Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 2141500 times)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #8250 on: March 27, 2020, 10:45:54 PM »

Welcome richardr

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8251 on: March 31, 2020, 08:26:49 PM »
Hey everybody, just / finally signed up. Been a TSP listener for a long time and a 'sort of' prepper since the Northridge Earthquake destroyed my house and caught me with no prepared resources and empty gas tanks. It was a hard lesson, but I learned it fast. And when the covid-19 shopping panic hit the wife and I just sat at home on 4mos+ worth of foodstuffs and 60+ rolls of TP and patted ourselves on the back. And I figured I'd better pay a little something to Jack for all the great info and expertise he's brought together. So just did, minutes ago.

That is one heck of a hard intro to prepping...

Welcome to the group

Offline CkNNoCo

• Fledgling Prepper
  • what have i gotten myself in to???
« Reply #8252 on: April 02, 2020, 06:27:15 PM »
Hello, I am new to Northern Colorado and purchased an off grid home on a mountain, this is nothing like my former home in Texas. I have never considered myself a prepper, or survivalist.... but this virus that is ravaging our world has shown me just how prepared I was! I have a solar panel array with a propane powered generator backup. I survived the first winter up here, so far, and have learned many lessons... some costly, some not.
I have a lot of issues and questions about this whole solar thing... I am not sure if it is working correctly... Something tells me it isn’t. HELP!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #8253 on: April 02, 2020, 10:10:13 PM »
Welcome, new folks (and returning folks)!

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8254 on: April 03, 2020, 12:58:05 PM »
Hello, I am new to Northern Colorado and purchased an off grid home on a mountain, this is nothing like my former home in Texas. I have never considered myself a prepper, or survivalist.... but this virus that is ravaging our world has shown me just how prepared I was! I have a solar panel array with a propane powered generator backup. I survived the first winter up here, so far, and have learned many lessons... some costly, some not.
I have a lot of issues and questions about this whole solar thing... I am not sure if it is working correctly... Something tells me it isn’t. HELP!

Welcome CkNNoCO,

Welcome to the group, we have a mighty diverse group of people here....

Making it thru the first winter is a major accomplishment.  One of the things that Colorado does not have in many parts is a good steady supply of water.

Offline Boethius

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8255 on: April 06, 2020, 07:17:56 AM »
Hi All! - I was introduced to TSP several years ago and have been listening when I can.  I'm 45, married and my wife and I have 6 children, (yes, I know what causes this and we are grateful for the blessing of each one).  I work for a large financial services company and I'm a Client Relations Manager.  We live in rural NH and we love it.  I've been working towards self sufficiency/homesteading but have a lot more work to do.  We have some chickens that provide eggs, have attempted a garden in years past, (with mediocre success), and I heat our home with firewood that I process myself, (we have a traditional boiler/furnace that runs on fuel oil but our woodstove provides most of our heat during the winter).  I grew up with guns in our home and we have some now but I've never hunted and have never done any type of tactical training, (lots of work to do here).  Finally bit the bullet and joined the Membership Brigade - figured it was the least I could do to return the generous education that Jack and TSP have given me.  Thanks for having me on this forum!

Offline IKN

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8256 on: April 06, 2020, 10:06:38 AM »
Welcome Boethius, beautiful country over your way.

Offline memphistx

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • The Station at 19e
« Reply #8257 on: April 22, 2020, 04:14:04 PM »
Have been a listener since 2011. I own The Station at 19e Appalachian Trail Hiker Hostel which includes 35 bunks, Restaurant/Craft Beer Pub, Music Hall, Gaming Lounge, Shuttle Services and Resupply. Not your Jack's hostel back in the day.  We grow most of the food for the restaurant at the hobby farm complete with goats, chickens, aquaponics etc.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8258 on: April 23, 2020, 05:55:51 AM »
That is very cool, Memphis. Glad to have you here. Hope things are going ok for you there.

