Author Topic: Rabbit Meat and the Weather  (Read 1587 times)

Offline scrappy

• Senior Survivalist
Rabbit Meat and the Weather
« on: September 26, 2009, 09:41:53 PM »
I've heard from a number of folks here in central Texas that you should not eat rabbit until after the first freeze of the season.  Can anyone speak to that?  I haven't found anything convincing either way.  Nor have a heard "how long after the last freeze can you continue harvesting and eating rabbit.  Everything I have heard about it is fuzzy and "wives-tale-ish", yet nothing authoritative saying so.

I just took one out of my garden, but my wife isn't willing to eat it unless I can find some solid confirmation that there is nothing wrong with it.  Me, I like rabbit meat and usually figure it is better to be sorry than safe.   :o

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
Re: Rabbit Meat and the Weather
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 10:04:04 PM »
I've heard from a number of folks here in central Texas that you should not eat rabbit until after the first freeze of the season.  Can anyone speak to that?  I haven't found anything convincing either way.  Nor have a heard "how long after the last freeze can you continue harvesting and eating rabbit.  Everything I have heard about it is fuzzy and "wives-tale-ish", yet nothing authoritative saying so.

I just took one out of my garden, but my wife isn't willing to eat it unless I can find some solid confirmation that there is nothing wrong with it.  Me, I like rabbit meat and usually figure it is better to be sorry than safe.   :o

Check the liver, if it has spots on it--particularly white spots--throw the meat away.

Rabbits can carry Tularemia (sp?) which can transmit to humans through the meat (more so if undercooked). 

I see the reasoning behind the advice as the disease is carried by ticks and fleas I believe, but I'm not sure that the freeze would do anything about one that already has the disease.  The liver test should be a lot safer when combined with the after the first frost thing.

J

Vinny T. Firefly

Re: Rabbit Meat and the Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 12:51:31 AM »
It's a wives' tale. It has been attributed to many different diseases especially rabies. The theory behind it is that the rabbit, unable to care for itself due to disease will have already died. But, that doesn't mean there isn't risk. KYdoomer is right about the "liver check". I've been told by more than a few people, including vet techs, that, like humans, liver damage is a good sign of other problems. And, unlike humans, most wild animal problems are diseases.