Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1961846 times)

Offline volwest

• Senior Survivalist
    • Le survivaliste
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #720 on: August 22, 2009, 01:57:16 PM »
Hello...

A friend guided me to this place.

I am an urbanite...and i mostly wander in realms such as psychology, philosophy, ethnology, metaphysics or anything having to do with the discovery of the laws that govern our behaviors.

Having said that, i was also in the Marine Corps, and therefore developed a strong interest in relations to military tactics, weapons and logistics.

I have been reading the forum and listening to the podcast for some time now, and found myself liking the discussions and the general direction taking place here.

Thank you.
volwest

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #721 on: August 22, 2009, 02:44:35 PM »
Welcome vol  :)

Offline monger20

• Prepper
« Reply #722 on: August 22, 2009, 04:22:22 PM »
Nice to have you volwest. I'm sure you have plenty of subjects to observe  the natural laws that govern people in LA. What will that place b like if SHTF?

I'm curious, what's the l.a.m.b. acronym?

Offline wyomiles

• Survivor
« Reply #723 on: August 22, 2009, 04:57:48 PM »
Hello all, great stuff on this forum !

I spend most of my online time ( which is more and more limited) at the Free State Wyoming forum and The Mental Militia forum. I hope to spend some more time here as I have a lot to learn. 
I have been a gardener my whole life, grew things in some very harsh conditions in Wyoming.
Grew up hunting, fishing and camping so feel pretty comfortable in the great out doors.
Married with two kids, one in college one a senior in high school.
Living in a suburb of Denver and cannot wait to get out of here!

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #724 on: August 22, 2009, 09:33:56 PM »
I like your avatar wyomiles
A man, his dog, and his rifle.
That rocks.

Offline Texasbound

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #725 on: August 23, 2009, 08:04:12 AM »
I like your avatar wyomiles
A man, his dog, and his rifle.
That rocks.

Ummmm.... ever see Old Yeller   :-\

Offline volwest

• Senior Survivalist
    • Le survivaliste
« Reply #726 on: August 23, 2009, 09:56:27 AM »
Nice to have you volwest. I'm sure you have plenty of subjects to observe  the natural laws that govern people in LA. What will that place b like if SHTF?

I'm curious, what's the l.a.m.b. acronym?

Thank you for the welcome...

The laws that govern people in LA, are the same than those that govern people in Dublin, Madrid, Hong Kong or New Delhi...same inheritance. If the SHTF in LA, the re-action would be as predicted..."run for your life", or "fight for your life".

losangelesmilitiaband

Offline wyomiles

• Survivor
« Reply #727 on: August 23, 2009, 10:51:39 AM »
Thanks Hare, but I guess the picture is a little missleading. This was taken on a fishing trip so I am holding a fishing pole. I do carry a pistol however, ( to fight my way back to the mosin ) hope that still rocks!  ;)

I also forgot to mention that I have spent my life as an operator in many different industries. I have made everything from fertilizer to baking soda.
The last four years have been spent in biofuels turning coal and wood chips into fuels like ethanol and alcohol. So I have experience with gasification on a large scale.

bub

« Reply #728 on: August 24, 2009, 12:36:32 AM »
Hi, all. I got directed here by the podcast and my interest in prepping. Since listening to the podcast (I found the podcast a few months ago and have worked my way from Ep #1 up to the current episodes), I've changed my viewpoint somewhat and now see the wisdom of a sustainable approach to survivalism.

As for myself, I am a full-time Police Officer in the city I live in in NE Ohio and have been doing this since 1991. I'm married with 2 daughters, ages 5 and 9. My wife is slowly coming around but still throws around some comments like "You're paranoid" and the like. I know a lot about guns, ammo and some tactical stuff but, like a lot of others, only got into survivalism after realizing that you can't eat guns and bullets and that food would be a LOT more important in most situations than, say, an AK and 10,000 rds of ammo. I'm learning a lot and hope to be able to learn more as I go.

Jack, thanks for the podcast, the forum and all the rest. GREAT STUFF!

Bub

Offline Emma

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #729 on: August 24, 2009, 07:16:12 AM »
Hi all. I've been listening to the podcast now and then for about two weeks, just catching up on the topics I found most interesting and Jack's nagging about "international" listeners joining finally got to me.

I'm Emma. I live in Scania (Sweden), though I'm moving to Brittany (France) in the near future with Mr. Emma and the Canine.

