Author Topic: Marathon  (Read 6503 times)

Debo

Marathon
« on: January 09, 2009, 07:50:07 AM »
Any marathoners?  I am running my first in early March in Raleigh, NC.  It is the Umstead trail marathon.  Roots, hills, and gravel but apparently is a fast course for a trail run.

D.

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Marathon
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:23:47 AM »
I ran the Disney Marathon 2x, but I have never done a trail marathon. It sounds like fun. Have you done any road marathons?

Debo

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 06:13:13 PM »
I haven't done any road marathons.  In fact, I am not a distance runner at all.  It is a weakness that I have chosen to work on.  I can ruck some people into the ground and am relatively fast in a sprint or middle distance.  I am hoping to hold 8:30's in my marathon.  If It goes well, long term goal might be pacing my buddy in some Ultras or running in a couple myself.  We shall see.  I love the trail runs in the woods and detest the road unless I have to get on it.  Did 15 miles today and followed it with an icebath...brrrrr.  No problems so far.

D.

Offline barnesglobal

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:34:49 AM »
I ran the the inaugeral Phoenix Rock N' Roll Marathon in 2004, and shortly after tore my ACL.  The tear was not running related, and have only recently resumed running.  Remember to take care of your body in the process.

Barnesglobal

Offline Jwatt

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 11:33:29 AM »
Good luck Debo!
My buddy is going to run to Catalina marathon in the Spring.  It is also a trail marathon with lots of steep elevation changes.  Looks intense!

I just finished my first 1/2 marathon in Los Angeles and loved it!  I am addicted but I don't think I will go for a full marathon - I don't want to risk permanent injury and I feel my knees more than I want to with the relatively shorter distances I am doing. 

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 09:22:12 AM »
I represented the Clydesdale group at the Disney Marathon in 2006, it was a life event for sure.

I would like to do another one when I can carve out enough time to seriously train.

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 12:37:44 PM »
Hey Stein...I ran the Disney Marathon in 2006 too. It was my first marathon so like an idiot I signed up to run the inaugural Goofy Challenge (1/2 marathon on Saturday and the Full Marathon the next day). Boy wasn't it freaking COLD that day!!!

cptcaver

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 09:33:09 AM »
I ran the Disney marathon in 2007 and the 1/2 marathon in 08.  07 was the first marathon I had run and man did it hurt.  If you don't know about it, get some Bio-Freeze to rub on your legs periodically during the run.  It really helps.

Debo

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 10:15:47 AM »
If you don't know about it, get some Bio-Freeze to rub on your legs periodically during the run.  It really helps.

Roger that.  We did one of our last 2 long runs this week.  18 miles in the hills.  Really knocked our d. in the dirt.  My training partner had to start walking so we ran of an on for the last two miles.  One more long day before I start tapering.

D.

KyFarmer

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 11:23:05 AM »
Any marathoners?  I am running my first in early March in Raleigh, NC.  It is the Umstead trail marathon.  Roots, hills, and gravel but apparently is a fast course for a trail run.

D.

Bluntly - Trail marathons are HELL.  They are - in my mind - a minimum of 2x harder than a road marathon.  The inconsistency of the footing really wears on you over time.  Don't mean to scare you off - but that's just the reality.

They are a BLAST though!

Debo

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 09:46:06 PM »
Bluntly - Trail marathons are HELL.  They are - in my mind - a minimum of 2x harder than a road marathon.  The inconsistency of the footing really wears on you over time.  Don't mean to scare you off - but that's just the reality.

Dude.  Truer words have never been spoken.  It was hell.  26.2 miles with very little flat at all.  We were either running uphill or running downhill the entire race.  Because of lack of training time I hadn't run in 5 weeks which made things a little worse.  At mile 18 I swore I would never run a marathon again, at mile 24 I was looking for a sword to fall on.  The next day I was scouting for another race to enter and starting to look ahead to plan my training.   :D

D.

Debo

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 09:17:33 PM »
Elevation profile of Umstead Trail Marathon 2009

Coyote

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 04:59:24 AM »
Hoping to run a half or full marathon in September.  Lots of training between now and then.  Trained for one two years ago but strained an Achilles the month before.  Man, those take a long time to heal.

adp113

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 07:34:51 PM »

They are a BLAST though!

I gotta go the other way on this one.  I recover far faster from a 50 mile ultra marathon than I do from a standard 26.2 mile road marathon.  The best part about trail runs is the varying terrain.  The step up hills are for fast walking.  The soft earth is far easier than the hard road.  I'm not to to this.  I have done Boston marathon twice and it takes a week to feel normal again.  On the trail side, I can do a 50 miler (8:19 clock time) on Saturday and be back running near 100% by Tuesday.

Best part is that is really does not matter.  As long as you get out and run, and have fun - that is the right course for you.

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 06:18:43 PM »
This is a great topic I have done some 5ks and currently run 5-6 days a week around 20-25 miles. I would love to get to the point that I could run a 8 min mile. I have been running for about 2 years and still can't get past that 9-10 min mark per mile. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate. I was running on dirt/trails and am now on a treadmill. I prefer the trails.

KyFarmer

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 06:36:27 AM »
This is a great topic I have done some 5ks and currently run 5-6 days a week around 20-25 miles. I would love to get to the point that I could run a 8 min mile. I have been running for about 2 years and still can't get past that 9-10 min mark per mile. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate. I was running on dirt/trails and am now on a treadmill. I prefer the trails.
I'm not trying to be a smart ass - but the coach I had for my Ironman last year told me the secret to running faster is to run faster.  Do some googling on stride work, and speed interval workouts.  When I built my speed up, I was trying to hold a faster pace for miles at a time - and my body revolted because it was used to a slower sustained pace.  The key is to add speed work at short intervals and then gradually increase the time in the speed interval while gradually decreasing the time in the recovery interval.  It's a pain (and it hurts) - but it works.

Offline Vision

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 06:49:06 AM »

KyFarmer is right, as a former triathlete, the key to running faster is to run faster... Do a search for fartlek. (yes I know) Speed drills work and they hurt like hell. You will hear voices in your head, telling you to quit, that's the time to push harder.... easier said than done!!
I have developed a nasty bunion on my right foot, I can't run any more... I envy people who can.

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 05:44:07 PM »
Thanks for the input I knew it wouldn't be easy, I am currently doing intervals on the treadmill and have made it to the 8min mile mark but for only about 1-2min at a time. I can push harder, and now that I know that is what needs to be done I will get to it.