Author Topic: Coupon Tips  (Read 48129 times)

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
Coupon Tips
« on: September 22, 2009, 06:36:47 PM »
Hi everyone.  I know most people don't think of coupons as a prep since they are a marketing device and disappear with the collapse of society if it ever comes. 

During my layoff I became a coupon junkie so I thought I'd share what I know and hopefully someone here can share and I can feed the habit.

Websites:

www.Coupons.com
www.Smartsource.com
www.redplum.com
www.Freebies4mom.com

Additional tips--I frequent www.walmart.com.  There is a section there (instore) and at www.Kroger.com on the website where you can find what free samples they have.  Free samples themselves are great but usually they come with excellent coupons.  I picked up a box of Kashi cereal last weekend for 25 cents.  I've gotten hotdogs and mustard for free.

Then of course there is the Sunday paper.  If you find a really good deal you can actually ask a convenient store for their leftover papers on Sunday night and stock up on coupons which helps you stock up on food.

This can only help a prepper who is trying to stock a larder.

Anyone with other tips/hints?

J

Edited by F_M to fix the links
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 11:20:09 AM by fritz_monroe »

Offline Sunnybrook

• Prepper
Re: Coupon Tips
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 09:44:09 PM »
I am a coupon clipping queen! I am a fan of the subscription based services where current coupons are matched up with weekly sales flyers and in-store sales.  At first I was not convinced it was worth my $ to pay for what I could do myself for free.  But if you don't know where to start, it's nice to have some hand holding and guidance.  I would recommend www.thegrocerygame.com  because they have a 30 day trial period for just $1.  They've got a huge forum and hints for newbies.  After the trial period you have to pay for the list for each store individually. (At $5/store it can be expensive!!)

My favorite is the cheapest service, and it just happens to be local to the DFW area, so I don't know if it would be helpful in other areas of the country.  This service is $10 a month and has lists for Tom Thumb, Albertson's, Kroger, Walgreen's, and CVS. www.sistersofsavings.com

Although I haven't used this one, www.couponmom.com, is recommended by Dave Ramsey.

The bottom line is to buy multiple Sunday papers and cut out coupons for items that you want to purchase.  Then try to buy in bulk when the item is on sale and you can use your coupon in conjunction and get a huge discount.  Sometimes you can find items for free or next to nothing.  Today I bought 4 bottles of 24 oz Hunt's ketchup for $1.80 or $0.45 each.  They were on sale for $0.95/bottle and I used two "$1.00 off two coupons".

Offline Sunnybrook

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 10:09:08 PM »
Here are a few more links to add to KYdoomer's list:

www.shortcuts.com
www.pgesaver.com
www.eversavebaby.com
www.eversave.com

Many of your favorite products will email or mail you coupons if you contact their customer service departments or sign up on their website. 

Wal-Mart sells a magazine called "All You" that is loaded with coupons!

Mary Hunt's free newsletter "Everyday Cheapskate" on www.debtproofliving.com has great hints as well.

DevilDoc

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 01:11:21 AM »
I got 20 progresso soup coupons from a person on ebay cost me 2 bucks shipping was a dollar.
50 cents off each can, great part is you dont have to add water.

Also Check for Lowes coupons 10% off this works great, i go 5 for 4.25 on ebay and I found out you can get these from moving packs at your post office for address change packets. good for making shelves to stock up on or other needs.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 01:31:06 AM »
Also Check for Lowes coupons 10% off this works great, i go 5 for 4.25 on ebay and I found out you can get these from moving packs at your post office for address change packets. good for making shelves to stock up on or other needs.

Home Depot also honors these coupons from Lowes. FYI.

Offline IRO-bot

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 04:34:24 AM »
Winn Dixie is a great place to shop if you live in the South.  They usually have some excellent buy one get one deals.  Right now at my store they have a deal where you buy 2 pizzas and you get 2 ice creams, 1 pizza rolls, 1 2 liter pepsi, and something else for free.  (forgot the last one)  It's like $12 worth of stuff.  They also have a breakfast deal.

I stocked up on some boxed pasta sides that were BOGO and Velvetta shells and cheese!

Offline cardon831

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 10:14:56 AM »
I subscribed to the following:  www.dealstomeals.com

They compile the sales ads for several stores in several states.  You choose your state (not everywhere yet), then the stores you want to compare to Walmart, Costo, and Sam's.  For example, I'm in Texas and where I live I choose HEB, Kroger, and Brookshire Brothers.  They highlight any sales from those stores that are cheaper than the discount stores in RED, those would be the items to buy extra for your storage.  Good deals show up in blue.  Then, they put menus together around the items on sale each week..  They also include a couple of food storage recipes (the whole eat what you store idea!) and some dessert ideas.  You get two weeks free, then it is 4.95 per month, a little more than $1.00 per week for the good sales and the menus. 

