Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1958659 times)

Raoul Duke

Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #570 on: August 03, 2009, 01:09:03 PM »
My name is Nathaniel and I live in what I refer to as the “reasonable half” of a most unreasonable state…yup, Massachusetts. (And yes, I am a masshole- go SOX!)

But despite the B hat and the erratic driving skills, I’m a relaxed sorta guy. I own a marcomm firm that eats up much of my days. When I’m not working, I spend most of my time wandering around in the woods with my black dog Blue. I write for various publications, Blog, play the guitar and enjoy things that go bang…like guns. In fact, while I have little debt, I also have little else in the way of possessions besides guns, guitars and some clothing.

As far as preps I have extensive BOB plans and actually, I just finished an article that I’ll post as soon as I get the feel for things around here. I have a fair amount of equipment but I am way behind on the food preps. In fact, that’s one of the things I plan to rectify with your (collective) help and suggestions.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to getting to know you all in the coming months.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #571 on: August 03, 2009, 01:20:44 PM »
Welcome Hunter… Errr… Umm… Raoul.  ;)

I look forward to reading your BOB plans.

Raoul Duke

« Reply #572 on: August 03, 2009, 03:15:06 PM »
Thanks Dan. I noticed there's a Dr. Gonzo here allready but as I use Raoul Duke across a few forums for the sake of consistency so...

Best Regards,

Nathaniel

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #573 on: August 03, 2009, 04:28:39 PM »
Welcome, Raoul!  More than a few of us are big fans of Mr. Thompson, so you're in good company.  :)

Offline GreatScot!

• Prepper
« Reply #574 on: August 03, 2009, 08:10:18 PM »
Hi group, Len here from North Central Indiana, 20 minutes from Lake Michigan. I found TSPC on Lew Rockwell. After waking up a year or so ago, and after reading and listening to so much stuff, (Austrian Economics makes my head hurt), it was refreshing to find someone with a balanced view that I could relate to. Jack is gifted with the ability to teach us how to actually DO something on a daily basis that improves our lives, rather than just screaming at the Denizens of Mordor on the Potomac.
 My wife and I are empty nesters and enjoying it. I like my firearms, ( I'm a Berretta Junkie), gardening,and fishing. I'm a classically trained violinist, proficient in the use of explosives, (the copper mining kind), I enjoy a good 15 year single malt, fragrant tobacco, and I read the good Book and Reformed/Calvinist Theology. My wife is on board with our preps, has her own firearms and knows how to use them. We have a long way to go, but by working and storing a little each day we will reach our goal of "turning our house into a homestead"
I'm very new at forums and will stumble around abit I'm sure. I look forward to meeting you all. Thanks, Len

ps Thanks Jack!

also learned a new word today...Ass Clown... helps to build the vocabulary!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #575 on: August 03, 2009, 08:54:32 PM »
Great Scot!!!  ;D  welcome, Len.  :)  I'm fairly sure you'll love it here.  :)

also learned a new word today...Ass Clown... helps to build the vocabulary!

It is a fantastic word, and will make others around you giggle with appreciation.  :D

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #576 on: August 03, 2009, 09:16:26 PM »
Welcome to the boards y'all. ;D

Goatdog62

« Reply #577 on: August 04, 2009, 11:08:02 AM »
Hi all,

As they say on talk radio; long time listener - first time caller. I've been listening to the podcast on and off since show #8 and found the forum last fall.

Being a natural skeptic and having been burned by start-ups before, I decided to give this thing a year before jumping in with both feet. One of three things was bound to happen; 1)TSP would turn out to be a flash in the pan (after all, who can do maintain this kind of motivation on a daily basis), 2) It would become a huge success and Jack would become an insufferable martinet, or 3) it would become an actual success and maintain all the qualities that got it that way in the first place. Well, it seems (happily) that Jack has bucked the odds and taken TSP to the third outcome! :) (way to go man!)

That being said, I grew up in the Arkansas Ozarks (where this stuff was called "life"), played a little bit with some boys from Benning back in the day, but then got "successful" and proceeded to go to sleep for 20 years. Currently in exile in the wrong part of New England, I hope to go back south in the next year or so; Arkansas (maybe), or Texas (more likely).

By circumstance and inclination, I am currently more of a Beans & Bullets guy, but if things work out I'll find use for all the archived homesteading stuff before too many more years go by.

Semper Vig

So you're the infamous Cooter Brown. When I first started cop work in TN I had a witness describe the suspect as "he was drunker than Cooter Brown." I was like "Who the hell is Cooter Brown? Eventually I realized that this guy was everywhere. I wish I could have arrested him as was forever hearing "he had a gun bigger than Cooter Browns' or " he beat his wife worse than Cooter Brown"

You should turn yourself in Cooter, you have warrants all over Tennessee. ;D

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #578 on: August 04, 2009, 12:21:23 PM »
"he was drunker than Cooter Brown."

That's where I came by the name back in the day  :) No comment on the other two slanderous misuses of a fine name!

