Author Topic: Kudzu as a survival food  (Read 2884 times)

Offline minimalist

• Survivalist Mentor
Kudzu as a survival food
« on: September 28, 2009, 11:57:26 AM »
I took Jack's advice  in episode 284 to be able to identify an edible local plant, so i decided to check out eattheweeds.com. Well, one local plant I already knew was edible is Kudzu. In the south, Kudzu is a ubiquitous plant and is considered a pest. It grows very quickly and can engulf woodland areas, and grows unchecked in many areas. However, almost every part of the plant is edible (except the seeds).

In a SHTF survival situation, knowing a few locations where this plant grows could be a lifesaver. It grows very quickly, so you should be able to harvest it without hurting the plant too much. According to the website and video, Kudzu was introduced as a crop and was only later classified as a pest. I believe the plant will grow from cuttings, so if you were trying to start a survival garden, you might even try cultivating the plant although you would have to keep it well pruned to prevent it from engulfing your house. You might also be able to find Kudzu seeds.

The reason I post about Kudzu in particular is that it is such a ubiquitous plant in the American South and elsewhere, that lots of readers might be able to benefit from knowing where to find it and how to prepare it.

Eattheweeds.com has an in-depth page on Kudzu, as well as a video.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/www.EatTheWeeds.Com/EatTheWeeds.com/Entries/1943/3/15_Kudzu_Quickie.html

EatTheWeeds: Episode 73: Kudzu

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
Re: Kudzu as a survival food
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 12:30:19 PM »
Nice post minimalist!  I had no clue that Kudzu was edible!

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 01:54:26 PM »
Kudzu also makes a good animal feed.

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 07:40:06 PM »
Kudzu is also considered a pest species, bringing it into your state may get you into some trouble. It chokes out native plant life. Caused tons of trouble in GA and other deep southern states. Never heard that it was edible by people, have heard of using it as animal feed.

Offline minimalist

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 10:25:03 PM »
Yeah, I mentioned that it was a pest and I wouldn't suggest planting or cultivating it unless times get really desperate. It wouldn't surprise me if it is illegal in some states. But in desperate times, a crop that grows a foot or two per day is nothing to be laughed at. If you live in the south, you can probably find some kudzu without much effort and without the need to cultivate it. But even if it is illegal where you are, if times get desperate enough that you need to consider eating kudzu survive, I doubt you are going to be too concerned about the plant police coming to get you.