Author Topic: How Many Hams Do We Have On The Board?  (Read 51999 times)

Offline soulcatcher

• Fledgling Prepper
Re: How Many Hams Do We Have On The Board?
« Reply #390 on: February 01, 2012, 11:57:24 AM »
I'm new to the forums, but my husband and I got our tech licenses a while back. My hubby has since picked up his General class and now that I am gainfully unemployed, I may start working towards mine.

I just looked up how long I've had my license. I thought it was maybe 2 years now, but it's been almost 3. My, how time does fly!

My boss is the one that gave us the kick in the pants to get started. He told me then that it could turn into an obsession very easily. He's absolutely right. I need to sell off more of the household non-necessities so I can buy more radios. *ahem* And other preps.   ;D

And now that I've looked up my call sign, I really want a vanity sign. One guess what I'll spend my day thinking about and checking on...  LOL

Jen

Offline Dogman

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #391 on: February 08, 2012, 07:20:01 AM »
Old school East Texas Extra class since 1989 or so. First license was in 1965.

73"s

Offline JarHeadTed

• Prepper
    • Ted's Place
« Reply #392 on: February 08, 2012, 08:13:49 AM »
I'm going to take the test for my general license on Saturday.  I'm planning on getting my Extra also, but I'm going to wait until the new question pool is released, so it'll be late summer at the earliest.

I finally got my mobile VHF installed in my car and made contact in my front yard with someone through the repeater that is about half way between my house and the BOL.  My dad's house is easily within simplex range so we've just about got the comm element covered.

The problem (for my wife at least) is that I'm now becoming more and more interested in HF communications....which means more radios and larger antennas.  I'm getting interested in building an HF transceiver that'll fit in an Altoids can and runs off a 9v battery.  The kit only costs $29 and is only good for morse code, but it sounds interesting.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Offline austinrob

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #393 on: February 08, 2012, 08:59:21 AM »
The problem (for my wife at least) is that I'm now becoming more and more interested in HF communications....which means more radios and larger antennas.  I'm getting interested in building an HF transceiver that'll fit in an Altoids can and runs off a 9v battery.  The kit only costs $29 and is only good for morse code, but it sounds interesting.

look into building your own antennas from speaker wire.  The general test has much of the info about building a half-wave dipole (468/wavelength to get you length in feet), but you can look online for plans others have made for building your own.   building antennas is a useful skill.  Look into an old used rig as a cheap HF starter.  I paid 325 for my almost 30 year old rig plus an antenna tuner.  Find a local ham club, look for a swap-net they might have. (http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club)

Offline JarHeadTed

• Prepper
    • Ted's Place
« Reply #394 on: February 08, 2012, 09:05:44 AM »
Yes, I agree.  I've found 2 different plans for building HF antennas. One is a dipole and the other is a vertical, both use speaker wire.  I hope to set up a dipole at the BOL and have one for the "Altoids" radio.  I'll probably have to use the vertical one at the house because of lack of space for the dipole.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Offline catybug

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #395 on: February 10, 2012, 10:08:04 AM »
Good luck on the test.  Hope you pass with flying colors.

Been an Extra Class since right after the change.  Was general before the changeover.  Had very good elmers who were patient and full of knowledge (two were "sparks" and had been hams for over 50 years). 

I prefer a quickly made G5RV for HF.  Have used that for Field Day and personal use.  Is simple, cheap and good.

Offline Alan Georges

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wishin' every month of the year could be June.
« Reply #396 on: November 03, 2012, 09:05:49 PM »
Passed Tech & General today.

Trying to decide on the next move.  Eyeing HF transceivers and low-profile backyard antennas.
Build it or buy it, start it up and try it, maybe even fry it.  Otherwise you'll never know if it works.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

zanedclark@att.net

« Reply #397 on: November 04, 2012, 10:15:26 AM »
Tech passed 8/31/2011.  Currently studying for General and plan to test before the end of the year.

z

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #398 on: November 06, 2012, 01:33:57 AM »
ne more from Greece..I am the equivalent of Amateur Extra Class but without Morse rights
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline prepperpam

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #399 on: November 07, 2012, 04:47:10 PM »
My son and both got our technician June 2011, at a Boy Scout radio event, and he won an Icom 2M Handitalk.  He is now studying for his General, as an independent study course ( home schooled) and is working local events with our County club. He is fascinated with Morse code- CW.  I have participated in some Rookie roundups to learn more about HF and RTTY. The local club is fantastic.  But my Yausu radio is smarter than me right now.  Local Ham convention in the summer was fun too. 

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #400 on: November 07, 2012, 06:39:05 PM »

Tech here.  I got my ticket about 6 years ago.  I got some hand me down 2 meter gear, got it up and running, taked to a few people, and put it all away.  99% of the traffic is talking about radio tech, road conditions, or weather.  I just had not time or intrest in talking to people about mundane stuff.  I would love to get back into it if I had a useful reason to communicate on the radio. 

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #401 on: November 07, 2012, 08:05:57 PM »
KF7SKS here.  Tech last fall; General in May; Extra in June.

