Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 2037166 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #390 on: May 23, 2009, 02:32:49 PM »
To further the recommendation - Those "best of" threads really are the best of the best on the forum.  GREAT stuff.  ;D

JNeuser

« Reply #391 on: May 24, 2009, 02:09:04 PM »
Hello all,

My name is Jon. I'm a thirty year old, happily married, father of three(5yo, 3yo and 2 week old). Currently I'm Mr.Mom, the wife is a RN. Been survival minded for about ten years or so now, the wife is completely on board with prepping. I've been listening to TSP for the last couple months now and have been really enjoying it so I decided to join the forum too. I've been on several different S&P forums for a few years(currently a moderator over at whenshtf.com) but have grown tired of the paranoid tinfoil hat crowd that seems to accompany most of them. I've come to the conclusion that I would rather spend my time here. Looking forward to being an active member.

Cheers,
Jon

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #392 on: May 24, 2009, 06:31:15 PM »
Welcome JNeuser
I hope you can feel at home here.
I've found some real good people here.

SuperUltraJulie

« Reply #393 on: May 24, 2009, 07:06:23 PM »
I missed this! (Saw one in the Ladies Area...& was wondering where the general one was :D )

I'm Julie.

Originally from Brooklyn, New York...Now living in Northern Virginia & loving it.

I married a Southerner who recently retired from the USMC...22 years. I served ~ 10 years in the US Navy as a Hospital Corpsman myself.

We have an 8 year old boy.

I am very interested in Survivalism...I feel like something major may happen - not sure what or why...but it's been on my mind lately.

Goatdog62

« Reply #394 on: May 24, 2009, 10:00:36 PM »
Hi Julie

I enjoy the forum and learn a lot from it. Being in Northern VA, you should consider your bugout plan after your basic preps (food, water, etc). Unless you are west of say, Purcellville or Middleburg, you may be in too populated an area to comfortably sit out a really bad SHTF scenario. Of course, you being from Brooklyn, probably seems less so. I'd also say that having a former Marine husband and Corpsman skills gives you a leg up on survival.

Welcome!
Goatdog

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #395 on: May 24, 2009, 10:08:10 PM »
I missed this! (Saw one in the Ladies Area...& was wondering where the general one was :D )

I'm Julie.

Originally from Brooklyn, New York...Now living in Northern Virginia & loving it.

I married a Southerner who recently retired from the USMC...22 years. I served ~ 10 years in the US Navy as a Hospital Corpsman myself.

We have an 8 year old boy.

I am very interested in Survivalism...I feel like something major may happen - not sure what or why...but it's been on my mind lately.

Welcome Julie. I think that you will fit right in here.

Thank you for your service and also give your husband my thanks. Encourage him to get involved in the forum if you can, I am sure that he has a lot of knowledge and skills to contribute.

My wife is on the forum (Sister Wolf) and it is a good thing for us to participate in together.

The Wilderness

Angie

« Reply #396 on: May 25, 2009, 09:58:12 AM »
My name is Angie.  I'm a retired registered nurse. I've been married for 33 years, and spend my time between my home in Panama City, Florida and my other home in Hunstville, Al.  Panama City is my real home, but Huntsville provides a nice living.  So I like them both. 

I woke up a few months ago believing I had somehow landed in the 'Twilight Zone'.  Everything I always believed to be right, was suddenly wrong, and everything I always believed to be wrong, was suddenly right.  That when I became very interested in survival.  I always believed the U.S. Constitution would always protect me.  Now, I realize there are people who want to destroy it. 

I began acquiring long term storage food, learning how to correctly package it from YouTube.  I purchased a gun for the first time in my life and an currently taking lessons.   Guess I need to stock pile ammo. 

I'll admit to a small amount of fear in participating in this blog and similar ones, in watching numerous YouTube videos on the topic and in demonstrating at 'tea parties'.  Hopefully, Sec. Polatano is not considering me to be a 'domestic terrorist'. 

