Author Topic: My Canteen Cover First Aid Kit for About $60  (Read 16026 times)

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
Re: My Canteen Cover First Aid Kit for About $60
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2009, 09:30:07 AM »
We all should be using these batteries for items (flashlights, radios and such) stored in our BOBs, cars and first aid kits. They have a LONG shelf life, don't leak and handle extreme temperatures well. They are more expensive, but having power when needed is priceless.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2009, 12:24:40 PM »
Awesome thread Heavy! For those trauma kits I would like to learn how to use them before I bought them. QuickClot seems to be pretty expensive. I have looked around but all of them seem to be the same price. I want to add some to my FAK. I do carry a kit of medical supplies in my GHB in an orange water resistant bag. You can get a three pack of various sizes for 10 bucks at Wal-Mart. That is a creative idea using the canteen pack!

I am glad to see you have some of those gatorades for dehydration. Water is good, but your body needs electrolytes as well. I remember when I was in Basic hearing that a woman had died during training because she had drank too much water and did not replenish her system with electrolytes. Those things are vital.

Its also good to have several sets of latex free gloves. If you have iodine in your kit you might want to carry something like betadine. The reason is that some people are allergic to these items, and if you are working on someone else, you don't want to exacerbate the situation with an allergic reaction.

You might also want to invest in a mouth cover piece for giving CPR. I carry one in my GHB also. You might want to help someone, but not necessarily get any disease or illness they may have.

I would also recommend hemostats. They can close off major bleeding from a vein or getting debris out of a wound.

I would also suggest aspirin. I can't remember if you mentioned that or not, but those are good for people who are on the onset of having a heart attack.

Also wouldn't hurt to have some triple antibiotic for wounds.

If I have repeated anything I am sorry.

roof_top_eagle

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2009, 12:23:41 PM »
I'd recommend that you replace the EMT Shears with a good set of sewing shears.  In most cases you're going to be cutting clothing off with the shears and all the EMT Shears that I've come across fail miserably when applied. 

I worked as a Security Guard/EMT at an automotive factory.  What happened about a year ago changed my view on EMT Shears.  We were responding to a dude who fell about 20 feet off a crane, (he was climbing down the ladder to the cab) he had a broken leg (Compound fracture) and we had to cut his jeans and coveralls off.  It was winter so most of the guys were double layered, jeans under coveralls.  The head EMT on scene went to cut the clothing off the guys leg and his EMT shears bent and folded.  The cheap stamped metal (whatever metal it was they were made of, never checked) just buckled under the stress of jeans and heavy coveralls.  I handed him my shears, same thing, we were getting nowhere.  4 pairs of shears later I used my knife to cut his pants off. 

When the EMS arrived we were talking to the guys from the second ambulance who were a little ticked off because they got called off their lunch only to miss the call  (somehow two ambulances were dispatched) and they told us they use fiskars that you can buy at any sewing store or home depot.  They are made to cut material like that so they do very well.  The one paramedic took his out and we doubled up the jeans and his shears cut like butter compared to our EMT shears.  We distroyed 3 more pairs of EMT Shears just messing around.

Needless to say the entire EMT/Emergency department bought our own shears from then on...odd how million dollar companies wont spend 10 extra dollars on better equipment even when what is supplied fails miserably...

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 08:12:34 AM »

Also wouldn't hurt to have some triple antibiotic for wounds.

Thanks to all who have made suggestions.  I'm taking it all in and plan on upgrading my kit when I can.

Coldhaven, what are triple antibiotic for wounds?

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2009, 10:35:22 AM »
There ya go, straight from the doctors keyboard. Who can argue with that?

I also carry nasal pharyngeal airways with all my kits.

I spoke to a doctor today, and he advised me not to use one of these, unless the patient was going to die anyway.  It is very easy for the tube to find it's way into the esophagus, and unless you are trained to listen to the lungs, you can easily mistake the visual signs of the chest raising and lowering.  Once the tube is down the esophagus, the air will push on the diaphragm and it apprears that the lungs are filling with air.  He also said it is difficult to hear the lungs, if you don't know what you are listening for.  I many still pick one up, if someone is going to die either way, it's worth a shot.

