Author Topic: Mini 1000 watt generator for home backup power  (Read 6013 times)

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
Mini 1000 watt generator for home backup power
« on: September 26, 2009, 10:38:58 PM »
Hey, I posted some videos in the video section on how I use on of those mini 1kw generators for my backup power. It wasn't getting much views so I thought I would post the link here. I show you how to check you furnace and figure out if it would work for you.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=8773.0

Offline bubtech

• Senior Survivalist
    • BUBWeb.com Websites starting at $10 per YEAR... WHAT!... YEAH!
Re: Mini 1000 watt generator for home backup power
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 10:58:38 PM »
good vid, amazing how little power we really NEED
B

Offline Cacinok

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 05:31:11 PM »
great series.  i didn't even know TSP had a video section. :-\

Offline NCprepper

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 03:18:42 PM »
FYI - There is a $50.00 off coupon in the Dec. 2009 issue of the NRA's "America's 1st Freedom" magazine, page 39, for a similar generator (800 watts).
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=66619
Price with coupon is $79.99.

Offline millwright

• Survivor
  • Cold War Relic
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 08:14:06 AM »
During hurricane Ike we used used 5.5 kw and 1 kw generator. The big one was mainly for the water heater and well (220v) appliances. After 3 days of trying to locate 10gal.\day fuel on my way to work in Houston, I bought the little gen.  We ran stand-by power 2-3 hours in the morning, a couple of hours around lunch, and 3-4 hours in the evening. This schedule kept the fridge cold, batteries hot, and wife tolerable. Once I put the small gennie on line fuel consumption dropped about 70%. The best reports I got, were for the Honda 3kw generators, very quiet and not too thirsty.

I put a separate 40amp dual breaker in the panel with a pigtail for the 220 outlet in the generator. IF YOU DO THIS-- TURN OFF THE MAIN TO THE PANEL!!!! IT MAKES LINEMEN VERY ANGRY WHEN THEY GET BIT BY BACK-FEED FROM A GENERATOR!! IT HAS ALSO MADE A FEW LINEMEN DEAD!!! If you are not comfortable with doing these changes please have a professional set it up for you.

5kw is enough to run the water heater only or the well only so there was quite a bit of power management going on. When running the small one i just used extension cords. I highly reccomend that everybody have a few #12 awg cords as smaller ones are not good for high amp-draw appliances.

Cooking was not an issue as I had changed electric stove to propane. Using the oven frequently and normal cooking for 3,  a regular 20 lb. propane bottle lasts 3-4 months.

Alternate Uses for Generators in the field
5kw. - Mig welder, plasma-cutter (low amp settings), air compressor, margarita machine.
1kw. - electric chain saw (starts every time I plug it in), blender.

Offline otierney

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 08:49:23 PM »
"Cooking was not an issue as I had changed electric stove to propane. Using the oven frequently and normal cooking for 3,  a regular 20 lb. propane bottle lasts 3-4 months."

I was wondering if you could give any more information about the set-up you have, maybe make, model, where the propane bottle is kept, etc. I've just never run across this as an option before.

Best regards,
Owen

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 09:27:24 PM »
IF YOU DO THIS-- TURN OFF THE MAIN TO THE PANEL!!!! IT MAKES LINEMEN VERY ANGRY WHEN THEY GET BIT BY BACK-FEED FROM A GENERATOR!! IT HAS ALSO MADE A FEW LINEMEN DEAD!!!

Not to mention you could be held legally responsible in the event that you cause property damage, injury or death to another person, civilly and even criminally.

Offline phil11

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 05:48:58 AM »
My company was generous enough to give us nice Honeywell generators after Hurricane Ike here in Texas. I would like some tips on installing a connection at the main, so as to shut it off and use the generator as needed. Any brands that are better than others?

Thanks

I also am fortunate enough to have nat gas for heating, hot water heater, dryer and stove\oven.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 10:48:18 AM »
I've been shopping for a gen for a couple months now.  I keep going back and forth between what I NEED and what would be good to HAVE.  I like the idea of being able to run the well pump (220vac) but I appreciate the need to keep enough fuel on hand to run a bigger one.  So having the small 1K unit sounds great, enough to run the fridge and in the winter it will run the blower on my heat.  I've even tried to justify a solar unit for 1K, but it gets costly very quick.

Not to mention, the cost of a 1K, quiet, fuel efficent unit is about the same as a 5K loud, thirsty unit.  But water is rather important.  still thinking...

Offline bubtech

• Senior Survivalist
    • BUBWeb.com Websites starting at $10 per YEAR... WHAT!... YEAH!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 03:09:29 PM »
I think the water aspect would be critically important... My suggestion would be see if you can find a backup well pump that the smaller gen can handle, if not or not reasonably then get the bigger one.
B

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 11:14:43 AM »
hadn't really thought of that.  I wonder if I could drop a hose down the well shaft and hit water?  If so, I just need one big enough to draw that distance.  Once the water is at the surface I'm good.

mtforge

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 10:22:09 PM »
Cooking was not an issue as I had changed electric stove to propane. Using the oven frequently and normal cooking for 3,  a regular 20 lb. propane bottle lasts 3-4 months.
My stove also is run on propane but I can't use the oven when the power is out. The oven uses a glow plug to light it and operate the gas valve. The stove top will work but I need to light it with a match. It's nice to check it by pulling the plug and seeing what still works.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 10:08:01 AM »
For something as simple as an oven that won't be on all the time, I've got a spare battery and small inverter (800 watt) that we can plug the stove into to power the solenoid valve and let the flame heat up the thermocouple/etc.

Now THAT would be pretty cool. Put a thermoelectric generator (Peltier junction) near the flame, and throw a battery into the case of the oven somewhere, and then not have to plug it in at all... *ponders*