Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1442007 times)

Offline City Folk Convert

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #7920 on: September 16, 2017, 07:45:52 AM »
We have people from ALL walks of life here, including city folk (like me).  Make sure you check out the regional boards, too.  You'll find some areas of the forum may be inaccessible until you've made a certain number of posts.  Cuts down on the spammers, but you'll get that post count up faster than you would think.

Welcome!

Thanks, RitaRose! That line was 100% humor, I assumed a good number of people here are also from the city.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #7921 on: September 16, 2017, 07:47:42 AM »
  I'm from the swamp in Louisiana.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Ice Age Farmer

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Thriving in Grand Solar Minimum
    • Ice Age Farmer.com
Ice Age Farmer: Introduction
« Reply #7922 on: September 20, 2017, 08:47:24 PM »
Hi folks,

Long time listener, first time poster. 

First, I'd like to extend a greeting to a community here that I respect the hell out of.  Great to be here.

Second, inspired by Jack and others, I’ve finally started a podcast of my own, called the "Ice Age Farmer [IAF] Podcast."  IAF encourages people to grow and store their own food to ensure their food security in the times ahead.  (As we know, there are plenty of good reasons to do this, but I speak specifically to the need to grow our own food as traditional agriculture falters, thanks to the rapid climate change we're enduring as we enter an extended solar minimum.)

So, this post is also an invitation to those who watch space weather & solar cycles, suspicious0bservers & Adapt2030, or just wonder why they are making it ILLEGAL to question anthropogenic global warming -- Truth fears no inquiry! 

There are PLENTY of problems that we need to solve in order to ensure our food security as the climate changes, and I look forward to working with you to find those solutions. I know this community has a wealth of talent and experience, and really hope to start some fun discussions and drive creative solutions here. 

I'm also happy to answer questions, perhaps in a new thread that makes more sense.

Cheers.

Christian/IAF

Web:  http://iceagefarmer.com

Youtube:  http://youtube.com/c/IceAgeFarmer
Facebook:  http://facebook.com/IceAgeFarmer
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/IceAgeFarmer

Stitcher: http://iceagefarmer.com/stitcher
iTunes: http://iceagefarmer.com/itunes

Offline BravoWhiskey

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
What a time to be alive
« Reply #7923 on: September 21, 2017, 03:42:36 AM »
Long time listener, first time on the forum.

I'm in my mid thirties, and recently relocated to the Pacific Northwest.

My interests are philosophy, anthropology, data security, punk rock, permaculture, and self improvement.

It's great to be here, among folks who have also come to respect the truth Jack speaks. Looking through the profiles and posts brought a smile to my face, since most of my online networking over the last few years has been confined to the walled garden of FaCIAbook. Fortunately, a break during the last election year gave be the perspective I needed to see clearly the few uses and many limitations of that site. Being here, in contrast, feels like finally getting into my own truck after a long, exhausting commercial airline trip. It's difficult to describe, but quite a relief, knowing that there are still pockets of relative sanity on the internet.

So here I am, and a huge thanks to Jack and the community for having me. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Cheers!
It only looks like work because no one else has done it yet.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
Re: What a time to be alive
« Reply #7924 on: September 21, 2017, 04:56:06 AM »
Long time listener, first time on the forum.

I'm in my mid thirties, and recently relocated to the Pacific Northwest.

My interests are philosophy, anthropology, data security, punk rock, permaculture, and self improvement.

It's great to be here, among folks who have also come to respect the truth Jack speaks. Looking through the profiles and posts brought a smile to my face, since most of my online networking over the last few years has been confined to the walled garden of FaCIAbook. Fortunately, a break during the last election year gave be the perspective I needed to see clearly the few uses and many limitations of that site. Being here, in contrast, feels like finally getting into my own truck after a long, exhausting commercial airline trip. It's difficult to describe, but quite a relief, knowing that there are still pockets of relative sanity on the internet.

So here I am, and a huge thanks to Jack and the community for having me. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Cheers!

Come on in,we've been waiting for you!

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline redrider

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7925 on: September 24, 2017, 02:55:43 PM »
Newbie question: in which forum should I ask a general question?

Sample general question: I'm looking for a thread that I am unable to find through the search function, it was a thread about constructing a storage rack for fuel cans. It had lots of pictures of this persons building process. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

rr

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7926 on: September 24, 2017, 03:09:02 PM »
Newbie question: in which forum should I ask a general question?