CB

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #579 on: August 04, 2009, 02:06:44 PM »
In Appalachia the sir name Brown is common.
And Cooter is like Bud or Skeeter or June Bug.
So Cooter Brown is basicly the John Smith of Appalachia and I would assume its leached into most Red Neck areas (Redneckia).
 ;D
Up in the more northern areas of Appalachia, Schneider seems to replace Brown as the point of the joke.

Raoul Duke

« Reply #580 on: August 04, 2009, 08:53:19 PM »
Learn something new every day...huh, interesting. Thanks for the tidbit and thanks for the welcome. I'm not surprised to hear that there are more than a few fans of the good doctor in these circles. The man loved freedom, firearms, and creativity. That's the better part of our stock and trade here right?

Offline WorstCaseScenario

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #581 on: August 04, 2009, 09:11:18 PM »
Hello to all my fellow survivors... My name is Paul and I currently reside in Northwest Indiana, but am about to relocate to Northwest Arkansas. 

I am a Former US Marine (1990-1994).  Currently I am a Security Consultant (for the past 15 years).   I travel all over the world for my clients, but mostly CONUS.  I have been into preparedness since I was a young boy growing up in South Louisiana.  I really got back into it after I completed S.E.R.E. School in California.  Out of all the training I have acquired over the years, that is the only certificate I have framed and on display.  My favorite preparedness book is "Dare To Prepare" by Stan and Holly Deyo.  I really like "The Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency" by John Seymour also. 

I have responded to several disasters over the years, and have seen first hand why it is good to be prepared.  I have seen all the shelves in Walmart and Home Depot empty with no chance of resupply for quite awhile.  I have heard the sob stories and seen the crying of the men and women who wished they had prepared to take care of their family in a situation like that.  I have been warning people for years and years not to be dependent on the "Just In Time" delivery system we have grown accustomed to in the US. 

Well, I guess that is enough about me for now.  I look forward to trading ideas with like-minded survivors. 

Paul

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #582 on: August 04, 2009, 10:07:40 PM »
welcome worstcasescenario.  goatdog62 is/was a SERE instructor i think

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #583 on: August 04, 2009, 11:47:56 PM »
Welcome Paul.

I look forward to learning from you.

Goatdog62

« Reply #584 on: August 05, 2009, 12:08:06 AM »
welcome worstcasescenario.  goatdog62 is/was a SERE instructor i think

I teach it a few times a year for a few weeks a pop. One of my favorites. Really big on the Houdini stuff now also (escaping from confinement, defeating restraints, lockpicking, vehicle commandeering, etc). The rest of the year is mundane tactics, firearms, explosives, protection, high performance driving/carfighting, survival, navigation, etc. For excitement i take on short gigs overseas.

I've always enjoyed my work :).

Offline SvrWx

• Prepper
« Reply #585 on: August 05, 2009, 11:11:55 AM »
Hello All!! I am new to this concept...well at least in action.  I have always wanted to know more of what was involved in the survival mentality...knowing how to take care of ones self and family...grow food, etc.  I have taken some actions, I am storing food...slowly...and we have also set up rain barrels to harvest rain coming off our roof.  Little things.  It's a shame that I live in a subdivision with a HOA, but we are making due with what we can.  But our soil is horrible (Sod on top of sand) so we have a raised bed with plans for more.  We are getting there. 

Enjoy the podcast and the forum. 

tutorchelle

« Reply #586 on: August 05, 2009, 01:12:08 PM »
Hi, I'm Chelle and I just joined the forum, as well as the TSP Brigade today, both of which I have been wanting to do for quite a while. I'm a Navy veteran, and I first discovered the podcast while getting tired of some other ones on iTunes that only bred fear and never really made my husband and me feel like we were capable of doing much to help ourselves prepare for emergencies, big or little.

Jack's podcasts were something I could actually listen to with my husband and we have started prepping more, beans and rice, gardening, little things. Plus we can start teaching his young kids things as well, so that when they return to their mother's for the school year, they will retain what they know, as well as the things she has taught them (we do not agree with everything they do up there, but at least she teaches them basic life skills and she grew up out in the country and has taught them a few things that most kids these days don't seem to know, so that is good).

Growing up in the city like I did up in Michigan I felt like I missed out on so much. I am glad to be down in Alabama for the past decade or so, and hope to meet like-minded people in my region; I can't offer much in the way of help right now, but I'm a good typist and tutor, offer online assistance with any newbies if you are new to the web (though I don't know if there are too many of those left), and have such other skills that aren't too handy in the survival realm, but were good when I was in the "real world of work," lol. I'm basically a homebody these days and am happy to be a stepmother and a helper to my husband, especially when it comes to these things.