He also suggested having an epipen or adrenaline.  He prescribed me some and I am picking it up today.  He said with an epipen, you only use it if you can confirm that the victim is having an allergic reaction and that the airway is restricted due to an allergy.  They are by prescription only - CONSULT A DOCTOR.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2009, 01:37:04 PM »
I spoke to a doctor today, and he advised me not to use one of these, unless the patient was going to die anyway.  It is very easy for the tube to find it's way into the esophagus, and unless you are trained to listen to the lungs, you can easily mistake the visual signs of the chest raising and lowering.  Once the tube is down the esophagus, the air will push on the diaphragm and it apprears that the lungs are filling with air.  He also said it is difficult to hear the lungs, if you don't know what you are listening for.  I many still pick one up, if someone is going to die either way, it's worth a shot.

He also suggested having an epipen or adrenaline.  He prescribed me some and I am picking it up today.  He said with an epipen, you only use it if you can confirm that the victim is having an allergic reaction and that the airway is restricted due to an allergy.  They are by prescription only - CONSULT A DOCTOR.

How much are those epipens? and what is the shelf life? My wife has pretty bad allergies and I have been thinking about picking one or two up for a while, but she told me that she thought they were expensive and had a short shelf life.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2009, 07:34:30 PM »
I don't know yet, but I will update you.  It all depends on your insurance for the cost, since it is a prescription.  But when I get it filled I will let you know the expiration.

Goatdog62

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2009, 07:47:46 PM »

The Nasal Pharyngeals we carry couldn't possibly reach the esophagus. They aren't as long as the ones in emergency rooms. They reach just past the sinuses. We carried and used them in all our 18D kits and they are carried today. Training as recent as two months ago had uis apply them to each other. they suck BTW. Very uncomfortable.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Thanks to all who have made suggestions.  I'm taking it all in and plan on upgrading my kit when I can.

Coldhaven, what are triple antibiotic for wounds?

Sorry, I am used to calling it that at the hospital. Neosporin is what the brand name is. I would suggest using the generic. It is just as good and half as expensive.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 06:24:36 AM »
OK, I'm not making this a "Best Of" thread just because I started it.  I'm doing it because of all the posts made by others that are really good.  So ...

(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0.)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 08:21:34 AM by Heavy G »

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2009, 09:16:59 PM »
Sorry I'm late to the show HG, but great job on the kit.  I saw somewhere that vetwrap was mentioned.  I LOVE VETWRAP.  Great stuff for quick work.  Also, I'd look at  isolating the scissors and tweezers somehow (sheaths?).  Since it's a soft side holder, it may let the sharps move around more than you may like.  I like your idea and plan on doing the same for my wheeler and snowmachine.  Thanks. 

BP

Offline flashcard

• Prepper
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2009, 10:12:31 AM »
When I did some wilderness first aid training, our first aid kits also contained papers/forms for assessment, medical history, tracking changing vitals, etc.  I guess it was partly meant for filling out incident reports, but my instructor also said that it's a really handy thing to be able to pass off to a medical professional when you pass over the care of the individual. 

Maybe someone with more experience can let me know if this is a useful thing at all?

Also, if you don't regularly wear a watch (as I am guilty of), it's probably not a bad thing to keep in there.  Useful at the very least for noting the time when you come across a situation, but also for monitoring heart rate if needed.

roof_top_eagle

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2009, 10:19:14 AM »
When I did some wilderness first aid training, our first aid kits also contained papers/forms for assessment, medical history, tracking changing vitals, etc.  I guess it was partly meant for filling out incident reports, but my instructor also said that it's a really handy thing to be able to pass off to a medical professional when you pass over the care of the individual. 

Maybe someone with more experience can let me know if this is a useful thing at all?

Also, if you don't regularly wear a watch (as I am guilty of), it's probably not a bad thing to keep in there.  Useful at the very least for noting the time when you come across a situation, but also for monitoring heart rate if needed.