Looking forward to learning from all of you.

Goatdog62

« Reply #397 on: May 25, 2009, 10:04:55 AM »
Welcome Angie
  I graduated from S.R. Butler High School there in Huntsville a very long time ago when my father was assigned to Redstone Arsenal. It was a new school back then.

Your priorities sound about right. Food and water first. Defensive weapon(s) somewhere in the top five.

My home is in East TN. I am only there about one week out of five but if I bugout via the TN river for some reason you might see me floating by in Huntsville. ;D

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #398 on: May 25, 2009, 10:07:05 AM »
Welcome, Angie, you are among friends.

We all know you're not a terrorist  ;) and of course, neither are any of us.

Also, we hope to learn from you. As an RN, I'm sure you will be contributing.

SuperUltraJulie

« Reply #399 on: May 25, 2009, 11:09:46 AM »
Welcome Angie! I look forward to reading your contributions since you're an RN.

Thx for the warm welcome everyone!

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #400 on: May 25, 2009, 01:10:57 PM »
Welcome Julie
Great to have you here.
And I second the request to get your husband on the boards.

Also, Welcome Angie.
Like everyone has said so far, having an RN on the site is a real plus.
I look forward to reading your posts and hope I can learn from you.

SuperUltraJulie

« Reply #401 on: May 25, 2009, 01:17:19 PM »
Thanks again for the warm welcome...:)

Unfortunately, my husband doesn't have time for social forums @ the moment. He's really busy - working on his Master's, so you'll have to make do with me for now.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #402 on: May 25, 2009, 01:36:38 PM »
I'll admit to a small amount of fear in participating in this blog and similar ones, in watching numerous YouTube videos on the topic and in demonstrating at 'tea parties'.  Hopefully, Sec. Polatano is not considering me to be a 'domestic terrorist'. 

Looking forward to learning from all of you.
[/quote]

Angie, you've already made "The List".  Fortunately you are in very good company with some very smart folks with some great ideas, moral support, and generally just good people!    Unfortunately by DHS standards, I've made more than a few lists as well as a the good folks of this forum.  Welcome!

Same to you SUJ!

Berserker Prime

Fred_47460

« Reply #403 on: May 26, 2009, 04:38:38 PM »
Hi Gang

I'm Fred, I'll be 50 next February, married with one son who just graduated from high school and starts at Purdue University this fall. I'm an industrial electrician....more along the lines of industrial control systems than wiring. I'm an extra class ham radio operator and I generally like tinkering with computers. I've been a prepper for a couple decades now....but I really screwed up BIG TIME 4 years ago when I sold our log cabin on 20 acres and moved into town!! We recently moved back out of town but not to a very good location for raising food.....lands all up and down...and completely covered with trees. With my son starting college I'm pretty financially locked up for a while and can't do much more prepping. I "may" put this place up for sale next spring....we've got a little equity....enough to buy some land and put up a little shack (If I can get my wife to go along). I found TSP through the "Backwoods Home Magazine" forum. I've been a listener for only about 2 weeks although I've downloaded and listened to pretty much everything as far back as Itunes goes....I think Feb 2009 is as far back as it goes.

I am a Christian (Although I'm not sure GOD would be real thrilled to claim me) and I think the "End Times" are coming.....so I guess that makes me a whack-o right wing christian gun nut survivalist. Oh well, who the hell wants to "fit in" anyway.....especially if fitting in means doing as others do. We don't attend church because we're not to thrilled with the "sing hymns on Sunday, screw you on Monday" crowd.

I can't hit shit with a sidearm (although I have several), but I'm okay with a rifle. I've got a little pump action 22 rifle with an el-cheapo scope that I can pick which eye socket I want to hit from 50 yards.