Offline Mona

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8259 on: April 24, 2020, 04:53:35 AM »
Hi everyone, I've been listening to the podcast for a while and thought I'd join the forum... . I'm 33, living in an appartment in a city in Germany and prepping is honestly mostly something I think about, much more interested in the gardening shows. I have 1 pet pony, no attached humans and I work in an organic bakery.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8260 on: April 24, 2020, 08:12:38 AM »
Welcome Mona

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8261 on: April 24, 2020, 08:56:48 AM »
Hi Mona. Dad's side came over from Germany in the 1800's.

Offline Mona

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8262 on: April 24, 2020, 02:24:51 PM »

Carver, the important question is WHERE in Germany :P

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8263 on: April 24, 2020, 07:57:55 PM »
Welcome Mona! So glad you are here... My husband and I lived in Fulda 1983-7, before the wall came down... haven't been back since 2007, when we made a trip to visit relatives (mostly in Trier) and a trip to Rome :)

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8264 on: April 24, 2020, 09:57:48 PM »

Carver, the important question is WHERE in Germany :P
I'll have to look that up from my older brother's work who has traveled Germany and done the family tree research. As I recall it might've been France then but Germany now.

Offline UrbanSoILGuy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8265 on: April 28, 2020, 11:52:32 PM »
Hi y'all,

My name is Ryan, and I am from the metro east area in Southern Illinois. I have a wife, son, and one on the way. I came to this group via Jack guest speaking on another podcast that I regularly listen to, and started to listen to Jack.  After that, it was like drinking from a fire hose.  Been hooked ever since. 

I work as a firefighter in my city, and as an industrial rope access contractor.  I've always considered considered myself as a prepared person, or so I thought. My family has always been stocked to last a minimum of 30 days or more.  However, we have not been doing the most with our urban lot though to make ourselves more food, water and energy self-sufficient.

Jack's knowledge on backyard husbandry, permaculture, and general food production techniques has hooked me.  I am going to strive to take my family to the next level of preparedness, and hopefully gain and give advice as I learn along the way.  I also intend to be an asset to the forum in sharing what ever applicable knowledge that I can from my experiences in the fire service. 

Look forward to contributing to this community, and thanks for having me.

Offline Noob Prepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • There's another way to do this.
« Reply #8266 on: April 29, 2020, 12:24:19 PM »
Greetings, all. Noob Prepper here (NP or Noob works). I'm a "returning" member here. I listened years ago and while I agreed with the message of being reliant on the self and immediate community because being caught with your pants down is no good, I didn't go hull-down on it because it felt to "bandwagon-y". I thought if I had started prepping myself, I'd be one of those people who finds something new and acts like it preaches gospel ("Oh I'd better prepare for WW3/economic collapse/a biological outbreak!"). Basically, my mindset was, "They're not crazy and they make sense, but do I REALLY have anything to worry about?" That was until I became homeless. Now, I'm a prepper and there isn't a bandwagon that'll keep me from learning.

My main focus is to prep for the individual STHF (this was a conversation had years ago when I last participated in the prepper/survivalist community). That experience was not fun, and I took a lot of hits on the chin. So most of what I ask and discuss here will be about insulation against homelessness, or a job loss, or an economic collapse (as that is the most likely given the corona), and I hope that those of you with the knowledge to offer would be willing to square me away. I'm eager to learn and make the prepper lifestyle something I carry with me from here on out, because I will NOT be caught with my pants down again. Trust and believe.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8267 on: April 29, 2020, 06:41:19 PM »
Welcome both noob & Ryan

The world is not ending til it does, and it does for each and all of us.   scratch that - too gloomy and that is not what we are all about. ...but I do like Jack's motto about prepping for times are bad and even good. 

I love the  duck chronicles videos that Jack created and have always enjoyed the backyard garden talk.

and once again welcome

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8268 on: April 30, 2020, 07:18:35 AM »
Welcome Urban and Noob. Jump right in.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8269 on: April 30, 2020, 08:05:40 AM »
Welcome, Jack has a MSB sale on now for $25 annual membership. Lots of bennies.
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=7857.0 is a good place to start, and come back to.

