Author Topic: Haircutting at Home  (Read 3477 times)

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
Haircutting at Home
« on: September 29, 2009, 07:34:02 PM »
My wife has giving my two boys that still live at home and me all of our haircuts. She does as good a job as any barber I have ever been to.

To start doing this, she bought a book called 'Scissors and Comb Haircutting, A Cut-By-Cut Guide for Home Haircutters' by Bob Ohnstad. She also purchased scissors, a comb, a spray bottle and a smock like barbers put on their customers from a local supply shop.

After only 2 haircuts apiece, the cost of the book and supplies had been recovered. It is great, not having to spend the money on haircuts and I think we look better than ever before.

Offline Outdoorsben

• Prepper
Re: Haircutting at Home
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:15:36 AM »
I will agree with this 100%. I cut my hair pretty short. I use a #3 clip and just go at it. The buzzer cost me 25 bucks and the going rate for a haircut around here is 15 bucks. I've been doing it for about 2yrs now. So I've saved that much $$ plus the gas and time to actually go and wait.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:46:13 AM »
Yeah I have a "high and tight" on top off my bean and just started cutting my hair myself using two mirrors. It seemed like everytime I went to my local barber he was closed for lunch, bank run, etc so I just got fed up and started to do it myself. On the plus side I save 14 bucks every two weeks. :D

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 10:55:34 AM »
I started doing this a year or so ago. I bought a pair of clipper from Wal-mart for $30. Use a #1.5 on the top, #.5 on the sides. Then the wife comes and squares up the back and blends everything in. Takes about 10 minutes total and the cost savings keep growing every month.

Offline vicious

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Building a better future
    • Payne Country
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 12:40:41 PM »
My mother was a beautician right after highschool, and even though she wasn't one when I was born she always cut mine and my fathers hair. Now that I'm married with children I've lost the vast majority of my hair so I just shave it. My wife and kids go to the mother-in-law who is a practicing beautician to get theirs cut. I remember when haircuts were ~$6. I had no idea they were that expensive now, and I'm not that old.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 02:10:22 PM »
I remember when haircuts were ~$6. I had no idea they were that expensive now, and I'm not that old.

The local barber here still only charges $6.50 for a regular haircut. Other places are more I'm sure. But it was still something that I saw I could do myself and save a little cash.

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 06:24:27 PM »
Yep.  My wife has done mine for year on a $20 clipper set.

I like a #2 on the sides, a #4 on the top and then she uses a #3 to blend it in.

homeshow

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 06:27:33 PM »
my wife uses a #2on the whole thing and trims the back and sides without the guard.

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 07:20:02 PM »
my wife uses a #2on the whole thing and trims the back and sides without the guard.

You must trust your wife much more than I do mine!  lol

Offline sawtac

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bert the Turtle
    • Sawtooth Tactical
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 07:23:59 PM »
I cut my own hair.  I haven't paid for a haircut in two years.  ;)  I have the Wahl rechargeable and just clip the hair in the shower.  Easy cleanup and since it's all a #2 (most of the time) or #1 (when it's really hot) it's really easy.  I can't think of any reason I'd change back now.

Offline spitstickler

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 09:03:54 PM »
Me too. I've done my own for 6 or 7 years and have done my 3 year old sons since he came back with my wife from the rip off kid haircutti g place with half a hair cut. Guys hair is really not that hard to do. If you've not done it before, just don't take a lot off at first and keep working all the way around the head. You can always cut more off later but it's pretty hard to put it back on. :).

Of course the simple method is to just put on the clipper guards and mow it off. (that's how I cut mine)