As per my login ID....my name is Fred and I'm in zip code 47460.
As per my "avatar"....that is a painting by Red Skelton...and it pretty much shows my nature. Happy...even elated with the World as GOD made it.....somewhat sad to watch it crash and burn because of the actions of stupid and mean people.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #404 on: May 26, 2009, 04:48:18 PM »
Welcome Fred!
We're practically neighbors. I'm in western OH
Plus we're almost the same age.
Don't give up on the hilly wooded land. Check out Jack's pod casts on permaculture.
You may be surprised at how much good food can be produced by what almost looks like a forest.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #405 on: May 26, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
Howdi;

I am US Army, I live in Kansas and am married with a daughter.  I have been interested in Survivalism for years and have only gotten off my lazy keister in the last 12 months.  Found this place through the podcast of course and and found it through one of the newspaper articles Jack was in.  I am fortunate I have a wife who is onboard with the preparedness thing.

Thanks for the gardening emphasis Jack.  We got a garden out this spring and are enjoying it.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #406 on: May 26, 2009, 05:25:27 PM »
Howdi;

I am US Army, I live in Kansas and am married with a daughter.  I have been interested in Survivalism for years and have only gotten off my lazy keister in the last 12 months.  Found this place through the podcast of course and and found it through one of the newspaper articles Jack was in.  I am fortunate I have a wife who is onboard with the preparedness thing.

Thanks for the gardening emphasis Jack.  We got a garden out this spring and are enjoying it.

Welcome chemsoldier!!! :)

Goatdog62

« Reply #407 on: May 26, 2009, 06:18:03 PM »
Howdi;

Hi ChemSoldier and welcome!
 I spent a tour at Fort Riley...are you stationed there or Leavenworth? 1st Aviation Batt (Attack Helo Company) and 2/16th Infantry Scout Platoon. WAY BACK in the 80's.

This is a good forum.

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #408 on: May 26, 2009, 11:33:17 PM »
Welcome Fred and Chemsoldier!

Fred-agree with HOC-hang in there with the land you have. You may be amazed at what you can do with it. Check out Jack's permaculture stuff and some of the shows from Big John Lipscomb on http://www.gcnlive.com/programs/dontTreadOnMe/ on how to put together a homestead in the sticks. He can be a little over the top, but he's a lot of fun, too.

dwkreis

« Reply #409 on: May 27, 2009, 08:53:10 AM »
Hey all,

I realized that I've been on here for awhile and have not introduced myself, sorry bout that.

I'm married to a great woman for almost 20 years now with three great kid's from fifteen down to three years old (she was our post deployment baby!). I'm active duty Army, still have a few more years till retirement. After that we are off to our land in MO that we almost have paid off, YAY!

I have always had a survival mindset since my youth.  Do you remember the TV movie from the early 80's called The Day After? After seeing it I realized that how fragile our "normal" life really is and I guess that I have been prepping in one way or another ever since.

There is a wealth of information on this forum and some great personalities, I look forward to learning from all of you.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #410 on: May 27, 2009, 11:45:56 AM »
Welcome DW, and I remember 'The Day After'.

Offline USA83

• Prepper
« Reply #411 on: May 27, 2009, 04:57:42 PM »
Well hello, I figured I best Introduce myself, before I get myself in trouble and you guys don't even know who to blame! Lol.

My name is Butch, Im married to a beautiful women and I have been interested in Survivalism for my entire life (we don't call it survivalism, we call it life.) I just recently heard about Jacks Podcast and after listening for about a week I realized that YES, I do get more than $.25 an episode. So I signed up and became a member here. Not really to be a member of a forum but to help support someone who  puts common sense out on the airwaves (not technically, I know.) My grandfather told me when I was young that you have to encourage a flame in order to make it grow. And putting up a little money seems like an easy way to make a mentality and an ideal grow. Besides that I have already learned more in a month for his previous podcast than I have in the last 2 years.

My job is my avatar. Enough said. Go Army.

Thank You guys I look forward to learning and growing. Hopefully I can bring some good information to the table so the learning isn't just one sided.