Sample general question: I'm looking for a thread that I am unable to find through the search function, it was a thread about constructing a storage rack for fuel cans. It had lots of pictures of this persons building process. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

rr

Be sure to be on the HOME PAGE to use the search bar and it will search the whole forum as it will search within the page it is in and unless you know ...it is best to search from HOME. Also pictures may be a problem as the free hosting site many members used has gone to NOT allowing the hosting and so ,you may have to ask for images again. I saw two such threads for a rack to carry fuel cans on a vehicle so I can guess one of those is what you were after.

WELCOME

Offline Desert Survivor

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7927 on: September 25, 2017, 01:00:39 PM »
Hello from southern Utah.
   I actually joined the forum over a year ago, but got busy and forgot about. I decided it was time to come back.
 I have been listing to Jack or about 2 years now. My wife and I became preppers out of necessity. We both work seasonal jobs, employed at the same place, and we are unemployed for 3 months of the year. We have have learned what works and what doesn't work.
  I am 41 with 3 kids. I am chef, and have been cooking for 25 years. I like build wildcat AR-15, reload my own ammo, and if it can be done outside I am into it.
I hope to be able to share what I have learned, and continue to learn here.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7928 on: September 25, 2017, 01:03:41 PM »
Welcome DS
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7929 on: September 25, 2017, 01:18:43 PM »
Hello from southern Utah.
   I actually joined the forum over a year ago, but got busy and forgot about. I decided it was time to come back.
 I have been listing to Jack or about 2 years now. My wife and I became preppers out of necessity. We both work seasonal jobs, employed at the same place, and we are unemployed for 3 months of the year. We have have learned what works and what doesn't work.
  I am 41 with 3 kids. I am chef, and have been cooking for 25 years. I like build wildcat AR-15, reload my own ammo, and if it can be done outside I am into it.
I hope to be able to share what I have learned, and continue to learn here.

Karma dude ( way to go points awarded by clicking the (GREAT POST) on a post you like)  I know the horrors of Desert as my Jones was german Chocolate Cake  and it nearly killed me..WELCOME . :o

Offline redrider

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7930 on: September 26, 2017, 07:24:02 AM »
Be sure to be on the HOME PAGE to use the search bar and it will search the whole forum as it will search within the page it is in and unless you know ...it is best to search from HOME. Also pictures may be a problem as the free hosting site many members used has gone to NOT allowing the hosting and so ,you may have to ask for images again. I saw two such threads for a rack to carry fuel cans on a vehicle so I can guess one of those is what you were after.

WELCOME
Thanks for your answer, Carl. I still haven't found the racks I saw - they were racks in a garage for Jack's 12 month fuel rotation system.

Pretty sure I was on the home page while searching - I'll try again. Still learning to get around here ;D And I'm still curious if there is a better forum in which to ask this type of question?

Thanks,

rr

rr

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7931 on: September 26, 2017, 09:00:26 AM »
Thanks for your answer, Carl. I still haven't found the racks I saw - they were racks in a garage for Jack's 12 month fuel rotation system.

Pretty sure I was on the home page while searching - I'll try again. Still learning to get around here ;D And I'm still curious if there is a better forum in which to ask this type of question?

Thanks,

rr

rr

Better forum??? I doubt it. Other forums...probably.

I would look at a firewood rack and build a double deck unit with back rails and open front  and security cable lock with a combo lock on each level so a key is not needed or a key lock and a combo to allow you ,or someone you are helping access to the fuel with key or you telling them the combo.

Offline TheLastBoyscout

• Prepper
  • When you stop learning its time to hang it up.
« Reply #7932 on: September 27, 2017, 05:23:21 AM »
Did they want to say a better thread?
Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7933 on: September 27, 2017, 05:33:03 AM »

I don't know. I did what I could to help .
 Maybe a search for 'gas can rack' in GOOGLE IMAGES will find an image he recognizes and he can then view the page it is on?
That is how I find 'lost' pages.

Offline redrider

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7934 on: September 27, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »

Yes! or board, perhaps? Topic? The terminology escapes me. Sorry.

rr

And since my nick is ambiguous, "they" is a she - you're very tactful, Boyscout.  :D

Offline TheLastBoyscout

• Prepper
« Reply #7935 on: September 28, 2017, 04:34:13 AM »

rr

And since my nick is ambiguous, "they" is a she - you're very tactful, Boyscout.  :D
I am not a politically correct person often so you might want to make a note.  This one happened at random. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7936 on: September 28, 2017, 05:41:11 AM »

rr

But I thought it was not acceptable to use 'gender' pronouns any longer,even though I still open doors for females when I can.
Maybe a female avatar photo like Carmen San Diego or similar,if it's important ?   

Offline Tilga

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #7937 on: October 10, 2017, 03:44:42 AM »
hello and first post test.
lol tried for ages on my iPhone and couldnt get past the letter picture.
long time listener and will now start into the forum.