Offline Kagetsu

• Prepper
« Reply #402 on: November 07, 2012, 09:51:13 PM »
I'm General class, but I'm not as active as I wanted to be.

Offline amtank

• Prepper
« Reply #403 on: November 09, 2012, 03:59:47 AM »
ME. Technician 

Offline bamarebl

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #404 on: November 09, 2012, 03:55:05 PM »
General class here. Been a ham since I was 9 years old. Got a Novice license and passed the 5 WPM code test in 1978.

Offline kani73

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #405 on: November 14, 2012, 11:25:45 AM »
Tech here. Got my ticket 2 months ago. Have a Yaesu FT-2900 and a small HT 2 meter/70cm. Also work echolink.
Serenity Farm on Zello

Offline buffcleb

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Buffcleb
« Reply #406 on: November 14, 2012, 01:35:25 PM »
general here... got my license about a year ago... have a ft-60 and 857-d running into a wire antenna I built

Offline Aspiring Homesteader

• Survivor
  • What?
« Reply #407 on: November 14, 2012, 03:46:45 PM »
General class here. Got my Tech in 2009 and my General in 2011. I mostly do PSK31 on 20/40m or portable ops on 10m.

Here's a pic of me running 10m from the local park. Yes, that is my vertical antenna mounted to the grill in the background :)

K3MCB/p/bbq

Made a couple of contacts that day 4000+ miles away. This was on my lunch break so I only had about 30 mins to operate but we did make a few QSOs.
Proverbs 14:34 - Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people.

“If you believe you can accomplish everything by "cramming" at the eleventh hour, by all means, don't lift a finger now. But you may think twice about beginning to build your ark once it has already started raining”
- Max Brooks, The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead

Offline Rivets

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #408 on: November 17, 2012, 09:22:36 PM »
Got my tech license early Oct of this year.  Studying for general now! 

Offline Zip

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #409 on: November 18, 2012, 11:25:50 AM »
Got my Tech and General a couple of months ago after listening to Jack's Ham Radio podcast with Tim Glance (Old Grouch).  Years ago I was heavy into CB radios and had wanted to get into the Amateur side, but didn't have the time or resources.  The timing was perfect so...here I am.  I mostly concentrate on HF. Next month I am moving to middle TN and plan to set up a pretty comprehensive system.  For the time being I'm using a G5RV antenna with my FT-897D

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #410 on: November 18, 2012, 11:38:43 AM »
I need to step up my ham activities.  Hmmm....

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline inspectorpacket

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #411 on: November 21, 2012, 02:04:46 PM »
Quick Introduction....

I have been an Extra Class amateur radio op for 10+ years and operating for almost 20.   My experience is extensive in that I have operated in most remote place in the world  www.bs7h.com and also served on local ARES Amateur Radio Emergency Service teams.

During Hurricane Katrina, I went down and helped with comms out of Hattiesburg, MS to help coordinate Red Cross truck deliveries.

73 - K4UJ

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #412 on: November 21, 2012, 08:10:07 PM »
raises hand

I've had my Tech license since 1993, but I'm currently without any equipment.  I'm working on it...

Offline BiggBake

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #413 on: November 21, 2012, 08:57:11 PM »
Studing right now for the tech license.  Will be a HAM soon! :)

Offline milkmood

• Prepper
  • Assault From The Deep
« Reply #414 on: November 27, 2012, 08:33:45 PM »
Tech since 2004, working on my General and dinking around with some CW on the side. I got my Tech license originally for rally racing communications.  I founded and organized  a rally event in Quartzsite/Ehrenberg AZ / Blythe CA area in 2004 called the Desert Storm Rally.  http://www.desertstormrally.com/ I'm no longer involved with the rally, but I am building back up my ham equipment and interest.

Equipment includes a Kenwood 2m mobile and a new Yaesu FT-60R. 

KE7AQB

Alpha Quebec Bravo

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #415 on: November 27, 2012, 08:55:42 PM »
Don't forget that you can (very easily - literally 10 seconds) get a full name and address using just a call sign.  I just thought I would remind people in case they missed the notice on another thread.

If you're fine with that, then it's all good.

Carry on!

Offline handsonham

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #416 on: November 30, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »
Extra Class...  and wife just tested up to a general!

Offline scoob

• Survivor
  • It's the LIBERTY, stupid!
    • Marksmanship and American Heritage
« Reply #417 on: November 30, 2012, 02:54:27 PM »
Passed my Tech last night, WOOT!  Hope to make General & Extra parts of my 13 in 13.

Offline afpatriot

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #418 on: December 01, 2012, 12:55:41 AM »
First licensed as a technician in June 2008. Studied and made General in December of 2008. Took a bit of time and gentle nudging but took my Extra exam in June of 2010.

Offline Captain Howdy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #419 on: December 02, 2012, 07:01:59 AM »
General class here.  Mostly work 2m repeaters, but have an HF rig and G5RV on mothballs.  It's a goal this winter to do some dx'ing, so maybe I should get on that..