I was spending too much time each week going through the sales papers and trying to figure out what is the best deal, this is saving me hours each week, then not having to do menus myself, more time.  Worth so much more than the 1.00 a week I pay. 

They are having  a special this month, so if you decide to sign up, please use my name as a referral, would love to win the Bosch they are going to have a drawing for!   I'm cardon831@sbcglobal.net

Offline steeltownknight

• Survivor
  • Still Surviving
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 04:14:38 PM »
Great Tips  all !

For my fellow cannucks.    FLYERLAND.ca

will hook you up with some nice coupons online days before your neighbors get them via snail mail.

Offline WhiteStarNC

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 04:28:30 PM »
I am concerned that all of these sights require you to download software. Anyone have problems with spy ware,pop=ups or unsolicited email?

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 05:07:20 PM »
Great Tips  all !

For my fellow cannucks.    FLYERLAND.ca

will hook you up with some nice coupons online days before your neighbors get them via snail mail.

Very nice, thanks!

I'm so jealous of how organized coupon clipping is in the states.

HumeMan

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 05:43:14 PM »
I am concerned that all of these sights require you to download software. Anyone have problems with spy ware,pop=ups or unsolicited email?

The reason for the download, it keeps track of your coupon printing.  That way you cant print multiple copies.  Most well known sites require a download.  I've never had any spyware/adware from them.  But there always could be an evil fake site out there.

Offline StephanF-

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 03:56:41 PM »
One trick I ran across is to hold the coupons until about a month after they start the coupon campaign, they'll often do some other kind of sale to move the product more. That is the time to pounce with the coupons.

Offline ridge_runner

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 10:14:35 AM »
this site is really good. My wife uses it weekly.  Just an FYI for Publix shoppers, you can double coupons from competitors and CVS bucks can still be used even if you return an item.  She goes through the site showing you "how to" on coupons and the whole shooting match. 

http://www.southernsavers.com/

Offline Jason from PA

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 02:34:13 PM »
FYI, Home Depot is beginning to no longer honor competitor coupons if they are printed from a home printer. (Ironically, when I moved, my Lowe's coupon required me to go online, register and print.)  So we might see this one go the way of the buffalo.

But anyone with prior service and a copy of their DD214 can receive a military discount. Which is nice...

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 01:03:21 AM »
I keep thinking i should give couponing another try. Seems like it works for lots of folks but I rarely find coupons for anything I use.

Don't get a Sunday paper, but the few times I've purchased one for the inserts it wasn't even a break-even deal, so my money was wasted. The two groceries in town (45 min. away) do not accept internet coupons. The mom & pop grocery a few miles down the road does not accept coupons from any source.

The exception is Costo's coupon booklet, that usually has several for stuff I buy, but the nearest Costco is 2¼ hrs., one-way, and we only do that run a couple of times a year so I miss out on most of their deals. There's a Walmart in the other direction about 1½ hrs., one way. They still take internet coupons but again, mostly for stuff I don't buy.  >:(

Offline CrazyEli

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Crazy Eli's Comics
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 11:39:37 AM »

Great thread!

Another coupon resource:

http://www.redplum.com/

Offline cubancaucasian

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 12:38:06 PM »
This is an amazing thread.
Last night I was watching TLC and they had a show on called Extreme Couponing. This show really opened my eyes to the possibility of building your reserves for literally a couple of dollars!
If you get the chance - watch it. I've Never really been one to use coupons, but after watching this show, I'm a convert. 
Very exciting lessons to learn in a single hour.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 02:37:22 PM »
This is an amazing thread.
Last night I was watching TLC and they had a show on called Extreme Couponing. This show really opened my eyes to the possibility of building your reserves for literally a couple of dollars!
If you get the chance - watch it. I've Never really been one to use coupons, but after watching this show, I'm a convert. 
Very exciting lessons to learn in a single hour.

Saw it and could not agree more.  Apparently also I am very near the mecca of couponing geographically.

My take away lessons:  Use a clipping service and research like mad.

J

Offline Jason from PA

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 09:29:40 PM »
My wife heard about it. Someone told her there was a guy with a lifetime supply of deodorant but was still buying it.  She was rather critical, expressing that she would never actually pay for deodorant.  LOL

But that's because my wife is a coupon queen. My wife bought everything in the following two photos and made a net profit on the purchases. That's 12 packages of fish filets, and 96 cans of soup...essentially for free.

Basically, for gas points. But seeing as we have to fill up our vehicles. It works out well. We fill up our van, and get all this food for free (okay, actually, we're buying the food and getting $100 of gas for free, however you prefer to word it.)

