Author Topic: What is working for me...  (Read 1447 times)

Offline phil_in_cs

• Survivor
What is working for me...
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:25:24 AM »
I posted on my facebook that I'd lost 60lbs in a bit less than 2 years, so of course I got flooded with inquiries. I wrote this up for posting there, but thought I'd put it here too.

Summary: I am 46 years old. In about 2 years, I've lost 60lbs, from over 240 to 180. I am 5'8".  My waist is down from 40 to 32, and my chest size is up from 42 to 46. My moobs are also perky and firm, rather than all saggy...

It is interesting to me that I am still losing weight, as I am currently eating a large amount of food. However, it is quality food, spread out throughout the day, and I am pretty much avoiding eating crap.

I work out Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday are rest days.  Some of my 'rest' days can be pretty active, and if they are too active I will skip a workout to make sure I am getting my body enough recovery time.

I do not get enough sleep. I get 6 or 7 hours most nights, and try to get an hour or more nap on Saturday and Sunday. I feel like I need at least 8 hours per night, and with the middle aged guy wake up to go pee thing going on, I rarely can sleep 4 hours in a row. Since I get up at 5:30, I'd need to be getting to bed at 9 or earlier for 8 hours sleep. I haven't figured out how to get that done yet, since that really cuts back on my family time.

Monday to Friday schedule (on Wednesday I skip the workout, no other difference)
Wake 5:30, exercise.
2 minutes medium then 3 minutes sprint on exercise bike to wake up and warm up
Monday and Thursday:
Hang Clean (Currently 145lbs, 5 sets of 3 to 5. When I get all 5 of 5, I will bump the weight)
Front Squats (Currently 100lbs, 5 sets of 12 to 15. I need a squat rack/cage to prevent injury, since I don’t have a spotter)
Lunges (Currently 60lb barbell across my shoulders, 5 sets to 10 to 12)

Tuesday and Friday
Deadlift (Currently 145lbs, 5 sets of 3 to 5. When I get to all 5 of 5, I will bump the weight)
Military Press (currently 145 lbs, 5 sets of 3 to 5.)
Pushups with my feet elevated (Currently 5 sets of 15 to 20. When I get to 5 of 20, I will add weight somehow, likely a logging chain on my back)

I rotate the sets, as in Clean/Squat/Lunge/Clean/Squat/Lunge, with a two minute timed break between. If you keep the tempo up, you combine the weights with a cardio workout, and get both tasks done at the same time. You do this right and your heart will feel like it is exploding.

I change an exercise everything week or two to keep things new, staying in the basic pattern. Each six weeks it changes from a few really heavy weights for low reps to low weights and high reps. Your body will adapt to any exercise pattern, and to continue to improve you need to change what you do on a regular basis. Currently I’m doing the ‘few reps/heavy weights’ on the cleans and press, and the ‘lower weight/higher reps’ on the squats set.

After workout is shower. Before leaving the house, I eat 3oz cooked boneless/skinless chicken breast, and eat an apple on my way to work. At work I eat an oatmeal packet. I drink 3-4 16oz cups of black coffee, and a quart plus of water each morning.

10am snack is one oz of almonds and maybe a banana

Lunch varies, mostly protein and whole grains.

Mid afternoon snack is an apple, maybe some more almonds. Two plus quarts of water per afternoon.

Dinner varies, again I try to keep to proteins and whole foods. “If it comes in a box, don’t eat it”  or something like that.

8pm snack, 3oz cooked boneless/skinless chicken breast, with another quart plus of water.

Weekends vary quite a bit. I am much more active than I was (as in I can get out and do things without nearly having a stroke) and what I eat varies too. Portion control and quality foods are the key.

Sorry there’s no magic to this. I don’t use any supplements, no fat burning pills or magic wraps.  Note that the only change to my schedule from 2 years ago is that I get up 30 minutes earlier.  I get up at 5:30, and am in the shower by 6.

Recap:
Don’t eat so damn much
Get your ass off your couch
That’s about it!

A big thank you to Cliff (posts here sometimes as fitpro ) for helping me with this. What I’m doing is really simple, but we all try to make things too difficult. Cliff does a great job of keeping me focused on doing the basics, and nothing else.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: What is working for me...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 05:48:28 PM »
That's awesome Phil! 

Thanks for the outline & the tips.