Author Topic: Fruit and Nut Trees - need some advice  (Read 2700 times)

KyFarmer

Fruit and Nut Trees - need some advice
« on: September 22, 2009, 12:04:19 PM »
Going to put in some fruit, berry, nuts, and grapes.

Just need some guidance on ground prep.  I can grow about anything - but I've never planted fruit trees intentionally.  The one's I've had growing up were just there already.

Anything special I need to do with the dirt?  PH, etc, etc

Offline sclindah

• Prepper
  • Garden Harvest
    • Harper Happenings
Re: Fruit and Nut Trees - need some advice
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 07:20:49 PM »
I need advice on how to keep them healthy through the season until the fruit bears. I guess I don't want to use  the awful chemicals but I don't know what to use. We have about 15 dwarf trees that are just starting to produce fruit but we're having problems.  We actually had bees eating our apples and peaches!  We had some burned looking places on the leaves and a couple of the tree trunks look burned???

I would love to know of a good book to tell and show problems about trees.  Thanks.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 08:31:15 PM »
I've never had to prep the ground for blackberries, grape vines or fruit trees.  No fertilizer, no chemicals, no nothing.

I've planted about 50 grape vines in my life, countless blackberries and several fruit trees.  I planted a pear tree on property my brother now owns and that thing is going wild.

The only thing you really need to do is mulch the hell out of it after you plant it and during dry weather.

I think you are a little out of season right now for planting though.

J

KyFarmer

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 05:40:29 AM »
As I said - I've never intentionally planted fruit trees - but I thought you planted all this stuff in the fall.  I'll so a little more research....

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 07:46:37 AM »
As I said - I've never intentionally planted fruit trees - but I thought you planted all this stuff in the fall.  I'll so a little more research....

I'm assuming you are where I am so....  A pretty good guide is when the greenhouses get the trees in.  That's usually a good guide on when to plant.  I have a grapevine vendor that would not ship until the best time to plant for my area.  But you don't want to plant during times of distress.  Winter is a distressful time when the plants are trying to reserve energy just to survive.  Summer is rough because it is usually dry so the roots try to conserve water.  Fall is distressful because the plants are storing up for winter.  Early spring is the apex.  This is the time when the plant gets the opportunity to begin growing, soaking up rain and nutrients from the soil.  So in essence, when you plant in Spring you give the tree the best opportunity to root and take hold. 

Sorry for preaching. 

J

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 07:08:55 AM »
So I lived in KY for about 8 years.  Absolutely beautiful state!

Here is a link to growing fruit for the home grower from the KY Ag Extension Website.

The KY Ag Extension has a huge website. Take some time to browse here, and you will learn a lot specific for KY.

Hope this helps!
Doc K

Offline Remington

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 06:38:22 PM »
In the mid west, late summer and early autumn is an ideal time to plant trees and shrubs. The long winter will give the plants more time for root development. This will lead to stronger plants in the springtime; and, ultimately, earlier fruit production in the actual life cycle of the plant. On the other hand, spring planting in this climate will lead to immediate above ground growth, but the root system will also be only just getting started--so will not be able to sustain as large of a plant as if it had a larger root system.

Just make sure to water daily until it gets too cold, and provide liberal amounts of mulch (as per KYdoomer's suggestion).

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 06:45:56 PM »
In the mid west, late summer and early autumn is an ideal time to plant trees and shrubs. The long winter will give the plants more time for root development. This will lead to stronger plants in the springtime; and, ultimately, earlier fruit production in the actual life cycle of the plant. On the other hand, spring planting in this climate will lead to immediate above ground growth, but the root system will also be only just getting started--so will not be able to sustain as large of a plant as if it had a larger root system.

Just make sure to water daily until it gets too cold, and provide liberal amounts of mulch (as per KYdoomer's suggestion).
This is also true here in Texas. Early fall is the best time for us, after the heat has relented a bit. Remington has given the exact reasons and the correct watering. One thing to add, always water the trees in the winter if a freeze is expected. Here, when one night can have a freeze and the next day be in the 80s and a couple of days latter, freeze again, it is too much strain on dry roots and can kill the tree.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 07:09:55 AM »
I've never had luck at this time of the year for planting.  However, I do not have much of a green thumb.

J

Offline ubergeek

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Numquam non paratus
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 09:05:08 AM »
I just ordered 2 Delicious apple trees, 2 Ayers pear trees and a Northern James pecan tree to plant. We'll see how they do over the winter. It doesn't get so terribly cold here, temperature zone 7 so we'll see how they do. They are all supposed to grow well in this climate.