Author Topic: Only if you are DONE having children  (Read 5392 times)

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
Only if you are DONE having children
« on: September 30, 2009, 10:48:02 AM »
This is just an FYI, because I have had it done, and am happy with the results.  LIke I said...this is ONLY if you are done with your family, OR have no intention of bearing children.  At 45, I am done with birth control pills and don't want to have to worry about it anymore.

Back in May, I had the Essure procedure done.  It is permanent birth control that does not involve getting CUT ON.  The basics are this:  two titanium micro-coils are inserted into your fallopian tubes.  Your body grows around and through the tubes to create a permanent barrier.  No more eggs dropping, no more birth control worries.

The procedure can only be done by certain doctors.  Do your homework if you intend to have it done. 

It is a two part procedure, because the results are verified 90 days later to determine that the tubes are blocked.

This does NOT keep you from having a period, but it also does not involve drugs.

I may be having a separate procedure soon to deal with menstruating, since there is no point for me anymore.

Baby Girls

Re: Only if you are DONE having children
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 02:46:22 AM »
The clulp73,
I danced around for some time with the same issue do I or don't I. My opinion to you is, if you are not sure don't do it. I got pregnant and we debated while I was pregnant, sadly 8 weeks in we lost the baby. Thankfully we rode the wave and did not cut the ties off. Still, we were in the same boat as you describe, unsure. We felt that we needed to make a decision but for us it just didn't fell right when we talked about a permanent end. A year later we got pregnant again, we weren't trying but we did. When we had our third child, a girl, we just knew that was it for us. Like I said my opinion is if your unsure don't. You don't want to cut off ties to later discover that you regret doing so. I hope this helps you in your decision.
Baby Girls

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 10:25:54 AM »
Completely agree with Baby Girls.  A permanent solution is only if you are absolutely sure.

Offline kimber

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 05:12:49 PM »
Avoid tubal ligation. The side effects are horrible!!!! If I could un-do it I would!!

Offline Vashti

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 06:46:14 PM »
We're pregnant with our 5th and this is it for us. I've been trying to decide what to do about birth control and it's driving me crazy. I'd really rather do something natural if at all possible, but family planning (using a calender to determine fertile times of the month) seems so risky to me. Condoms don't last forever in storage, and we're not really fond of using them anyway. All the pills, IUDs, and other procedures and drugs can cause side effects. Ugh...we have so many options, but so little options...know what I mean? I'm considering an IUD, but I'm not sure how they are removed (need to do a bit more research), so I don't know if they are wise to have in a survival situation. If it's time to take it out, and you don't have access to a medical facility, are you screwed?

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 01:56:18 PM »
I have had an IUD for the past 9 years, it was the best birth control option for me and I have been more than delighted with the results. I'm coming up on the decade marker next year, hooray for ParaGard, so I'll likely have to replace it then with a fresh one, which is all done at the same time. While my menstrual flow is a little heavier, I would not trade the convenience and security for the world. Also, in a PAW it can be removed if needed by someone with a small degree of medical training since it neatly folds in on itself for removal should it ever come to that.

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 03:26:13 PM »
Haven't been back to this in a while.

Any sort of decision regarding PERMANENT birth control should be done with careful thought, and VERY thorough investigation.

While "I" haven't had any issues whatsoever with my procedures, it seems other women have.  It's the same with almost any procedure you would have done.

Ebonearth hasn't had any issues with the IUD.  I chose not to go that route because of the idea of something that would (most likely) cause heavier periods.

It seems there is yet another procedure, very close to the same one that I had, except it uses silicone for the micro coils instead of titanium.

I made my choice based on several factors:  1. No hormones involved.  2. No CUTTING involved...for me OR my husband.  3. It is indeed permanent when the procedure is performed correctly.  4.  It was covered by my insurance.  5. It had been "on the market" for more than five years already.  6.  Titanium is already used in several other procedures, and while it IS a metal, is not generally rejected by the human body.

THAT BEING SAID...

Discuss the options with your spouse first.  You have to both decide that the time has come to do something for a permanent solution.

My husband DID say he was willing to get a vasectomy.  In my view, this was better, because there was no cutting and less down time.  We both live VERY active lifestyles and I didn't want him to have to take care of me for weeks, and CERTAINLY didn't want him in bed for a week or more.  My husband = BAD PATIENT.

You have to make your priorities and make your decision from there...

Offline Ragzilla

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 07:50:03 PM »
forgive my intrusion.

I had two (first one didn't take) vasectomies about 20 years ago.  It was quick and easy.  I was able to walk out of the 1/2 hour appointment.  spent a saturday with a bag of frozen peas in my lap.  After that everything was great.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:08:27 PM »
Ebonearth hasn't had any issues with the IUD.  I chose not to go that route because of the idea of something that would (most likely) cause heavier periods.
I should add that my insurance would not cover any permanent procedures due to my age (I was 26 when I purchased the IUD) so it was and remains the safest apparatus available. I'm not certain that my insurance will cover any permanent procedures at 36, particularly because I am still childless and fertility medicine has come quite a ways in a decade. Something to consider for the young lasses among us!

Offline A mazed

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 01:47:21 AM »
I had 4 kids and a divorce and a tubal by the time I was 24, never regretted it! When they come 2 at a time it doesn't take long!!
I have 6 Grandkids now life is good...... ;D

Rara Avis

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 07:57:20 PM »
I haven't had any yet. Don't know if I want any, because I don't like the looks of things for our country and where it is headed. Right now I am single again, and am glad I didn't have children that would have be involved in that mess. I am still young, I will turn 34 this year...but can't quite imagine starting a family now. My mother had me when she was 35, I am her last one. 
If I don't get married again anytime soon, I would consider having it done...periods and birth control suck.

I can live with the idea of never having any children. It never was anything I couldn't wait to begin. Kids are great, I have nothing against them.

Offline Chris70

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 08:44:42 PM »
2 kids 2 c-section and a tubal and i never regretted. take your time and think about it for a while.

Offline Rorschach

• Survivor
  • ...sombody knows why. Somebody knows!
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 09:51:52 PM »
If your looking for something 'natural' I would choose the Creighton Model.  It is taught in many places around the united states.  It was developed by Dr. Hilgers(OB/GYN) in Omaha, NE.  The web site is http://www.popepaulvi.com/home.html which you can find a phone number to contact and hopefully find an educator near you.  My wife and I have used it.  It can be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy.  It is a charting system based on the cyclical nature of alternating estrogen then progesterone effects on the production of cervical mucous.  This may seem gross, but the signs can be easily noted with a sample from simply wiping on the skin externally.  The institute is very intentially Roman Catholic, but we are not.  We chose this because I am have significant concerns about the nature of artifical hormones in birth control.  Talk with a nurse sometime if they have ever seen a young women in the hospital with a pulmonary embolism, there is a high likelyhood that they have been on birth control, even more so if she smokes.  Although, this is still not very common, it is a concern, and I think there are others.  Dr. Hilgers has progress past fertility issues to treating other gynecologic problems, but that is for another day.  I have come to know several other people using this method for fertility management who are very pleased with it.  Hopefull this is helpful.