't you all have a plethora of information (and acrynms) crammed into this place.  I'm just going to jump right in.  I don't know much at all about getting prepared, shooting or caring for a gun or most of the stuff here, but I must have been flirting around this idea without knowing it for a while.

My husband and I live in GA in a suburban subdivision. I homeschool our three boys, grow a garden and have some hens in the backyard. We don't hunt, but I'll buy an abandoned deer from the processors every chance I get. Any vacations we take consist of camping, so I have lots of gear in that respect.

Now that I'm here, I find myself thinking...ah...this is what I'm looking for.  I'm sure I'll be asking lots of naive questions, so just bare with me please.  Two to start off with -

Absolute beginner strategy? Where to get started?

And what does BUG OUT/BUG IN mean???

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #344 on: April 29, 2009, 11:41:55 PM »

My husband and I live in GA in a suburban subdivision. I homeschool our three boys, grow a garden and have some hens in the backyard. We don't hunt, but I'll buy an abandoned deer from the processors every chance I get. Any vacations we take consist of camping, so I have lots of gear in that respect.

Now that I'm here, I find myself thinking...ah...this is what I'm looking for.  I'm sure I'll be asking lots of naive questions, so just bare with me please.  Two to start off with -

Welcome home pchambers , you will fit right in

Sounds like you are already started, you are better prepared than most people.

start by reading older posts and use the search function to find what you are interested in, then just jump in and comment or ask questions.

There are no stupid questions here, so ask away

Bug Out means leaving your residence in case of disaster and going somewhere else, Bug In means riding out the disaster at home using your preps.

The Wilderness

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #345 on: April 29, 2009, 11:43:07 PM »
I found the podcast last year, lost it through a change in laptops and have refound it! Boy! Don't you all have a plethora of information (and acrynms) crammed into this place.  I'm just going to jump right in.  I don't know much at all about getting prepared, shooting or caring for a gun or most of the stuff here, but I must have been flirting around this idea without knowing it for a while.

Welcome.

Bug Out = To leave your home base or normal area of operation.  This could be for a short period or for a longer period & it's usually because you need to leave for safety reasons.

Bug In = To shelter in place.  Usually in one's home.  Doing this necessitates having enough supplies to stay in or at your home base & being able to live comfortably & without want for an extended or possibly indefinite length of time.

For basic food & water storage resources check out The Repository.

Most folks begin by laying in extra food, water & household supplies.  The Food Preps Boards are a good place for a beginner to begin.  Pretty much every answer you can ask about storing food can be answered there.  If you need to search for something in particular, try the Search Function by entering the key words you'd like to search for.

Anything else, just ask. ;)

***ETA***
Dang it TW, you beat me to the post button. ;D

Offline pchambers

• Prepper
« Reply #346 on: April 30, 2009, 08:33:04 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #347 on: April 30, 2009, 10:23:31 AM »
pchambers (and others who are new here):

In addition to the Repository, you might search for the term "Best of."  I tagged the especially good threads--the ones chock full of info--by posting with that term in it.  You can find them with the search feature.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #348 on: April 30, 2009, 11:15:24 AM »
pchambers (and others who are new here):

In addition to the Repository, you might search for the term "Best of."  I tagged the especially good threads--the ones chock full of info--by posting with that term in it.  You can find them with the search feature.

Dang H G, I forget about the Best Of stuff too. 

pchambers..
It will probably narrow the search results to enter the specific topic you're searching for after you enter Best Of : for example Best Of + Food Storage.

Offline pchambers

• Prepper
« Reply #349 on: April 30, 2009, 11:25:18 AM »
awesome... thanks so much for the info. 

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #350 on: April 30, 2009, 06:00:57 PM »
One other thing I would do is go back and download all the old podcasts, then work your way through listening to them. It took me a couple of months, but I've heard them all. They work real well for me in the car, so I can input some good stuff during the commute. The only downside is not being able to take notes, for example, on particular ways to plant. But, I can always go back and do that at another time.

There may seem to be a little repetition, but I know I often need to hear things a couple of times before they sink in, just ask my darling wife.  ;D

Offline Rom

• Prepper
« Reply #351 on: May 01, 2009, 12:42:52 PM »
A few posts in already, but I just found this thread. Name's Rom. I've been a very basic prepper for a while now. Just hit that stage in life with the house and family, and a career with some spare cash, so I have really started to take the survival/self reliance thing seriously. I grew up in SW Washington, and now I live in beautiful North Idaho (God's Country as my mother refers to it), and I am a Firefighter/EMT for the city I live in. I've been married for just over 2 years now, and we just had our first son, Jack, last October. Best accident ever! I have a background in hunting and country living, and a decent comprehension of firearms. I am looking forward to learning from this community. Thanks in advance.

dhallftworth

« Reply #352 on: May 01, 2009, 12:49:14 PM »
Welcome!!! glad to have you...

