Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1473417 times)

Offline Odin's Son

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #7860 on: May 13, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »
Several new folks!  That's awesome.  Can't wait to see what yall have to offer.  We learn something new from everyone one who participates here.  So welcome yall!

Offline TuyHoaPete67

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7861 on: May 23, 2017, 09:03:32 PM »
Good evening to all.  I am new to the forum and while I "lurk" around several other prepper/survival/homesteading sites until recently I have pretty much been an onlooker.  Not to be toooo political BUT the world seems to have been taking the USA as a joke beginning in the late 70s and after 9/11/2001 it has gotten to be a much more dangerous world.

I am much older that most of you, just a guess, but that certainly doesn't make me wiser.  I will be 71 in a month or so, retired (forced) in March of this year.  I married a high school friend in Sep 1967 after I was discharged from the USAF.  We are still married and  have two adult  children and 4 grandchildren and all of us were born, raised and still live in Central Florida. I currently live in an old "cracker" house that sits on 3 acres overlooking a 6000 acre natural lake.  We are literally the last house before you run into the water.  We have one neighbor next door and 4 others up toward the "hard road".  We are in what most city dwellers would call the ideal "bug out" location. We are not entirely self sufficient but are working to becoming more so every day....as evidenced by my presence on this forum. After working behind a desk for almost 50 years often way more than 40 hours a week, I have sort of taken for granted that my Uncle Sam would look after my family and me, WRONG!!!  I decided I had better go back a few years and remember some past lessons.
As I said I was in the USAF from 1964 - 1967 and spent 66 and 67 in Viet Nam and the Philippines.  Very little of my military career prepared me to be a salesman but the experiences of going through the PACAF Jungle Survival School, then becoming a "adjunct" survival  instructor and a 6 month TDY to a bare base in Viet Nam definitely gives me a head start over a lot of people in preparing for when the SHTF.
Until just a couple of years ago I owned 1 handgun and had not fired it in 10 or 15 years, but as I said times are much different today that even 10 years ago. Today, I have a Concealed Carry Permit and other EDC items that would come in handy in a confrontational situation.
I had printed out the shopping list 230Therapy proposed in 2008, my wife looked over it and said "we have most of that here already except we need more ammo and practice" .  She was never interested in world events until a couple of years ago and still "rolls her eyes" at some of my whacked out ideas but generally we are on the same path just hope the prep is just a hobby and not a new way of life.  God bless, I look forward to visiting with ya'll from time to time.   

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #7862 on: May 23, 2017, 09:41:23 PM »
Glad to have you along, THPete. 

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline TerlinguaTX

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7863 on: May 29, 2017, 11:52:58 PM »
Hi. I am new to this forum but not TSP. I see that TX is well represented on this forum. I am a single mom with adult children. All of us have LEO and/or Military backgrounds plus EMS. I have a few acres where I grow and raise a lot of food. It is a good way for me to decompress after work.  I hope to be an encouragement to any single moms here! 
Proverbs 6:6-8, Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:  Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #7864 on: June 06, 2017, 08:22:35 AM »
Hi all, I go by Redman, I don't know why it just happened. I've been browsing the forum for a while and decided it was time to register. I enjoy woodwork, cooking and gardening though I don't currently have a garden. Recently, well last couple years I've become interested in having supplies for several weeks on hand and to that end have been converting an unused small lavatory into a storeroom of sorts. I've already learned several things here and hope to learn more in the future and maybe contribute some things also.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7865 on: June 06, 2017, 09:31:35 AM »
Hi all, I go by Redman, I don't know why it just happened. I've been browsing the forum for a while and decided it was time to register. I enjoy woodwork, cooking and gardening though I don't currently have a garden. Recently, well last couple years I've become interested in having supplies for several weeks on hand and to that end have been converting an unused small lavatory into a storeroom of sorts. I've already learned several things here and hope to learn more in the future and maybe contribute some things also.

8) ;D
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #7866 on: June 06, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
Howdy Redman!!

You keep a close eye on him Steve...
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #7867 on: June 06, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »
Howdy Redman!!

You keep a close eye on him Steve...

He does, at another place.  ::)

There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7868 on: June 06, 2017, 06:43:10 PM »
Yea, I will. He's a full time job.  :-*

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #7869 on: June 07, 2017, 02:32:57 AM »
Hey!  ;D

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7870 on: June 07, 2017, 08:58:15 AM »
Lol

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #7871 on: June 07, 2017, 05:23:36 PM »
 :beer:

Couldn't find no head shaking thingy so........