I came to survivalism kind of by accident, really. I'm very big on self-sufficiency and I went out and got basic gun and butchering training as part of a hunting license because I figured that if I eat meat (although very rarely) I should be able to kill and prepare it. I did self-defence training in secondary school as part of physical education and I'd been half-heartedly talking about taking it back up for a while when my husband suddenly got very interested in the whole idea of personal safety. Then, as we've been watching personal integrity and privacy take a giant nose-dive lately, we've been talking about freedom on an international scale.. and well, you can see where this is going, I'm suddenly using the same vocabulary ("survivalism" :o) to describe my interests as the gun-nut tinfoil hat folks.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #730 on: August 24, 2009, 07:24:04 AM »
Welcome bub and Emma:

You (and all the other new people here) are exactly the "normal" people who have concerns about the current state of things that make up this forum.  I wouldn't be here if this was Weirdoville.  Niether would you.

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #731 on: August 24, 2009, 08:36:48 AM »
Watch out here on your interests you listed. A lot of people won't understand your insights and will feel threaten by it, at least that's the way I took it so far here.Go to Tin Foil Section if you post something  along these lines you listed,some here cannot understand Esoteric knowledge.It's like any other skill it takes time to master.When you walk in the Maze of life some find hidden treasures put there that only some can find.It's ashame but true. Welcome to the forum however and do your best and forget about the critics here.

kiteflyer

This belongs in PM, not in this thread.

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #732 on: August 24, 2009, 09:41:16 AM »
I concur with Firetoad. If you don't like how this board is run, or how people recieve your posts, then there's an easy solution.
Find a board that does.
You want to continue , you can do like Firetoad said and take it to PM, but you will not continue posting this in the middle of the intro thread.

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
« Reply #733 on: August 24, 2009, 09:59:30 AM »

What is PM? Post is deleted

kiteflyer

I concur with Firetoad. If you don't like how this board is run, or how people recieve your posts, then there's an easy solution.
Find a board that does.
You want to continue , you can do like Firetoad said and take it to PM, but you will not continue posting this in the middle of the intro thread.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #734 on: August 24, 2009, 10:02:05 AM »
"PM" is personal message.  It's the email-like feature on the forum for contacting a member personally instead of on a thread.

jakematic

« Reply #735 on: August 24, 2009, 12:34:22 PM »
Hi folks-

I'm new to the forum but have been listening to TSP for about 5 months now.

The timing of finding the podcast couldn't have been better. Over the last year I've been working on my preps which all got started with a TACDA article on 72 hour kits. Jack has great information and there is a ton more to find here.

North Carolina has been my home for the last 15 years but grew up farming, and in retrospect homesteading, in Central NY. In 2004 my jobs was eliminated and my first personal disaster happened. After 19 months out of work, losing everything and living off of savings I am happily back on my feet. After finding work I eliminated $40K in debt in just two years. It was lean times but sure was worth it. As of 1 September my last payment goes out and it's time to say goodbye to the debt prison.

My focus now is to continue to live below my means, and save like a madman to get out of this apartment and onto a small farm or decent sized property away from the city. TSP has been the catalyst for focusing my plan and moving the timeline up.

-Jake

p.s. - Had an epiphany during a TSP episode and thought "Holy crap! Jack is right. I am a Libertarian and just now realized it."

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #736 on: August 24, 2009, 01:52:57 PM »
Welcome jakematic. Good to have another NC'er here.

Offline johndayton

• Survivor
« Reply #737 on: August 25, 2009, 10:13:22 AM »
So I have been lurking for a long time now and i feel like i should start getting more involved.

I am 28 and work for a hearing aid company in dayton, oh

I have recently purchased a home and need alot of help with gardening.  I want to start growing something but my entire lot (1/3 and acre) is covered with very large trees which produce nothing. 

My goals that I have already begun trying to reach are pulling some of the small usless items out of my yard and hopfully i will be putting something in which does something for me starting next year. 

Offline Texasbound

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #738 on: August 25, 2009, 11:31:47 AM »

My goals that I have already begun trying to reach are pulling some of the small usless items out of my yard and hopfully i will be putting something in which does something for me starting next year. 

Sounds like a good start.  I would suggest starting with a small plot and growing somethings that you will definitely use.  Then expand as time goes on.  Keep it simple and it will make it easier and more fun.

Offline johndayton

• Survivor
« Reply #739 on: August 25, 2009, 11:38:18 AM »
I have a small area picked out even though it will need alot of work.  My problem is that even in this area it will only recieve about half a days worth of sun.  Any thoughts on what I should plant there?

Offline Texasbound

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #740 on: August 25, 2009, 05:27:03 PM »
I'd personally pick something that you will definitely use, and is easy to grow.  A few such would be beans, tomatoes, zuchinni, squash, cucumbers, onions, etc.  Make a list of what you will use or regularly purchase, then see what will grow in your climate considering sunshine, temperatures and water.  Pick something that should grow easily and well, then over time expand to items that will take a little more work and care.  Back when I started, I went with lots of tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and bell peppers.  Made a bunch of salsa and spaghetti sauce with those.  You might also consider some areas where you could plant berries or fruit trees in place of some of the other plants you have.