Offline Noob Prepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • There's another way to do this.
« Reply #8270 on: April 30, 2020, 02:57:38 PM »
Welcome, Jack has a MSB sale on now for $25 annual membership. Lots of bennies.
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=7857.0 is a good place to start, and come back to.

Thanks for the link. I'll get to those soon. Good reminder that there is a better way to do this.

I'd wink there but I don't use emotes.

Offline eco1776

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8271 on: April 30, 2020, 03:00:27 PM »
Greetings all. I've been listening (off and on) since Jack was recording in his car. Seems forever ago. A couple of years back I sort of "burned out" on survival topics and tuned out (this is back when Jack first went full tilt into permaculture). Quit gardening, canning, etc. Just got fed up with it all.

Then this past winter I decided I wanted to start things back up again. Started doing more research and returned here to see what I'd missed. Turns out, I missed a LOT. Then this stupid WuFlu hit and it's really put a damper on my plans. Been catching up on old podcasts of interest and starting to plan further.

My latest interest is hydroponics. Posted earlier today about it - I need a real "idiots guide" or even a set of plans for a true beginner. I spent my youth on a 4500 acre farm in NC and got burned out on large scale stuff. Just want to grow some veg to supplement what's coming in through the supply chain. Fair warning, I eat whole food plant based - so I eat a LOT of veg. Don't worry, I don't preach. LOL

I have a 4x16 garden out back where I'll grow sweet corn, squash, and beans. I have 5-gal containers for potatoes (determinants; yukon gold types) and tomatoes (German Johnson and Purple Calabash from Monticello). I have smaller containers on the deck for basil, thyme, oregano, and sage. But I think I'd like to explore hydroponics more, something extremely simple and inexpensive for greens (lettuces, spinach, maybe some more herbs, etc.).

So, just dropping in to introduce myself and say "Hi!"

Mike

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8272 on: April 30, 2020, 05:03:08 PM »
eco1776, sounds interesting. welcome. I left off here also, not into the permaculture stuff, I'm more like getting tomatoes to grow.

Offline JenniH

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8273 on: May 04, 2020, 10:46:28 AM »
Hello All!
I’m Jenni, a licensed massage therapist in middle, TN. I am a momma of 3 and just getting good footing on my walk to independence. I haven’t been listening to Jack as long as most, just a couple of years, but the podcast has helped me grow leaps and bounds in so many areas of my life.  I’m still a newbie to a lot of things but the best thing I’ve learned is we don’t have to do it all and definitely not all at once. The important parts are being prepared for what our own personal lives look like and what’s important to us.

For me that looks like food stability & personal safety amongst other things. I enjoy learning about foraging and wild edibles, herbal remedies and ferments. I do what I can since I do not have my own homestead yet, but most large skills can also be practiced on a small level which is why I currently am tinkering with Kratky hydroponics in Mason jars. I have a few meads going as well as some vegetable ferments.

Outside of that, I just really like plants and nature, hiking, fishing, traveling and just having new experiences.
Look forward to interacting with you all!

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8274 on: May 04, 2020, 12:48:14 PM »
Welcome all

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8275 on: May 04, 2020, 12:48:52 PM »

Offline Antony

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8276 on: May 10, 2020, 03:27:59 AM »
Hi folks, I'm new to the forums, though I've been a listener on and off for a number of years now.  TSP resonates because of the realism and common sense approach Jack and everyone brings.  I'm in my 40s, my background's in IT, and I'm from the UK.  Since my 20s I've been practicing and later teaching self-defence.  I've also been learning about the dark side of the medical system, and natural healing alternatives for a number of years too.  One of my goals is to live off-grid, I'm a long way from that, though I enjoy learning through the podcast.  Looking forwards to interacting with you folks on the forums.
Cheers, Antony

Offline Ufester

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8277 on: May 13, 2020, 08:10:27 AM »
Hi
My name is Al  in from the Dallas area

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?