Author Topic: Christmas traditions and how we do it!  (Read 1366 times)

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
Christmas traditions and how we do it!
« on: September 17, 2009, 03:22:48 PM »
As I sat last night crocheting a dish cloth, it occured to me that my family has a really neat thing that we do for our Christmas gifts to each other. It works with adults and children and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. We have "Treasure Boxes" which are either a sturdy shoe/boot box (a nice big one) or a copy paper box with a lid. Each person gets to decorate their own box with wrapping paper or whatever they choose and it is used every year. Sometimes they overflow once we all have put stuff in, but it is loads of fun. The boxes are then filled up with useful items such as deodorant, toothpaste, toilet paper, gift cards, chap stick, ipod, shampoo, waffle iron, basically whatever you want to put in it. Sometimes, if I buy something larger, then it gets wrapped separately; however, we have discovered that all of us have enough stuff in our houses that we don't need more stuff. I buy itunes gift cards for my son in law and always a four pack of toilet paper (a joke), photo processing gift cards for daughter number two, gift cards from Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Hobby Lobby, pretty much any store that they frequent.

I started this when my daughters were little as a variant of a Christmas Stocking (I don't like stockings for some reason) and the treasure box was always the first thing opened and inspected. So we expanded on it and now it is how we do Christmas. As each grandchild gets to the point that they can decorate their own treasure box then their's gets added to the group and gets filled by whoever buys something. It's like Christmas in a box........oh wait, IT IS Christmas in a box.  :) Since everyone adds to the box, nobody has to feel akward about how much they can or can't spend. I can't tell you how happy I was knowing that my eight year old grandson perused the coffee selection at Star Bucks and "picked" the coffee beans he thought I would like. He then went to Walmart to the yarn section and because he knows I crochet he bought me a skein of green yarn (my favorite color). We all have way too much fun hunting for things to put in each others Treasure Boxes. We bring our gifts in the usual plastic bags to our gathering and put the stuff in the appropriate box. It is so much fun. Some items get wrapped, others don't, it makes it fun and really is like treasure hunting. Plus you have a nice box to haul your treasures home and then it is ready for next year.

Another tradition for us is Cookie Baking Day. We schedule it for the first Saturday in December. Both my daughters and two of my friends are the usual suspects. We scour our recipes and email/facebook so we know who wants what and figure out who will bring what ingredients and what cookie dough needs to be made ahead of time and at 8 a.m. sharp we meet at Daughter Number Two's house and the fun begins. There always has to be at least one new recipe that we haven't made before so we don't get into a rut. We bake and decorate hundreds and I means hundreds of cookies, make candy, make so much Chex Mix that it is ridiculous and of course eat. I make some sort of hearty soup or casserole for lunch and if we are still at it at supper time, my son in law orders pizza. Adult beverages have been known to be served as well! Such fun and when all is said and done, everyone gets to take home a nice variety of goodies and it was all done in a day. The only thing we discovered missing is we haven't taken enough pictures. We will all be armed with cameras this year.  :D

Everyone feel free to join in and tell us about your traditions?

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Christmas traditions and how we do it!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:09:32 PM »
I would share but I think you covered it ma!