Author Topic: My Canteen Cover First Aid Kit for About $60  (Read 16510 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
My Canteen Cover First Aid Kit for About $60
« on: September 19, 2009, 07:12:36 PM »
I have put together a first aid kit in a 2 quart military canteen cover. 

Here it is in a nutshell:

I'll show you what I have so you can do one or you can tell me some things to add or subtract.

Before I show you what's in my kit, I wanted to describe what the kit is for.  I have two: one in my car and one at my BOL.  They are for medium-sized first aid situations.  They're not a band aid and aspirin kit.  But they're not a full trauma battlefield kit either.  My theory is that this kit can handle a nasty cut or the common things I run into like dehydration.  Probably not a gun shot wound. 

This kit also matches my level of first aid training, which is what I call military basic: the stuff (I think) everyone learns in the military.  (I wasn't in the military but in search and rescue in high school so I think they're about the same.)

It's a bunch of stuff in a ziploc bag that goes into the canteen cover.

Here's the ziploc bag:

Here is what's in the ziploc bag overall (each component has a picture and is described in detail):

I have some big bandages.  I live near a huge Army base so I can get surplus bandages.  Cost: about $1 each. 

Oh yeah, the canteen cover with strap was about $9.

Gauge pads ($2) and tape ($5), of course, along with an EMT shear ($4). 

I use the EMT shears to cut things like the packages in my first aid kit and to cut clothes without using a knife that might cut me or the person I'm treating.

A blood clot bandage ($15) and a cold pack ($2?):

I have about 20 alcohol wipes ($1) and some razor blades ($1):

I would obviously treat a razor with the alcohol wipes before I used it.

I have some Advil, antihistamines, Tylenol, and the allergy pills (generic Claritin) I use:

At the excellent suggestion of scrubs (post below), I labelled my pills.  I also added a Sharpie ($1) and some duct tape, which scrubs suggested:

Since dehydration is something I run into a lot (even here in cool Washington state), I have some Gatorade packets with electrolytes ($2) and some electrolyte tablets called "S!Caps" ($2)  http://www.succeedscaps.com/main_scaps.html

I have assorted bandaids, liquid bandaid called "New Skin" (it's like glue for the skin to close up a wound) and burn/antibacterial/pain relief cream:

Bandaids ($1), liquid bandaid ($4) and cream ($6) (cream is here: http://www.walgreens.com/store/store/product/product_details.jsp?id=prod380419)

Something that I don't currently have in the kit, but will be getting, is a headlamp (thanks to the suggestion below of bartsdad).  Hey, boo boos happen at night.  Actually, most happen at night.  So, to give the reader of this post the full idea of what will be in my canteen cover first aid kit, here is something that I'll be getting:

All the stuff goes back into the ziploc and then into the canteen cover like this:

The kit weighs 2.4 pounds according to my bathroom scale. 

Total cost is about $60.  Note that many of the items I already had (like Gatorade packets) and I just used the cost of the things I put in the kit.  So the total cost would be more if I started with nothing and went out and bought everything.  But maybe like $70.  Not bad.

Like I said, my kit is not a battlefield trauma kit.  But to add some trauma capabilities to my kit, I plan on getting one of James Yeager's blow-out kits for each one of my first aid kits. 

Here's the web site for it:  http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_118&products_id=2417&osCsid=a634ea97e2f0b792178a42f5f73cdf4a

(James is a TSP sponsor and totally good guy.  Buy his stuff.  I plan to.)

They're $40.  But to be honest, I don't know how to use this kit (even though Yeager does an instructional video on the web) so I'll wait until I get some training before I start opening guys up and sticking things in their rib cages.  But it looks like a good blow out kit and the price is right.

So there you have it.  Let me know your thoughts.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:55:25 AM by Archer »

Goatdog62

Re: My Canteen Cover First Aid Kit for About $60
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 10:41:38 PM »
Great kit HeavyG

I would consider a ratcheting tourniquet, but only because I saw one save a life before. It can be self applied, which is what I saw.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 11:02:34 PM »
Yeah nice kit. Especially since it was put together from a preppers point of view. You ought to make a few and sell them here.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
Good job Heavy G. Nice post and pics.

TW

walker

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 12:22:06 AM »
Pretty nice kit for car or BOL.

I really need to post up some pics of my modular 3-day remote care first-aid kit, but I need a larger bag, and the 2qt cover is a great idea!