Im from the north of NSW in Australia.
I started listening to Jack in his first few months of jetta travel. and after a long hiatus with life stuff I've made it back to the podcasts.
Australian Army as a mechanic for nearly 11 years. Then into IT for 10 before being retrenched and looking after my 2 kids full-time for the next 4.
TBC
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 04:07:01 AM by Tilga »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7938 on: October 10, 2017, 05:26:05 AM »
TILGA Welcome to the forum. The search bar will help you read up on many subjects and I would think you have much to share with us as this FORUM is alive and lives with users ,like yourself,asking and answering questions and discussing many subjects of prepping. Make yourself at home and please share your experience as you become part of this community.

Offline Redman

• Survivor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #7939 on: October 10, 2017, 06:37:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum Tilga.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline TheLastBoyscout

• Prepper
« Reply #7940 on: October 10, 2017, 08:28:07 AM »
Welcome to the family.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7941 on: October 10, 2017, 05:12:40 PM »
Welcome Tilga

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline dfarm

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7942 on: October 10, 2017, 08:51:11 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but not to the podcast.  It makes my commutes much more enjoyable.

I'm looking forward to participating here.

Offline Redman

• Survivor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #7943 on: October 11, 2017, 02:53:30 AM »
Welcome to the forum dfarm.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7944 on: October 11, 2017, 03:35:53 PM »
Welcome to the forum dfarm.

+1 dfarm

Offline CoralRives

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7945 on: October 20, 2017, 08:34:56 AM »
Hello gang.  Just checking in to say hello.  I'm new to this website and forum.  Just joined recently.  I've been reading prep books for a year or so now and have just started dipping into the lifestyle change. As a neophyte, it's been a bit overwhelming as some of you know.  My only real-life applicable experience with all this would be my fishing and hunting experience as well as my long distance hiking experience.  In 2007 I attempted a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail.  I made it from GA to VA.  I learned a lot about hiking, light-weight backpacking, camping, trail health issues and other skills.  I have a large gun safe stocked with guns and ammo and have just started to look into food storage. I am a private pilot and I used to teach at a vocational dive school in the Keys where we would instruct folks to become dive instructors and placed them throughout the world teaching SCUBA.
I look forward to reading as much as I can here and learning from all of your combined experience!  Thanks.

Johnny 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7946 on: October 20, 2017, 09:01:32 AM »
Hello gang.  Just checking in to say hello.  I'm new to this website and forum.  Just joined recently.  I've been reading prep books for a year or so now and have just started dipping into the lifestyle change. As a neophyte, it's been a bit overwhelming as some of you know.  My only real-life applicable experience with all this would be my fishing and hunting experience as well as my long distance hiking experience.  In 2007 I attempted a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail.  I made it from GA to VA.  I learned a lot about hiking, light-weight backpacking, camping, trail health issues and other skills.  I have a large gun safe stocked with guns and ammo and have just started to look into food storage. I am a private pilot and I used to teach at a vocational dive school in the Keys where we would instruct folks to become dive instructors and placed them throughout the world teaching SCUBA.
I look forward to reading as much as I can here and learning from all of your combined experience!  Thanks.

Johnny

Welcome, Don't be overwhelmed. Most of being prepared is in being able to provide for you and families needs for a period of time when FOOD,WATER,POWER...are not ordinarily available. I suspect you are more 'on the ball' than you realize. Guns are fine ,though the need for them ,besides hunting,will hopefully be rare as you really can't shoot a storm. Look at your area and make a list of realistic threats to your 'normal' way of life...loss of job,storms,earthquake?,mutant zombies?...and most things you will need are the same to provide for your comfortable way of life.

One step at a time is how to walk towards independence and the most important things ,after food,power,water, are SKILLS and the best bag to carry skills in is your BRAIN and I must comment that you already have a good bit of skills from your intro, join in add your thought,successes,failures here as this group is 'alive' because of many like you who are on the path to being independent ...I look at all I need to do from the high vantage point of what I have already done...but I may never do all I want

Offline CoralRives

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7947 on: October 20, 2017, 09:08:07 AM »
Thank you for that warm welcome and great words of advice Carl.  I do appreciate it. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7948 on: October 20, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »
Thank you for that warm welcome and great words of advice Carl.  I do appreciate it.

I have some files on my Google Drive that most members have had the opportunity to download. You are welcome
to any you may want ,just as I found them FREE. About 50 Gig or so is a small part of my archives.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5ZIZLZV4AwIMFlYMTI5OTNlUTA

Offline CoralRives

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7949 on: October 20, 2017, 12:46:10 PM »
WOW!  Quite the resource!   I need to get reading.  I also need to start printing some of this in case....   Thank you for the share!