Agreed as an EMT-B at work before getting laid off from that position I had to do intensive reports on everything, from the security aspect of my job and for the first aid work, First aid was a lot bigger and more intensive forms and logs!

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2009, 11:29:09 AM »
Good call Frazer and Flashcard on report writing.  For the purposes of this kit, I think I'd just keep some 3x5 cars to keep notes on (BP, resp, HR, BCAPBTLS, etc.) and a pencil (pens dry out when you really need them). 

roof_top_eagle

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 11:33:01 AM »
Good call Frazer and Flashcard on report writing.  For the purposes of this kit, I think I'd just keep some 3x5 cars to keep notes on (BP, resp, HR, BCAPBTLS, etc.) and a pencil (pens dry out when you really need them). 

If you can get a set of rite in the rain index cards or a RITR Notepad that would be best IMO, I like how they don't get ruined by water, blood etc.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2009, 05:27:13 PM »
How much are those epipens? and what is the shelf life? My wife has pretty bad allergies and I have been thinking about picking one or two up for a while, but she told me that she thought they were expensive and had a short shelf life.

My work buys epipens in bulk.  I work at a year round outdoor education center.  I am not sure of the cost though.  We replace the epipens every year since ours are marked with an expiration date a year after we buy them.  I have never had to use one in real life thank God.  For our off site tripping program we went with the Twinject epi pens.  They give you 2 doses in one pen.  This helps if the person has a relapse and needs a second dose of epi before you can get them to a hospital.

When I did some wilderness first aid training, our first aid kits also contained papers/forms for assessment, medical history, tracking changing vitals, etc.  my instructor also said that it's a really handy thing to be able to pass off to a medical professional when you pass over the care of the individual. 

I currently hold a Wilderness First Responder Certification.  Yes, these are very handy forms to help you keep track of vitals, treatment plans, and your evac. plan when a hospital is hours or days away.  They are called a SOAP note.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOAP_note  Just do a web search for SOAP note and there are multiple formats available.  For the average person, these forms provide an organized format that is easy to fill out especially under stress.  However, a note pad is just as good just follow the SOAP format and you have the same thing.  Once, I actually used one of these forms.  I keep some in all of my kits.  I tried to pass it on to the paramedics.  They took one look at it and they told me to keep it. 

Offline SaltyHobbit

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2009, 07:45:54 PM »
You have a good layout. If you could try and scrap the little tape and get a roll of either 2" or 3" medical tape trust me it tapes things down a hell of a lot better.

See if you can find a window punch since you'll have that with you and you don't know if you'll need to get to someone in a car and maybe a seat belt cutter. They work wonderfully for cutting those but work great cutting clothes. Also with these you never have to worry about adrenaline kicking in to much and cutting to much with the scissors (no jewels). Being in a sterile environment i.e.: hospital, clinic, things being sterile are great and understandable. However, being in a SHTF scenario speed is of the essence if you can prefab. your setup by prepping the easy stuff like pulling out a little of the Kerlex having ome pulled out.

You can also take some of the 2 or 3" tape and make pull tabs on each side of the openings to a package. By doing this you can and will minimize the prob. of having sweaty/bloody hands fumbling with the packages. Rip off two 4" strips of tape and with the ends on the openings and press together. Trust me this works great.

I agree with Goatdog about the ratchett. I do disagree with the CAT though. They work well until they have heated up and cooled off over again. The plastic on them lose their rigidity and can warp or break. The SOF tac tourniquets are the shit in my mind though.
http://www.redflarekits.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4911   I would shop around for much cheaper prices on them however.

See if you can also get your hands on one of those emergency space blanket deals. They do a great job keeping in heat you can find them OD green or shiny.

Let me know if you want some help and I'm sure I can get a lot of these things for you. I have been "AQUIRING" med supplies since I've been in. Just drop me a line and I'll see what I have and can hook you up with to save you a couple $.

