Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1814734 times)

Offline ChangeHope

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #8100 on: August 07, 2018, 12:42:33 PM »
Hello, everyone.  For a long time, I have been thinking about taking steps to be prepared and make myself more self reliant.  A friend of mine recently introduced me to the survival podcast, and I think this is all a truly amazing resource.  I am happy to find a group of like-minded people.  I hope that you all can help me grow in my journey and that I can help you to grow in yours as well. 

As I am new and just getting started in this, I am wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of some specific podcasts that would help  me learn the ropes a bit. When you sign up on this site, it recommends several episodes that are some of the top rated episodes. I have listened to those, but where do I go from there?  With over 10 years of episodes, I am not quite sure where to begin.  Any recommendations for me?

Thanks so much, and I look forward to learning and sharing with all of you!

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #8101 on: August 07, 2018, 05:33:05 PM »
Welcome Change Hope,  I don’t keep up with the podcasts too well, but there are several here who should be able to help you find some.  Where are you living now?  What kind of place do you have?

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8102 on: August 07, 2018, 07:13:13 PM »
Welcome.  ;D

Offline ChangeHope

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8103 on: August 08, 2018, 06:36:48 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes.  Yeah, I live in Eastern NC right now.  I currently live in town, but I just purchased a 30 acre piece of property out in the country.  My goal is to move there and live a more simple lifestyle.  I want to grow and raise my own food out there and stop being so dependent upon everything else for my survival.  Right now, I am just starting to do some basic prepping.  I'm storing up water and food, but I want to do more.  I've got a ton of stuff  to do in the next few years with all the work on the land, but I enjoy every minute of it, and I know the hard work is going to be worth it.  Any advice you have for me is much appreciated!  What about you all?  What kind of setup do you have?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #8104 on: August 08, 2018, 03:56:21 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes.  Yeah, I live in Eastern NC right now.  I currently live in town, but I just purchased a 30 acre piece of property out in the country.  My goal is to move there and live a more simple lifestyle.  I want to grow and raise my own food out there and stop being so dependent upon everything else for my survival.  Right now, I am just starting to do some basic prepping.  I'm storing up water and food, but I want to do more.  I've got a ton of stuff  to do in the next few years with all the work on the land, but I enjoy every minute of it, and I know the hard work is going to be worth it.  Any advice you have for me is much appreciated!  What about you all?  What kind of setup do you have?

GOOD water filters are smaller,lighter,and more likely to be healthy when needed,easier to store too.The best thing to start with is EDUCATION as this will better guide the rest of your desired path ti independence. I have a few files I have saved that may be of some aide to you,Download any,just as I collected them FREE. Sorry they aren't so well organized..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5ZIZLZV4AwIMFlYMTI5OTNlUTA

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #8105 on: August 08, 2018, 05:39:33 PM »
I’m sitting in West Michigan on 27 acres.  My spouse and I work outside the home and we have one minor child and three adults out on their own.  I call what we have a hobby farm.  I cut and sell some hay and keep some bees and a small orchard.  We’ve also done beef, hogs, and chickens over the years.

Offline ChangeHope

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8106 on: August 09, 2018, 06:32:24 AM »
Wow thanks for the resources, Carl.  I am looking through this now, and  this is some really great information you have gathered up.  You have allot of info on the areas I'm interested in.  I agree with you on the education part.  Instead of running out and buying a bunch of crap I don't need, I've got to learn a bit more about what I am doing first.  Knowledge is power.  Thanks again for your help!

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8107 on: August 09, 2018, 09:34:54 AM »
Wow thanks for the resources, Carl.  I am looking through this now, and  this is some really great information you have gathered up.  You have allot of info on the areas I'm interested in.  I agree with you on the education part.  Instead of running out and buying a bunch of crap I don't need, I've got to learn a bit more about what I am doing first.  Knowledge is power.  Thanks again for your help!

Store what you eat. Eat what you store (rotation).

We live in the boonies on 31 acres. Retired. Raise all the food we can.
Can and dehydrate a lot of it. Raise a few animals

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #8108 on: August 16, 2018, 05:14:01 PM »
Re-hello to all!  I was very active on the forum a few years back. Got busy with wife, kid, house, work, business venture, and more, so had to step away for a while.

Discovered a lot in my travels, and as my business grew (protection and preparedness training) I thought it'd be wise to re-connect with the fine folks of this forum.

Glad to be back.  =)

Don

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8109 on: August 16, 2018, 06:02:29 PM »
Welcome back donald

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #8110 on: August 16, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »
Thanks man!