Thanks
Butch

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #412 on: May 27, 2009, 05:12:09 PM »
USA83
Welcome Butch.
I'm sure you'll fit right in here.
The more medical knowledge we have on the thread the better.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #413 on: May 27, 2009, 09:16:56 PM »
Hello all,

I'm a newcomer to the forum as well. I, too, have found the members to be both welcoming and polite (even with disagreements of opinion). Thank you all very much.

My husband and I have been married almost 27 years and have two boys ages 8 and 10 (late start... ) He has been in the military the entire time -- and is still in, which has caused us a bit of consternation with the changes we see on the horizon. The problem is that we never know from one year to the next how much longer we'll be living anywhere. We are at our fourth base in the last 5 1/2 years. Putting down roots and starting the basis for a permaculture is tricky in our situation.

I come from a large family, learned a lot about making do and being frugal as a kid... I'm an engineer by education, but have been staying home and homeschooling our kids since they came along. I am prepping by learning more about food preservation (I already did canning and freezing) through dehydrating. It isn't quite as easy as Tammy on Dehydrate2Store makes it look :)  We also have a very respectable set of raised gardens in the back yard this year that are starting to produce.

I also quilt, knit, sew, and generally like most homemaking crafts.

My husband has long been a militaria collector and a gun enthusiast. We are probably a rarity in that we have a fully functional M-20 armored personnel carrier in our garage (lol).

My forum name is the same that I use on other forums that are not at all related to survival... I am an absolute nut about Gregorian chant. I direct a schola here in Ft. Worth for our parish and am trying to teach others the (nearly) lost art of reading from the medieval notation and singing for the liturgy.

I have already learned a great deal from the members and from Jack's podcasts. I've shared the site with several other friends already. I can only imagine how much work it takes to prepare for the podcasts and am wondering if some of us might share the burden of doing some of the research for topics and lessen the load for Jack.

Thanks everyone!

Goatdog62

« Reply #414 on: May 27, 2009, 09:42:24 PM »

My husband has long been a militaria collector and a gun enthusiast. We are probably a rarity in that we have a fully functional M-20 armored personnel carrier in our garage (lol).

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=32556

Please tell me you have the Browning .50 caliber M2 HB Machine Gun to mount on the ring!

Our Regimental Colonel (3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment 'Brave Rifles") used to parade around in an M8 Greyhound, really cool looking vehicle.

Welcome!

dwkreis

« Reply #415 on: May 28, 2009, 08:05:53 AM »
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=32556

Please tell me you have the Browning .50 caliber M2 HB Machine Gun to mount on the ring!

Our Regimental Colonel (3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment 'Brave Rifles") used to parade around in an M8 Greyhound, really cool looking vehicle.

Welcome!

As of 98 they still had it. Although it has a new engine, from a junked m998 if I remember correctly. I left the cav in early 02 so I don't know if they took it with them when the cav moved back to TX. I hope they did though at least it gave us something cool to look a when stuck out on the parade field ;D

Goatdog62

« Reply #416 on: May 28, 2009, 09:41:53 AM »
Cool!

I last saw in in 1991 at Ft Bliss when we returned from Desert Storm. Our reward? We got to stand in the hot Texas sun for hours and bask in our glory!

The Army...gotta love it.

ITS Tactical

« Reply #417 on: May 28, 2009, 10:47:05 AM »
Hi Everyone,

My name is Bryan, and I've been listening to Jack's Podcasts for about 6 months now and absolutely love what he's doing for the community! I'm a former Navy guy who does Web design now since I got out back in '05. I recently started a Web site with some active duty Spec Ops buddies called ITS Tactical http://www.itstactical.com.

I thought I'd join to see if I could help contribute to a great group of like-minded individuals.

Thanks for having me,
Bryan

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #418 on: May 28, 2009, 11:12:40 AM »
Welcome ITS Tactical/Bryan

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics