Author Topic: Found a nice article about cheap non-perishables  (Read 41664 times)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Found a nice article about cheap non-perishables
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 02:48:48 PM »
Here is a relatively recent article about salvage grocery stores... enjoy!

https://www.thebalance.com/salvage-grocery-stores-1388627

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 04:28:45 PM »
 8) Lots of articles in that link

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 12:51:56 PM »
I had a very happy experience at the salvage store in the ft. Worth TX area a few years back... I found an item that I had been completely unable to find for several years -- black walnut extract. This is a key ingredient in our family's old "Snowball" cookie recipe. They had a whole shelf full of bottles of this fabulous stuff so I probably bought 20 bottles to share with family... we are all now well-stocked with the extract for quite awhile. It seems to be very prone to evaporate once the bottle has been opened, so we take care to tighten the lid each year after the Christmas baking.

That find alone made it worth the trip.

Offline farmnurse

• Prepper
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 01:24:15 PM »
We have a couple around here. The main one, when it opened many years ago, had fantastic deals but since it has gotten very popular, you have to be careful and know what things normally go for because many times you are only getting 2-10% off and sometimes not even that

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 07:21:08 AM »
I see several in the Houston area. One fairly close to me. Now that I think about it I've gone to that store, oh wow, 40 years ago. And I drove by it every work day for 5 of the last 7 years. Dummy me.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 07:59:39 AM »
Earlier this year, while visiting the kids in the KC area, we found one and went in looking around. Prices weren't all that great on most things.
Mainly what I noticed was that most everything in there was expired according to the date.  :-\

Offline raginrick

• Prepper
  • Glad I Found TSP
    • allzombienews
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2018, 11:57:50 AM »
We have a few of these "salvage" stores here in So Cal. they don't offer much bargain though. Haven't been able to find much stuff to make it worth shopping there. I found that copy canning has been much more successful. We can be picky when choosing what to buy because we have an abundance of cans on our shelves. It has really helped us to be able to go in the garage and get cans we need and not have to run to the store daily/weekly.

Offline redrider

• Prepper
  • Purveyor of Post Drills
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2018, 12:20:47 PM »
It has really helped us to be able to go in the garage and get cans we need and not have to run to the store daily/weekly.
I LOVE this! But I didn't know it was called "copy canning". I had to Google it.

Thanks for the education.

rr

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2018, 12:25:36 PM »
I go to two different food salvage stores and have shopped at them for years. I go to a third when I am in the general area. I pop in when I am going by them, even if I do not need anything exactly, and often I do not buy anything. But the other day....

Bear Creek Soup - $0.99 cents for 6 servings. They are actually individual packs, but good for lunches, and for tossing into a thermos with boiling water for hiking. It is done by the time you are hungry. Also a good BOB food, and lasts on the shelf forever food. I bought 24 each of 3 varieties for a total of 432 servings. $71 for all of them, but I saved $175?
I scored https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Creek-Country-Kitchens-Creamy/dp/B0762PJSMS/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1516045029&sr=8-3&keywords=bear+creek+soup+mixes+single+serve

I bought two really cute single serve sized "something" cast iron pans for $1.99 and it came with a brownie mix I am not excited about, but I deem that as a bonus. They generally go for $20 each
https://www.amazon.com/Brownie-Skillet-Holiday-Potholder-Bundle/dp/B017V1SUEI/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1516045231&sr=1-4&keywords=mini+cast+iron+pan

Naked fruit drinks which are like $8 each, I routinely get for $1.99 (and the usual reason I pop in)

Quinoa which is $22 at Costco, I just bought six bags at $3.99 each

Turmeric Powder which is $30 for 2 pounds, I got for $6

Organic lamb and beef burger I get for around $3 a pound.

Cedar
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 12:42:31 PM by Cedar »

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2018, 07:49:23 PM »
We have a lot of the dollar trees and everything a dollar here in VA.. We also now have Lidil's and Aldi's stores as well. The last two are from Europe and the food is so much cheaper than our regular grocery stores. Most of the food comes from Europe. They say these are the main stores for them but much bigger. I have found some great prices on a lot of can goods and cereal, etc.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2018, 03:06:32 PM »
Maine has a great local chain of this type called Mardens.  I stop in when we visit family.  I have to be careful because the bigger store have very affordable fabric which feeds my sewing hobby.

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2018, 06:37:50 PM »
I to have a sewing hobby. Glad there are others on here that sew. I have been making baby blankets to use for barter one day but also I give them as gifts at baby showers. Even in a SHTF situation, there will be babies born. Need to keep those little guys warm.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2018, 07:57:34 PM »
My current project is an English paper piecing quilt.  I have couple of other throw blankets I need to finish quilting then I need to dig into making insulated roman shades for the house.  I picked up the shade fabric at Mardens for $4.50 a yard but I am procrastinating on digging out the craft room that has become a storage space dumping ground.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 07:42:29 AM »
My yarn, quilting fabric stash is taking up quite a bit of space in my master BR closet right now. I dream of a craft room with a good place to work/store all that stuff... the boys are older and will soon be out of college, so maybe then... I have not been adding to the stash recently, though. We don't have Marden's where I live... sounds like another good shopping place in some regions.

Also no salvage stores near where I live now... there are some advantages to living near a large population center, I guess.

Offline Corona

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2020, 06:43:54 AM »
even online stores are starting to run out of inventory. I had some luck on Amazon.com at first, but now even amazon seems to be running out. My last order was for rice and beans from Cajun.com, Received it in 6 days.