Oh and throw in some superglue, benzoine, or dermabond and lose the bandaids. You can grab a block of 2x2's or 4x4's and use some of that tape to facilitate the same thing unless you have kids and keep them for that.
Just my 2 cents

Offline SaltyHobbit

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2009, 08:30:36 PM »
Oh one more thing that tape comes in handy with writing anything down on using a sharpie as well. Slap some on your leg or arm (somewhere your not going to leave) and there you have it.

I'm was also thinking I wasn't being to clear with the tape, but I am also not trying to question anyone's intelligence either. Each piece of tape attaches to one side of the package with the two ends of the pieces being taped together to form a 2" pull tab. This also works good if you have just one ziploc bag that is being used as a blood pack tape each side of the top of this bag as well.

Online fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2012, 12:28:46 PM »
Just bumping a great thread.

I'm in the process of improving on my current FAK.  Right now I have a store bought kit with some additional stuff added in.  I need to rework the kit.  I will use a lot of what I already have, but need to add some items.

I flashlights all over the place, but no headlamp in the kit.  I also don't have a good set of scissors, just the crappy ones that come with a kit.  I do have plenty of knives around, but sometimes you just need scissors. 

I'll also add some blood clot stuff, but not sure which type.  Anyone make use of Celox and Quikclot?  What's the shelf life of it?

Anyone have a price on Epipens?  I have several people that I travel with that have severe allergies.  I'd rather have one on hand just in case.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2012, 06:36:39 PM »
I would suggest keeping pills in separate bottles, rather than trying to I.D. them by color in one bottle. I know it could take up a little more room, but it would completely eliminate the confusion factor. With separate bottles you would have label space for dosage info. Think "someone else will have to use the contents". There are many sizes of small nalgene bottles available at most camping outfitters and they are completely watertight. You can customize the bottle size to the amount of each pill you carry. I rolled a canoe in the Boundary Waters once and trashed most of the first aid dressings even though everything was ziploc'ed. Now I always assume all of my survival gear will get submerged (or at least heavily rained on). I wouldn't trust those multicompartment pill cases. Once you have your kit squared away, dunk it! Better to find out something leaked when you can easily replace it, than when you can't. I use a vacuum sealer (like for food) to package almost everything in those "boil bags".
They are almost indestructable and if puncture is a risk, I wrap the sealed pouch with clear 2" packaging (postal) tape. I also like to include a small re-bottle of Betadine. It is a great antiseptic to sterilize a wound area, especially before putting in stitches. If you make a slurry of Betadine and regular table sugar you can use it on burns to prevent infection and promote healing (Sugardine).

Offline Doomtrooper

• Prepper
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2012, 07:32:50 PM »
Heavy so going to try and make one of my own on your design! Also may want to upgrade the  combat bandages with Israeli bandages they have a bigger gauze area and have a pressure applicator that helps stop blood flow.

Online fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2012, 08:01:57 PM »
I use a vacuum sealer (like for food) to package almost everything in those "boil bags".
They are almost indestructable and if puncture is a risk, I wrap the sealed pouch with clear 2" packaging (postal) tape.
I've thought about sealing it all in vacuum bags.   Now vacuum sealing things like battle dressings and Quikclot is one thing.  But I don't think that vacuum sealing band aids and Tylenol is a good idea.  By doing that, it makes it less likely that the kit will be used for minor issues that require some first aid.

I'll likely vacuum seal some items, but the things that are likely to be needed in day to day minor injuries will be in Ziploc bags.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2012, 09:27:01 PM »
It's extra work, but I seal commonly used items in multiple pouches, in small quantities. For example: 25 gauze pads would be sealed in five packages, five pads in each. That way you can rip one open for use and still have the rest safe from moisture or dirt. I do the same with bandaids, butterfly closures, almost everything that's in a paper wrapper. All your eggs aren't in one basket. I've come to believe that Ziplocs are good for sorting and organizing, but I don't trust their complete waterproofness especially in a survival situation. Even my large, in-home medical kit is similarly set up. By the way, I've "seal-a-mealed" (not vacuumed for obvious reasons) freshly filled Zippo lighters and they are still "juicy" after a year's storage. 

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2012, 09:00:47 PM »
^^^ good advice