Author Topic: Ramen Noodles  (Read 17729 times)

Offline bsmith_shoot

• Survivor
  • My boys!
Re: Ramen Noodles
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 05:39:52 PM »
I was thinking, also, that if you have a dehydrator then you can dehydrate your own veggies to go into the meal. Heck, you could even dehydrate meat. This way you can make your own packet of mix in case you wanted to save the packets that come along with it as some kind of beef broth for later.
This works insanely good. I always kill a beef every year, and usually make about 35 pounds of jerky. Just throw the noodles into re-hydrated and cooked meats and veggies, and theyre awesome.

Offline Surfcruiser

• Prepper
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 08:53:03 AM »
I work outside in the winter, few hours outside, a couple inside at the day goes on. Ramen will rehydrate in 3 minutes really well with the water from the hot side of a water cooler. I allways have a stock at work and in my car (60 mile commute if I get stranded I have a reliable food). Regardless its is super easy to try out these ramen recipes and if anyone asks it a good segway to preparedness. Plus it warms the bones fast when you come in from the cold.

Offline MD3C

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 03:15:06 PM »
I just spotted a case buried at the bottom of my pantry. I'll have to dig them out, and give a few a try.
Also wondering if the rodent got to them. They do love Ramen.
Thanks for the informative posts.
M

Offline inthego

• Survivalist Mentor
  • No man is free who is not master of himself..
    • My Biz web site
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2009, 10:36:51 PM »
When my kids were 5 and 6 they spilled some Ramen juice on the carpet we cleaned it up as well as we could but it stained the carpet. A few months latter we hired Chem-dry to clean the carpets in the house (great offer at the time) well the prier owners of the house had parked a bike inside the house and it leaked oil on the carpet - got it out the guy worked on the Ramen stain for 20 min.. finally asked what was this stain?!
Well I do still eat it and use it in our preps but man what the heck is in that stuff?   ;D

Offline minimalist

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »
On the topic of eating old ramen... Some of you may not know it but the ramen noodles are actually fried. I believe most of the grams of fat in ramen comes from the noodles. I saw someone mentioned eating ramen that was past its use by date; I wonder if there is any problem with the fats in the noodles going rancid after a while.  I'm not saying if SHTF I wouldn't eat old ramen noodles, but you might not want to make a practice of it.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2009, 12:18:33 AM »
When my kids were 5 and 6 they spilled some Ramen juice on the carpet we cleaned it up as well as we could but it stained the carpet. A few months latter we hired Chem-dry to clean the carpets in the house (great offer at the time) well the prier owners of the house had parked a bike inside the house and it leaked oil on the carpet - got it out the guy worked on the Ramen stain for 20 min.. finally asked what was this stain?!
Well I do still eat it and use it in our preps but man what the heck is in that stuff?   ;D

I had a big coffee stain created by our toddler that the local carpet cleaner and pretty much all the available spot cleaners couldn't remove, did a little homework and found that baby wipes took the stain out right away.Go figure. Does kinda make me wonder exactly we were using on his bum.hmmmmm?

Offline MD3C

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2009, 12:32:37 AM »
Got to mine today. I bought them in 2005, and they're still in the case, and I'm not sure of the expiration date?
No rodent damage. I don't plan on tossing them. :-[
M

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 09:42:54 PM »
Raman has another advantage that not a lot of people seem to know about.

Aside from being an infinitely variable foodstuff, ramen noodles can be cooked cold, without using a stove of any kind.

Seriously. 

Raman noodles cook in hot water in about three minutes.

In warm water, they take about twenty minutes, MOL.

In colder water, they rehydrate in anywhere from an hour to several, depending on the temperature.

If you're bugging out and can't risk a fire, or can't stop to cook, throw your ramen into a gallon ziplock with some water and strap it on top of your pack.

Just like making sun tea--when you're ready to bed down, supper will be ready.

Or, if you're already holed up somewhere, just toss them into some water and let them sit til they're soft. Add the flavor pack, and dinner is pre-payured...!

Ramen, BTW, is the original and only essential ingredient for Stone Soup.

Offline inthego

• Survivalist Mentor
  • No man is free who is not master of himself..
    • My Biz web site
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2010, 09:52:35 PM »

Ramen, BTW, is the original and only essential ingredient for Stone Soup.

Stone Soup?  The story or a real soup?

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2010, 09:55:36 PM »
You can also just chew them up and swallow em dry.  Drink lots of water with them and the warmth of your belly will do the rest.  Not the best way to do it, but it can be done.  (i have only eaten dry ramen once, I would do it if there was no other way but it does work)  

If you put them in a zip lock bag inside your shirt or coat next to your skin (or inside your sleeping bag with you), they will soften to warm in about the same time as luke warm water (20 to 30 minutes)  One way to get a little midnight snack on :)  

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2010, 10:35:55 PM »
Stone Soup?  The story or a real soup?

Well, both, kinda-sorta. But only semi-seriously.

The Stone Soup from the story would have come out much better if they had started with Ramen and just used the stones (hot) to boil the water.

In real life, Raman is the ultimate base for a "Stone Soup" to die for--and no recipe is required. You just keep adding whatever you have until the pot is as full as it can get.

It doesn't seem to matter what you put in, it always turns out yummy...

(Dang! Now you got me hungry again!)

Offline Comsec

• Prepper
    • Survival Bus
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 01:34:13 PM »
I use to stock up on Ramon, but found it took up to much space, I moved over to buying spaghetti in bulk and breaking it in half and storing half of it in 2 serving vac bags, I store and carry bullion cubes and condiment packets or my BOB, NOTE: I also have ALOT of spaghetti Sauce, my wife loves the stuff LOL

Offline Morgan96

• Survivalist Mentor
  • We Are The Knights Who Say.... Nnnutella!
    • Blog:  101 Centavos
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2010, 05:50:41 PM »
Ramen and cut-up summer sausage, warmed up in an old coffe can on a hobo stove. It works.

Offline Comsec

• Prepper
    • Survival Bus
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2010, 11:04:37 PM »
I had a Brownie pan and no meat at one time, but it works

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2019, 10:33:30 PM »