Take my simple initial suggestions as just that, suggestions.
I prefer duct tape over medical first-aid tape.
I like coban or vetwrap over an ace wrap.
I would throw in at least two cravats/triangular bandages, they do "ok" as a tourniquet in a pinch too.
Put those pills in a little bead storage case and label them, you never know who else may need to use your kit on/for you.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:20:46 AM by Archer »

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 08:12:36 AM »

Put those pills in a little bead storage case and label them, you never know who else may need to use your kit on/for you.

Very good point.  Will do.

Thanks, Goatdog, for the tourniquet idea.  I didn't see one at Walgreens.  Would I get one at a surplus store or medical supply store?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:54:59 AM by Archer »

Goatdog62

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 08:58:43 AM »
Here's a link

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/category/s-tourniquets?gclid=CLnX_Z65gJ0CFREhDQodwlDFbA

the SOF one works pretty good also and takes up less room in your kit. We used them in a class back in June.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 10:16:55 AM »
scrubs:

I took your suggestions on the duct tape and labelling the pills and adding a pen:

Thanks, man.  I love this forum.

I will add this photo the main posting above so people who see it will think to add them from the get-go.

I also added to the original post that I need a flashlight too.

Goatdog: I'll get that tourniquete.  Thanks. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:54:38 AM by Archer »

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 07:03:02 PM »
Bad ass HG Great kit!!! Which Post SAR were you in. Post 631 here...

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 07:21:55 PM »
Great kit HeavyG

I would consider a ratcheting tourniquet, but only because I saw one save a life before. It can be self applied, which is what I saw.

Goat, I always wear a belt, the kind that you can pull to any size.  I always figured it would double as a tourniquet if needed.  And I wouldn't have to carry one in my fist aid kit.  Is this a bad idea?

Goatdog62

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 08:26:04 PM »
Goat, I always wear a belt, the kind that you can pull to any size.  I always figured it would double as a tourniquet if needed.  And I wouldn't have to carry one in my fist aid kit.  Is this a bad idea?

Take your belt off and attempt to cinch it down on your upper thigh, way up high near the groin, enough to stop the femoral from bleeding out. You'll answer your own question.

We are taught to kneel on that portion of the leg with our body weight while getting the TQ ready and still it is tough to stop the flow.

You'd do far better with something field expedient like 550 cord and a pencil than your belt. Your belt is very useful for many other things though, so I applaud it being part of your EDC.

JMHO

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 08:27:14 PM »
Thanks Goat, that is not something that I would want to make a mistake on in practice!

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 08:27:51 PM »
I would add a SAM splint.
These are fantastic items once you learn to use them (and they can be used for so many things), and the website has a bunch of how-to videos.
Also, I have met the real Sam (and his wife) from SAM Medical.  These are quality people who make quality, tested products.

As for tourniquets, I would suggest the CAT.
The Combat Application Tourniquet (CAT) is an excellent item for your med bag.
These are the standard tourniquet being used on a daily basis (unfortunately) with the U.S. military in the Middle East.
They work.  They save lives.  Learn how to use it.
Here is one CAT training video.  I am sure there are others you can find.
Also, practice using these things.  There is a HUGE difference between placing one on your own leg to "try it out".  It is completely different when it is a 200lb man with blood all over the place,  half a leg barely still attached, and he is screaming and rolling around.  At a minimum, get a friend to lay there without helping, and try to place it.
Belts are a pretty lousy alternative. They just do not work well. LOTS of studies to show it.
I may do a post on tourniquet use later if anyone is interested.

Just note: these tourniquets are for ONE time use (which is fine, since if needed they will likely be covered in blood).  They should not be used multiple times for training and then expected to work as effectively when really needed.  Get one for training (and mark it as such), and pack another for use.

The last thing I would add is a decompression needle.
These are used for treating a tension pneumothorax (commonly called a "collapse lung").
These can kill in a mater of minutes and are so treatable if you know how.
Here is a link to some info on a tension pneumothorax and a video on treating a tension pneumothorax (dowload the link for needle decompression).
Yes, it is a big deal to stick a needle in someone's chest.  Learn why and how to do it right, or don't consider doing it.  But seriously consider learning!
Also, the needle takes up almost no room in a med kit.