Most of the people I have met that are into these things are on Facebook and other such sites, and it feels too impersonal. I like the atmosphere of the podcast, and of this forum. I know I'm really going to like it here :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 02:18:03 PM by DeltaEchoVictor »

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #587 on: August 05, 2009, 05:03:36 PM »
Welcome SvrWx!  I'd call you SW, but that name's already taken. ;D

Bfblair

« Reply #588 on: August 05, 2009, 05:53:32 PM »

Hey there folks.   Let me start off by saying I came across TSP in April of this year and was hooked from the start.   I wanted to take a moment of your time today and hopefully give a little something back to show my appreciation for the knowledge and plain common sense I've garnered as a listener.

I think I'm a fairly typical 30 something male living in America today and like many here the troubles in the economy were a bit of an eye opener for me.   Doing it justice I would call it the second most significant incident of my lifetime.   The first was September 11th,  that terrible day hit me in a way I'm sure many of you wouldn't relate too and might even despise.   It was the first time in my life I could honestly say that I felt patriotism.   I really hadn't ever needed it before.   I took many things for granted and grew up not trusting the government.   I hate politics and considered the US the best at playing a filthy disgusting game.   Folks what I didn't realize is that I was throwing the baby out with the bathwater.    Today being a patriot to me is about what I can do to make myself a better American.   Not just what can I get out of America.    I wanted to share that with you.

Moving on though the economy woke me up in a different way.    I was a total grasshopper.   Living check to check and keeping up with the Jones' seemed more like just being normal than the insanity it appears to me today.   Once a good portion of my 401k was gone I had to give some serious thought to just where I was really at and more importantly just where the hell was I trying to get too.    My life plan up to that point consisted pretty much of working until I could retire then dying before the money ran out.   Sustainability wasn't really in the picture.

Sustainability is the most important concept I've taken from TSP.   The guidance and direction I've gotten from the show, the forum members, and all of the supporters has been key in helping to shape myself into a healthy functioning ant.    I want to thank you Jack and everyone else for that.   Keep up the good work.   

Bryan in Indy.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #589 on: August 05, 2009, 06:11:38 PM »
Welcome Bryan!

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #590 on: August 05, 2009, 06:14:02 PM »
Welcome Bryan. you gonna love it here buddy

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #591 on: August 05, 2009, 09:31:35 PM »
Welcome Bryan
We're almost neighbors. I'm in western Ohio.
I listen to WFBQ/Q95 out of Indy all the time but that's likely too much old folk music for your taste.
Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Bfblair

« Reply #592 on: August 06, 2009, 09:57:24 AM »
Welcome Bryan
We're almost neighbors. I'm in western Ohio.
I listen to WFBQ/Q95 out of Indy all the time but that's likely too much old folk music for your taste.
Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.    Don't listen to the radio much but anymore but when I do it's often Q95.   I'm a big fan of Zappa and Hendrix and many more who might be considered before my time.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #593 on: August 07, 2009, 08:46:38 AM »
Cooter:  great suggestion on The Front Door as a central and visible place for people to introduce themselves.  Mods listen.

Now everyone who hasn't previously introduced tjemselves should definitely do so.  We're a fun bunch.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #594 on: August 07, 2009, 09:03:01 AM »
Hello everybody,
I don't think I've introduced myself, formerly anyway. If I have, ignore this post.

I'm Joe, yes a very uncommon name, and I hail from the North Shore of Long Island (sounds kind of exotic, don't it?)

Offline Northplow

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #595 on: August 07, 2009, 10:46:43 AM »
Hi. Northplow from Sweden. Have been listening to the show for quite some time. Interesting topics to be discussed.
I guess there are som fundamental differences between the US and Sweden, but the basic message would be the same.

Been reading a few different threads here on the forum and will try to participate on the discussions, but i feel that my vocabulare is a little limited. But, you never know......

Some personal info. 40 years old, married, two kids. Farmer on the side and aircraft technichian as a proffession. 30 years+ of wilderness experience and quite handy in general terms.
Been a prepper as long as i can remember, but havent had a real word to lead against to describe my "condition".

Well, thats me. Nice to meet you all.

Offline Korb

• Prepper
« Reply #596 on: August 07, 2009, 10:54:14 AM »
My name is Brock, I've been listening to the show for a little while and been on the boards but I never posted in the Intro thread.  I live in Arkansas and love it here.  Doing my best to save up to get some land outside of town to build a house on. 

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #597 on: August 07, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »
Welcome Northplow and Brock.

Northplow, don’t let concern over your vocabulary hold you back. This is a community full of wonderful people who are happy to help and besides your doing great so far.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #598 on: August 07, 2009, 01:33:29 PM »
Welcome Northplow and Brock.

Northplow, don’t let concern over your vocabulary hold you back. This is a community full of wonderful people who are happy to help and besides your doing great so far.

welcome everyone. i live in Louisiana and my vocabulary is terrible. I've found that Swedes and such have better and broader use of the English vocabulary

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #599 on: August 07, 2009, 02:17:11 PM »
Hi. Northplow from Sweden.

Welcome, Northplow!

One of my favorite possessions is one of your Mausers, vintage 1904  :D