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #8111 on: August 24, 2018, 11:09:48 AM »
I remember you, Been a while.  ;D  Welcome back.  You've got a couple years of slack to make up for now....    :P :P

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8112 on: August 24, 2018, 12:23:21 PM »
I remember you, Been a while.  ;D  Welcome back.  You've got a couple years of slack to make up for now....    :P :P

Yea, he needs to get fired up. Teach us newbies (newer than him) some of his tricks/knowledge.  ;D

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #8113 on: August 25, 2018, 02:33:43 PM »
So in my away time, I kinda switched from a preparedness paradigm to a 'homesteading' paradigm. I got 13 acres, a house built on it, and the apple orchard that was once hear cleared of vines and 30+ years of neglect. The land is Michigan woodland, so a lot of underbrush, and finding where someone has been dumping for years.

"Preparedness" has been a bit slow at the family level because we were in an apartment for a while and couldnt really do many projects. Slowly ramping back up. Water reserves first (this is easy) then clearing out a section for a garden.  =)   After that, looking at a cash crop of some type, as well as maybe 6 chickens to start and a couple goats.

D

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8114 on: August 25, 2018, 05:25:40 PM »
Sounds great. You'll make it.

You'll need more chickens though

Offline brianstoy1974

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8115 on: September 02, 2018, 01:06:49 AM »
hi, im brian anderson
 im sorry, im sure im not posting in the correct  place. this is my firstpost,  ive came across  several wet nicad storage batteries. triing to find classifieds. whare i can post for sale.   

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8116 on: September 02, 2018, 06:32:41 AM »
hi, im brian anderson
 im sorry, im sure im not posting in the correct  place. this is my firstpost,  ive came across  several wet nicad storage batteries. triing to find classifieds. whare i can post for sale.

I suggest that you post local to you as shipping and HAZMAT costs are crazy high .

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #8117 on: September 03, 2018, 11:42:46 AM »
Hi, Brian, welcome to TSP Forum!

We do have a classified ads section here, but it can only be used by members who have a substantial history of forum participation.  More info here: Posting In The Swap Meet Board

Offline veneprepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8118 on: September 04, 2018, 10:33:29 AM »
Hello, I'm Claudio. I´m from Venezuela but have been living in Chile for a few years. Into prepping for a couple of years. A little limited in my prepping from lack of funds, but with the right mentality. Sorry about my bad grammar and spelling mistakes, but english is not my first language.
Here to read and learn. Thanks

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8119 on: September 04, 2018, 12:59:01 PM »
  Welcome CLAUDIO Veneprepper make yourself at home here.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8120 on: September 05, 2018, 10:40:44 AM »
  Welcome CLAUDIO Veneprepper make yourself at home here.

+1

Welcome!!

Offline ChangeHope

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8121 on: September 18, 2018, 12:38:12 PM »
Welcome aboard!  I hope you learn much in here, just as I have!

Offline scoop

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8122 on: September 18, 2018, 04:10:37 PM »
Hello, longtime prepper here in the South West.
I enjoy outdoor activities and making sawdust.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8123 on: September 18, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »
Welcome scoop

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #8124 on: September 18, 2018, 04:57:04 PM »
Hello, longtime prepper here in the South West.
I enjoy outdoor activities and making sawdust.

Hello and welcome scoop. Outdoor stuff and making sawdust are good.

Offline scoop

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8125 on: September 18, 2018, 05:26:19 PM »
Thanks Stwood and Redman.

Offline Lxndr2189

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8126 on: September 21, 2018, 12:50:03 PM »
Just would like to introduce myself to the community I love everything homesteading and the freedom it brings! Would love to connect with people and share ideas

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8127 on: September 21, 2018, 11:17:57 PM »
Welcome  Lxndr
Join right in.

Offline AmishFarmer

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8128 on: October 31, 2018, 06:34:01 PM »
Hi! I am new here but oh so not new to prepping, homesteading and survival! I am a MOM of 6 yes 6 kids. All out of the house. The biggest kid is my hubs. We have been married for 25 years now.  We are so the flip of most I am the driving force behind all our "weirdness" Hubs I am convinced would die if I left. And he has agreed. So about us we live in a TOTALLY off grid (well except for the net!)bought and paid in full house. Heat and cook on a wonderful older than me woodstove and LOVE it. Solar and gen for power, well, and cistern for water. Have goats, rabbits, chickens and of course dogs and cats.  Will be adding a cow and a small horse.  I keep hubs around for things like killing the animals and the really heavy lifting or climbing on ladders, he keeps me around for my outstanding ability to start a fire LOL!  I have always been "into" animals and my dream (that has come true) was to have a farm and be a farmer. the prepping came from my first hubs being a jerk and leaving me and babies without food. I had a Scarlett O'Hara moment "With God as my witness I shall NEVER go hungry again" and have stood by that for over 20 years now. My pantry has seen us thru some slim times, a couple of hurricanes and some unemployment for hubs.  I have been banned from Facebook since it has gone so bad so I need a place that is semi safe to visit with others like us! Look forward to visiting!

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8129 on: October 31, 2018, 08:46:56 PM »
Hi!

Welcome! Great post!
Tell us about your pantry!! And your canning!!