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7872 on: June 08, 2017, 08:28:01 AM »
Yea the smileys here kinda suck, but oh well.  ;D

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #7873 on: June 08, 2017, 08:46:27 AM »
Redman looks like a dude from BLAZING SADDLES , a really funny documentary on life in the old West.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7874 on: June 08, 2017, 08:51:22 AM »
Redman looks like a dude from BLAZING SADDLES , a really funny documentary on life in the old West.

He's actually a long lost (yea he's lost) cousin of that movie star.   :jaw-drop:

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #7875 on: June 08, 2017, 09:30:38 AM »
:rofl: :rofl:
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #7876 on: June 09, 2017, 03:02:50 AM »

Respect, I just cain't get no respect.  ;D

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7877 on: June 09, 2017, 08:42:06 AM »
Lol

Offline WKDTOM

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7878 on: June 14, 2017, 03:32:08 PM »
FNG here from New Hampshire!  I've been listening to TSP since the beginning of this year at the recommendation of a friend, and was floored to find a whole network of like minded people.  While I've been an anar... a voluntarist for a long time I have only recently starting to prepare myself for the rest of my life and TSP has been a boon to my changing lifestyle.

I own and operate my own business (split partnership with my best friend), building performance import race cars and doing higher end street car work, metal fabrication, engine building and stuff like that.  I'm 33 and have been doing this stuff for a little over ten years, worked for myself for the last nine.  Before I woke up and learned a trade and started my shop, I was part of the typical "liberal" American system doing well in school, attending college, taking on massive student loan debt and getting ready to be a perfect cog in the system etc.  I grew up in NH and lived out of state for school and work from 2002-2013 in upstate NY, central FL and southern RI.  I moved back to NH in 2013 after giving half of my business to my best friend and only employee, partly to convince him to move from his home state of RI and partly because I felt it to be the "right" thing to do.

Last year my fiancee and I bought my paternal ancestral home in Weare, NH, after living in a small apartment in Manchester for a couple of years.  The house is a 1770s colonial post and beam that's been in my father's family since the 1890s, and while it only sits on three of the 150 original acres, it's still a wonderful place to live and the property and structure lend themselves well to self sufficiency.  With the winter finally over and house improvement projects slowing down, we have started our first garden and begun promoting and learning about our fruit trees, and planning our landscape out for the next 30-40 years.  I feel like at 33 I am starting late, but at the same time I know I'll be in this house until I die or my kids take it (and I don't have any of those yet).  Hopefully I can give back to this community as much as it's already helped me out, it seems there is just so much to learn here!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7879 on: June 14, 2017, 04:50:43 PM »
Welcome WKDTOM, this forum is FOR and kept interesting by TSP people and the search bar will bring much helpful answers . As it is a live group,please post of you related success and failures of and related subjects as it will help others.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline davelobowski88

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7880 on: June 16, 2017, 04:20:17 PM »
Hey everyone, I just found out about the forum, but I've been listening to the podcast for a while. I can't wait to pick your brains about survivalism!

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7881 on: June 16, 2017, 10:19:04 PM »
Welcome Dave

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7882 on: June 17, 2017, 10:22:51 AM »
Welcome Dave
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7883 on: June 17, 2017, 10:31:25 AM »
Hey Dave ,you got KARMA(brownie points) just for showing up, I expect good things from you...Welcome

Offline Noghri

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7884 on: June 18, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
New to forum. I typed up a response in another forum thread  but didn't enter all the extra image responses.
Maybe this will go thru
Started listening about a month ago and recently found the forum

I look forward to learning more from people that don't think my preparedness is crazy

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7885 on: June 18, 2017, 01:27:14 PM »
Welcome. Yer not crazy but we may be.  ;D

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7886 on: June 18, 2017, 01:44:56 PM »
New to forum. I typed up a response in another forum thread  but didn't enter all the extra image responses.
Maybe this will go thru
Started listening about a month ago and recently found the forum

I look forward to learning more from people that don't think my preparedness is crazy

Welcome,you are among friend here. The search bar (top right of page ) will answer many of your questions and this captcha image will quit real soon as it and the Moderators keep this place an environment you WANT to be part of. This is a LIVING GROUP,not just a reading room...we value your posts too as your successes and failures often help others . Make yourself at home as I did some years ago. Well ,maybe not the way I did it exactly.... ;)

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #7887 on: June 19, 2017, 03:05:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum Noghri

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7888 on: June 19, 2017, 05:16:57 AM »
Welcome
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline zanedclark

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7889 on: June 26, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »
I'm back.

z