By the way, I carry these products in my own med kit in my car.  I carry these in my BOB.
I have no financial interest in these products. But, I wish I invented them! :)

Hope this helps!
Doc K

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:30:12 PM by Doc K »

Goatdog62

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »
There ya go, straight from the doctors keyboard. Who can argue with that?

I also carry nasal pharyngeal airways with all my kits.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 07:14:42 AM »
The knowledge on this forum is unbelievable.  Thanks all.  Keep the suggestions coming.

Offline gpd240

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 07:45:55 AM »
   I recently took a how to survive a gunshot class put on for our LEO's. The ER doc who came down to give it is the SWAT doc for a major city that is near us. He also stated that the CAT tourniquet system is probably the best option and the one that he suggested.

He stated that there are soldiers in the middle east that are having them put on, and they are leaving them on until they arrive in Germany at the hospitals with no slippage. He stated that these tourniquets are definitely proving themselves on the battlefield. We were given the opportunity to try to put them on ourselves and I was surprised by how uncomplicated it was.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 10:42:19 AM »
I would go with a small inexpensive head lamp instead of a handheld flashlight. Home Depot has a 2 pack for $10. Throw in some Lithium batteries for long term storage . Trying to do tasks one handed in an emergency can be very frustrating.

Nice kit.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 12:49:38 PM »
Nice kit!  I keep something similar in my car.  I keep a lot more bandaids and gauze in mine.  I just made a kit for my soon to be wife's car.  The day after I put it in her car we needed it.  We were helping some friends butcher a road kill deer and my friend slipped and sliced her thumb.  Out came the FAK from the car.  Problem solved.  I think she is blood sisters with the deer!!

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 03:44:18 PM »

I would go with a small inexpensive head lamp instead of a handheld flashlight.  ...

Trying to do tasks one handed in an emergency can be very frustrating.

Excellent idea.  I'll do that.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 03:57:46 PM »
great thread Heavy G +1

SgtBooker44

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 04:32:56 PM »
Awesome kit Heavy G.  Looks lite weight and I wold only add gloves and a mask.

The key is, build it to your skill set.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 03:40:33 AM »
I don't know if you can fit much more in there but I put the glucose tabs for diabetics. For children I put syrup of epicac and a small bottle of charcoal for poisonings.

Goatdog62

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 04:54:09 AM »
I don't know if you can fit much more in there but I put the glucose tabs for diabetics. For children I put syrup of epicac and a small bottle of charcoal for poisonings.

I'm no doctor but I was taught recently that the syrup isn't to be given anymore. I can't remember why.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 12:34:25 PM »
   I would only use it if directed by poison control.

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 01:25:38 PM »
I'm no doctor but I was taught recently that the syrup isn't to be given anymore. I can't remember why.

Studies found that poisoning victims that had been given syrup of ipecac showed little to no improvements over those that had not been given the syrup.  Also, any type of swallowed chemical that is caustic could cause additional injury on the way up and out if given syrup.  There could also be complications with medications, other medical issues or with other post poisoning treatments.

BTW, to my knowledge, poison control will NOT advise you to administer syrup of ipecac anymore. 

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 02:14:47 PM »
Firetoad,
You're right on.  No more ipecac.  Not proven to be helpful.  In some instances it can make things a lot worse.

Here's the info from the National Capitol Poison Center.

Hope this helps!
Doc K

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 02:28:16 PM »
Perfect link Doc K!

Several years ago, I was going through my little BLS kit that I keep at home and found that the syrup of ipecac that had been in there for years was expired.  Needless to say, I couldn't find the stuff anywhere.  When I jumped online, I found out that it was no longer advised and that's where I learned the above.  Aye yie yie!  The poison control thing I have first hand knowledge with having kids.  They really don't tell you hardly anything anymore, won't help identify plants or their effects (they advised, on a Sunday night, that I find a local nursery to help me! ::) ) and take your full pedigree, even SS #, for those instances when DFS should become involved.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:03:59 PM by firetoad »

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 02:00:50 AM »
    That's good info to know..

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2009, 09:40:43 AM »
I put the final touches on my kit.

I got the headlamp suggested ($15).  I tried it out.  Wow.  What a differnece the headlamp makes as opposed to holding a flashlight. 

I also took a red permanent marker and put a first aid red cross on the canteen cover.  Other people will need to know that it's a first aid kit.

So the total cost, now with the headlamp, is about $75. 

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2009, 11:38:20 AM »
Great kit/thread. Thanks
Pat