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 06:52:07 PM »
Nice!

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 12:17:49 AM »
Home Depot 10% Military discount.

My dad uses this all the time. He even gets them to price match and then get the 10%. He quit shopping at Menards when they quit giving the same deal. ( I don't shop at Menards either, but that's a rant for another day.)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 03:14:53 PM »
Saw it and could not agree more.  Apparently also I am very near the mecca of couponing geographically.

My take away lessons:  Use a clipping service and research like mad.

J

Not sure what you mean by mecca of couponing..  We can't ever seem to find coupons for what we buy,...  Hmm..

Offline prepperdad

• Prepper
    • Prepper Dad's blog
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 03:38:31 PM »
Lowe's Hardware Store and Old Navy clothing also have permanent 10% discount for active duty military and their dependents.

Just an FYI!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:47:52 PM by prepperdad »

Offline kenser321

• Survivor
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 01:24:19 AM »
A new show is supposed to start on TLC Wednesday about couponing. The lady on the trailer mentioned she got over $600.00 in groceries and only spent about just short of $7.00.

Offline Prepper7

• Survivor
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 08:41:09 AM »
this site is really good. My wife uses it weekly.  Just an FYI for Publix shoppers, you can double coupons from competitors and CVS bucks can still be used even if you return an item.  She goes through the site showing you "how to" on coupons and the whole shooting match.  

http://www.southernsavers.com/

This is one of the best sites for how-to coupon tutorials.

ETA: corrected spelling
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 08:52:18 AM by Prepper7 »

Offline Prepper7

• Survivor
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 08:51:26 AM »
In addition to deal & match-up sites such as:

couponmom.com
dealseekingmom.com

There are coupon databases so that if one is headed out for specific items, one can search for those coupons:

DSM
MSQ

For couponing beginners, there are some nice 'getting started' tutorials:

Southern Savers
(I've been doing the ninja coupon thing for years, and the first time I visited Southern Savers, I learned several great tips)
laurawilliamsmusings
Couponing-101
another Couponing-101

Offline arikinthecity

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 12:12:57 AM »
The reason for the download, it keeps track of your coupon printing.  That way you cant print multiple copies.  Most well known sites require a download.  I've never had any spyware/adware from them.  But there always could be an evil fake site out there.

Just a reminder that if your printer may be low on ink you can go into the printer configuration stings and check the keep document setting. This can keep theprint job so you can reprint it again if the ink ran out or if the paper jammed. Of course one should not print the same coupon twice that would be immoral   

Offline Nicodemus

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 07:07:27 AM »
Though there are few, mainly manufacturer sites, I prefer the sites that don't automatically print so that I can "Print to pdf". This allows me to make multiple coupons in one pass.

Unfortunately, at the moment, I don't have a working printer apparently... I was bummed. through a post by a fellow prepper here I'd figured out a way to get Rigatoni Pasta for free this week and I was going to stock up.

Offline Arie

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 01:34:38 PM »
Coupons tend to be one of those "touchy topics" with most preppers that I know.  I can see both sides to it, really.

The non-couponers essentially tell me: "Coupons are put out by the manufacturers for you to buy their product, which is great for *now* but when the economy collapses, coupons (and money) is worthless paper.  Plus, you need to learn how to survive with out boxed/canned food."

To that, I say - valid point.  However, I stock pile things that are nonperishable, many of which I don't know how to, probably wouldn't want to, make myself.  (Feminine products, pasta, cleaning supplies etc.)  Yes - I see the point of needing a garden (we have one), knowing how to protect myself (I have and can use various fire arms), and how to fish/hunt/prep game (I'm an avid fisher-girl, but haven't gotten over killing "cute" things to eat them). 

My thought process is this - if I can use a coupon to get something for free (tooth paste, pasta, condensed soup, feminine products, body wash, laundry soap etc.) and I can make myself a stock pile of it... why does it bother someone if I have "an edge up" on TEOTWAWKI?  I may be one of the only non-hairy, non-smelly, carb filled, people with lots of hygiene products.

Now if only I could find coupons for free land....
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:49:59 PM by Arie »

Offline Nicodemus

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 06:53:02 AM »
I don't know if it is a result of the "Extreme Couponing" shows on television, but our local grocery stores are starting to crack down on the amount of coupons that will be accepted for each product. At two different stores there are signs that state "Three Coupons or Less Per Product" and at one store there is a sign that states "The Total Number of Coupons That Will be Accepted is Manager's Discretion. If you Intend to redeem more than X coupons in one order please go to the Customer Service Counter before shopping today."

If I had to guess, I think it's due more to the time and resources it takes to get people through the check out rather than the actual deals themselves though.