Offline pug-shadow

• Prepper
« Reply #741 on: August 25, 2009, 06:46:36 PM »
Hi All,

My name is Jon.

I have been listening to the podcast for a couple of weeks now.
I started at the oldest, and am catching up to current.  :)

I live in the DFW area over on the Fort Worth side.

I work in information technology, but I do like to garden.
I used to live in Iowa and so my Gardening style was pretty lazy, as stuff there just grows and you spend most of the time weeding.
My gardens here in TX have not done so well..  :(

Anyway, I thought I would say hello.

Offline steeltownknight

• Survivor
  • Still Surviving
« Reply #742 on: August 26, 2009, 09:37:51 AM »
Hello TSP !    Steeltownknight here-

Long time listener of the Survival podcast.  First day as a member on the Forums.

I Live In Hamilton Ontario Canada 40 single Male .  Not to far from the northern woods where I love to fish,hunt,hike. Sometimes I go just by myself  with minimal supplies.   

When  I am Not in the outdoors.    I am an Actor in Movies and Television.  Having some Firearms experience comes in handy when You're e always playing a bad guy !  :)

The site looks great.  Just learning to navigate it so bear with me.

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #743 on: August 26, 2009, 09:40:26 AM »
Hello TSP !    Steeltownknight here-

Long time listener of the Survival podcast.  First day as a member on the Forums.

I Live In Hamilton Ontario Canada 40 single Male .  Not to far from the northern woods where I love to fish,hunt,hike. Sometimes I go just by myself  with minimal supplies.   

When  I am Not in the outdoors.    I am an Actor in Movies and Television.  Having some Firearms experience comes in handy when You're e always playing a bad guy !  :)

The site looks great.  Just learning to navigate it so bear with me.
Welcome to the forum!
Have you been in anything that we might have seen?

Ray Peterson

« Reply #744 on: August 26, 2009, 09:54:51 AM »
Hey from the eastern Oklahoma / Fort Smith, AR area. I was just introduces to the podcast a few weeks ago & loved it. I've just gotten into prepping in the last year & had been really disappointed with "survivalist media." It's a great relief to listen to someone in the prepper/survivalist genre who isn't insane. I honestly believe that some of these guys are chomping at the bit for the day when they get to have a shootout with the government or some "hoard of bandits." This podcast & forum have been really educational for me. I really enjoy digging around the forum for nuggets of information on different topics.

I guess I just wanted to express how much I enjoy & appreciate the podcast & forum.

Offline steeltownknight

• Survivor
  • Still Surviving
« Reply #745 on: August 26, 2009, 10:43:15 AM »

I have been an Actor for about 12 years now.  You may notice me here and there in the first x-men movie. that was filmed in and around my city.  I was a stand in for Wolverine. I can be seen as an extra many times in it.   If you are in the Military/CIA/FBI ETC.  You may have seen me in those computer simulated  training programs. (Big screen -Light gun)   That's me with the hostage or that's me who looks like I am handing you my I.D but I really have a gun....
I am in the Latest George Romero Zombie flick (Island of the dead)  Where 2 rival Irish families battle each other and the undead.  I play James O' Flynn .  They may have cut out my speaking part but I do yell real loud when my brain gets eaten  !

I'm liking this TSP   so far !

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #746 on: August 26, 2009, 10:49:59 AM »
We'll have to go looking for you now.  ;D
Glad you like the podcast and the forum.
Hope you'll stick around for a long time.

Offline patrat

• Survivor
« Reply #747 on: August 26, 2009, 11:35:40 AM »
My name is Patrick. I found the podcast by a direct search. This sort of stuff has interested me since adolescence, and I picked up most of the tenets on my own, but this show helps bring topics together.

A few years back I realized I was playing lots of video games playing a "badass" multi skilled individual, and realized it would be more practical to instead turn that time into becoming the badass myself.

Since then, I have started martial arts, become a firearm enthusiast, started gardening, learned basic medical skills, and built a small level of supplies. I already had hands on contruction and maintenance, financial discipline, and instinctual food storage.

I live in Northern Colorado, and work as a mechanical engineer doing machine design.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #748 on: August 26, 2009, 11:42:32 AM »
Hey steeltownknight,

Big Romero fan, I am jealous.

I plan on seeing that as soon as it hits my area, assuming it does. They sometimes put his stuff out limited release but I am sure that
it will at least play in the city.
I'll look for ya.

Welcome.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #749 on: August 26, 2009, 02:48:22 PM »
Welcome to the boards new folks!