Offline Maddog

• Prepper
« Reply #353 on: May 02, 2009, 12:23:36 PM »
Dan Maddalena (1957)
ThreeAcre Farm - Lewisville, TX (Republic Of)
Horses, goats (Boer), garden. Soon to have chickens, rabbits, quail (again).
Married (2nd), two daughters (29, 10)
Italian/cowboy/farmer/telecommunications
Preferred lover: 1911 Officers Model
I've been reconnoitering this site since 03/23/09. What has drawn me to participate is the fact that all opinions are welcome here. The good, bad, ugly, or opposite view. I like the freedom to disagree, as long as  protocols are observered. However, I'll tell you up front, I won't observe these procalls. Bitch slap me if you must, but please don't ban me. I'll play as nice as I have to to stay here. You will find I have a "Deadwood" vocabulary, but will do ANYTHING to preserve what was established in 1776. My dream: to have Jack call me out because of a controversial statement I have made.

dhallftworth

« Reply #354 on: May 02, 2009, 12:37:45 PM »
Dan Maddalena (1957)
ThreeAcre Farm - Lewisville, TX (Republic Of)
Horses, goats (Boer), garden. Soon to have chickens, rabbits, quail (again).
Married (2nd), two daughters (29, 10)
Italian/cowboy/farmer/telecommunications
Preferred lover: 1911 Officers Model
I've been reconnoitering this site since 03/23/09. What has drawn me to participate is the fact that all opinions are welcome here. The good, bad, ugly, or opposite view. I like the freedom to disagree, as long as  protocols are observered. However, I'll tell you up front, I won't observe these procalls. Bitch slap me if you must, but please don't ban me. I'll play as nice as I have to to stay here. You will find I have a "Deadwood" vocabulary, but will do ANYTHING to preserve what was established in 1776. My dream: to have Jack call me out because of a controversial statement I have made.

Proud to have another Texan!! Welcome

Offline sylvan

• Prepper
« Reply #355 on: May 02, 2009, 08:29:03 PM »
Greetings everyone!  I go by sylvan.  I am a married, 30 yo male from Middle Tennessee.  No kids, yet!  We've got a fur kid named Layla, she is a lab mix.  Since I was a kid, I've always loved the outdoors.  Living in Tennessee and Texas, it's hard not to.  Even though college is taking up a lot of my free time, I still love to hike and camp when I get a chance.  I also love a good rabbit or squirrel hunt from time to time.  I also enjoy target shooting with rifles and pistols.

Recent world events really got me to think of what-ifs and securing my family's well being.  I started buying and reading books which are helpful, but they are not a replacement for a good community.

A buddy told me about Jack's podcast and all I can say is ....Thank God for Jack.  Sir, you are doing a great and wonderful service and I thank you.  I am very eager to learn and apply the knowledge.

I am also eager to get to know and learn from the wonderful folks of this forum.  It would really be great to network with other folks from Tennessee and set up and attend some activities or workshops.  I prefer to learn hands-on if I can. 

Thanks again! 

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #356 on: May 02, 2009, 09:19:24 PM »

I am also eager to get to know and learn from the wonderful folks of this forum. 

sylvan and other new folks:

I tagged the best threads--the ones with the most concise and helpful info on a variety of topics--by putting the term "best of" in them.  So you can search for that term and you'll run into them.

Also, there's a category called the Repository that is ... a repository.

Welcome, y'all.

cchase

« Reply #357 on: May 06, 2009, 12:04:07 PM »
Hi guys my name is Chris im new here to tsp and im really enjoying it. I live in The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia in Orange County I have a wife and two young sons my oldest 2yrs old my youngest is 7 mos. I am a former marine and consider myself strong and resourceful but since having afamily things in my life have really been put into perspective. ive come to the realization that as a family we are dependent and not ready for anything except for maybe a night time robbery attempt. this makes me nauseous to think how sheep like i have allowed us to become because i dont consider myself to be that kind of person. i guess with all that said i want to start prepping, I am going to start a garden here soon and I am going to put together my bugout bag and one for each members of the family, I have been working on my debt. so ive taken some good steps, my question to you guys iswhat do you think is most important to prioritize where should i start, there is just so much info that ifeel like my head is spinning. so what do you guys think

i would really apprecite any and all of your perspectives and advice Thanks! also i apologize for the lack of punctuation and spelling iam writing this on myphone

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #358 on: May 06, 2009, 12:14:36 PM »
CChase!  WELCOME!!!

I live in The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia in Orange County...

You're in one of the few BIG conservative strong holds in So. Cal!  The Wilderness and I live over in the Fontana/Norco area.  You're in good company - there are quite a few Californians here.  Have you considered coming to Dirt Time in August?  I'm not sure if there are any spaces left, but just in case, you should check it out here: http://www.dirttime.com/ - it's over in San Bernardino, and it's a week long survivalfest of sorts.  Jack will be teaching there, and Ron Hood will be there, and there will be communications classes, and bowyer classes, and gourd making classes, and a ton more classes, and great food, and even better company, and so on and so forth.

dhallftworth

« Reply #359 on: May 06, 2009, 12:19:04 PM »
Hi guys my name is Chris im new here to tsp and im really enjoying it. I live in The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia in Orange County I have a wife and two young sons my oldest 2yrs old my youngest is 7 mos. I am a former marine and consider myself strong and resourceful but since having afamily things in my life have really been put into perspective. ive come to the realization that as a family we are dependent and not ready for anything except for maybe a night time robbery attempt. this makes me nauseous to think how sheep like i have allowed us to become because i dont consider myself to be that kind of person. i guess with all that said i want to start prepping, I am going to start a garden here soon and I am going to put together my bugout bag and one for each members of the family, I have been working on my debt. so ive taken some good steps, my question to you guys iswhat do you think is most important to prioritize where should i start, there is just so much info that ifeel like my head is spinning. so what do you guys think

i would really apprecite any and all of your perspectives and advice Thanks! also i apologize for the lack of punctuation and spelling iam writing this on myphone

Welcome... Being a marine I bet u are prepared for alot more than just a robbery... My dad is a marine and could find his way through any situation... But I understand what your saying about prepping...