Ahhh... the PVC pipes. Yepper, those are strawberries. They turned out pretty well; the problem is my yard is really shaded by douglas fir trees so any sunny area gets well used. I got those from a well drilling outfit, they are (or were) well casings that had a cracked ends. I dug a deep hole, placed the casing about 2-3ft deep and then dropped alot of rock and broken concrete inside. Over top of that, I put some weed barrier before I put the dirt in. I then used a hole saw to drill the openings for the strawberries. The idea was to provide good drainage and reduce the dirt from settling too much. I found that adding water to the top of the pipe was good enough to water everything in the pipe.
A couple of warnings:
1. My inital thought was to provide some sort of lip or outcropping in the PVC to provide a ledge for the strawberry plants. Yes, PVC can be heated and reshaped and yes, the fumes can make you sick.
2. Short of hard packing dirt in the pipe, you will get some settling so be prepared to add dirt to the top of the pipe thru the summer.
3. I did not have any problems with ants but, I was prepared to laydown a "girdle" of double sided tape about a foot off the ground to stop them.
4. The crossbeams were not to add strenght, the idea there was to provide a top support for plant twine trellises. The fence ended up providing the support for the plants.